Celebrity Century Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer - anyone done it?

Ginnyfyr

Hi all. We're on the Century in May and are trying to figure out what we want to do. Just came across this excursion today and it looks interesting. I feel like for $225 a person it's a pretty good deal to see this area that we'd not otherwise see on the cruise. Have any of you done this particular excursion? Do you feel it was worth the money? I think it sounds cool but 7 hours is a long time to be on an excursion!

This is a tour I highly recommend and think "necessary". I'll speculate maybe, 25% of the ships make a full transit. The contractor is Allen Marine, who have very nice boats and do a great job.

You don't state when you are going- if prior to the beginning of June, this is not as recommended. It is highly likely in May for ships to detour to Endicott Arm which cruiseships can access very easily. Up through the 3rd week of May, it's a significant chance.

You don't state when you are going- if prior to the beginning of June, this is not as recommended. It is highly likely in May for ships to detour to Endicott Arm which cruiseships can access very easily. Up through the 3rd week of May, it's a significant chance.

She mentions May in her post.

Good grief, how did I miss that. :)

Unless going last week of May- and they want to take that chance, it is more likely they would not be going to Tracy Arm.

We'll be in Juneau on May 23rd, so 2nd to last week of May. As far as I know, our ship isn't going to Endicott Arm anyway (our ports are Icy Strait Point, Juneau & Ketchican)....would it be worth a visit if we did have to detour from Tracy Arm?

We'll be in Juneau on May 23rd, so 2nd to last week of May. As far as I know, our ship isn't going to Endicott Arm anyway (our ports are Icy Strait Point, Juneau & Ketchican)....would it be worth a visit if we did have to detour from Tracy Arm?

Full Cruise ship access into Tracy Arm- is most always iced out until June. It is a curvy 30 mile one way transit. The schedules of cruise ships is too tightly timed for the full access probably 75% of the time. Passengers, want and expect glacier viewing, so cpts, divert to Endicott Arm, which is an easy glacier access, but way down the scenery scale compared to Tracy Arm, essentially a bay, rather than the close shoreline curves.

There is no advance warning in time to cancel the add on tour. The add on tour, essentially has very little advantage over the cruiseship, and often is right along side. If money is more limited it would be better spent elsewhere, in this case.

Edited by Budget Queen

You won't know until the day of the cruise if you are going to Endicott Arm.

After 4 attempts to Tracy Arm, I have yet to see the glaciers at the end. I am very familiar with Endicott Arm.... Have done it via cruise ship and small boat.

Budget Queen, this is the description of the excursion from the Celebrity website:

Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer - Celebrity Century Only

Juneau, Alaska

Travel by deluxe jet boat to explore the very best of the Tracy Arm Wilderness Area, including exciting close-up views of the majestic Sawyer Glaciers. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin as your captain guides you through scenic passages and into the heart of a wild place that has, until recently, been buried for centuries by glacial ice. Here, the extraordinary maneuverability of the Katlian Express will allow you to glide quietly past curious seals and icebergs – to get as close as possible to the ever-changing face of South Sawyer Glacier. Available on select ships and sailing dates.

So, in your opinion, if we were to do this excursion and our tour boat did get diverted to the Endicott Arm, it wouldn't be worth it? We are considering other options in Juneau but this one (assuming we did Tracy Arm) jumped out as being something extra special that we wouldn't otherwise have a chance to see. Really appreciate your input!

Budget Queen, this is the description of the excursion from the Celebrity website:

Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer - Celebrity Century Only

Juneau, Alaska

Travel by deluxe jet boat to explore the very best of the Tracy Arm Wilderness Area, including exciting close-up views of the majestic Sawyer Glaciers. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin as your captain guides you through scenic passages and into the heart of a wild place that has, until recently, been buried for centuries by glacial ice. Here, the extraordinary maneuverability of the Katlian Express will allow you to glide quietly past curious seals and icebergs – to get as close as possible to the ever-changing face of South Sawyer Glacier. Available on select ships and sailing dates.

