Legend of the Seas Borneo Cruise March 2013 Picture Review

Hope the soot isn't too bad for you.

Deck 8 aft balconies are quite unsheltered, making them a very good place to sun-tan. I think Deck 7 aft balconies are a little more sheltered. Maybe they won't get so much soot.

Enchantment On aft Deck 8 we got soot while at Coco Cay. Called and they washed our balcony.

Iluvcruising2,

As promised, I checked out the Costa Atlantica on a 5D4N cruise ex Singapore.

Ship docked at 2 pm today, we were off the ship at 2.30 pm, and home at 3 pm.

Our first impressions...

The good --- pretty ship, great production shows

The bad --- smoking!

The ugly --- uncouth behaviour of tour passengers.

Will write more another day.

Our next cruise will be "back to RCI" on Mariner in November.

Keep cruising...:cool:

Iluvcruising2,

As promised, I checked out the Costa Atlantica on a 5D4N cruise ex Singapore.

Ship docked at 2 pm today, we were off the ship at 2.30 pm, and home at 3 pm.

Our first impressions...

The good --- pretty ship, great production shows

The bad --- smoking!

The ugly --- uncouth behaviour of tour passengers.

Will write more another day.

Our next cruise will be "back to RCI" on Mariner in November.

Keep cruising...:cool:

So, how would you compare Costa versus RCI overall?

We are not booked on the Mariner. Just booked on the Adventure of the Seas next June.

Keep cruising!!

Just found this review and pictures, thank you so much. We are on the Legend Feb 3 in one of the new Panoramic Ocean View cabins.

In the Diamond lounge you could have mixed drinks? On the Vision it was in the Viking Crown and we could just have beer and wine and soda.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this, I loved the pics.

An absolute gem of a review. The updates look amazing. We were on the Legend on her inagural cruise thru the Panama Canal in 1995, and to Hawaii in 1996. It is hard to believe she is 18 years old. Places looked familiar tho, as I saw my favorite bar seat in one of the photos.

You now have me re-thinking the idea of the Oasis transatlantic vs another PC cruise on this beauty. Thanks again for the review. It is great to see a part of the world I know I'll only visit in pictures, (bad flyer). Someone said you should be an ambassador for Singapore, and I whole heartedly agree. I have to say the pix from Izumi's looked to be much more robust than the Caribbean sailings on Oasis. Maybe the local produce was better in Singapore. I was drooling. Happy cruising!

So, how would you compare Costa versus RCI overall?

Keep cruising!!

Cruising is a personal thing. On CC, one reads of two CC members on the same cruise reporting two different experiences and reactions to the same cruise, depending on the individual's expectations and personal standards.

My first and only cruise experience with Costa is in my blog:-

http://daddytravel.blogspot.sg/search/label/cruise

I cued DW to be tolerant and to a low expectation and we enjoyed our time on the ship and on shore. There are others who were disappointed.

As intimated, personally, my next cruise will be on RCI.

Have you thought of doing a blog? Your reviews and photos are so great that I am sure it would be wonderful to read. And you could post links from the Cc threads.

Thanks. I will be on the LOTS next year for the TA and Fijords cruises b2b. Dd you see the new Panoramic ocean view cabins, by any chance?

Anne

I was thinking along the same lines. ILuvCruising2's photos are so remarkable that he should make a book of it - maybe RCL would want to publish it.

I had been searching for two days for information on LOS since I will be taking the October 2013 cruise to Greece. I couldn't find any reviews or information on the refurbished ship and whether people enjoyed the voyage or not, until I came across your post.

Thank you so much.

I have one question. When the boat was put in dry dock and refurbished, do you know if the engines were replaced also ?

Edited by Mahya

Just found this review and pictures, thank you so much. We are on the Legend Feb 3 in one of the new Panoramic Ocean View cabins.

In the Diamond lounge you could have mixed drinks? On the Vision it was in the Viking Crown and we could just have beer and wine and soda.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this, I loved the pics.

You are welcomed.

Yes, you could have mixed drinks in the Diamond Lounge. During evening hours, they have 2 dedicated bar tenders in the Lounge to serve you drinks. They can make any mixed drink you want from the available bottles, which I believe I posted a pic of.

I'm not much of a drinker other than red wine and beers. But for this trip, I tried cranberry vodka and Bourbon coke.

