Elete class

seabreeze78

I think part of the problem is that there are some Elites who have sailed many many days with Celebrity but only get the same perks as those (like myself) who achieved Elite status via my Royal Caribbean status or through a few longer cruises in C or AQ cabins (as I will do after my next cruise). I can understand why they feel a little aggrieved at having spent a lot of time/money being loyal to Celebrity with no more to show than people like me, particularly with increased crowding in the happy hour drinks and Elite events.

Since Elite is equivalent to Diamond in Royal Caribbean I can see how it would make sense to introduce two new higher levels (equivalent to D+ and Pinnacle) with enhanced benefits for those new levels - and something to aspire to for regular Elite members.

I believe the majority of "elites" have done so by sailing 10 seven day cruises, each with the value of one point thus getting to the required threshold of 10 cruisepoints. (70 days on board)

Some may have achieved the same threshold by sailing 5 seven day cruises in concierge or above for 10 cruisepoints. (35 days on board)

Some have achieved elite status by cruising on 5 short cruises of 2, 3, 4, or 5 days in concierge, perhaps in as few as 20 days.

A person sailing only 10 day cruises might spend a 100 days at sea to become elite whereas someone else may have achieved the same by sailing only for 20 days.

So what do you mean by "I'd like the same thing afforded to me?"

You're saying*you believe* that they have. How long has AQ and CC been two points? How long have they been giving three points for longer cruises booked in those classes? JMHO, but I would say that it's probably more people achieving faster through the classes that award more points than the shorter cruises.

I honestly hope that the program isn't changed so dramatically where a person can't achieve some sort of perk for their loyalty. Speaking for myself, the hubby and I might only be able to sail once a year, twice if we are lucky....but money is money and I would think there are a lot more casual cruisers out there than diehards and it's been in my experience that the diehards are a small percentage of people.

And my statement on afforded(?).....the same consideration as those before me.

I achieved Elite level after four cruises. I have never yet sailed as Elite but I've read about the perks. The laundry and 90 minutes of Internet will be helpful. I'll avoid the happy hour, too many people.

Undoubtedly Celebrity needs to expand and improve its loyalty program. I look forward to seeing what the new program offers.

Just imagine the hoopla on the CC message board when it gets officially announced!

Xellent as a first time Celebrity cruiser, which will occur when I sail on Silhouette next Sunday, am I to understand by your post that Celebrity at one time did have it set up differently as far as how you obtained points to achieve each level in the Captain's Club and that Celebrity changed it to what is currently in place today?

This is how Celebrity has tallied points for the last ten years or so.

What I'm guessing is that there will be a change to make the attainment of levels uniform to the actual number of days sailed:

a two night cruise will give you two points (based on 70-80 days for elite)

a 10 night cruise will give you 10 points and so on.

The days of getting two points for a two night cruise (I believe) will soon be over.

The people who have missed out by not taking advantage of that disparity will make the most noise just as they did at RCI when the change was implemented.

As the number of "inclusive" drinkers increases, through specials such as the 1,2,3 promo, the actual benefit of being elite will be greatly reduced and much of the "noise" will go away.

The other benefits of free internet and free laundry perks, though nice, are not as important to many elites as the free social hour.

I think the social hour in one specific lounge will be gone for elites and replaced with three drink vouchers.

So the main perks for being elite are:

3 free drinks

90 minutes of internet

2 items free dry cleaning and ironed

20 items washed but not ironed for free.

For most "cruise addicts" such as myself the perks are nice but not the main reason to cruise on Celebrity.

You're saying*you believe* that they have. How long has AQ and CC been two points? How long have they been giving three points for longer cruises booked in those classes? JMHO, but I would say that it's probably more people achieving faster through the classes that award more points than the shorter cruises.

I believe the change took place around 2003 +/- a year.

I know our earlier two week cruises were only awarded 1 point.

I have never counted the number of passengers in AQ/CC/Suites as opposed to "ordinary" cabins whether inside or balcony.

AQ started in November 2008.

