What would you do ... take 97-year old on cruise?

OceanPatter

I think I would worry more about a Caribbean cruise the first part of the year then I would about an Alaska cruise. I always feel if it's your time to go It will not matter where you are or what you are doing. Go, have a good time, take plenty of pictures and be with the ones you love.

Personally, I am not worried. I would expect that cruises to the Caribbean, possibly the Mediterranean and elsewhere would have greater novo virus outbreaks than Alaska.

I am just asking for evidence to support the claim that PCL have a greater number of cases than any other cruise line. When people make statements date, they should be a back them up with evidence that can be verified. Otherwise, people will make decisions based on spurious data.

I'm bringing disinfectant wipes to wipe down everything in the stateroom upon embarkation.

Other than that, the best protection is frequent handwashing.

We always carry a packet of wipes and always wipe down everything when entering our cabin for the first time. Remember to do the toilet button too. ;)

These Princess Alaska cruises do seem rife with norovirus incidents. What would you advise?

Norovirus is more prevalent in the winter, and Alaskan cruises are in the summer. I would think that any summer cruise would be less risky for noro than a winter cruise. I've only been on 5 Alaskan cruises so far, but I've never gotten sick or even heard of anyone being sick.

Looking at the CDC vessel sanitation site, and scanning the last several years, there's very few outbreaks in the summer. The vast majority seem to be Jan - Apr then start up again in Oct.

What makes you say that Princess Alaska cruises are "rife with norovirus incidents"?

Take her. This is what's going to make her happy.

Perhaps this is just a rhetorical question ... but am tossing it out there, anyway.

I've made a reservation for my 97-yo mom on a RT-cruise to Alaska leaving from San Francisco this summer (on the Grand Princess). This would be her third Alaska cruise, the last one being in 2011 on the Sea Princess to celebrate her 95th. We were taking a risk back then, as the Sea Princess was hit with back-to-back-to-back bouts of norovirus. Luckily, my mom had a safe and pleasant cruise.

However, I'm not so sure we want to risk it again this summer, as getting norovirus at her advanced age would probably be a tipping point. Of course, I would be vigilant in watching over what she touches/eats, but that's no guarantee.

These Princess Alaska cruises do seem rife with norovirus incidents. What would you advise?

I remember when the travel writer for the Chicago Tribune died while on another flight to a faraway place and there was general agreement that he'd gone the way he'd have wanted. His name was Stan Delaplane and his best travel tip for flying with kids was to have them wear a cheap cowboy hat. That way, if they had to throw up, they could do it into the hat and then throw the hat away.

As for age, a few hours before my father died at 96, he was on the phone with his latest girlfriend saying, "Honey, I think we're going to have to postpone our cruise to Alaska."

Your responses indicate, without a doubt, what an optimistic, resilient bunch you all are.

While my mom uses a walker, we would plan to wheel her around in her transport chair during the cruise. My concern, really, is a carryover from 2011 when the Sea Princess had a persistent streak of norovirus on the Alaska cruises from San Francisco (May to June).

Age doesn't seem to diminish my mom's desire to travel (we should all be so lucky). We have until June to make our final payment, so I'll continue to assess her strength.

Appreciate all your thoughtful replies.

OceanPatter, when you buy the transport chair, the exact same chair, same brand, is sold at Walgreen's much cheaper than at the medical supply stores, because they buy so many thousands of them. The one I bought last year was close to $400 at the med. supply store and $150 at Walgreens. And that week it was on sale for $99. My neighbor got this tip from a clerk at the med supply store who told her about the price difference.

Unless there is a very high probability of a problem, I feel you are just as safe at sea than on land. Who knows, beeing on the ship may mean she will avoid a virus going around where she lives on land while you are gone ! If we start beeing afraid of what might happen we should all run out of our houses as there are many potential risks for us to get hurt there ;).

But with a 95 years young dad who just caught a nasty bug ,while in hospital , this winter, I can fully understand you concern. I agree with other posters, if her doctor gives her the green light, I would not miss the chance to live such a special moment. If you do go, I wish you a great cruise.

Actually, it's more dangerous to visit a physicians office, or hospital than to go on a cruise ship, if you think about it.

Use the wet ones and germstar, and cater to her so much she doesn't need to touch anything.

Good point. I've had norovirus once, and I caught it from the nursing home my father-in-law was in.

I'm for taking her if her doctor agrees.

I can think of a lot worse things than dropping dead on a cruise in Alaska when I am 97. I think that would put me somewhere in the top 99th percentile of happy ways to go.

So agree with you! My Mom passed at 97 in a nursing home in "her own little world". I think if she had a choice she would of chosen a cruise ship over a nursing home.

Whatever you decide, I hope you Mom is happy!

I agree with the others. I depends on health, Dr. etc.

We sailed that itin-from SF. Sometimes the cruise up the coast can be a bit rocky, and there may be tendering ports. If she can manage those--then go.

My mother always wanted to go to Hawaii. When she was younger, there was no money. When she was finally able to go, she was too frail. She never got to see Hawaii--or Alaska.

Go. :D

Pat

Archived