Cost to process & ship fish caught in AK?

jenonymous

We did halibut fishing off a head boat in Homer. The fish processing people met us at the but and picked up the fish. We drove to the processing plant and gave them our credit card number and told them to ship it to a neighbor as we were not going to be home. The plant gave us a guestimate of the total cost but basically we signed a blank check for the processing and shipping.

I do not remember the exact cost but it was not cheap. The fish was great but it will probably be the most expensive fish you have ever bought.

However, what the heck. Money is earned to be spent on good stuff. You only live once.

DON

We booked a salmon charter in Ketchikan for this July were told that it's a minimum of $100 for processing and shipping. Not sure if it's the same for all companies. At least that give you a starting point.

We were also quoted the $100 minimum in Ketchikan. The actual processing fees seemed to range from $2-$3 a pound, but with the overnight shipping it ends up being more like $7 a pound (which is still way cheaper than wild caught salmon in my grocery store!).

In a review for one of the fishing excursions I'm looking into, someone commented something like, "you could keep your fish and have it sent home but this starts at $100 so nobody ever does it, it's just not cost effective". This made me think the prices given for this trip were outrageous (in comparison) but it sounds very typical?

We had the same quotes for processing in Ketchikan, but got a much better deal in Icy Strait Point. We paid somewhere between $5-$6 per pound (inclduing shipping home), and the Captain cleaned our halibut for us at no charge. That was roughly the same deal we got last time we fished there before that. Like Ketchikan, every other place we fished either had a minimum or a decently higher per pound cost. Not useful if you aren't going to ISP (I don't think it was your list of ports), but there is at least one one port where it won't break the bank.

L.J.

It has never been less than $100 on at least 10 trips my family has taken.

IF you want to save money- a couple times, they have fished the day before leaving, Anchorage, had it professionally packed and sent via checked baggage (we don't have any bag limitations or fees- so you need to verify what the extra rates are). This is a major benefit of a northbound cruise and independent travel.

Caught 35 salmon of bridge in 01 released all you be wise to do the same .Cost me 10 dollars for lic. and 5 for lures. Good luck

This isn't good salmon anyway, but there are many pros and cons for catch and release.

I should've added...we are looking to fish out of Ketchikan (only going here, Juneau, Skagway & Victoria, on a large family trip so not even a choice of itniterary...this time!) Honestly, I don't know that $100/min sounds like too much to us - once in a lifetime and all. I just wasn't sure if that was typical and if not, what I should expect. Thanks for the info all!

DH has fished all over Alaska. We usually bring our fish home on the plane (excess luggage charges are a darn sight cheaper than FedEx). But you won't have that option.

We have had fish processed in Seward, Homer, Ninilchik, Kenai, Juneau, Anchorage and Soldotna. The price is pretty similar no matter where you go. No more than $.10 pound different one way or another is about all so very small in the scheme of things. Here is a chart with processing and shipping costs which is pretty representative of most of Alaska. FedEx has fixed contracted rates out of ALL of Alaska for fish and game shipping to the lower 48 so you will pay the same price out of Juneau that you pay out of Homer or Anchorage.

http://www.welovefish.com/seafood-processing.htm

Don't forget-you pay for processing weight of the ENTIRE fish. You pay shipping on the processed fish weight. Cleaned fish sent to the processor yields about 40-50% processed weight. Example: You send two halibut to the processor. You PAY to process the ENTIRE weight of the fish-let's say 100 pounds for two fish. But you ONLY pay to SHIP 50 pounds because that is what is left after the fish is scaled, fileted and vacuum packaged.

Edited by greatam

Great website - thanks! and WOW! But then again, WOW on the amount of fish you're getting too :)

Good thing I have a large, extra freezer!

When are you planning this fishing excursion? Fishing for salmon and halibut requires very specific timing to have a great catch. As a general guideline-Early June is King season (hard to catch and you can only keep certain ones), reds show up in late June/early July. Silvers show up in August.

Halibut fishing is limited in some areas. Seward restricts halibut to 1 fish per day. Homer and other areas you are allowed two fish per day. Halibut are EASY to catch. JMHO, you don't want to waste money on an excursion where you are limited to how many halibut you can catch.

Good luck

• 2 years later...

As a non resident, the Halibut limit is 1 fish per day...2 in total possession!

BUT wait....you are now limited to the size you can keep... has to be under 42" and 40 lbs or over 230 lbs!!! Since the majority of halibut caught are in the 60 to 120 lb range....YOU CANT KEEP THEM......

this means ,counting licence, tax, shipping, box, processing and charter+ tip for fishing where you are allowed to keepa 40# fish that dressed out to a net of 25 lbs your net net cost per pound is $22.00!!!!

YOU CAN BUY FRESH FOR UNDER $ 14

As a non resident, the Halibut limit is 1 fish per day...2 in total possession!

BUT wait....you are now limited to the size you can keep... has to be under 42" and 40 lbs or over 230 lbs!!! Since the majority of halibut caught are in the 60 to 120 lb range....YOU CANT KEEP THEM......

this means ,counting licence, tax, shipping, box, processing and charter+ tip for fishing where you are allowed to keepa 40# fish that dressed out to a net of 25 lbs your net net cost per pound is $22.00!!!!

YOU CAN BUY FRESH FOR UNDER $ 14

And you can view pictures of Alaska, Fishing, dang just about anything for FREE. Just google the images you want, don't need to leave your warm couch nor your iPad.

We caught 5 nice size salmon, can't remember the exact price to ship home but was over 100bucks, yes more expensive than bought at costco, but when we had them thru the summer BBQ on plank, priceless :D

• 2 weeks later...

Shipping the fish home will give you really awesome souvenirs to give to family/friends!

Real fish that you caught on your trip!

We shipped fish on our most recent trips to Alaska.

It costs a lot, but well worth it, IMHO. :o