On the new S-class ships there is no advantage to booking a Concierge over a balcony other than getting double points. (plus a bottle of bubbly and daily crackers)

I have been reading alot about a different tier system of members of elite class for those who have traveled many cruises with celebrity. I'm ok with that, however as a newly minted select menber..and will be elite after a few planned cruises, Iam not so sure about " how easy it is to become an elite" comment I have heard from some who already elite, and frankly became elite under the same conditions, but now think its too easy for others to become elite member. whew I hope thats not garbled. Hey Im ok with extra perks if you do alot of cruises with celebrity beyond elite.. but when you want the rules changed, after you got elite under the same rules... well a few of us would like to know how you would feel in our place. Seriously I cruise once , maybe twice a year...I don't consider it too easy.

I think they say that because you can make elite in just five 3 night cruises if you sail in Concierge class, since you earn double points. That is only 15 nights at sea I have earned Select on Celebrity directly with 3 previous cruises, but I am elite because I earned Diamond on Royal.

A few years ago, Royal had to make it more difficult to get diamond and they went from points per cruise to nights at sea. They also bumped the nights at sea up to 80. Even in a Suite you need to spend 40 nights at sea before you earn Diamond.

I think that is why people talk about it being fairly easy to get Elite Status

I am someone who was Elite by virtue of being Diamond with RCL. However, after 3 cruises with Celebrity - 2 more than 12 nights and 2 in C class - my next cruise is in C class and is more than 12 nights, so I will achieve Elite status in my own right through my cruises on Celebrity. That's Elite after 4 cruises - so I can definitely see why people think it's too easy to get to Elite and my reasoning has nothing to do with not wanting other people to become Elite. As Phil pointed out above, there is a lot of overcrowding now in Elite events (particularly on some sailings) much like there was a lot of discussion on the RC boards about overcrowding in the Concierge lounges due to the high number of Diamond members. I can't help wondering whether the use of vouchers will become a perk for Elite members but the Elite 'cocktail hour' will be for 'Elite plus', thus eliminating overcrowding but still giving Elite members their free nightly drinks.

I agree that something will happen, and soon. I would point out though that it's not only full suites whereby you gain double points on RC. A Junior Suite gets double points when in fact it has no other suite privileges. We gained our D status quickly on RC because we always sailed in JS's. Having achieved that status we rarely book a JS now as they are usually so much more expensive. You make an interesting point about removing the double points for C and AQ class. RC didn't remove it when they changed their loyalty system but proportionally there are a lot less JS's on a RC ship than there are C and AQ class on a Celebrity ship.

I also think they will adopt the RC system of days sailed - watch these boards light up - and pity the poor Crown & Anchor people who have to deal with the fallout.

Jr Suites are also proportionally much more expensive than Concierge Class cabins.

3 free drinks

90 minutes of internet

For most "cruise addicts" such as myself the perks are nice but not the main reason to cruise on Celebrity.

I would think that there would be new, additional and more substantial perks for the " new " higher levels, something that would be interesting even for cruise addicts like " Xellent".

Jr Suites are also proportionally much more expensive than Concierge Class cabins.

Hadn't realised that. That's interesting then, so maybe they could remove the double points from AQ/C class but keep it for Junior Suites on RC.

I do realise that RC and Celebrity are separate entities but also think they are perhaps trying to bring them more in line with each other since they have reciprocal loyalty benefits.

This is how Celebrity has tallied points for the last ten years or so.

What I'm guessing is that there will be a change to make the attainment of levels uniform to the actual number of days sailed:

a two night cruise will give you two points (based on 70-80 days for elite)

a 10 night cruise will give you 10 points and so on.

The days of getting two points for a two night cruise (I believe) will soon be over.

The people who have missed out by not taking advantage of that disparity will make the most noise just as they did at RCI when the change was implemented.

As the number of "inclusive" drinkers increases, through specials such as the 1,2,3 promo, the actual benefit of being elite will be greatly reduced and much of the "noise" will go away.

The other benefits of free internet and free laundry perks, though nice, are not as important to many elites as the free social hour.

I think the social hour in one specific lounge will be gone for elites and replaced with three drink vouchers.

3 free drinks

90 minutes of internet

Arno:

I believe that the coupon is for only 1 dry clean item. The wash coupon may be 30 items or 20 items based on the location of the cruise.

Agree that most of the seriously addicted don't cruise for the benefits.

Prediction: Coupons only for Elites.A Lounge with servers for a new level.

