How would you compare NCL to Celebrity?

cjcruises

Hi :)

We have sailed X twice, most recently Solstice for a 12-night Med last Fall. NCL's recent offering of "Kids Sail Free" made a Dec Panama Canal aboard NCL Star to good an offer to pass up.

I am expecting that NCL will be significantly different from X. (I'm expecting it to be more casual and probably catering to a younger demographic - which is fine as we are in our 30s and sailing with 3 kids ages 10 & 12).

Having only ever sailed X, Princess (including the Panama Canal) and once on RCI (which was our least favourite cruise), I am curious how others, who have sailed any of those lines (but, specifically, X) compare them with NCL.

TIA

Haven't read thread past your OP but your kids will LOVE NCL.

Not to say they wouldn't like Celebrity, of course they would but all NCL ships have one thing I actualky miss on "X"

They have a great pool slide that I actually like too (or the kid in me anyway)

To date, our NCL cruise was one of our best. We were on the GEM to the Med in 2008 and found the service to be fantastic, we also booked when they were offering an onboard credit and used that to dine at the different specialty restaurants, all of which were pretty good! We tried the MDR once and it was good as well. One thing that NCL has that I haven't found an equivalent for on any other line is the Blue Lagoon, which is a free, 24 hour restaurant that has some pretty decent offerings including buffalo wings that my husband spent a lot of time eating :p At the time we cruised they had free cappuccino machines around the ship but I can't say for sure if they still have those.

I would love to do NCL again, especially one of their new Breakaway class when they get one in Europe. I think my opinion/experience mirrors some of the other responses, NCL is more laid back and more fun (not boozing it up party fun) than Celebrity. I found the Celebrity atmosphere to be somewhat more stuffy, hoping our Med cruise this summer is more laid back because I do like Celebrity's food and smoking policy.

Oh, you're in a suite?

NCL has the best suite experience. Butler and conceirge. Breakfast and lunch in Cagneys.

Special cocktail parties.

Special seating for shows.

Priority everything! Enjoy!

PS: Don't forget, your Butler can serve you breakfast from Cagneys in your suite if you desire. You can also have him serve dinner in your suite from any of the specialty restuarants. Visit the NCL boards so you can make good use of your Butler and Conceirge! Lucky you!

Yes, the frequent announcements regarding 'Bingo' are a real pain to be sure and very difficult to 'tune out'. This pursuit, apparently enjoyed by many, it would seem is a very good 'earner' for the cruise line. A small thing to be sure. I found the more I drank, the less it bothered me....:):D. Perhaps that's part of NCL's cunning plan?:cool:

Yes, the frequent announcements regarding 'Bingo' are a real pain to be sure and very difficult to 'tune out'. This pursuit, apparently enjoyed by many, it would seem is a very good 'earner' for the cruise line. A small thing to be sure. I found the more I drank, the less it bothered me....:):D. Perhaps that's part of NCL's cunning plan?:cool:

Meeehaahhaaahhhaasaa:D

Baldrick_blackadder.jpg

Oh, you're in a suite?

NCL has the best suite experience. Butler and conceirge. Breakfast and lunch in Cagneys.

PS: Don't forget, your Butler can serve you breakfast from Cagneys in your suite if you desire. You can also have him serve dinner in your suite from any of the specialty restuarants. Visit the NCL boards so you can make good use of your Butler and Conceirge! Lucky you!

Just off the Reflection in a suite and other than breakfast and lunch offered at Cagney's, there was really no difference in suite perks between NCL and X. We also found the suite itself to be much nicer on the Reflection. The free breakfast and lunch would not be enough to choose NCL over X. I guess foursome it would but NCL falls short for me in other areas such as service and the ships themselves.

Which Norwegian ship's suite were you in?

The OP is on the Star, so I didn't mention the Courtyard, which is available on some of the Norwegian ships. I'd put the availability of a private pool and courtyard area even above b'fast and lunch in Cagneys.

Which Norwegian ship's suite were you in?

The OP is on the Star, so I didn't mention the Courtyard, which is available on some of the Norwegian ships. I'd put the availability of a private pool and courtyard area even above b'fast and lunch in Cagneys.

We were on the Star and Dawn. The courtyard does not interest me. The pool is about the size of a large bathtub. :)

We were on the Star and Dawn. The courtyard does not interest me. The pool is about the size of a large bathtub. :)

The OP, however, has reservations with her family on the Star. I don't think she is considering a suite on Celebrity.