An absolute gem of a review. The updates look amazing. We were on the Legend on her inagural cruise thru the Panama Canal in 1995, and to Hawaii in 1996. It is hard to believe she is 18 years old. Places looked familiar tho, as I saw my favorite bar seat in one of the photos.

You now have me re-thinking the idea of the Oasis transatlantic vs another PC cruise on this beauty. Thanks again for the review. It is great to see a part of the world I know I'll only visit in pictures, (bad flyer). Someone said you should be an ambassador for Singapore, and I whole heartedly agree. I have to say the pix from Izumi's looked to be much more robust than the Caribbean sailings on Oasis. Maybe the local produce was better in Singapore. I was drooling. Happy cruising!

Thank you for your feedback.

I certainly hope you can visit Singapore one day!

I was thinking along the same lines. ILuvCruising2's photos are so remarkable that he should make a book of it - maybe RCL would want to publish it.

I had been searching for two days for information on LOS since I will be taking the October 2013 cruise to Greece. I couldn't find any reviews or information on the refurbished ship and whether people enjoyed the voyage or not, until I came across your post.

Thank you so much.

I have one question. When the boat was put in dry dock and refurbished, do you know if the engines were replaced also ?

Thanks for letting me know!

I don't think they replaced the engines during dry-dock. My understanding is that the engines are unlikely to be ever replaced.

I will be on the legend in nov 2014, (panama canal) now that i have read and seen pictures of the chef's table i may have to try it

I'd say it is worth a try, at least once.

In all likelihood, we would do it again.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thanks for your reply. I did see the pics of the liquor bottles, so that is what confused me since we only had beer and wine on the Vision. We are really looking forward to the Legend!!!

When did you sail on the Vision? At that time, did she have a dedicated Diamond Club lounge?

It was in Jan. they had a nightly Diamond Event in the Viking Crown Lounge. Hot and cold horsd'oevres, beer, wine, and soda. There was a guard at the stairs but after the first night he knew us. I think it was from 5 to 9 but don't quote me on that. Same server every night, and the Captain stopped by quite often.

We'd spend am hour or so up there every night before dinner.One night we went to the repeaters cocktail party and wished that we had skipped it and gone to the Diamond Event. On the last night we tipped our servers, they were great!

Thank you so much.

Hi Iluvcruisin2

Like others on this forum I could not find any information on LOS except a few reviews and they are very subjective to the person and often about other issues.

We are considering a Northern Fjords cruise 2014 and I have tentatively booked since reading your fabulous forum.

The only question I have is regarding vibration of the ship. We are quite new to cruising and have done 2 Princess Cruises and 1 Disney Cruise. Sun Princess has a terrible vibration problem everywhere on the ship, day and night. It affected me very badly. As it was our last cruise it has made me very cautious about cruising again. The first two cruises were out of the USA and were fantastic.

We are booked on the new Royal Princess to do the Baltic next May and this RCI cruise, which also leaves from Copenhagen, dovetails really well into the Princess cruise. All the great photos and commentary from you have encouraged me to try RCI.

Of course I understand that all ships are machines and they vibrate at different times when the engines change but I got off Sun Princess and it took 3 days for me to stop shaking. I felt it in bed every night on the ship and even in the dining rooms etc. That was not the case on Caribbean Princess or Disney Dream.

We have booked a cabin forward on Deck 8 and I would appreciate your first hand experience of this issue.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Iluvcruisin2

Like others on this forum I could not find any information on LOS except a few reviews and they are very subjective to the person and often about other issues.

We are considering a Northern Fjords cruise 2014 and I have tentatively booked since reading your fabulous forum.

The only question I have is regarding vibration of the ship. We are quite new to cruising and have done 2 Princess Cruises and 1 Disney Cruise. Sun Princess has a terrible vibration problem everywhere on the ship, day and night. It affected me very badly. As it was our last cruise it has made me very cautious about cruising again. The first two cruises were out of the USA and were fantastic.

We are booked on the new Royal Princess to do the Baltic next May and this RCI cruise, which also leaves from Copenhagen, dovetails really well into the Princess cruise. All the great photos and commentary from you have encouraged me to try RCI.