I'm hoping that when they announce a change that they leave the 'Elite' level as it is regardless of the name. Meaning that there will be level (call it anything you like) around 10 points that gives the same perks that is currently elite. Then they could add some additional levels with even better perks. That way the don't de-value what people have already accumulated but let those that have sailed alot more have some additional advantages. I think that would be fair.

Thoughts?

Be careful what you ask for - Princess couldn't make up its mind, and counts both cruises and days (e.g. fifth cruise or 50 cruise days).

Also on Princess, if you book solo in a suite you get 3 cruise credits. You can be top-tier Princess after taking 5 of those one day Vancouver-Seattle cruises solo in a suite. Nice if you live near there.

My (so far) 1 cruise with Celebrity has netted me 3 points. Somehow I don't feel like I'm as loyal to Celebrity as someone who has taken 3 10-day cruises.

Meaning that there will be level (call it anything you like) around 10 points that gives the same perks that is currently elite.

Thoughts?

I think the only difference will be the change from your point level multiplied by 7 or 8 to get an approximate days cruised without actually looking up the real sailing history.

If you have 10 points and are elite now you will probably wind up with 70 or 80 cruising days and still be elite with similar perks as now.

Pure speculation on my part but the new president spent a long time at RCI.

I'm hoping that when they announce a change that they leave the 'Elite' level as it is regardless of the name. Meaning that there will be level (call it anything you like) around 10 points that gives the same perks that is currently elite. Then they could add some additional levels with even better perks. That way the don't de-value what people have already accumulated but let those that have sailed alot more have some additional advantages. I think that would be fair.

Thoughts?

I've posted this before. What I've heard from several well placed sources:

There will be two additional levels

Days and Amount spent will be factored into any point system

Current Select and Elite will be "grandfathered" in at their current levels

There will be higher numbers required to achieve the existing levels

Have not heard of new benefits.

I've posted this before. What I've heard from several well placed sources:

There will be two additional levels

Days and Amount spent will be factored into any point system

Current Select and Elite will be "grandfathered" in at their current levels

There will be higher numbers required to achieve the existing levels

Have not heard of new benefits.

I guess what concerns me here is that I would be 'grandfathered' in at Select which has really no benefits I would use but it could take me another say '35' days at sea to reach Elite (making this up) versus just having maybe one more cruise to go to reach Elite which would be where I would find some benefits I could actually use.

There really isn't any point in worrying about it because there isn't anything I can do about it. The point of a loyality program is to encourage people to remain loyal with a certain brand. Either to keep sailing to get the status you want or to reap the rewards of being a loyal customer. Guess will have to see what they do and hope that they do it right.

I guess what concerns me here is that I would be 'grandfathered' in at Select which has really no benefits I would use but it could take me another say '35' days at sea to reach Elite (making this up) versus just having maybe one more cruise to go to reach Elite which would be where I would find some benefits I could actually use.

There really isn't any point in worrying about it because there isn't anything I can do about it. The point of a loyality program is to encourage people to remain loyal with a certain brand. Either to keep sailing to get the status you want or to reap the rewards of being a loyal customer. Guess will have to see what they do and hope that they do it right.

The cynic in me says that any change will be made with an eye on the bottom line. The simple fact is that the current program is just costing X too much money and is having a negative impact on the bottomline. Raising the criteria for the levels will slow down the number of people reaching Select or Elite. I would like to believe that what you say quite correctly about the point of a loyalty program is the motivating factor, but I don't think that's true in this case. I understand that the profit margin for Celebrity is currently about 3% and that's below the industry average. Bayley has a responsibility to his stockholders toincrease profit margins. Nomatter what they may do it won't be right for those who feel shortchanged.

The cynic in me says that any change will be made with an eye on the bottom line. The simple fact is that the current program is just costing X too much money and is having a negative impact on the bottomline. Raising the criteria for the levels will slow down the number of people reaching Select or Elite. I would like to believe that what you say quite correctly about the point of a loyalty program is the motivating factor, but I don't think that's true in this case. I understand that the profit margin for Celebrity is currently about 3% and that's below the industry average. Bayley has a responsibility to his stockholders toincrease profit margins. Nomatter what they may do it won't be right for those who feel shortchanged.

