Anything Montreal

sebas030

Thank you for writing this. I was gone for a while on a T/A cruise away from internet. There are no words to say how offended I was when I saw some of these "trashing" comments about my city. This, after taking time to answer to the best of my knowledge questions on this thread and other thread about Québec and even the Maritimes.

de rien. Ce n'est rien.

Montreal is a beautiful city & many historic sites

I do not see anyone "trashing the city"

Some comments mine included discussing the Taxi drivers & their inability to find the PORT area

since Montreal tourism site reports

Every year, the Port of Montreal welcomes thousands of cruise ship passengers to its Iberville Passenger Terminal,

enough said :rolleyes:

Montreal is a beautiful city & many historic sites

I do not see anyone "trashing the city"

Some comments mine included discussing the Taxi drivers & their inability to find the PORT area

since Montreal tourism site reports

Every year, the Port of Montreal welcomes thousands of cruise ship passengers to its Iberville Passenger Terminal,

enough said :rolleyes:

Exactly

I try to avoid Montreal but unfortunately the cruise we wanted to do leaves from there

Lyn

Really, what do you call this, "complimenting" ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just reporting in for those that decide to walk to the port

We walked from Springhill Suites with rolling bags ..it was not that far & easy to get there by foot

The weather was hot that day but we made it no problem

Lyn

Just reporting in for those that decide to walk to the port

We walked from Springhill Suites with rolling bags ..it was not that far & easy to get there by foot

The weather was hot that day but we made it no problem

Lyn

Hope you enjoyed your visit this time to our beautiful city.

Hope you enjoyed your visit this time to our beautiful city.

Yes we had a short time but we walked around the area near the hotel ;)

Unfortunately for me it was 30+C ...I do not do well in the heat

May I get transportation help here? We plan on taking the bus 747 from Trudeau airport.

The question is, can we get 3-day passes at the airport if we don't have coins? Can't figure this out from their website. We'll have CAD and credit card.

One pages says coins only for passes too, another credit cards for passes. Confusing.

To get the 3 day pass, you will need to use the automatic dispensing machine situated in the airport. I never used the one at the airport but I guess they are the same everywhere. You can pay with coins, bills (CAD), VISA, MasterCard, Interac. All Canadian credit cards have chips so if your credit card does not have one you might have to pay with your bills.

The coin only policy is only for people buying the 10 dollars ticket directly on the bus. They have to use coins.

Hope this helps.

Purchasing transit fares at the airport:

Points of sale

Fare vending machines in the international arrivals area. Payment in cash, by debit card or with VISA or MasterCard credit cards accepted.

Products sold

• 1-day pass
  • 3-day pass
  • Unlimited Weekend (valid between 6 p.m. on Friday and 5 a.m. on Monday)
  • Weekly pass (valid from Monday to Sunday),
  • Monthly pass

For more information, you may inquire at the STM information counter located in the international arrival area or ask one of the STM representatives near the bus stop outside the airport

Has anyone used the cloakroom at the Trudeau for storing personal items i.e. carry-on luggage, etc.?

Yes, we used the cloakroom at Trudeau about 3 years ago while we were enroute to Europe. We had a 23 hour layover in Montreal. We planned it that way, as it's my DH's hometown & his family still lives there. We left all of our large, checked-luggage in the cloakroom, and brought only our carry-ons with us for our overnight at my MIL's home.

It worked perfectly for us! We simply retrieved our bags before our flight & brought them to the Air Canada counter for check-in. Could not have been more convenient!

Yes, we used the cloakroom at Trudeau about 3 years ago while we were enroute to Europe. We had a 23 hour layover in Montreal. We planned it that way, as it's my DH's hometown & his family still lives there. We left all of our large, checked-luggage in the cloakroom, and brought only our carry-ons with us for our overnight at my MIL's home.

It worked perfectly for us! We simply retrieved our bags before our flight & brought them to the Air Canada counter for check-in. Could not have been more convenient!

I certainly appreciate the response. We have some dear friends that we will be spending the day with in Montreal and a early evening flight home. We will check in for our flight and need the cloakroom for our carry-on bags.

Did you feel like the cloakroom was secure and that your items were well protected?

• 2 weeks later...

Not taking a cruise, but will be visiting Montreal and Quebec City in August. I have looked through the replies in this thread (quickly) and have made notes of different places to visit, and I am grateful for the time CC'ers have taken to provide such detailed and helpful information.

I am wondering if anyone has specific suggestions on what might be fun for a family when visiting Montreal. We have season passes to our local Six Flags so we will visit Le Ronde one day and use our passes. We are a family of five--me, DH, DD11, DS9 and DS7. We are up for anything-will probably have 3 days total in Montreal in mid-August, so I've already noted that perhaps we could also visit the Hot Air Balloon Festival in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu noted way back on the first page of this thread.

Also, any recommendations for best places for families to stay?

Thank you so much.

Montreal has many child-friendly attractions - the Expo 67 Biosphere is now an environmental museum (and it's on the same island as La Ronde so convenient to 'step down' from the excitement of thrill rides before heading home again), the Biodome/Botanic Gardens/Insectarium/Planetarium has 4 great attractions on one site, the Science Centre is well worth a visit too.

The fur trade can be learned about hands-on at Lachine, with canoe rides available on weekends. Granby Zoo also has an aquatic park if your family likes that sort of thing. The Sound & Light show at Notre Dame is popular with all ages; if it's a hot day, how about doing some indoor skating downtown?

On the hotel front, our preferred budget Montreal Hotel, Springhill Suites, has large family rooms for up to 5 people and an excellent location. They offer rates including parking if you're driving too.

MC gave you good suggestions. I have been to the Biodome and Insectarium. I liked both, and I saw children enjoying themselves.

If it gets really hot and muggy while you are in Montreal, there is a small beach close to downtown easily acessible by public transport. Your family can go there for a dip (avoid the week-end, too crowded). Here is the website:

http://www.parcjeandrapeau.com/en/

You will find rebate coupons for this attraction and others in the following link. This site has coupons for other regions of Québec, including Québec city:

http://m.passeportvacances.com/

In the following thread, I recommend the Pointe-à-Callieres Museum, close to the Old Port. I have been there several times, and always enjoyed myself as an adult.... There is a children section on pirates but I can't comment on that.

"Suggestion for Montreal, what to do in the morning before boarding the cruise"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2188803

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

martincath--Thank you for those suggestions. I definitely like the idea of 'stepping down' after our day at Le Ronde. I want to see Notre Dame as well. I'll have to check out the hotel as well.

Jolie_Cruiser-Thank you as well. That rebate site is not one I've seen yet, and it looks like it has some good discounts. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Any good recommendations for the best poutine locations in Montreal, near the W hotel? Thank you

You'll have to walk a bit to get to the nearest places I can actually recommend with certainty, although since its Montreal you'll be hard pushed to find any midrange or cheap bar that *won't* have a passable poutine on the menu.

If you're not going old school and getting liquored up then looking for something to eat in the wee small hours of the morning, you'll probably be seeing the sights and want some poutine at lunch or dinner time - so a few of options near various popular areas for touring include:

Montreal Poutine in the Old Port area (Google seems to think they're closed, but Yelp has reviews from yesterday and last week so it's probably an error)

Frites Alors! in several locations around town (a chain of dedicated poutineries, many options for sauces etc.)

If you're feeling fancy, APDC always has their truly ludicrous Foie Gras poutine available.

And if you do decide to go old school, I suggest doing so close enough to La Banquise to go eat there. They're open 24 hours.