So, in your opinion, if we were to do this excursion and our tour boat did get diverted to the Endicott Arm, it wouldn't be worth it? We are considering other options in Juneau but this one (assuming we did Tracy Arm) jumped out as being something extra special that we wouldn't otherwise have a chance to see. Really appreciate your input!

These ship tours are all the same, I have been on them to both locations. Only you can determine- if you want to take the chance of purchasing a likely similar "experience" of the cruise ship. I described Tracy Arm. Endicott Arm is about 25 miles, but wide open a lot of the transit, and not as dramatic scenery. This is 99% accessible for cruiseships.

These ship tours are all the same, I have been on them to both locations. Only you can determine- if you want to take the chance of purchasing a likely similar "experience" of the cruise ship. I described Tracy Arm. Endicott Arm is about 25 miles, but wide open a lot of the transit, and not as dramatic scenery. This is 99% accessible for cruiseships.

Hmmm...kinda sounds like it's not worth the risk of not getting to see Tracy Arm! Thank you for your input, BQ! We're docked in Juneau for 13 hours and have lots of other options to consider...sounds like taking a chance on a 7 hour trip might not be worth it. Your input is very much appreciated! ;)

Full Cruise ship access into Tracy Arm- is most always iced out until June. It is a curvy 30 mile one way transit. The schedules of cruise ships is too tightly timed for the full access probably 75% of the time. Passengers, want and expect glacier viewing, so cpts, divert to Endicott Arm, which is an easy glacier access, but way down the scenery scale compared to Tracy Arm, essentially a bay, rather than the close shoreline curves.

There is no advance warning in time to cancel the add on tour. The add on tour, essentially has very little advantage over the cruiseship, and often is right along side. If money is more limited it would be better spent elsewhere, in this case.

It does not seem to me that the Century is making the transit through Tracy Arm. I get the feeling the excursion the OP is talking about is round trip from Juneau after the ship docks there. Am I missing something?

It does not seem to me that the Century is making the transit through Tracy Arm. I get the feeling the excursion the OP is talking about is round trip from Juneau after the ship docks there. Am I missing something?

The excursion would be round trip from Juneau once we dock there on the 23rd.

The excursion would be round trip from Juneau once we dock there on the 23rd.

If your schedule permits I'd book with Adventure Bound direct rather than thru the cruise line. It is the big ships that have problems with access, the small boats usually get in. (although we were iced out on our first atempt it was still a fantatsic experience) Being down at water level is a huge difference than seeing it from the top deck of a large cruise ship.

If your schedule permits I'd book with Adventure Bound direct rather than thru the cruise line. It is the big ships that have problems with access, the small boats usually get in. (although we were iced out on our first atempt it was still a fantatsic experience) Being down at water level is a huge difference than seeing it from the top deck of a large cruise ship.

We wouldn't be on a cruise ship - the cruise line charters a smaller boat from a local company. I will check out Adventure Bound though - thanks for the suggestion!

We wouldn't be on a cruise ship - the cruise line charters a smaller boat from a local company. I will check out Adventure Bound though - thanks for the suggestion!

I meant the smaller boat excursion in general is a far different experience. Adventure Bound will be a big savings over the similar cruise line excursion but is it an even longer day. Personally I love the scenery and don't mind the time. Whichever trip you take be sure and bring along some drinlks and snacks if possible, and some reading material to help pass the time if you need a break

I did the small boat excursion of Tracy Arm last June and it was great. I am sure that Celebrity uses Allen Marine Tours as their charter company for this trip (as does NCL, HAL, and Princess). I was on the NCL Pearl which has a more limited time in Juneau than you do - so our tour not only depended upon icy waters but also daylight. There were disclaimers (in fine print) in the tour description that explained this and even the possibility of sailing Endicott Arm instead. Even when we were there in late June there were still plenty of ice floes in the fjord - esp when you get close to the glacier. We also had a squall pass through the channel just before we left the dock that was generating 4-6' swells - which could delay us just enough that we would miss the glacier viewing. Lucky for us the squall passed in less than 10 min so our trip went as planned.