I'm afraid you are probably right but I can keep hoping. I think they're going to have to rethink of alot of ways people earn points. For instance, I'm reserved for Conceirge class cabin on the Reflection. I could have gone for a standard veranda (sans the bubbly wine and extra breakfast items) but I chose Conceirge for the extra point and paid more. Probably wouldn't do that again if they de-value the points system. There's a lot of cause and effect here and I'm sure they're scratching their heads trying to find the balance. It's a wait and see!

I'm afraid you are probably right but I can keep hoping. I think they're going to have to rethink of alot of ways people earn points. For instance, I'm reserved for Conceirge class cabin on the Reflection. I could have gone for a standard veranda (sans the bubbly wine and extra breakfast items) but I chose Conceirge for the extra point and paid more. Probably wouldn't do that again if they de-value the points system. There's a lot of cause and effect here and I'm sure they're scratching their heads trying to find the balance. It's a wait and see!

Have to agree, I book Concierge cabins, but will go to just a veranda if Concierge doesn't get the extra points. The perks are not enough to keep me in that category.

I've wondered if they added the extra point to make AQ and CC more appealing and therefore worth the extra cost. It took us 15 years to achieve Elite but now with taking longer cruises in AQ, we've added nine points in two years!

That makes a lot of sense. I doubt, from what I've read and personal opinion, that many people cruise because of the loyalty benefits. So, they may be wise to just do away with all of them and continue to keep the cruise prices low for everyone. I bet loyal X cruisers will gripe a little, but then not care.

It may be fair for them to continue the benefits for the cruises where people are already booked and past the final payment date (can't cancel if they really care). But, that would only be for cruises in the near term from when they make the change. My guess is they wouldn't have much fallout and the savings from the cost of doing the program would far outweigh the loss.

Tom

Bingo! If you remember, Mr. Bayley said he thought Celebrity was worth more, in an interview (paraphrasing, not his real words). So, I think you are correct, if they do change the Captain's Club, it will reflect his sentiments.

I think most people sail AQ to eat in Blu rather than for extra points. Concierge is a different deal. Since the rooms are the same size there isn't a lot of benefit to paying a lot extra for a bottle of cheap sparkling wine and some treats you can get elsewhere. But, they could even convert those rooms to regular veranda and not lose a lot. I think they often end up selling them off at a lower price and still having to pay for the extra stuff and extra loyalty point.

I don't think people are loyal to X for the loyalty program. I think they just like it for lots of other reason. The perks are nice, but not the reason we sail with X. We like the no smoking, food, service, decor, etc. I use the internet, but I'd still use internet if I had to pay an extra $60 or so.

Tom

I've wondered if they added the extra point to make AQ and CC more appealing and therefore worth the extra cost. It took us 15 years to achieve Elite but now with taking longer cruises in AQ, we've added nine points in two years!

I think most people sail AQ to eat in Blu rather than for extra points. Concierge is a different deal. Since the rooms are the same size there isn't a lot of benefit to paying a lot extra for a bottle of cheap sparkling wine and some treats you can get elsewhere. But, they could even convert those rooms to regular veranda and not lose a lot. I think they often end up selling them off at a lower price and still having to pay for the extra stuff and extra loyalty point.

I don't think people are loyal to X for the loyalty program. I think they just like it for lots of other reason. The perks are nice, but not the reason we sail with X. We like the no smoking, food, service, decor, etc. I use the internet, but I'd still use internet if I had to pay an extra $60 or so.

Tom

We cruise AQ for Blu and the Persian Gardens and I agree completely about Concierge. We tried it once because it was cheaper than a regular balcony cabin - and we got the extra point that put us in Elite! However, the little bottle of sparkling wine and daily canapes wouldn't make it worth any extra cost to us.

I like the free internet but you get a lot more minutes from Princess - and we're not near the top tier there.

They could fix that by having free unlimited wireless like [everyone else in the world] and stop charging so much for it. The internet tech would still suck, but I can't imagine it's a huge money maker for them and they'd get a ton of good karma. They could have this just in the Cafe or Library or something like that too rather than in all the rooms. Doing wireless in all the rooms is problematic.

Tom

We cruise AQ for Blu and the Persian Gardens and I agree completely about Concierge. We tried it once because it was cheaper than a regular balcony cabin - and we got the extra point that put us in Elite! However, the little bottle of sparkling wine and daily canapes wouldn't make it worth any extra cost to us.

I like the free internet but you get a lot more minutes from Princess - and we're not near the top tier there.

Archived