Elete class

seabreeze78

I have been reading alot about a different tier system of members of elite class for those who have traveled many cruises with celebrity. I'm ok with that, however as a newly minted select menber..and will be elite after a few planned cruises, Iam not so sure about " how easy it is to become an elite" comment I have heard from some who already elite, and frankly became elite under the same conditions, but now think its too easy for others to become elite member. whew I hope thats not garbled. Hey Im ok with extra perks if you do alot of cruises with celebrity beyond elite.. but when you want the rules changed, after you got elite under the same rules... well a few of us would like to know how you would feel in our place. Seriously I cruise once , maybe twice a year...I don't consider it too easy.

I have been reading alot about a different tier system of members of elite class for those who have traveled many cruises with celebrity. I'm ok with that, however as a newly minted select menber..and will be elite after a few planned cruises, Iam not so sure about " how easy it is to become an elite" comment I have heard from some who already elite, and frankly became elite under the same conditions, but now think its too easy for others to become elite member. whew I hope thats not garbled. Hey Im ok with extra perks if you do alot of cruises with celebrity beyond elite.. but when you want the rules changed, after you got elite under the same rules... well a few of us would like to know how you would feel in our place. Seriously I cruise once , maybe twice a year...I don't consider it too easy.

I wish I could cruise more often but unfortunately it's not possible. I'd like to be able to earn Elite status without having to take a ton of cruises before doing so. And that's no knock on those that have. I tip my hat to those who have been able to take a lot of cruises. I can see why they do because I was hooked after my first one back in 2011. I'm all for adding new tiers and even more perks with each level(kind of like what Royal Caribbean has done) but it would be nice to get to that elite level after 5 cruises(because I plan on booking Aqua class or higher :D)

I do not disagree with you:). We have been elite now for the last few cruises and hopefully any new tiers (if they happen) will be in addition to what is already offered and not take anything away from existing tiers.

Thank you and BTY I realizedI spelled Elite wrong. All for the tiers...not so much "lets change the rules now we got our initial elite status under the same rule... but now we think it's too easy"

Thank you and BTY I realizedI spelled Elite wrong. All for the tiers...not so much "lets change the rules now we got our initial elite status under the same rule... but now we think it's too easy"

Exactly! I'd stay on a cruise if I could, but time and money don't allow me to do so. I'm a middle class person who gets four weeks of vacay a year and I have a time taking those due to working in a small office where I am needed. I couldn't take a B2B2B2B if I wanted to. We are choosing build our loyality with Celebrity and have booked two more after this one that hubby and I will take in April. I feel the very same way. It's so easy to say *Let's change the rules* after you already after you've made your initial status. Add to the tiers, but don't subtract what's already been given.

Amazing, you hit the nail on the head. They got to Elite the same way new passengers can get there, but now it is too easy. I guess those that want to change it are not Elite enough. LOL!

When people make the statement I believe they are usually referring to number of cruises that are necessary to meet the current highest level on Celebrity compared to other cruise lines. On Celebrity you can earn 3 credits on one cruise if booking a CC class or greater for I think 10 days. So in theory you can be at the highest Elite Status after only four cruises which would be 12 points. Therefore it is relatively easy to get to that level. So you could be there in only two years if you take two cruises a year. Of course if you take shorter cruises in regular balcony cabin it would take 10 cruises or 5 years.

Where as on Princess you would need to have 15 cruises unless you booked a full suite which gets a double credit and it would be at least 8 cruises. If Celebrity either goes toward an all inclusive with the drink packages like the 123 promotion or gives out drink vouchers instead of the 2 hour cocktail party it should not really matter as to how many are at that level.

Celebrity has improved the benefits associated with the Captain Club significantly in the last 3 or 4 years before that it did not amount to much as I recall. When I first joined I had to pay a fee and that was eliminated many years ago.

I am not convinced that Celebrity is going to make it more difficult to get to the Elite status for the reason that you state. Nor are they likely to reduce the benefits associated with that level significantly. I do believe that they are likely to add some higher levels with additional benefits.

Good luck in getting to the next level. In the meantime enjoy your new Select benefits and your cruise.

When people make the statement I believe they are usually referring to number of cruises that are necessary to meet the current highest level on Celebrity compared to other cruise lines. On Celebrity you can earn 3 credits on one cruise if booking a CC class or greater for I think 10 days. So in theory you can be at the highest Elite Status after only four cruises which would be 12 points. Therefore it is relatively easy to get to that level. So you could be there in only two years if you take two cruises a year. Of course if you take shorter cruises in regular balcony cabin it would take 10 cruises or 5 years.

