Weather on Eastbound Trans-atlantic cruise late July/early August

gatour

Curious about the daytime temperatures to expect on our QM II crossing.

Well it's summer so you could have sun, fog/mist, rain, wind or overcast skies. the temperatures could be cool or warm, it is unlikely to be cold but it is the North Atlantic so one can never really be too sure. One thing that you can be sure of is that it will be dark at night and light during the day. :)

Well it's summer so you could have sun, fog/mist, rain, wind or overcast skies. the temperatures could be cool or warm, it is unlikely to be cold but it is the North Atlantic so one can never really be too sure. One thing that you can be sure of is that it will be dark at night and light during the day. :)

Cap'n, you forgot to mention that the seas can be from flat calm to 20 meters.:eek::D. And about that light during the day, some days that has been questionable.:eek::D

Thanks for the sarcasm, NOT.

I realize weather can be changeable. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience during that time of the year.

If someone asked me about weather in Florida during the same timeframe, I would say it would mostly likely be hot and humid. However, if they asked for March, I would say there is potential for cool but it can also be warm.

I was on a crossing from 15-22 August two years ago. Middle three days were teeming with rain, temperature barely rose above 50F. My Deck 5 hull balcony was flooded, swells rising above the windows of Britannia at breakfast each morning. A few hardy souls braved the pool on Deck 8 Aft; most other open decks were off limits. Boardwalk Cafe never opened entire cruise. Many crew members did share that this was the first crossing of the season that the North Atlantic showed her true colors; a few previous ones had been uncharacteristically summery. While a few others had not. So if 20 people who have had experience respond, you will hear 20 different responses. That's not sarcasm, that's the reality of a North Atlantic crossing. The only correct answer to "how are the daytime temperatures" is...it depends on the weather!

Thanks for the sarcasm, NOT.

I realize weather can be changeable. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience during that time of the year.

If someone asked me about weather in Florida during the same timeframe, I would say it would mostly likely be hot and humid. However, if they asked for March, I would say there is potential for cool but it can also be warm.

Gatour - I really don't think Capn was being sarcastic for one minute - it is absolutely true. (And I believe he has probably done more Atlantic crossings than most people on this forum.) The weather in the N Atlantic is so totally unpredictable at almost any time of the year - and that goes for the temperatures as well. For our crossing of 7 days in September 2011 it varied from distinctly cold, pouring rain, hot sunshine, cold fog & warm fog. The seas varied from being like a millpond to very rough. The advice is therefore to be prepared for anything. Its the same as asking what the weather is like here in England...:D it's freezing here at the moment, we have snow...yet this time last year the temps were around 20 degrees and we had a week of warm sunshine....(I know - I was on holiday in the UK and had taken all my cold weather gear with me...:eek:)

Hope you enjoy your crossing whatever the weather.

How true all these answers are; it gives one more of an expectation to making a TA, as it is never the same.

The good thing about Cunard that whatever the weather (and providing the pools are not netted when in severe storms) the outdoor pools are always warm enough to swim in, and I can honestly say I have done this in November and December, but you will not find the air temperature akin to Florida when you get out !!

If the OP had searched "weather" on this board he would have found dozens of threads on this subject all saying basically what Cap'n and I were saying. Basically, you never know. The End.:D

1, Searching, what an interesting concept

2. That is a nice idea but I somehow doubt it :):)

We did a roundtrip crossing in July/August 2009. We had fog, rain, severe winds, freezing temperatures and a couple of scorching days with clear blue skies and blazing sunshine.

I had taken mainly summer clothes but had to buy a couple of warm things on board, especially for my twice daily laps of the Promenade deck, where it was positively frigid at times.

North Atlantic coast this time last year saw beautiful weather, briliant sunshine, calm seas and temperatures way above what can be expected for this time of year.

This year we are experiencing the coldest weather in fifty years, other locations nearby it is the coldest on record, strong winds, and rough seas.

If anyone can predict what the weather in the North Atlantic will be for this time next year, they are in the wrong job. The only thing predictable about our weather is the unpredictability. What I can predict is your crossing will be an amazing experience, the ride quality aboard the Queen Mary 2 is absolutely second to none.

