what to take off the ship - excursions

ctfamilyof5

We are taking the Carnival Glory Western itinerary this month. All of us have passports (DH, DS 9, DS 7, DD 4).

Questions- when leaving ship and going on excursions what do you take with you? I know you take your ship card (sea and sail) but do you take your original passport, just copies of passport? your license (and if so what about the kids?)

Asking because we are doing cave tubing in Belize and I don't want to leave original passports in excursion van and we can't really take them on river with fear of getting wet.

So what is REALLY needed to get on and off the boat in these places:

Cozumel

Belize

Roatan

Grand Cayman

What do you do?

progress.gif

You are going to get a lot of different answers to this question. I personally do not take my original passport book because I think the chances that the passport book will be damaged or stolen is far greater than my chances of being late to the ship (I have taken 22 cruises). I used to take a copy of the passport book with me. Now I have both the passport book and the passport card, so I take the passport card with me. In many places those over sixteen also need government issued ID (such as a driver's license, passport ...), so I take my driver's license with me.

I also take some cash, a couple of credit cards and my camera.

Passport or no passport it's really your call. We only take them on excursions where time may be an issue or where we know that if anything happens unexpectedly we'll NEED our passport due to lack of an embassy close by. Otherwise we take copies.

Other things you may need off the ship:

Ship Pass, Photo ID, Credit Card, Cash, Sunblock, Towels, Drinking Water, Bug spray (especially in Belize with the mosquitoes and biting flies).

No reason to take your Passport which will do fine locked securely in your cabin safe. You will need your cruise card, some kind of picture ID (we often take our drivers license or an expired drivers license) and some cash. Many also like to take a major credit card. That is all you really need....but there are folks who take lots of other things. It is best to leave valuables locked in your cabin safe and we like to take our Sea Caddy which is a waterproof fanny pack where we can keep our money and ID when we are in the water. As a general rule its never safe to leave valuables on a beach unless you have someone in your party who stays with the valuables.

Hank

We are taking the Carnival Glory Western itinerary this month. All of us have passports (DH, DS 9, DS 7, DD 4).

Questions- when leaving ship and going on excursions what do you take with you? I know you take your ship card (sea and sail) but do you take your original passport, just copies of passport? your license (and if so what about the kids?)

Asking because we are doing cave tubing in Belize and I don't want to leave original passports in excursion van and we can't really take them on river with fear of getting wet.

So what is REALLY needed to get on and off the boat in these places:

Cozumel

Belize

Roatan

Grand Cayman

What do you do?

progress.gif

We've taken a Western on Glory and LOVED all of the ports of call!

All of you need to take your cruise cards. Since the children are under 16, you and your DH need to take a photo ID (driver's license or copy of your passport).

You'll want some cash so you'll probably want to have a "water wallet". We have two -- half in mine and half in his.

Also take some beach towels (provided by the ship) and some sun screen.

Have a WONDERFUL cruise!

LuLu

~~~~~

I don't know if it's just a different attitude between the USA and Britain, but I went on a long cruise calling at 31 ports, and there were only two or three where any form of picture ID was required. Aruba was one, Cozumel (I'm fairly sure) wasn't. Carrying a photocopy of a passport does no harm, and if something goes wrong can do quite a bit of good, but I don't think it's actually required.

I don't know if it's just a different attitude between the USA and Britain, but I went on a long cruise calling at 31 ports, and there were only two or three where any form of picture ID was required. Aruba was one, Cozumel (I'm fairly sure) wasn't. Carrying a photocopy of a passport does no harm, and if something goes wrong can do quite a bit of good, but I don't think it's actually required.

Agree .... We've seldom been ask for a picture ID in the Caribbean but we carry one ( copy of our passport) because they tell us to.

On our last 20 day cruise with lots of port stops we were never ask to show it.

One place in the Caribbean we've found they frequently as for it is St. Maarten.

For some strange reason we've been ask for it prior to boarding a tender in Grand Cayman.

Whatever .... Just have it with you in case they ask you to show it.

LuLu

~~~~

Archived