Legend of the Seas Borneo Cruise March 2013 Picture Review

The only negative was my time dining as we had to wait up to 2 hours to be served.

We're boarding Legend on Saturday and have booked MTD and I was a little concerned to read this. Did you prebook your dinner times or just turn up without an allocated booking. And are you saying that you waited up 2 hours every single night?

Edited by Bobal

We're boarding Legend on Saturday and have booked MTD and I was a little concerned to read this. Did you prebook your dinner times or just turn up without an allocated booking. And are you saying that you waited up 2 hours every single night?

We're not sailing until next year and hope whatever problems they're having with MTD are worked out soon.

I'm still not quite understanding which cabin categories have an IPad and whether all cabin categories have the keypad for the safe.

Hopefully when you come back you can share your experiences.

Bon Voyage.....enjoy your cruise. :)

Where was soot coming from? The smoke stacks? I've only had a balcony cabin once but never heard of that before.

What's with the passport collection? I haven't encountered that on a Caribbean cruise before.

And more importantly!!!! LOTS has escargot?

Edited by Jtm2233

We had prebooked MTD many weeks before the cruise as we usually do. We prefer 7pm but the 1st night that was not available and took the 6.45pm slot with following 7pm for the rest of the cruise. On boarding we had to pass through MDR where our timeof eating was confirmed along with our friends link booking. All was fine although the couple ahead of us were asked to delay their 6.30 slot. They were not happy but agreed. First evening the 4 of us waited 30 minutes in prebooked line before being seated. Somewhat irked to see people with no prebooking being seated but put it down to the fact there were 4 of us.We waited at least 30plus minutes for our first course to be served. Second night we were in the prebooked line for 50 minutes and were seated with 4 others all equally irked but all of us treating the experience with good humour. 4 Brits and 4 USA. We must have all been invisable. My DH went to Guest Services and they contacted the head man on deck 5 dining room Rodriquo who finally took our order and we had our 1st course served at 8.50. I must add that my DH has diabetes on medication and eating within set times are a priority. The entire dining team were extremely nice and we at no time were unreasonable all having a sense of humour!! We met with restuarant manager and he agreed the MTD had been oversold and that a large percentage of cruisers were on the early sitting. We agreed to move our dining time to 8pm and had good service and were bumped up to the Gold card area in MDR for breakfast and lunch on sea days. However this was not our choice but a compromise. We are D+ and this has never happened before but with more people requesting MTD and we were in a group of 4 it became a problem. Perhaps RCI need to restrict numbers able to move outwith 2 sittings.

The cruise was wonderful staff all excellent and I am sure this problem will be ironed out. Enjoy your cruise.

Scotland01 - many thanks for your reply. I do think RC have to realise that more people are wanting MTD and they need to increase the number of tables they allocate. Our first ever MTD was on Legend 4 years ago and it worked very smoothly, but then it had just been introduced and hadn't gained such popularity.

There are only 2 of us and we tend to eat late (although sailing from Italy that could cause more of a problem). I'm glad to hear that otherwise your experience was good. Thanks again. :)

We had an iPad last year on Splendour otS in a JS...

That's great news. I knew that Splendour was supposed to be the first ship to get them but there was such a long delay and I didn't realise they'd been introduced.

On another note you are on our sailing and I have posted on the roll call that they have published the Meet & Mingle date and those of you boarding in Genoa will be able to attend :)

Edited by Bobal

Thank you for advice about transportation. We did as you suggested and very quickly were found a van to take us to Clarke Quay on April 2. Just loved Singapore. Took your advice and stayed up the first evening. We took a taxi to Gardens on Bay and watched the marvelous light display. Had a walk around the Quay and found the supermarket for water! Next day we went to Raffles and had the Singapore Sling in the Long Bar. The doorman showed us wrought iron work and stain glass specially made in Glasgow where we live. Very Rennie Macintosh. We went to the top of Marina Sands wow that pool! Felt very safe walking around Clarke Quay. Next day took a tour organised by CC member. Brilliant visited Sentosa and saw all the tourist spots in the city ending up in Orchid Gardens. Noted orchid named after Margaret Thatcher was almost dead. Freakily she died a few days later.

We were lucky to be upgraded to JS when we checked in a nice wee bonus!! Just as well as stateroom 6058 had poor storage and no fridge.