Where as on Princess you would need to have 15 cruises unless you booked a full suite which gets a double credit and it would be at least 8 cruises. If Celebrity either goes toward an all inclusive with the drink packages like the 123 promotion or gives out drink vouchers instead of the 2 hour cocktail party it should not really matter as to how many are at that level.

Celebrity has improved the benefits associated with the Captain Club significantly in the last 3 or 4 years before that it did not amount to much as I recall. When I first joined I had to pay a fee and that was eliminated many years ago.

I am not convinced that Celebrity is going to make it more difficult to get to the Elite status for the reason that you state. Nor are they likely to reduce the benefits associated with that level significantly. I do believe that they are likely to add some higher levels with additional benefits.

Good luck in getting to the next level. In the meantime enjoy your new Select benefits and your cruise.

Thanks for your kind response, I would choose Celebrity even if the Captains club even existed. It was simply a statement of , yes build extra tiers if you want, but alot of us don't find it too easy to get to elite level as it stands now. Im planning to enjoy some fresh sea air and a comfortable deck chair with a good book.

Thank you for posting this topic. I feel exactly the same way. DH gets less than 2 weeks vacation including sick time so we're not able to cruise more than one week a year and there are often other commitments that prevent us cruising. We just hit select and would love to be elite but it willl be a while even cruising conceirge class.

Changing rules would be a bit of disappointment. We might try some other cruiselines if the bar goes too high as our current rate of cruising is low. Right now we're doing Celebrity exclusively to move through the tiers.

We will be elite after our fourth cruise. And if I look to the perks, it only becomes interesting once you are elite. The previous two levels don't give you a lot of perks...

To become elite in short cruises and you don't go CC or aqua class you need to cruise 10 times...

We go aqua class (extra point) and our upcoming med cruise is 3 points since in aqua class and 12 nights long cruise... so we get to the select level after two cruises.

Elite will be 2 cruises extra, so from the fifth cruise...

I agree it's way too easy to become Elite. It's good that so many are able to enjoy the perks associated with it, but sadly the Elite events are now just a bun fight and for someone who doesn't particularly like crowds of people I tend to stay away now unless I have a special reason to go. Word on the street is that there will be an announcement in the Summer of two new Captain's Club levels. It's been talked of for quite a while, but I have a feeling this time it will be done.

Phil

We won't even hit Select until our next cruise - so we are working our way to Elite very slowly. While having some perks - and who wouldn't want to have those - getting to Elite doesn't really matter too much to us. I'd of been Elite by now or very close (depending on booking c.c. class or not) if I had not cruised on Carnival, something I'm happy to do when that is what the others in my party can budget for. I really don't want to see the criteria for getting to the levels changed - but if they do it - it wouldn't be a reason for me to look at another line.

I think what the mindset of SOME of those that are Elite and now proclaim "that it is too easy to reach" is because instead of just enjoying the level's perks - that SOME have come to believe that there is also sense of actual "status" which in my mind is laughable and they act like they have to protect their private club. All the while telling us that the reason that they like to actually get in the same room for their cocktails is that they like to seek out and meet others like themselves - when in reality - the more Elite that there are - the less special that they feel - therefore yes, they'd like to see it harder for the rest of us to attain the Elite level.

Haven't we all met that person that brags about their status and drones on all through dinner about all their cruises while I'm sitting there thinking "oh my - this person's travel is actually limited" because there are so many travel experiences beyond a ship. So while I'd love to have those perks someday - cruising in not the only way we travel - and I won't be giving those experiences up to reach Elite any faster. Just MHO - :p get the flame throwers ready.

[size=3

Haven't we all met that person that brags about their status and drones on all through dinner about all their cruises while I'm sitting there thinking "oh my - this person's travel is actually limited" because there are so many travel experiences beyond a ship. So while I'd love to have those perks someday - cruising in not the only way we travel - and I won't be giving those experiences up to reach Elite any faster. Just MHO - :p get the flame throwers ready.

We are experienced cruisers and for us there isn't another type of vacation (at this point in our lives and for the last 30 years). We are not in any sense of the word "well traveled". I enjoy hearing other folks tell stories of their travels, we're just happy to be on a ship. If the Mercury was still around and did the 10 day Mexican cruises from San Diego, we would be on her 2 or 3 times a year and be very content. :)

We are experienced cruisers and for us there isn't another type of vacation (at this point in our lives and for the last 30 years). We are not in any sense of the word "well traveled". I enjoy hearing other folks tell stories of their travels, we're just happy to be on a ship. If the Mercury was still around and did the 10 day Mexican cruises from San Diego, we would be on her 2 or 3 times a year and be very content. :)

And you sound like you would be a joy to know and cruise with! I love to learn the tips and tricks from the more experienced cruisers - and what a bore if we were all the same!

