Anything Montreal

sebas030

Thanks Dave for you explanation

Yes Quebec is a Foreign country but you would think with all the tourists they get each year the taxi drivers would need at least some command of the English language ;)

I do not plan on going to the port until later in the day so hopefully by then the Officials have cleared the disembarking passengers

DH said after seeing the distance to the port we will just walk there

Lyn

Actually...

Quebec is a PROVINCE in CANADA. Same as a STATE in the USA.

Our main language is French. Many cabbies do speak English. Some do not. ALL of them can understand an address WRITTEN DOWN on a piece of paper if you are worried about getting a non English speaker. You can also ASK the cabbie if he speaks English before getting in the car, or ask the hotel doorman to get you an English speaking cabbie, or ask the dispatch to send you a car with an English speaker.

Ever try taking a cab in Barcelona ? Or Rome ? or Paris ? Do they speak English ? That's never stopped me from taking a cab...

Edited by p_mori7

When everyone here is finished trashing the "rudeness" of Montrealers, please remember that this thread was started by Sebastien (Sebas030) to help CC people with his favorite city. I'm from the New York area, so I'm familiar with rude New York cabbies who don't really speak English, and who talk on hand held cell phones, in Russian, Farsi, or other foreign languages, during the entire cab ride.

You can encounter rude people in any city; but not every city has nice CC posters who offer real help to people who don't know their city. Thank you Sebastien, and other Montrealers, for supplying information on Montreal.

Wow. Thanks for the head's up on the rudeness. I know DM has experienced it in the past but I had hoped that it would be better by now. We encountered none of that in Quebec City, when we were there, so I had hopes for Montreal. But if even a French speaking Canadian encounters it, that speaks volumes.

Rude people can be found in every city.

Just because one person "reported" rudeness does not mean everybody needs to worry about it happenning to them.

Sometimes, people complain about being treated rudely...but...they are only reaping what they've sown...I've seen many people get aggravated with a shopkeeper or waiter trying thier best to accomodate a visitor in English...only to have the tourist belittle or get aggravated (even insulting) because the shopkeeper's or waiter's English was not to thier liking...then they wonder why they don't get good service...

Edited by p_mori7

Is this a serious question ?

Yes, actually it was. I'm not familiar with Montreal and don't know if the cemetery is in a good or bad part of town. if you were to advise that we shouldn't leave all of our belongings in the trunk of the car while away from it for an hour or so, then I would plan our stay around that, and take transit while our stuff is at the hotel.

Rude people can be found in every city.

Just because one person "reported" rudeness does not mean everybody needs to worry about it happenning to them.

Sometimes, people complain about being treated rudely...but...they are only reaping what they've sown...I've seen many people get aggravated with a shopkeeper or waiter trying thier best to accomodate a visitor in English...only to have the tourist belittle or get aggravated (even insulting) because the shopkeeper's or waiter's English was not to thier liking...then they wonder why they don't get good service...

You are quite correct. My apologies if you were offended by my comments.

When everyone here is finished trashing the "rudeness" of Montrealers, please remember that this thread was started by Sebastien (Sebas030) to help CC people with his favorite city. I'm from the New York area, so I'm familiar with rude New York cabbies who don't really speak English, and who talk on hand held cell phones, in Russian, Farsi, or other foreign languages, during the entire cab ride.

You can encounter rude people in any city; but not every city has nice CC posters who offer real help to people who don't know their city. Thank you Sebastien, and other Montrealers, for supplying information on Montreal.

Just wanted to point out to you that it has been p_mori7 who has been answering the bulk of the questions on this particular thread. The person who started the thread has posted only a couple of times to it and there was quite a lag between his first and second post IIRC.

Yes, actually it was. I'm not familiar with Montreal and don't know if the cemetery is in a good or bad part of town. if you were to advise that we shouldn't leave all of our belongings in the trunk of the car while away from it for an hour or so, then I would plan our stay around that, and take transit while our stuff is at the hotel.

I think some locals tend to forget people may have never been to their city before & do not know where to avoid like they would do

Or have not been to the area they are advising people about

It has been a long time since I have been to some areas in Toronto so I would not be confident in advising people what the area is like now compared to when I was living there

Sometimes it is best to not to comment ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

OK...don't even worry about the stuff in the trunk...it will be fine.

:)

Corner of St-Sulpice & Notre-Dame Ouest as shown on the map I posted previously.

saq1.jpg

Funny - the picture you posted is the place we had dinner at and we sat right in the window to the right (great for people watching, as the street gets alot of tourists - the guided groups were the best to watch). Great food and service.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

Funny - the picture you posted is the place we had dinner at and we sat right in the window to the right (great for people watching, as the street gets alot of tourists - the guided groups were the best to watch). Great food and service.

DaveOKC

That is the liquor store by the Notre Dame Basilica

What type of food did you have ??

That is the liquor store by the Notre Dame Basilica

What type of food did you have ??

My mistake - I was sure it was the restaurant on the corner from Springhill Suites! Maybe I spent too much time in the liquor store!

Edited by DaveOKC

My mistake - I was sure it was the restaurant on the corner from Springhill Suites! Maybe I spent too much time in the liquor store!

LOL

I am sure there are lots of buildings in Montreal that look very much alike

I know you mentioned the restaurant before but what type of food did they have? ...I will keep an eye out for it

I see there is a Creperie near the hotel YUMMM

Lyn

LOL

I am sure there are lots of buildings in Montreal that look very much alike

I know you mentioned the restaurant before but what type of food did they have? ...I will keep an eye out for it

I see there is a Creperie near the hotel YUMMM

Lyn

Mostly beef.

Thank you for writing this. I was gone for a while on a T/A cruise away from internet. There are no words to say how offended I was when I saw some of these "trashing" comments about my city. This, after taking time to answer to the best of my knowledge questions on this thread and other thread about Québec and even the Maritimes.

Actually...

Quebec is a PROVINCE in CANADA. Same as a STATE in the USA.

Our main language is French. Many cabbies do speak English. Some do not. ALL of them can understand an address WRITTEN DOWN on a piece of paper if you are worried about getting a non English speaker. You can also ASK the cabbie if he speaks English before getting in the car, or ask the hotel doorman to get you an English speaking cabbie, or ask the dispatch to send you a car with an English speaker.

Ever try taking a cab in Barcelona ? Or Rome ? or Paris ? Do they speak English ? That's never stopped me from taking a cab...

Très bon commentaire = very good comment