What would you do ... take 97-year old on cruise?

OceanPatter

Perhaps this is just a rhetorical question ... but am tossing it out there, anyway.

I've made a reservation for my 97-yo mom on a RT-cruise to Alaska leaving from San Francisco this summer (on the Grand Princess). This would be her third Alaska cruise, the last one being in 2011 on the Sea Princess to celebrate her 95th. We were taking a risk back then, as the Sea Princess was hit with back-to-back-to-back bouts of norovirus. Luckily, my mom had a safe and pleasant cruise.

However, I'm not so sure we want to risk it again this summer, as getting norovirus at her advanced age would probably be a tipping point. Of course, I would be vigilant in watching over what she touches/eats, but that's no guarantee.

These Princess Alaska cruises do seem rife with norovirus incidents. What would you advise?

Perhaps this is just a rhetorical question ... but am tossing it out there, anyway.

I've made a reservation for my 97-yo mom on a RT-cruise to Alaska leaving from San Francisco this summer (on the Grand Princess). This would be her third Alaska cruise, the last one being in 2011 on the Sea Princess to celebrate her 95th. We were taking a risk back then, as the Sea Princess was hit with back-to-back-to-back bouts of norovirus. Luckily, my mom had a safe and pleasant cruise.

However, I'm not so sure we want to risk it again this summer, as getting norovirus at her advanced age would probably be a tipping point. Of course, I would be vigilant in watching over what she touches/eats, but that's no guarantee.

These Princess Alaska cruises do seem rife with norovirus incidents. What would you advise?

Ask her doctor. Some folks of 97 are in better physical shape than those of 67.

Ask her doctor. Some folks of 97 are in better physical shape than those of 67.

I agree, age isn't a factor. It's her health, which various from person to person. My 95 year old grandmother could out walk us and was seldom sick.

If the doc says it's okay, take her so she can continue to enjoy life! No reason to let age stop her.

I would consider the probability of norovirus among several risks of travel at her age. How is her mobility, does she shuffle or walk, is her balance reasonably good? A moving ship deck may not be the best place for her if she is at increased risk of falling and breaking a bone. What are her health issues that need to be managed and how would being on a ship 24 hours from a hospital impact those? And most importantly, what does her doctor say about travel on a cruise ship and what a norovirus outbreak would mean for her immune system?

Does your mom want to go? Is she capable of walking? Are you up for watching over her?

If it was me and I was 97 I would want to go. Who knows what next year will bring. I don't like sitting at home.

Does your mom want to go? Is she capable of walking? Are you up for watching over her?

If it was me and I was 97 I would want to go. Who knows what next year will bring. I don't like sitting at home.

I fully expect to be cruising frequently when I'm 97. :D

Goal is to die the last day of a cruise <cheaper than a nursing home> and when the run my credit card it is maxed out at that point and there is zero balance in my banking/savings account. Anything less is lack of financial planning on my part. Current savings planing is that we are good till age 105 with retirement at age 65.

So when are you coming down? We live on the opposite coast, but will meet you half way. Joyce too, I expect.

Don't want to hijack the thread.

josephobrycki at Hotmail dot com :)

These Princess Alaska cruises do seem rife with norovirus incidents.

As I will be taking a Princess Alaska cruise this summer, I'm wondering on what basis do you make this claim?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

As I will be taking a Princess Alaska cruise this summer, I'm wondering on what basis do you make this claim?

Thanks

Must admit i am a bit worried too, as its a long way for us to travel (let alone the expense) to get sick with the virus.

I havent read any where in the forums that the Alaska cruises are bad...

8 weeks and counting....

sharon

Thanks

Must admit i am a bit worried too, as its a long way for us to travel (let alone the expense) to get sick with the virus.

I havent read any where in the forums that the Alaska cruises are bad...

8 weeks and counting....

sharon

Just because there's an occasional problem (and not only with Alaska), there is no reason to stress in advance. I hope you both have a wonderful cruise and stop worrying.

Archived