Solo Cruisers ... Why Do We Do It?

jtwanabe

Thanks for all your replies. I started this thread and have found it really therapeutic.

I spend the whole year doing for others. These others are the people I love and am

glad to live my life that way. But this cruise I take is like everything that resonates

with me in one place. Relaxation, solitude, reflection and the sea. I can for a few days

read or sleep as long as I want. You will often find me leaning over the rail imagining

the sea breeze blowing the stress out of my body and into the sea.

From the moment I press the button to book my cruise I feel like there is a light at

the end of the tunnel. I love my dear wife, I love my kids, I love my dog and I

tolerate the cat. But this is for me and I cherish it. I use to feel guilty about it but now

I'm thankful that at this late juncture in my life I have found something that bring so

much enjoyment and ask so little in return.

I wonder if we could put a group of soloer's together and get a group discount. Is that

and idiosyncrasy. I imagine they would want to try to put us in room together.

..... no freakin way .....:p

Simple. :) Do what you want, when you want. Easier to go with the flow, never have to consider or wonder if the other person(s) your traveling with (especially if they are a novice or inexperienced cruise or first time cruiser) is enjoying themselves, the ship and having an overall good time.

Ability to meet as many new people or as few new people as you want! Solo cruising is the best. Am going on my fifth solo cruise in two weeks and can't wait!

My first solo started with me wanting to do it and I just out of the blue booked it and did it. My second solo cruise I didn't tell anyone, in fact to this day know one that I know knows I went on that cruise last July. My last solo people knew but I still kept it on the down low. My newest upcoming solo, know one knows about my upcoming solo cruise. Sometimes its best for not everyone to know how often one may or may not cruise. :p

Happy solo cruising!

I agree with many of the comments here. I take cruises with DW and solo. They're different. When she's with me, my focus (predictably) is on her. When I cruise solo, it's on me. I know, a bit simplistic.

But when I travel solo, I have the opportunity to meet new people. And engage in activities like hiking which she's not interested in.

And if I happen to be "in a mood", :rolleyes: I can be left alone with a good book.

I have been on 4 solo cruises and by the end of December it will be 6. I love cruising. I just like doing what I want when I want, but at the same time, if I met someone on the ship, I wouldn't have a problem sharing activities with her. I'm laid back and I'm usually open for most things. Cruising is the best vacation!

For me a solo cruise is the only time I can really STOP and RELAX!! I am a very active person...lot's of home improvement projects & such...if I try staying at home by the pool I would end up painting the house....I cruise solo because most of the time my family/friends can't afford to go...or can't get the time off...so it's solo or stay home...NOT an Option...:D

I cruise solo because I am at the point in my life where I can. I spent years raising my kids and I have no regrets but now it is my turn. My hubby cannot travel as often as I can. Many of the places that I have cruised to, he has already been to or did not wish to travel to. I got tired of waiting and I do not want to wait any longer.

Many of you consider it to be totally relaxing. I do as well, but I also want to have a little bit of an adventure. (Not a hook up, just do something new or different.) I want to feel comfortable touring to see new things. On a cruise, I do.

I started with a 5-day cruise solo, I did a 6-day and then a 7-day cruise.

I am thinking about a 9-day out of Barcelona for September, 2013. This would be quite a leap for me to go solo and I am not sure how the hubby would take it....

Still pondering....

Janetlm - we're on the same page and I have met quite a number of other folks like us who cruise solo. I have become more adventuresome - I did a 16 day B2B in Feb and loved it. Next up is a 15 day TA from Harwich UK to Boston at the end of Aug. Unlike most TA's, this cruise has 7 port days and it's a very active cruise group. Several folks I've already met are on this cruise.

I don't usually have a choice. I get great cruise rates and can easily take the time off. Most of my friends either have the money and no time, or time and no money. So I tend to just go solo. I LOVE it.

I do prefer to go with a small group, but I do like my own cabin and make sure anyone with me understands that there will be times I expect to be doing things on my own.