I am not advocating for a change, so do not be offended....But it esaier to make the top tier of Celebrity's loyalty program than any other cruiselines, as far as I know.

You cruise once a year? Well, if instead of a seven day cruise, if you'd book two back to back short cruises (3, 4, 5 day cruises, depending upon your schedule) in CC cabin, you'd get four credits Repeat one year later, and you have eight credits the third year, if you do any cruise in a cc cabin or higher, you'd be Elite for life.

maybe the four day cruises do not appeal to you. if so, you must choose between loyalty points and vacation pleasure. perhaps most people chose pleasure, but that does not negate the argument.

A couple years ago Royal Caribbean's system was similar to X's (except one had to book a pricier JS to get double points as CC does not exist on RCCL). they changed to points. It is now much harder to reach Diamond or Diamond plus by taking short cruises. It is also a bit slower for this who take 7 night cruises. OTOH, it is faster for those who take, say, ten or eleven night cruises and for those doing long cruises in suites. so I do find it funny when X elites complain about RCCL D/D+ causing crowding. because it is relatively easy, I made X elite quickly and "crowded" the RCCL lounges for multiple cruises by reciprocity. the fastest way to RCCL D is via X elite.

I think that there will be a change in the way that cruise points will be accumulated and the model will be RCI's.

Presently a person who likes the Equinox 10 and 11 day sailings would get two points for sailing in a standard inside/oceanview/balcony cabin for 21 days. At the same time a person sailing on a 2 or 4 or 5 night cruise in Concierge or above would also get two points.

I believe that the disparity should and will be corrected.

If the RCI model is used, a person would be elite after 80 nights of sailing, Elite Plus at 175 nights and Elite Ultimate/Apex at 700 nights.

The problem that Celebrity has created is the award of double points for Concierge, AQ and suites whereas RCI doubles points only for suites. That is what makes achieving Elite status comparatively easier on Celebrity than RCI.

It will be interesting to see if Concierge and AQ will continue to get double credit after the new program is announced.

I think my point was that before becoming elite, did anyone really care our think that status was too easy for themto reach When they were classic or select did they say ooh this is easy I'm fine with different tiers of elites I just want to have the opportunity to reach that status under the same conditions that the current elites did

And you sound like you would be a joy to know and cruise with! I love to learn the tips and tricks from the more experienced cruisers - and what a bore if we were all the same!

Thank you, it's kind of you to say -- We learn things every time we cruise and of course on Cruise Critic! :)

We became Elite before there were any meaningful perks, so we never really gave any thought to how difficult it was to make it. The best perk under the old program was being able to use the T pool on the Mercury -- boy that was nice, we miss it :(

All of our Celebrity cruises were 10 days or longer, so I guess we did it the "hard" way.

I think that there will be a change in the way that cruise points will be accumulated and the model will be RCI's.

Presently a person who likes the Equinox 10 and 11 day sailings would get two points for sailing in a standard inside/oceanview/balcony cabin for 21 days. At the same time a person sailing on a 2 or 4 or 5 night cruise in Concierge or above would also get two points.

I believe that the disparity should and will be corrected.

If the RCI model is used, a person would be elite after 80 nights of sailing, Elite Plus at 175 nights and Elite Ultimate/Apex at 700 nights.

The problem that Celebrity has created is the award of double points for Concierge, AQ and suites whereas RCI doubles points only for suites. That is what makes achieving Elite status comparatively easier on Celebrity than RCI.

It will be interesting to see if Concierge and AQ will continue to get double credit after the new program is announced.

I am someone who was Elite by virtue of being Diamond with RCL. However, after 3 cruises with Celebrity - 2 more than 12 nights and 2 in C class - my next cruise is in C class and is more than 12 nights, so I will achieve Elite status in my own right through my cruises on Celebrity. That's Elite after 4 cruises - so I can definitely see why people think it's too easy to get to Elite and my reasoning has nothing to do with not wanting other people to become Elite. As Phil pointed out above, there is a lot of overcrowding now in Elite events (particularly on some sailings) much like there was a lot of discussion on the RC boards about overcrowding in the Concierge lounges due to the high number of Diamond members. I can't help wondering whether the use of vouchers will become a perk for Elite members but the Elite 'cocktail hour' will be for 'Elite plus', thus eliminating overcrowding but still giving Elite members their free nightly drinks.

I agree that something will happen, and soon. I would point out though that it's not only full suites whereby you gain double points on RC. A Junior Suite gets double points when in fact it has no other suite privileges. We gained our D status quickly on RC because we always sailed in JS's. Having achieved that status we rarely book a JS now as they are usually so much more expensive. You make an interesting point about removing the double points for C and AQ class. RC didn't remove it when they changed their loyalty system but proportionally there are a lot less JS's on a RC ship than there are C and AQ class on a Celebrity ship.