If we don't like answers to questions then sometimes it might be best not to ask them ;)

in my case, even if i am crossing in the summer period, i wont take chance, ill bring some motion sickness pill and wristband, worst can happen, ill have brough these for nothing but its always good to be prepared

especially as i have never experienced huge wave before in on a ship, so i have no idea how i will react

Thank you fishywood. You gave a response with some background and context. I now have a better idea on what to expect.

To some of the other responders...

I have never sailed on Cunard so do not normally peruse the Cunard boards so do not know who the "experts" are. So someone randomly saying, it could be hot, cold, rainy, sunny without context is useless.

As to "research" that is exactly what I was trying to do.

I was on a crossing from 15-22 August two years ago. Middle three days were teeming with rain, temperature barely rose above 50F. My Deck 5 hull balcony was flooded, swells rising above the windows of Britannia at breakfast each morning. A few hardy souls braved the pool on Deck 8 Aft; most other open decks were off limits. Boardwalk Cafe never opened entire cruise. Many crew members did share that this was the first crossing of the season that the North Atlantic showed her true colors; a few previous ones had been uncharacteristically summery. While a few others had not. So if 20 people who have had experience respond, you will hear 20 different responses. That's not sarcasm, that's the reality of a North Atlantic crossing. The only correct answer to "how are the daytime temperatures" is...it depends on the weather!

Thank you fishywood. You gave a response with some background and context. I now have a better idea on what to expect.

To some of the other responders...

I have never sailed on Cunard so do not normally peruse the Cunard boards so do not know who the "experts" are. So someone randomly saying, it could be hot, cold, rainy, sunny without context is useless.

As to "research" that is exactly what I was trying to do.

If you need any other information or assistance try the search function on this forum first.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1780811&highlight=atlantic+weather

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1746846&highlight=atlantic+weather

Interesting how a thread started three days after mine, asking for the same type of information, didn't get the random "it could be cold, hot, windy, fog, rainy" response.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1817217

BTW before creating this thread, I did go back several pages of threads (which equated to several months of threads) and didn't see any weather related threads.

And yes I know about the search function, but didn't think of using it.

All-in-all, this will probably be my first and last Cunard cruise, just due to the attitudes that the posters here seem to exude. When I have booked cruises on other somewhat comparable cruiselines for the first time, and asked questions, I got thoughtful answers with context.

On the the other cruise critic boards for cruise lines that I have experience with, when I respond I try to give an answer that puts things in context. This includes subjects that pop up on weekly basis.

Interesting how a thread started three days after mine, asking for the same type of information, didn't get the random "it could be cold, hot, windy, fog, rainy" response.

BTW before creating this thread, I did go back several pages of threads (which equated to several months of threads) and didn't see any weather related threads.

All-in-all, this will probably be my first and last Cunard cruise, just due to the attitudes that the posters here seem to exude. When I have booked cruises on other somewhat comparable cruiselines for the first time, and asked questions, I got thoughtful answers with context.

On the the other cruise critic boards for cruise lines that I have experience with, when I respond I try to give an answer that puts things in context. This includes subjects that pop up on weekly basis.

Please don't be hurt by the comments as I don't think they were meant to be smart arsed as the weather in the UK and across the Atlantic can't really be forecast, as is said " the UK doesn't have a climate, it just has weather". I would always go with a windproof jacket and dress in layers for onboard walking if it is chilly/windy otherwise indoor temperature is controlled.

The thread you refer to above is really about the dress codes - not the weather. I was trying to be helpful and feel as if you have thrown that help back in my face - as I suspect others do. I wish I hadn't bothered.

Mysticalmother,

My reply wasn't directed at you. You also provided context, just as fishywood did. I apologize that I also did not include you as thoughtful replier.

However, the thread that I attached is pertinent. Both anneinmanhatten and myself were essentially asking the same question. What type of clothes should we pack for use during the day.

To: fishywood, mysticalmother, glojo, cruiseluvva, candle in the wind

Thank you for your replies.

The thread you refer to above is really about the dress codes - not the weather. I was trying to be helpful and feel as if you have thrown that help back in my face - as I suspect others do. I wish I hadn't bothered.

Archived