I have been a single mom since my daughters were babies. I have a very demanding job and work long hours. I am the one who everyone in my extended family turns to when they need something.... in short, I tend to "take care of" everyone. I am not complaining... love my job, love, love my family... but sometimes I just want ME time. Cruising solo gives me that. I get pampered and no one asks me for anything :D I can be as social as I want or I can hibernate in a quiet corner with a good book. I come home relaxed and rejuvenated.

I don't always cruise solo - I enjoy taking my "adult" daughters and their friends as we discover new places. I also enjoy cruising with a friend - separate cabin so we aren't crowding each other - nice to be "semi" solo that way too

Dee

An entire cabin to myself is most welcome - not least because I don't have to share closet and other storage space. On cruises, I love to play dress-up, so being able to bring ample luggage is great for me. As my nice husband has zero interest in cruising, and as I enjoy traveling solo, this arrangement works out very well!

I am 49. Cruised 4 times with the wife and there were a few occasions when I was on my own. There was one day in particular where sea-sickness kept her in bed most of the day. From that I learned that there were benefits to being on your own.

Since we separated (now divorced) I have done 3 solo cruises. Fortunately we still get along - she cat-sits for me when I am on my cruises. Next up is Alaska on Sapphire Princess in June. I like the fact that you can do as little or as much as you like - and being solo means no schedules to coordinate. I eat when I am hungry. I do the excursions that I want to do. If I feel like finding a quiet corner to read a book for three hours I can do that.

• 2 weeks later...
For me a solo cruise is the only time I can really STOP and RELAX!! I am a very active person...lot's of home improvement projects & such...if I try staying at home by the pool I would end up painting the house....I cruise solo because most of the time my family/friends can't afford to go...or can't get the time off...so it's solo or stay home...NOT an Option...:D

You've just described me to the Tee :D

This thread is so refreshing and reassuring for me to read. I have just booked my first solo cruise/s and was feeling a little selfish in the process. My DH will enjoy cruising when he joins me but it's just not his thing. I've only cruised once in the past with him and my CCL Platinum cruise this Dec. will be with him. Even on this cruise he'll be more than happy to let me do whatever I wish while he sits back and just relaxes with a good book.

I have cruised twice now with wonderful people...... that weren't really suitable roommates for me and after the last one I decided I'd just rather go solo. This will be a test...... if I like it a lot I know that I'll be able to cruise a lot more often and that is a big perk for me!

Just finished my 2nd solo cruise. I did what I wanted and knew I could do anything without embarrassing my friends or fellow pax! This time I sang Superstar Karaoke (girls just wanna have fun) and although I know my voice cracked, I still had fun. I went to bed when I wanted, ordered Room Service, and just took my time.

I got some sympathetic looks, but I enjoy being "alone" and meeting new people. I travel to Vegas by myself and think that cruising is even safer.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I've been cruising solo for about 10 years or so. One of the reasons I love cruising solo is that a cruise can be whatever I want it to be.

Usually I think of myself as fairly social and I enjoy doing the MDR about half the time visiting with new people and I participate in different activities in and around the ship. But 5 years ago, after a difficult visit with my 85 year old father, I got on a big Carnival ship and was a loner for the 7 day cruise. I just didn't have it in me to socialize with anyone. And I think of that cruise as a good cruise because it was what I needed at the time.

Sometimes I do national park trips with an over 55 group and about 3/4 through the trip I feel "grouped out". For me one of the best things about cruising solo is I can be as social as I want to be. It is a great mix of social time and alone time. Faith

• 2 weeks later...
This may sound a bit selfish, but I like for my vacation to stay my vacation and not become our vacation. I like doing what I want, when I want. It's nice not having to tell someone every time I'm headed to the gym, or the buffet, or wherever. It's nice not having to wait for someone to finish getting dressed when you're ready. It's nice to be able to see and do everything you want for as long as you want without having to hear someone say they're ready to go. I love being on my own schedule 24/7. In addition to my 4 solo cruises, I've also done land trips solo to Hawaii, Vegas, St. Thomas, and Madrid. It has become my preferred way to travel and I'm already contemplating my next solo adventure! :)

Good for you! This will be my first solo Cruise or vacation for that matter, looking forward to it. Any advise?