To the OP. the two most recent NCL cruises that we have taken were on the Dawn and Star. I would rank both cruises between RCI and Carnival with NCL in the middle.

I found both ships were starting to look a little worn but they may have been refurbished since we cruised on them.

My biggest disappointment was the MDR. Poor service and the quality of the food left a lot to be desired. The specialty restaurants on the other were very good.

Crew was very nice and outside of the MDR the service was good. Entertainment was on par with the other two lines minus the Oasis class. NCL would not be first on my list but I would consider them for the right itinerary.:)

entertainment is better on NCL and I love the anytime dining (only on ships that are designed for it).

Celebrity has much better food and, IMO, a better product.

that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to go is NCL again if the price and itinerary are good.

Oh, you're in a suite?

Agreed. Loved the suite experience on Norwegian...we encountered wonderful staff everywhere, just like we did on Celebrity. Never really encountered anything bad on any of our cruises with the exception of people who seem to be entitled....and unfortunately they seem to exist on every cruiseline.:eek:

We cruised Norwegian back before they were Freestyle and after the change. Freestyle is definitely different than traditional cruising, but can get into either one. When our grandchild comes of age, we will probably book a family cruise on Norwegian because there is so much more for kids to do, not to mention that dining is so much easier for those with families....kids are on their own clocks. There is also less to drag along when it comes to clothing.

For now though, it's the hubby and I.....and we like AQ in Celebrity because we love the experience in Blu which in our opinion was a lot like Cagney's as far as the intimacy factor. The strict smoking policy was our main reason Celebrity became very appealing to us, however I really expect to see this tightened up even more with other cruiselines....it's already happening, but I think in time as ships are replaced, it's going to be commonplace. When it comes to food, you will never go hungry on either.:p

If I won a free NCL cruise I would certainly take it; but otherwise, no thanks,

If I won a free cruise on NCL I'd give it to you. :)

They were fine years ago before Freestyle. My idea of open seating does not include waiting in a line for a table upwards of 45 minutes. The ship we sailed on would not allow two people to make a reservation.

The food was awful, the ship was dirty, the crew were poorly trained. The entertainment was good, but not good enough to ever get me back on one of their ships.

I'm not a snobby cruiser. We love Royal Caribbean and take advantage of My Time Dining and Select Dining on Celebrity cruises. Even without a reservation, we have never waited more than 5 minutes for a table certainly not 45 or more like on NCL.

Do not believe all the hoopla about Celebrity it is ok not better than any other line..I loved NvCl ... Epic was Amazing The shows and service were top knotch ..great entertainment ...yes younger crowd

Try Ncl celebrity is very subdued esp at night not really catering to kids or young people . I think it attracts more mature travellers ...more like HAL

Food is good on both ..maybe a touch better on celebrity but specialty restaurants on NCLWwre the best

Go for it ..I try them allthe only one i would not go back on is MSC

Michele

I have cruised with NCL seven times. I have never had anything like a 45 minute wait for dinner. I have sailed on the now retired Majesty and Dream, as well as Dawn (twice), Jewel, Epic and Sun. Not one of those ships was anything but spotless. The service has been excellent and the crew are friendly and seem happy. NCL has an excellent kids program.

As far as "you get what you pay for" my upcoming cruise on Reflection (2 Aqua class cabins) is costing me less than my last few NCL cruises.

I have cruised with NCL seven times. I have never had anything like a 45 minute wait for dinner. I have sailed on the now retired Majesty and Dream, as well as Dawn (twice), Jewel, Epic and Sun. Not one of those ships was anything but spotless. The service has been excellent and the crew are friendly and seem happy. NCL has an excellent kids program.

As far as "you get what you pay for" my upcoming cruise on Reflection (2 Aqua class cabins) is costing me less than my last few NCL cruises.

We enjoy the shows so we want to have dinner at a time that allows us to get to the theater and find a decent seat. Evidently everyone else on the ship had the same idea, so we had to wait every night as they refused to take a reservation from only 2 people.

Having been used to the well-trained crews on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, we were not expecting a crew member to force us to back up when she was coming through a tight passageway with a dolly of towels. We were not used to having the same coffee cup sit on the balcony table from day 2 to the remainder of the cruise. We were not used to our cabin not being made up until 3 PM or later.

