Anything Montreal

sebas030

We will be spending a few days prior to our cruise in Montreal, this May. I thought the afternoon we arrive we might just head over to the Underground Mall and look around and find a good spot for dinner.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites and it looks like it is very close.

Where would we actually enter the mall... what street? I did not find that info available -- I KNOW we can ask at our hotel -- I just like to have a heads up for my planning 'disorder' :rolleyes:

Also -- any recs for a place to eat -- mid priced or inexpensive that first night? Thought there might be a place in the mall - if not - somewhere within walking distance of E Suites.

One more question about the mall -- I know it is apparently huge -- is there transportation under ground there or is it only walkable?

I lied -- one more question :D --- I'd like to see the display of the church -- saw a photo of it -- that was sinking and the apparent reason the mall was first built?

THANK YOU!

Here is a complement to the info given by p_mori7 and martincath.

You can take a 15 minutes walk from your hotel to the entry of Promenades de la Cathédrale (shopping center of the " underground city" ). It is situated under the Christ Church Cathedral.

Here is a link with more details and a map.

http://promenadescathedrale.com/access-area-parking-public-transport

If you want to go underground all the way, the Place d'Armes métro (subway) station is situated a 4 minutes walk from,your hotel. You can board the subway there. However,you will need to change train at the Berri UQAM station to switch from the orange line to the green line. Then, I would get off at the McGill station, in the heart of the "underground city".

Here is a métro map

http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/metro

Can any of you comment on the amount of snowfall you've received to date? Have you been affected by the snowstorms that the Maritimes and Eastern US have received? I've read of snowmelt and rain affecting early cruises to Montreal in that the water level of the St. Lawrence can be high. High water levels may mean that pax have to be bussed from Quebec City to Montreal because the ship(s) can't fit under the bridge west of Quebec City.

Thank you!

High water levels may mean that pax have to be bussed from Quebec City to Montreal because the ship(s) can't fit under the bridge west of Quebec City.

Thank you!

I hope you are wrong :eek:

we sail from Montreal mid May

Will the snowmelt have an impact for cruising in May and June. ...from Boston to Montreal on the Maasdam? How about the Gulf of St Lawrence and sailing under the bridge. This will be my first time visiting the area. We've sure seen a lot of Boston in the news lately. I know it will take time to dig out and clean up after all this snow.

Too bad we can't redirect the snow to Alaska where we can bask in the beauty of snow covered mountains!

Actually, this is a very good question and the answer is the snow melt well could impact the earlyin the season Boston to Montreal to Boston cruises.

Just a few years ago, we had a lot of snow followed by a rainy spring and the water level in the St. Lawrence rose so high, Maasdam could not fit under the bridge to sail from Quebec City to Montreal. She had to stop at Quebec City and overnight there for about 2 or 3 cruises until the water level dropped enough the ship could safely sail under. :) While it was an inconvenience and guests embarking/disembarking had to be bussed to Montreal/Quebec City, there certainly are worse places to have the ship overnight than Quebec City. We were on the first cruise from Boston to Montreal after that happened and as much as we love Montreal, we would have been delighted to overnight in QC. :)

These are the posts that got me to asking the question. Sail7Seas is a longtime poster on the HAL board, and has sailed Boston to Montreal many times. We're staying a few days in Montreal post cruise so won't be impacted like those who have booked flights on disembarkation day may.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

We have recieved slightly less snow than normal so far this year in Montreal.

Quebec City and farther east are at normal levels or slightly higher.

Unless we really get dumped on in March (always a possibility) you should be OK to sail all the way into Montreal.

:)

We have recieved slightly less snow than normal so far this year in Montreal.

Quebec City and farther east are at normal levels or slightly higher.

Unless we really get dumped on in March (always a possibility) you should be OK to sail all the way into Montreal.

:)

Thanks, p_mori! What about April, does Montreal typically get snow in April? Or is it raining there then? We get our most snow in March and April and often a special dump in May!! And June is our rainy month.

I'll try to pay attention to what's happening, weatherwise, in your neck of the woods until May.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Thanks, p_mori! What about April, does Montreal typically get snow in April? Or is it raining there then? We get our most snow in March and April and often a special dump in May!! And June is our rainy month.

I'll try to pay attention to what's happening, weatherwise, in your neck of the woods until May.

Anything is possible ;)

We had snow in June here in Ontario one yr ..not a good day for a motorbike ride :D

It's always possible...I remember many years back on 31 March the weatherman calling for 14" on 01 April...woke up the next morning to 16 wet / heavy inches...

Usually, if we get anything in April, especially the latter half; it melts off pretty quick.

It's always possible...I remember many years back on 31 March the weatherman calling for 14" on 01 April...woke up the next morning to 16 wet / heavy inches...

Usually, if we get anything in April, especially the latter half; it melts off pretty quick.

Thanks, p_mori! That's quite reassuring!

Can we get USD exchanged for CAD in Chicago or wait until Montreal airport?

Never exchange funds at an airport - any airport. Rule of thumb is the further from the airport the better the rate.

Look into your local bank rate if you feel the need to have some $CAN on you before you arrive, or simply take local currency out of an ATM on arrival (your bank card should display various symbols as to which international networks they're signed up with, e.g. Cirrus/Mastercard, Visa/Plus) which usually gives the best rates unless your card has heavy foreign transaction fees.

