Anything Montreal

sebas030

The snow is all gone now. :)

I've never taken the bus to get to the cemetary.

It is not too far from old Montreal. Google Maps has a feature called "DIRECTIONS". If you enter the two different coordinates, and then click on the "BUS" icon, it shows you your options to get there and expected duration of the trip.

It lools like it can be done on two busses (#55 and #11), and the transit time is about 40 minutes.

bus.jpg

Thank you, p_mori! Do you think our belongings will be safe, in the trunk, of the rental car? Any major thefts during the day at the cemetery?

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Another question - is it easy to walk from Alexandra Quay to the SpringHill Suites? Google Maps says it's 10 minutes; is it a flat walk that willl be easy to do with rolling luggage? Could there be issues in getting a cab for such a short distance? One of us is elderly but a good walker on flat routes as long as hips/knees aren't bothering her that day.

Another question - is it easy to walk from Alexandra Quay to the SpringHill Suites? Google Maps says it's 10 minutes; is it a flat walk that willl be easy to do with rolling luggage? Could there be issues in getting a cab for such a short distance? One of us is elderly but a good walker on flat routes as long as hips/knees aren't bothering her that day.

Tough call. The distance is fairly short (a bit more than 10 minutes as I recall) and the area has alot of cobblestone roads, which make it hard to walk on. Also, it may be hard to catch a taxi at the pier, as it is not a normal pickup spot for them (hopefully others can comment on this).

Without the walking issue, I would definitely walk it (I wish I had when we did the Springhill to ship route).

Also, it may be hard to catch a taxi at the pier, as it is not a normal pickup spot for them (hopefully others can comment on this).

Are you saying they do not have a taxi line at the port ??

Seems odd

Are you saying they do not have a taxi line at the port ??

Seems odd

I sure they do, but I wonder how many taxis there will be, as last time I departed from there the taxi drivers had a hard time finding the pier to drop us off, and others reported the same.

I guess when folks get dropped off there will be plenty of taxi's, but not sure how early this will occur.

Hope someone more knowledgeable than I about Montreal will update us on this.

Tough call. The distance is fairly short (a bit more than 10 minutes as I recall) and the area has alot of cobblestone roads, which make it hard to walk on. Also, it may be hard to catch a taxi at the pier, as it is not a normal pickup spot for them (hopefully others can comment on this).

Without the walking issue, I would definitely walk it (I wish I had when we did the Springhill to ship route).

About 800 yards 650 flat, the last 150 up hill. No cobblestones.

2107884385_ScreenShot2015-04-18at5_04_42PM.jpg.fb32fc60f9204a941b6771dc39592875.jpg

Edited by Earl Rosebery

About 800 yards 650 flat, the last 150 up hill. No cobblestones.

Is it uphill from the pier to Springhill Suites or from the hotel to the pier? We, and quite a few others, will be going from the Springhill Suites Hotel to the pier on May 18. 150 yards downhill, than 650 yards flat, is obviously easier than 650 yards flat than 150 uphill.

Is it uphill from the pier to Springhill Suites or from the hotel to the pier? We, and quite a few others, will be going from the Springhill Suites Hotel to the pier on May 18. 150 yards downhill, than 650 yards flat, is obviously easier than 650 yards flat than 150 uphill.

Ok - I am sure of this one - it is downhill from Springhill Suites for the first 150 yards to the pier.

I sure they do, but I wonder how many taxis there will be, as last time I departed from there the taxi drivers had a hard time finding the pier to drop us off, and others reported the same.

HMMMM I wonder if I should print of the instructions on how to get to the port for the taxi driver :eek:

I may not fancy dragging my luggage from the hotel even if it is downhill

Lyn

HMMMM I wonder if I should print of the instructions on how to get to the port for the taxi driver :eek:

Lyn

How difficult can it be? Corner Rue de la Commune and Rue de Calliere. This is the view looking south east toward the river.

84137176_ScreenShot2015-04-18at8_54_47PM.jpg.3f039f697164abf8fd0e727a338387c9.jpg

How difficult can it be? Corner Rue de la Commune and Rue de Calliere. This is the view looking south east toward the river.

That is what I am wondering why the taxis cannot find it ??