The only negative was my time dining as we had to wait up to 2 hours to be served.

So many Diamonds there was an overflow upstairs in Viking Crown. Poor Andrew was runing back and forwards. Such a nice chap. Passed on your good wishes.. The coffee machine was constantly breaking down with so much use!

We loved all the ports and it certainly was a holiday of a lifetime. All your information helped the anticipation and we found the secret staircase!!!!!!

Thank you again Margaret from Scotland

Dear Margaret,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Singapore and you enjoyed your cruise!

Take care and happy cruising!!

Thanks a lot for this excellent review and all the pictures.

We're going to cruise on the legend of the seas in september and were eager to see how she looked like after the revitalization.

I'm a little concerned about the my time dining discussion aswell - allthough last year on the grandeur it was no issue at all, we were a group of 4 (+ a 9 month old) and always got a table immediately without prebooking.

Thanks a lot for this excellent review and all the pictures.

We're going to cruise on the legend of the seas in september and were eager to see how she looked like after the revitalization.

I'm a little concerned about the my time dining discussion aswell - allthough last year on the grandeur it was no issue at all, we were a group of 4 (+ a 9 month old) and always got a table immediately without prebooking.

We pro-booked our My Time Dining and we didn't have a problem. In fact, we were always given the same table and were served by the same MDR waiter, which was nice.

However, I'm not sure what the experience was like for other cruisers who didn't pre-book.

We did pre book MTD several weeks before cruising and time was confirmed on boarding. However it was obviously over subscribed and the 1st sitting was full. 5th deck dining manager and Hotel Director Francois were aware of this.As I said before we were willing to change to a later time. Not so others. A couple we met were so angry that they demanded all their pre paid tips be refunded for the entire cruise Singapore to Rome. A bit over the top!!!

We did pre book MTD several weeks before cruising and time was confirmed on boarding. However it was obviously over subscribed and the 1st sitting was full. 5th deck dining manager and Hotel Director Francois were aware of this.As I said before we were willing to change to a later time. Not so others. A couple we met were so angry that they demanded all their pre paid tips be refunded for the entire cruise Singapore to Rome. A bit over the top!!!

Yeah. I figured more people want to eat early rather than late.

During our cruise, the MTD staff did advise us to go early so that they can seat us early. The MDR doors opened at 6pm. We were never later than 5:50pm ath the MTD counter on Deck 5.

During our cruise, the MTD staff did advise us to go early so that they can seat us early. The MDR doors opened at 6pm. We were never later than 5:50pm ath the MTD counter on Deck 5.

Good advice thank you :o

Left ship at Dubai. Spoke to Francois Hotel Director on last night and he was talking about concerns over day 21 to 24 so guess you are through with no problem. We were upgraded from 6058 toJS 8044. Our friends were in 6050 and disappointed with lack of fridge and poor storage in stateroom. We also had problems with My time dining. Otherwise wonderful cruise.I pads only fitted our second week. Has satellite news been restored?

We had armed security on board but absolutely no problems through gulf of Aden. Likewise with all Egyptian ports - no sign of unrest and all locals were friendly - especially the vendors :)

You wouldn't believe it, we had 8044 for Dubai to Rome leg. It was a great stateroom.

My time dining was hassle free, we got there 10 minutes early and always walked straight in. We had same table every night apart from the three nights we had the dining package (and the overnight we did in Cairo)

Some satellite news channels were out most cruise but all were working last few days.

Brian

BTW, We passed on your regards to Andrew. As did others because he said he felt like a movie star with all the compliments he had been getting. Coffee machine behaved itself and wait staff were excellent.

BTW, We passed on your regards to Andrew. As did others because he said he felt like a movie star with all the compliments he had been getting. Coffee machine behaved itself and wait staff were excellent.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

We had armed security on board but absolutely no problems through gulf of Aden. Likewise with all Egyptian ports - no sign of unrest and all locals were friendly - especially the vendors :)

You wouldn't believe it, we had 8044 for Dubai to Rome leg. It was a great stateroom.

My time dining was hassle free, we got there 10 minutes early and always walked straight in. We had same table every night apart from the three nights we had the dining package (and the overnight we did in Cairo)

Some satellite news channels were out most cruise but all were working last few days.