Margie

I live alone in 1000 square feet. I have only cruised solo and can't imagine sharing 185 square feet (and one bathroom) with someone else. I might give the boyfriend a chance, haven't decided yet! :D

As others have said, you can do what you want when you want, there's no "what do we do today?" committee, you can participate or chill in your cabin.

I decided a long time ago that I didn't want to wait for friends/family/bf to be available for when/where I wanted to vacation, I'd rather go solo than miss out.

Some people think I'm brave, some think I'm nuts, I don't care, it's all good! I don't let myself get offended when people question my decision to travel solo.

I just miss my kitties when I cruise >^..^<

I know exactly what you mean, this will be my first solo cruise I really look forward to some time alone, as well as meeting new people.

Happy Cruising!!

I was years deciding to go on my solo. I hinted and hinted to my SO but there was always some reason we couldn't go.

I had been on some company cruises years ago and coupled with my lifetime love of the sea I would see the ads and just sign.

So after one horrendously stressful day (some street punk went into a 10 minute "cursing diatribe cause he thought I had

cut in from of him at a Subway Shop). I thought I got to get out of this place. Then I got and answered email from VTG

about a 5 day cruise. I thoroughly loved every minute of it. So the next year I went to my SO to get them to come with me.

Well you know how story goes ..... by the time all the parameters were set to accommodate the others requirements I just

said .... to do want you asked would fundamentally change what I love about a cruise. So I went the second time by myself.

Thoroughly loved it again. I just booked again and once again I invited but made it clear that all year long I work and do for

others but this week is "mine" and for "me". Like a birthday party you are invited but for this 1 out of 52 weeks I', It's going

to be "my time".

Someone should make a drink and call it the "me myself and I".

JT:p

I agree, I work very hard at a Dr's office and I deserve this 1 week for me!! I know it sounds selfish, I tried getting some company but every one I asked was busy or not interested so I booked my Cruise anyway It's what I have been doing every Summer the last five yrs. and I was not going to miss out on my cruise because I didn't have anyone to cruise with. So wish me luck on my first solo cruise, looking forward to relaxing on deck soaking in the sun, with nice Mojito, And best of all NO PHONE CALLS !!! For a week. Can't get any better!!

Happy Cruising everyone!!

Margie

There are many reasons I love it. I have lived on my own for almost

my entire adult life. I LOVE cruising solo. Doing what I want,

when I want, or don't want for that matter. I depend on me for

everything so going on vacation is no different. I found cruising 10

years ago and it is the only way I travel now. I love unpacking once

and as for being pampered? I LOVE IT too:D If I feel like sleeping in,

or sleeping with tv on all night? I can do it. If I want to get up, go

out on the balcony and then go back to bed, I can do it. Nobody else

there to tell me this or that.....yes, when I cruise, it is all about me:D

Sounds selfish? Nope, it is just because I am solo and the price I pay

is mine......so, like I said I can do what I want:)

Also, I am quite outgoing and it is very easy for me to meet people

so that is a positive (in my opinion) for me anyway. I have met folks

on my cruises and we are now lifelong friends:)..so that is all

good.

I sail again 2 weeks from TOMORROW! We have a fun and friendly

roll call so that is a positive thing too;) chatting with those folks

for at least 2 or 3 months now!

Oh, and I have seen many places through cruising that I would not do

on land so that is another reason I love it too. I would not fly to

each Caribbean Island and just stay there for a week......some people

might, but not me. I love everything about cruising:)

I keep thinking of other things....and how could I forget this........

Just being on the water on the ship too.......watching the wake.......

it is VERY peaceful (to me).......I love it.

My thoughts exactly, love waking up in a new place, meeting new people, the sound of the ocean.......I don't think I can say anything you haven't already said.

Happy Cruising!!!

M.

Archived