I also think they will adopt the RC system of days sailed - watch these boards light up - and pity the poor Crown & Anchor people who have to deal with the fallout.

I am hoping that Celebrity adjusts the Captain's Club program to days instead of number of cruises. I am sure they will grandfather in those who have already attained the Elite level in the program. I suspect that they will be going to the voucher system for the cocktail hour with so many having attained Elite status plus those who get it through their C&A Diamond status. While the crossover privilege is nice, it has caused crowding issues. I look forward to news on upgrades and tweaking of the CC program.

I also think they will adopt the RC system of days sailed - watch these boards light up - and pity the poor Crown & Anchor people who have to deal with the fallout.

I think days does make sense and yes indeed. It will be interesting to read the fall out and as part of the deal hard hats must be issued to all Captain's Club staff. ;) It will make the current discussions on the Azamara board about free booze seem like a walk in the park! LOL

Phil

I think I'm missing something honestly. So I don't know how any of the Elites here that have made that status did so, but someone is crying foul because I'd like the same thing afforded to me?:confused:

I believe the majority of "elites" have done so by sailing 10 seven day cruises, each with the value of one point thus getting to the required threshold of 10 cruisepoints. (70 days on board)

Some may have achieved the same threshold by sailing 5 seven day cruises in concierge or above for 10 cruisepoints. (35 days on board)

Some have achieved elite status by cruising on 5 short cruises of 2, 3, 4, or 5 days in concierge, perhaps in as few as 20 days.

A person sailing only 10 day cruises might spend a 100 days at sea to become elite whereas someone else may have achieved the same by sailing only for 20 days.

So what do you mean by "I'd like the same thing afforded to me?"

I believe the majority of "elites" have done so by sailing 10 seven day cruises, each with the value of one point thus getting to the required threshold of 10 cruisepoints. (70 days on board)

Some may have achieved the same threshold by sailing 5 seven day cruises in concierge or above for 10 cruisepoints. (35 days on board)

Some have achieved elite status by cruising on 5 short cruises of 2, 3, 4, or 5 days in concierge, perhaps in as few as 20 days.

A person sailing only 10 day cruises might spend a 100 days at sea to become elite whereas someone else may have achieved the same by sailing only for 20 days.

So what do you mean by "I'd like the same thing afforded to me?"

Xellent as a first time Celebrity cruiser, which will occur when I sail on Silhouette next Sunday, am I to understand by your post that Celebrity at one time did have it set up differently as far as how you obtained points to achieve each level in the Captain's Club and that Celebrity changed it to what is currently in place today?

I think all people are saying is it would be nice to achieve elite status and the perks that come with it without maybe having to sail a ton of cruises. As I said in my earlier post, I have absolutely nothing against those that have been able to sail so many times. In fact, good for them, I do wish I could do it more often but unfortunately I can't. I am in agreement with you and others though that maybe they should add a couple of more tiers to the Captain's Club after Elite and add additional perks to each one

I think my point was that before becoming elite, did anyone really care our think that status was too easy for themto reach When they were classic or select did they say ooh this is easy I'm fine with different tiers of elites I just want to have the opportunity to reach that status under the same conditions that the current elites did

Yes, when I was at 4 credits, I counted points and realized "wow, it is going to be easy for us to make elite." And a couple of our early cruises were in FV cabins, not CC, or we'd have made it faster. I sail other lines and so I could easily see how much easier it was for us to make X's top tier than to make top (or second to top) tier on other lines.

I want you to make it, too, but naturally it will be slower if you only sail once a year. So, it may not seem as easy. You'd need to see where you'd be under other loyalty programs to appreciate the relative ease.

When RCCL converted to points, they used a formula. Under their formula, I came out a bit ahead vs number of nights sailed (my RCCL cruises were mostly 7 night) Some people (those who had done mostly ten or eleven night cruises, for example) came out a bit behind in terms of points vs night sailed...of course, they were disadvantage by the old system, too. Those who did short cruises came out way ahead...of course, they were also advantaged under the old system. If you have been doing seven night or shorter cruises, you will be fine if X changes to points and if they use a formula similar to the one RCCL used. Or maybe X won't change.

NCL also changed systems. They actually checked cruise histories and gave points per night sailed with double for nights for suites. Older sailings were less well documented in their computer system, so we had to email the details of an older cruise to get all the points. They apologized for the delay as they were swamped with such emails, but our credits came through in about a month. If X changes to points and if they use a similar system to NCL's to convert, you will be exactly where you belong in terms of nights sailed. Or maybe X won't change.

Archived