Crew Fund

Alaska_baby!

It's a general fund that's available to the benefit of all crew aboard a ship, not just the passenger-facing ones. For example, monies from the crew fund can be used for the happy (a crew party!) or sad (a crew member has some critical emergency).

Since Silversea crews do not expect tips, many passengers will see fit to make a donation to the crew fund in lieu of tipping.

Donating to the crew fund recognizes that all staff work to a high standard to ensure passengers have a good trip, not just the passenger-facing ones.

Donations are made at reception.

Even though the line is all inclusive(no tipping), we always contribute to the crew fund. You will get a nice letter from the crew fund manager. They post the info in the crew lounge as well and we have received many thank yous from the crew members subsequent to the donation. In addition to the things mentioned by CASHIPMAN, they also use the money to buy things for the crew lounge.

Funny, in all of our cruises on Silversea, we never knew about the crew fund. What a shame. Since it benefits the entire crew, and not just those we encounter "topside," I very much hope the company will find a way to inform all passengers about the opportunity to donate.

Can onboard credit from our travel agents be used for the crew fund?

Funny, in all of our cruises on Silversea, we never knew about the crew fund. What a shame. Since it benefits the entire crew, and not just those we encounter "topside," I very much hope the company will find a way to inform all passengers about the opportunity to donate.

Can onboard credit from our travel agents be used for the crew fund?

Onboard credit may not be used for the crew fund, however, there is nothing to stop you using credit in the boutique and gifting a purchase for the crew fund. This could be candies or something more substantial that could be used in a crew raffle. Speak to either the HD or the HR Manager if you wish to do the latter.

IMO given the service on SS a donation to the crew fund should be required. Just Me. These employees work so hard and without an encouragement of extra compensation, DW and I always help those closest to us and then make a generous $300 or more to take care of those we have never seen:D

We will certainly contribute then.

Just a side note- as I was reading the replies I had an odd picture in my head of secret crew members locked away out of sight. I know there are many positions (technical, culinary etc) which are based away from guests but I would certainly hope crew are able to disembark on their days off or spend time en plein air.

I am beginning to think we should have booked through a travel agent- we made our arrangements through SS ourselves.

I know about the Amex on-board credit. Would booking through an travel agent have provided a better credit?

We paid the deposit a couple days ago (not the entire amount because I was told SS travel insurance could not be added on afterwards and I wasn't sure if Josh wanted that). I was planning on calling back today to pay the remainder and ask about the Amex credit- should I instead book through a TA? Not even sure that is an option at this point though...

newlondon, $300 seems a rather paltry sum for a man of your means. Why not give $10,000? And what makes you think any cew member is underpaid? Why would you patronize a company that treats contractors so horribly?

Alaska Baby, if you already have a travel agent, ask Silversea if it's still possible to transfer your booking. I ALWAYS book cruises through our agent, not so much for onboard credits or other benefits his travel consortium might provide, but because an experienced agent has an established relationship with the cruise line, can assist in many "behind the scenes" situations, and will use real clout on your behalf should any problems arise. Passengers who book directly with a cruise line have little, if any, recourse if something goes wrong.

A good agent will also present options beyond those the cruise line offers, like independent tours vs. the ship's tours, hotel and transfer options, and will make sure you're set with any unusual information you might need to be aware of.

If you don't have your own agent, you can browse the list that Silversea provides. They are seasoned travel professionals, and a few phone interviews can help you identify one who really "hears" what you're looking for and who you feel comfortable with. In these days of instant communication, your agent doesn't even need to be located near you!

newlondon, $300 seems a rather paltry sum for a man of your means. Why not give $10,000? And what makes you think any cew member is underpaid? Why would you patronize a company that treats contractors so horribly?

Evidently, you must be one of those contractors!

Unlike the SS OBC, that provided by a TA is treated the same as cash, so you may be able to use it to donate to the crew fund. Ask at reception.

That explains why we have been unable to use our SS OBC or our Amex OBC for the Crew Fund. Thanks Doug!

oregon50, I can't find where I said they were underpaid. I said they work hard without the motivation of extra compensation. Still what I believe.

I also said $300 or more so maybe I do $10,000, you'll certainly never know.

Newlondon - You have posted as follows, regarding the crew fund and whether the crew knows how much you have donated:

"These employees work so hard and without an encouragement of extra compensation, DW and I always help those closest to us and then make a generous $300 or more to take care of those we have never seen."

"I was told they do not either on SS or RSSC. One of the reasons we tip our closest attendants personally."

Whilst I do indeed applaud your "generous" donation to the crew fund, why do you also find it necessary to tip certain other ship employees personally, irrespective of the SS policy of "gratuities included"? Would you not tip your "closest attendants" if they were made aware the of the amount of your crew fund donation? Or, rather, is the key issue here that the recipients of your generosity must be made aware of it and be "personally" put into the position of expressing their gratitude to you?

All things considered, I much prefer to contribute to the crew fund without requiring that the wonderful crew (whether the lovely people with whom we interact on a daily basis or those with whom we have no such interaction) feel obliged to thank us for our tips.

freddie, You are entitled to your opinion, I like to be thanked. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person. We were told by the purser on our last RSSC cruise that the names and amounts are not made available to the crew. According to others on this board that is not the case. It will not change the way we proceed.

I would also point out that a personal tip can be used by the recipient for whatever purpose they choose, including supporting family at home. That is not the case with the crew fund.

I am well aware that tipping is an incendiary topic on these boards. My personal opinion is that criticizing others in this area is an exercise in futility as I suspect that few, me included, will change how they do things.

Archived