Of course I understand that all ships are machines and they vibrate at different times when the engines change but I got off Sun Princess and it took 3 days for me to stop shaking. I felt it in bed every night on the ship and even in the dining rooms etc. That was not the case on Caribbean Princess or Disney Dream.

We have booked a cabin forward on Deck 8 and I would appreciate your first hand experience of this issue.

Thank you for your help.

We had absolutely no problems with the vibration and never felt any significant vibrations anywhere on the ship. Our cabin was Deck 8 aft. We found that our Deck 10 aft cabin on Voyager OTS had slightly more vibration!

Hi Iluvcruisin2

Thank you for your help.

There was zero vibration on LOS on our recent cruise. I have been on 3 RCI ships and vibration has never been an issue.

Don't give it another thought. :)

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Fantastic review - thank you so much. We sail on LOS on Saturday 15th June.

Like so many others my only point is with the My Time Dining.. We would love to eat at 19-30 pm but this is just not possible. I can either get 18-45 or

20-00 and this was even trying to book many months previously so I am not sure if it isn't available or if someone beat me to it????????

For us the whole point of MTD was that you could chose your own time but it certainly hasn't worked for us the last few cruises. Have you been lucky to get a time of 19-30???? Would love to know!!

Like so many others my only point is with the My Time Dining.. We would love to eat at 19-30 pm but this is just not possible. I can either get 18-45 or

20-00 and this was even trying to book many months previously so I am not sure if it isn't available or if someone beat me to it????????

For us the whole point of MTD was that you could chose your own time but it certainly hasn't worked for us the last few cruises. Have you been lucky to get a time of 19-30???? Would love to know!!

Sorry, no idea whether 1930 is possible.

We usually opt for first seating. This time round, as first seating was full, we had no choice but to go with MTD and book our early dining slots way in advance - we booked 6pm MTD dinner for everyday.

I also had the hours of 19:00 to 19:45 blocked out for my cruise -- I thought it was because I had changed to MTD so late in the game. But thinking about it from a restaurant point of view, by not having any (or very little) people signing up for that hour, it makes it easier to coordinate the kitchen. So, we have a choice of the early hours and the late hours, but that block of one hour is unavailable (although we do have the option of just walking in at that time).

I have a question for the OP. Did you book this itinerary through RCI's US site or another site? I can't find it on the US site. My son and I started reading your review yesterday and he got so excited! He said "I hadn't thought about an Asian cruise!" SO he wants to do it now! I'm not familiar with Asia at all but your review is just so awesome and I really want to try this itinerary - AND the Legend - which I'd been avoiding because it's so small. LOL!

Thanks for such a thorough review! You've represented Singapore and RCI well!:D

I have a question for the OP. Did you book this itinerary through RCI's US site or another site? I can't find it on the US site. My son and I started reading your review yesterday and he got so excited! He said "I hadn't thought about an Asian cruise!" SO he wants to do it now! I'm not familiar with Asia at all but your review is just so awesome and I really want to try this itinerary - AND the Legend - which I'd been avoiding because it's so small. LOL!

The Legend has left Singapore. It is in the Med now and will be returning to the Americas after that (I think doing Panama Canal crossings).

RCI moves its fleet around pretty often, especially in the newer or less common ports. I think Mariner and Voyager are the ships in Asia now.

The Legend has left Singapore. It is in the Med now and will be returning to the Americas after that (I think doing Panama Canal crossings).

RCI moves its fleet around pretty often, especially in the newer or less common ports. I think Mariner and Voyager are the ships in Asia now.

Thanks for the response. I was sooooo hoping to do this itinerary. it seemed so amazing. Oh well. :(:cool:

Thanks for your positive feedback.

We booked this itinerary through the Royal Caribbean website and made payment to the local office. RCI has an office in Singapore.

Unfortunately, this itinerary seems to be a one-off type of itinerary. The crew on the ship did say that RCI was trying out these ports. Like you, I have yet to see this itinerary being offered.

As others have pointed out, the Legend of the Seas has now been deployed to Europe. The Mariner and Voyager are in Asia, at this moment both are sailing out of China. China is where the HUGE market is. This period is the peak for China and will last till late October. Thereafter, during the Chinese winter season, Voyager will be deployed to Australia while Mariner will sail out of Singapore. In a sense, we are the winter ports.

I certainly hope Royal sends more ships to Asia!