Can we get USD exchanged for CAD in Chicago or wait until Montreal airport?

Yes. There are currency exchange kiosks at the Chicago airport, and in the arrivals area of the Montreal airport.

I know this has probably been beaten to death many times, but I cannot find it doing a search. Our best airfare for a open jaw flight from my home airport, to Boston, then home from Montreal is running well over $800. However, I can get R/T air to Boston for $500. There are 6 of us traveling, which means a $3,000 savings if we can make it work. What are your thoughts of disembarking our cruise in Montreal, renting a minivan and driving back to Boston, doing an overnight, then flying home the next morning?

I know this has probably been beaten to death many times, but I cannot find it doing a search. Our best airfare for a open jaw flight from my home airport, to Boston, then home from Montreal is running well over $800. However, I can get R/T air to Boston for $500. There are 6 of us traveling, which means a $3,000 savings if we can make it work. What are your thoughts of disembarking our cruise in Montreal, renting a minivan and driving back to Boston, doing an overnight, then flying home the next morning?

Have you checked the cost of a one way cross border rental with the car agency ?

You could take the train to NYC & fly from there if the price works

Edited by LHT28

Have you checked the cost of a one way cross border rental with the car agency ?

You could take the train to NYC & fly from there if the price works

Thanks for your reply. No, I haven't checked rental car prices yet. When you say train, are you referring to Amtrak?

Thanks for your reply. No, I haven't checked rental car prices yet. When you say train, are you referring to Amtrak?

yes

Maybe fly out of NYC

It is just a thought

I am seeing air from FSM > BOS then YUL to FSM for about $630 PP mind you you will have a long day & connection in ATL or DFW

yes

Maybe fly out of NYC

It is just a thought

I am seeing air from FSM > BOS then YUL to FSM for about $630 PP mind you you will have a long day & connection in ATL or DFW

I'm not seeing anything like that on the websites I'm looking at. Would you please share where you're seeing those prices?

I looked at Amtrak from Montreal to NYC, and it's showing approx. $85 per person and a 10 hour train ride.

I'm not seeing anything like that on the websites I'm looking at. Would you please share where you're seeing those prices?

I looked at Amtrak from Montreal to NYC, and it's showing approx. $85 per person and a 10 hour train ride.

Delta & AA have flights but it means getting in late

prime time is more expensive

You may have to book less people to get the cheaper seats

EG do 2 bookings

June 19 DL 4919/2300

Jul 3 DL 5207/4980

$603 USD

Play around on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Then check the airline's website

If you can get a cheap flight from Boston to Arkansas, renting a van is a good option. Many families do so to save money. Here is a good thread from last year with additional info and quote example:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058744&highlight=car+rental+boston

• Like 1

Delta & AA have flights but it means getting in late

prime time is more expensive

You may have to book less people to get the cheaper seats

EG do 2 bookings

June 19 DL 4919/2300

Jul 3 DL 5207/4980

$603 USD

Play around on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Then check the airline's website

I was unaware of this site. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thank you so much, you 3, for your responses!!! Please forgive my rudeness :o for not being back on the thread to read the answers. (I thought I had it set to email me the responses....sigh)

Yes, Martincath is correct about the 'sinking church' -- I really wanted to see that area in the Underground -- the photo looked so interesting.....we can probably get more info on the links or at our hotel -- I'll check out the links and definitely the Le Gros Jambon for lunch!

Really appreciate the map links, Jolie_Cruiser -- I'll spend some time on those sites as well.

We will have friends coming in for the cruise all during the 3 days we are there - -hoping to find a cute bar for everyone (about 22, I think) to meet up Friday night before the cruise -- somewhere in Old Montreal.

Thanks again so very much for your time to make these helpful suggestions -- and thanks for all you've contributed, p_mori7 -- invaluable info!!!!

BTW, martincath, I see you are from Vancouver -- we took a RT Volendam 2 years and fell in love with Vancouver -- spent several days both times there -- it is so very clean!! Lovely.

p_mori7:

Suggest you check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/underground_city,_montreal.

You can use the subway to get around.

One block west from hotel there is steak & frites St-Paul. Should fit the bill for your restaurant.

Not sure what you are referring to by sinking church?

Possibly referring to the Christ Church Cathedral, the tower of which was sinking on the south side by a century ago. While there is now part of the RESO under it, that came many decades after the sinking problem was addressed by replacing the tower with an aluminum replacement - the sinking tower has nothing to do with construction of the RESO.

Food-wise, I don't believe they open for dinner but a fabulous breakfast & lunch spot is just around the back of your hotel - Le Gros Jambon diner. Quirky decor, very 50s Americana, but fantastic food and nice folks. They're closed right now for renos, but the facebook page I linked should let you know when they're open again, hopefully in time for your May cruise.

Here is a complement to the info given by p_mori7 and martincath.

You can take a 15 minutes walk from your hotel to the entry of Promenades de la Cathédrale (shopping center of the " underground city" ). It is situated under the Christ Church Cathedral.

Here is a link with more details and a map.

http://promenadescathedrale.com/access-area-parking-public-transport

If you want to go underground all the way, the Place d'Armes métro (subway) station is situated a 4 minutes walk from,your hotel. You can board the subway there. However,you will need to change train at the Berri UQAM station to switch from the orange line to the green line. Then, I would get off at the McGill station, in the heart of the "underground city".

Here is a métro map

http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/metro

• 3 weeks later...