Transatlantic Opinions

Tampa Jim

We have only cruised on the Silhouette (S-Class). Currently, we are considering a TA in the fall. After taking on first Celebrity cruise, we are sold ... no smoking, outstanding service, sanitation standards, etc.

The itinerary we like the best is the "Three Continents" offering on the Connie. Since it is the M-Class, what would you consider to be the "pros and cons" of that class of vessel over a S-Class ship for a TA this year?

Thanks!!!

We have only cruised on the Silhouette (S-Class). Currently, we are considering a TA in the fall. After taking on first Celebrity cruise, we are sold ... no smoking, outstanding service, sanitation standards, etc.

The itinerary we like the best is the "Three Continents" offering on the Connie. Since it is the M-Class, what would you consider to be the "pros and cons" of that class of vessel over a S-Class ship for a TA this year?

Thanks!!!

We are the Equinox this fall and looking at that cruise for 2014

My understand both classes of ship are very good

The Connie is not quite as big or fancy as the S-class (especially the cabins--no granite, shower curtains instead of doors, etc.) but it has one big advantage--the t-pool! And it's plenty big enough to have lots of activities to keep you busy during all those sea days if you would like. It will also be having its sprucing-up before your TA, so not sure what might be added/changed during that process other that adding Aqua Class/Blu.

I had a great time on the Connie TA last fall. I'm going the other direction on the Eclipse this spring and then I'd be able to give you a true comparison of the two classes on a TA from my point of view. :)

Thanks!!!

The typical cabin size on a M class ship is 170 sq ft vs the S class at 194 sq ft The showers are larger on a S class with convex plexiglass doors .The M class showers have a curtain & are a bit smaller even in concierge .You would need to upgrade to Concierge on a M class ship to get 191 sq ft & better ship location for a balcony cabin .

The showrooms on a S class ship are set up for flying people over head like a cirque show :D.That is not possible on a M class ship .

Over all the S class ships are outstanding because they are light & airy with more options for entertainment :Dvs the older M class ships

We have found the food & service to be about the same on both classes:)

Considering the same cruise. My only concern is weather and seas that time of year in the North Atlantc. I've done 7 TAs, including the Connie and she rides quite well and I wouldn't hesitate to take her again.

The primary driver is probably the ports of call but as you realize, the ships are different.

We used to love the Connie...it was our favorite ship. But recently we've been cruising on the S class ships...both Equinox and Eclipse both on TA's as well as other cruises. We've also sailed recently on the solsticized Millenium....so we've covered the bases, so to speak.

Our preference is the solstice ships...wider choice of dining venues, we book aqua class to eat in Blu. The Millenium now has aqua and Blu, but it is not up to the dining on the solstice ships partially due to kitchen location. We did the Millenium for it's ports (asia), not the ship. Both the equinox and eclipse (as well as the Solstice) offer hot glass shows where artists make significant pieces of blown glass with a full studio (including furnaces) on board....I try not to miss a show. The cabins on the constellation have better storage space than the new ships...unless you are tall enough to reach the main storage which is over the bed. We live with that inconvenience.

I'm not sure when the constellation is getting aqua class and Blu, but for now, we would not book it. We just have an aversion to the noise and bustle of the main dining room.

I think you'll have a great cruise on any Celebrity ship....but as your first cruise, I'd suggest booking one of the solstice class ships to get the "best of celebrity" and I'd suggest the solstice/equinox/eclipse due to the hot glass shows....but that's me.

We considered Connie AQ class TA for November of this year from Rome, but chose Equinox's TA from Barcelona instead. Figured we would enjoy a bigger ship for TA with more spec. restaurants, although dining in Blu is great. Re: Connie,AQ class cabins being added to M Class ships do have real shower doors (Yea!) agree that real T pool is nice on M class. One issue is that to have a guaranteed (almost anyway, nothing is for certain) quiet cabin in AQ class on M class ships you have to go way up to Deck 11 in newly constructed area of the ship. We did it on Summit for Bermuda cruise, but not sure I would want to be there on a TA in terms of motion/weather issues. On S class we like AQ cabins toward rear of ship on Deck 11 with numbers in the "1600's". Deck 11 is not that high on bigger S class ships.

Possibly a small difference, unless you had the bad fortune to be stranded on one of the recent cruises with generator/electrical problems is that the S class have their diesel generators separated into two rooms, with redundant power bus to remove the power generation from a single point of failure. Only important if you have an engine room problem.

Thanks!!!

This is is off the point of your discussion but what is the Three Continents cruise? It sounds interesting.

Thanks!!!

this is off of the point of your discussion but what is the Three Continents cruise? it sounds interesting.

The primary driver is probably the ports of call but as you realize, the ships are different.

We used to love the Connie...it was our favorite ship. But recently we've been cruising on the S class ships...both Equinox and Eclipse both on TA's as well as other cruises. We've also sailed recently on the solsticized Millenium....so we've covered the bases, so to speak.

Our preference is the solstice ships...wider choice of dining venues, we book aqua class to eat in Blu. The Millenium now has aqua and Blu, but it is not up to the dining on the solstice ships partially due to kitchen location. We did the Millenium for it's ports (asia), not the ship. Both the equinox and eclipse (as well as the Solstice) offer hot glass shows where artists make significant pieces of blown glass with a full studio (including furnaces) on board....I try not to miss a show. The cabins on the constellation have better storage space than the new ships...unless you are tall enough to reach the main storage which is over the bed. We live with that inconvenience.

I'm not sure when the constellation is getting aqua class and Blu, but for now, we would not book it. We just have an aversion to the noise and bustle of the main dining room.

I think you'll have a great cruise on any Celebrity ship....but as your first cruise, I'd suggest booking one of the solstice class ships to get the "best of celebrity" and I'd suggest the solstice/equinox/eclipse due to the hot glass shows....but that's me.

Amen!!!! For a trans-atlantic cruise, an S class is perfect. We have done two on the s- class ships and loved them because of restaurant variety, space in common areas, etc. We love the Connie for local cruising, but many days at sea would be best on a large S class ship.

I'm about to sail on my second TA. . I've been on both S and M class ships twice. I won't sail on an M ship unless there was no other way of visiting a particular itinerary. I don't like the staterooms as much, the layout/ system at the lunch buffet, or having one less specialty restaurant. I also generally don't like " older " ships.

This cruise is the same as most trans atlantic's except for the addition of a day in Morocco. If seeing that port is worth sailing on an M class ( which some still prefer ), go for it.

Archived