That is what I am wondering why the taxis cannot find it ??

Our taxi driver (from the Springhill Suites by the way) was not sure which pier. After asking directions from a confused guard, we got into the restricted pier area. However, we drove all around the area looking for the drop off point for the Maasdam. We finally had the driver pull over and we got out in the middle of nothing and drug our luggage into a large building where we saw people coming out of. After a couple minutes of walking around, we found the luggage drop off area. Quite a mess.

In talking to others onboard, we heard similar stories about the taxis not knowing where to go. Adding to this, some taxi drivers do not seem to understand English very well, so it was a bit hard to communicate.

This was not the end of the embarkation mess however. Customs/Immigration was extremely slow in processing disembarking passengers and with the new passengers coming in to embark, the place got quite crowded (few chairs to sit in as well). We were at least an hour (maybe 90 minutes) late in boarding and everyone was quite upset.

I hope this clears up my prior comments. If I had to do it over again, I would walk to the pier - less hassle and not all that far.

Thanks Dave for you explanation

Yes Quebec is a Foreign country but you would think with all the tourists they get each year the taxi drivers would need at least some command of the English language ;)

I do not plan on going to the port until later in the day so hopefully by then the Officials have cleared the disembarking passengers

DH said after seeing the distance to the port we will just walk there

Lyn

Thanks Dave for you explanation

Yes Quebec is a Foreign country but you would think with all the tourists they get each year the taxi drivers would need at least some command of the English language ;)

I do not plan on going to the port until later in the day so hopefully by then the Officials have cleared the disembarking passengers

DH said after seeing the distance to the port we will just walk there

Lyn

In Montreal taxi drivers are the only category of people I assume will not speak better English than I do French; I've yet to exchange more than a dozen words of English with one.

When you consider the demographics of stereotypical cabbies (many immigrants) and combine it with Quebec's immigration requirements (i.e. French much higher priority than English) it shouldn't be a surprise that many local cabbies are relatively recent imports from old French colonial areas.

Those who have neither fluent French nor English on arrival - put yourself in their shoes. Would you attempt to simultaneously learn two languages, or try to get good at the most useful one fast?

I actually look forward to cab rides because it's the one time I reliably get to chat with someone in my rusty schoolboy French without them immediately switching to English - helps me practise!

I actually look forward to cab rides because it's the one time I reliably get to chat with someone in my rusty schoolboy French without them immediately switching to English - helps me practise!

The point being if you choose to speak in French or English they should know where the PORT is in Montreal especially from the Springhill Suites hotel :rolleyes:

The point being if you choose to speak in French or English they should know where the PORT is in Montreal especially from the Springhill Suites hotel :rolleyes:

You would think so, but it did not work well for us or others on our cruise.

Montreal is a different place. We stayed in Old Montreal and had no issues with local merchants (except for the taxi driver). Friends of ours (very nice, friendly people) stayed in the business district and reported being treated rudely.

My son-in-law's father told me to before we left for Montreal to be prepared for this, as he hates to go there as he experiences negative treatment when there, and he is a native French speaking Canadian (but not from Montreal)!

You would think so, but it did not work well for us or others on our cruise.

Montreal is a different place. We stayed in Old Montreal and had no issues with local merchants (except for the taxi driver). Friends of ours (very nice, friendly people) stayed in the business district and reported being treated rudely.

Exactly

I try to avoid Montreal but unfortunately the cruise we wanted to do leaves from there

Lyn

Wow. Thanks for the head's up on the rudeness. I know DM has experienced it in the past but I had hoped that it would be better by now. We encountered none of that in Quebec City, when we were there, so I had hopes for Montreal. But if even a French speaking Canadian encounters it, that speaks volumes.

Are there wine shops near either the cruise port or the Springhill Suites Hotel in Old Montreal? I've been on the SAQ web site; but there are 82 branches in Montreal. Can you help us pin down the closest ones? Also, are the stores open even on holiday weekends (May 16-18)?

Thanks.

There is an SAQ 2 blocks (small ones) from the hotel, also very close to the cruise terminal.

SAQ.jpg

Edited by p_mori7

Lyn

Not Needed.

Just tell him the cruise terminal at ALEXANDRIA QUAY.