From looking at your trip, Juneau is really your second stop - you will sail directly to Icy Point Strait, then cruise Hubbard Glacier then hit Juneau. So you will have already (hopefully) seen a tidewater glacier (Hubbard).

My recomendation is that you skip the Tracy Arm Explorer tour on this trip and schedule your next AK cruise in June or July.

Here is a link to a site that will give you more ideas for Juneau

http://cruiseportinsider.com/juneau.html

I did not check this itinerary, and thought they were referring to an add on Tracy Arm? Now it comes out it is a round trip Juneau tour.

Big difference. In my opinion, the access and viewing is about time. I consider this, ship tour

time too short.

Allen Marine is the only vendor in Juneau with the ship contracts.

An independent with more time, would have to opportunity for more wildlife viewing.

Being so early in the season, I would do a walk up booking- pretty often available, with Adventure Bound, and get an answer IF they are accessing Tracy Arm- to the glaciers or not.

I did the small boat excursion of Tracy Arm last June and it was great. I am sure that Celebrity uses Allen Marine Tours as their charter company for this trip (as does NCL, HAL, and Princess). I was on the NCL Pearl which has a more limited time in Juneau than you do - so our tour not only depended upon icy waters but also daylight. There were disclaimers (in fine print) in the tour description that explained this and even the possibility of sailing Endicott Arm instead. Even when we were there in late June there were still plenty of ice floes in the fjord - esp when you get close to the glacier. We also had a squall pass through the channel just before we left the dock that was generating 4-6' swells - which could delay us just enough that we would miss the glacier viewing. Lucky for us the squall passed in less than 10 min so our trip went as planned.

From looking at your trip, Juneau is really your second stop - you will sail directly to Icy Point Strait, then cruise Hubbard Glacier then hit Juneau. So you will have already (hopefully) seen a tidewater glacier (Hubbard).

My recomendation is that you skip the Tracy Arm Explorer tour on this trip and schedule your next AK cruise in June or July.

Here is a link to a site that will give you more ideas for Juneau

http://cruiseportinsider.com/juneau.html

You've given me reason to rethink the Tracy Arm trip since you pointed out that we'll already see the Hubbard Glacier the day before we arrive in Juneau....that kinda fell off my radar in focusing on planning excursions! In light of that, I think we will focus on doing other things in Juneau and save Tracy Arm for another trip, per your suggestion. Thanks for your input!

I did not check this itinerary, and thought they were referring to an add on Tracy Arm? Now it comes out it is a round trip Juneau tour.

Big difference. In my opinion, the access and viewing is about time. I consider this, ship tour

time too short.

Allen Marine is the only vendor in Juneau with the ship contracts.

An independent with more time, would have to opportunity for more wildlife viewing.

Being so early in the season, I would do a walk up booking- pretty often available, with Adventure Bound, and get an answer IF they are accessing Tracy Arm- to the glaciers or not.

Budget Queen, our itinerary is as follows: depart Vancouver, inside passage cruising, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier (cruising), Juneau, Ketchikan, inside passage cruising, then back to Vancouver. Bonvoyagie pointed out that we'll already see the Hubbard Glacier the day before Juneau, so I think we are going to redirect our focus on doing other things in Juneau and save Tracy Arm for a (hopefully) future trip in the summer when we're more likely to actually get to Tracy Arm. Thanks so much for all your insight! Happy Easter!