On a Royal or Celebrity ship, I have never had to wait in a line for over 40 minutes for a chocolate buffet only to be handed a PAPER PLATE when I finally got there. The attitude was "take your stuff and get out of here". The paper plate sat in our cabin until the end of our cruise as well.

The food at the buffet was worse than a high school cafeteria and we never could get a reservation at a specialty restaurant so that we could make the show so we were stuck with the nightly wait for dinner.

I could not turn off the constant, blaring announcements in our cabin. I felt as though NCL was trying to squeeze every nickle out of me with the incessant announcements selling everything. At least on Royal Caribbean ships I can turn the PA speaker off in my cabin. Not so on NCL. Even in the NCL public areas, the PA was broadcasting the art auction at the highest level possible.

The hub-bub created by the comings and goings of people during dinner, the constant dropping of trays by the wait staff, the loss of my wine bottle every night and the seemingly interminable wait for after dinner coffee was not something that would ever get me back on one of their ships.

We do the open seating on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and have never experienced the incompetence that we saw in the NCL dining room.

I'm happy you enjoy their brand, but it is not something I ever want to subject myself to again.

We enjoy the shows so we want to have dinner at a time that allows us to get to the theater and find a decent seat. Evidently everyone else on the ship had the same idea, so we had to wait every night as they refused to take a reservation from only 2 people.

Having been used to the well-trained crews on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, we were not expecting a crew member to force us to back up when she was coming through a tight passageway with a dolly of towels. We were not used to having the same coffee cup sit on the balcony table from day 2 to the remainder of the cruise. We were not used to our cabin not being made up until 3 PM or later.

On a Royal or Celebrity ship, I have never had to wait in a line for over 40 minutes for a chocolate buffet only to be handed a PAPER PLATE when I finally got there. The attitude was "take your stuff and get out of here". The paper plate sat in our cabin until the end of our cruise as well.

The food at the buffet was worse than a high school cafeteria and we never could get a reservation at a specialty restaurant so that we could make the show so we were stuck with the nightly wait for dinner.

I could not turn off the constant, blaring announcements in our cabin. I felt as though NCL was trying to squeeze every nickle out of me with the incessant announcements selling everything. At least on Royal Caribbean ships I can turn the PA speaker off in my cabin. Not so on NCL. Even in the NCL public areas, the PA was broadcasting the art auction at the highest level possible.

The hub-bub created by the comings and goings of people during dinner, the constant dropping of trays by the wait staff, the loss of my wine bottle every night and the seemingly interminable wait for after dinner coffee was not something that would ever get me back on one of their ships.

We do the open seating on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and have never experienced the incompetence that we saw in the NCL dining room.

I'm happy you enjoy their brand, but it is not something I ever want to subject myself to again.

People have different experiences and preferences. My experiences have obviously been different from yours but since I have sailed with NCL several times I felt my input might be helpful.

And I have NEVER had a cabin in which I had to listen to announcements. I have never had a problem getting reservations to speciality restaurants, either.

I found NCL to be very comparable to Royal Caribbean. I enjoy both cruise lines and will undoubtedly sail both again.

On our first NCL cruise we were all laughing at the outfits the wait crew in one of the MDR had on. They were serving us in Tshirts with the imprints of a tux on both front and back. I'm very easygoing and we all got a good laugh. Have to say, those people gave us very good service. Did not see the shirts on our next cruise.

I'll be on the Star in about three weeks. I've sail NCL once before. Was aboard the Ruby Princess in November. The Ruby Princess IMO is probably the IDEAL cruise ship. Really excellent. Beyond that....I thought NCL compared very favorably. Staff as a whole was better. No where near as pretentious!

I don't see how anyone could NOT enjoy the current NCL product!

I would be one to object...I did not enjoy NCL on either cruise with friends, and just with my DH. It was much louder, cheaper, and very blah, even with a variety of age groups. Our friends and my DH felt the exact same way. Now, RCCL was great! Glad NCL fits you perfectly! Two of our friends just returned from NCL and visited Europe and Asia. They are doing land tours now! It wasn't too bad, but not their cup of tea. Honestly, I don't really enjoy cruising in and around the U.S., but love Europe on Celebrity. I am open to other lines too, but don't want to get burned again with NCL!!!:cool::eek:

Archived