Brian

Gosh that is funny your having "our" JS!! We did leave it clean and tidy(joking). Poor Noel 2 weeks of our Scottish accent followed by 2 weeks Aussie!!! Good to hear Andrew coping. His mother was in one of the ports and was concerned that he had lost weight!! He was sad to to have met a nice lady friend and I told him he was "an unclaimed treasure". He said he would pass that to his mother!!!!

Gosh that is funny your having "our" JS!! We did leave it clean and tidy(joking). Poor Noel 2 weeks of our Scottish accent followed by 2 weeks Aussie!!! Good to hear Andrew coping. His mother was in one of the ports and was concerned that he had lost weight!! He was sad to to have met a nice lady friend and I told him he was "an unclaimed treasure". He said he would pass that to his mother!!!!

Pretty clean, just some leftover haggis in the fridge :)

Noel was lovely. And "your" JS was a very nice suite - and directly under the diamond lounge so we were never far from home.

I don't know how anyone could lose weight on a cruise ship but I guess it is different for staff. Andrew seemed to be going non-stop.

Just had to chime in here, having returned from Legend yesterday and seeing the last few comments. We were just a few doors along from 8044 and also had the very sweet and very efficient Noel.

Since you were concerned about Andrew being rushed off his feet you'll be pleased to hear the last cruise was really quiet and he had time to relax a bit more. He's a real treasure isn't he - we loved his sense of humour.

As for MTD, they really have to sort it out. It seems to have done an about-face (as I expected) and now it's sailing from the Med everyone wants to eat later. The system with only one desk in operation and a line of up to 40 people at some times is just illogical. When we asked why they couldn't operate one desk for those who had booked and one for those who turned up on spec, they said it was due to language differences and would be too hard to explain to customers :confused: OK, so put a note in the stateroom of each person using MTD explaining the system.

Since our cruise was fairly quiet in the first few days and had a number of travel agent groups onboard who were presumably on Main Dining, I can only see this getting worse until someone is prepared to take the logical solution - I did suggest it on my feedback form, but doubt whether that will make a difference.

We did enjoy the cruise though, and thought the food very good.

Just had to chime in here, having returned from Legend yesterday and seeing the last few comments. We were just a few doors along from 8044 and also had the very sweet and very efficient Noel.

Since you were concerned about Andrew being rushed off his feet you'll be pleased to hear the last cruise was really quiet and he had time to relax a bit more. He's a real treasure isn't he - we loved his sense of humour.

As for MTD, they really have to sort it out. It seems to have done an about-face (as I expected) and now it's sailing from the Med everyone wants to eat later. The system with only one desk in operation and a line of up to 40 people at some times is just illogical. When we asked why they couldn't operate one desk for those who had booked and one for those who turned up on spec, they said it was due to language differences and would be too hard to explain to customers :confused: OK, so put a note in the stateroom of each person using MTD explaining the system.

Since our cruise was fairly quiet in the first few days and had a number of travel agent groups onboard who were presumably on Main Dining, I can only see this getting worse until someone is prepared to take the logical solution - I did suggest it on my feedback form, but doubt whether that will make a difference.

Glad you had a fairly good time on the Legend!

You are from the UK right?

We just booked a cruise sailing out of Southampton, UK, in late May 2014, on the Adventure of the Seas.

Can't wait!!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Shame the MTD not sorted out. Agree with what you said about the food. Cruise food is cruise food but we all felt that it was of a higher standard than on other RCI ships. Our friends complained to RCI about lack of fridge and poor storage in their 6050 balcony and just had a reponse telling them to always check layout of stateroom before booking!!!! We rarely went to Windjammer and enjoyed salads in Park Cafe. We also had a memorable meal in Chops.After 30 odd cruises with RCI we are on our first Celebrity one to the Black Sea in Sept.

Have done a couple P&O to the Caribbean and booked on Ventura next Jan. Happy Cruising

Glad you had a fairly good time on the Legend!

You are from the UK right?

We just booked a cruise sailing out of Southampton, UK, in late May 2014, on the Adventure of the Seas.

Can't wait!!

We are sailing on Adventure April 20 2014 Miami to Southampton. After all the brilliant info. you shared with us prior to our Legend April 5 cruise maybe we will be able to share some Adventure info. with you! Where are you sailing to? I believe she is having a re-fit prior to our sailing. Margaret in cold damp Scotland