Its your trip but Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm are vastly different places. Your chances of getting to the glacier are very good by small boat, far far less by cruise ship. I've been into Tracy Arm 6-8+ times by cruise hsip and have never made it past the 'Y" split to the glaciers, there is simply not enough time for the cruise ships to go farther. Here is a llnk to a thread with photos taken on several trips into Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283269&highlight=blue+album

Very few cruise ship schedules allow an all day trip into Tracy Arm and I always suggest you take it if you have the time as it is rare to be able to. That being said there are many many great things to do in and around Juneau.

Personally I can't get enough glacier viewing as each is different every time I visit.

Very few cruise ship schedules allow an all day trip into Tracy Arm and I always suggest you take it if you have the time as it is rare to be able to. That being said there are many many great things to do in and around Juneau.

Personally I can't get enough glacier viewing as each is different every time I visit.

This is exactly my thought. When you have the time for this tour, it is a good idea to take advantage of it.

If you get blown away by amazing scenery, the Tracy Arm Fjord small boat tour will be major highlight of your trip. I do like BQ's advice of waiting until you are in Juneau though. You can make a call to Adventure Bound before your ship docks. You should be able to access the cell towers on land before actually docking. Since you are going so early in the season, I, too, would want to verify how far they think they can get you into the fjord on that particular day. We literally crunched our way through the ice to make it to the glacier. What an awesome experience it was.

Budget Queen, our itinerary is as follows: depart Vancouver, inside passage cruising, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier (cruising), Juneau, Ketchikan, inside passage cruising, then back to Vancouver. Bonvoyagie pointed out that we'll already see the Hubbard Glacier the day before Juneau, so I think we are going to redirect our focus on doing other things in Juneau and save Tracy Arm for a (hopefully) future trip in the summer when we're more likely to actually get to Tracy Arm. Thanks so much for all your insight! Happy Easter!

Some more to think about. There is NO comparison between a Tracy Arm boat tour and Hubbard Glacier. Again, your timing may be against you, as in May- usually the ships can not get as close to Hubbard as they can later in the season. You can be a mile away. Be sure to have your binoculars with you. It's a wide open bay with a 6 mile wide glacier wall. Tracy Arm is all twists and turns, close shore lines, some wildlife.

If you go with Adventure Bound- I have never known them to divert from Tracy Arm- but get a direct answer to this. I have done walk ups twice with no problem. I was ready to go, before the ship cleared and was easily off the ship with plenty of time to walk to their office.

Some more to think about. There is NO comparison between a Tracy Arm boat tour and Hubbard Glacier. Again, your timing may be against you, as in May- usually the ships can not get as close to Hubbard as they can later in the season. You can be a mile away. Be sure to have your binoculars with you. It's a wide open bay with a 6 mile wide glacier wall. Tracy Arm is all twists and turns, close shore lines, some wildlife.

We did get pretty close last May.

If you go with Adventure Bound- I have never known them to divert from Tracy Arm- but get a direct answer to this. I have done walk ups twice with no problem.

We went to Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier/Ford's Terror last year with Adventure Bound instead of Tracy Arm.

Edited by Coral

We did get pretty close last May.

We went to Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier/Ford's Terror last year with Adventure Bound instead of Tracy Arm.

But as you know- May is iffy with Hubbard and there have been many years with the increased distance I mention.

Thanks for the Adventure bound update- I have not seen it posted before, so it may not be common. Did they at least inform you of this prior to leaving?

Edited by Budget Queen

But as you know- May is iffy with Hubbard and there have been many years with the increased distance I mention.

Thanks for the Adventure bound update- I have not seen it posted before, so it may not be common. Did they at least inform you of this prior to leaving?

Heck - I missed Hubbard Glacier in July. We were 9 miles away. Glacier Bay seems to be the one sure thing :)

AdventureBound - they informed us on the boat before we left. They made the best of the situation. Having done Endicott Arm via large ship and via small boat, it is definitely better on a small boat. Some of the best whale watching I have seen was on this trip (this was actually in Juneau near our ship before returning to the Adventure Bound dock).

Edited by Coral