Anything Montreal

sebas030

We are home from our Canada/ New England cruise. We spent 2 nights at the Spring Hill Suites and were very satisfied with the hotel, especially the location. We walked the old town and found everything easily within reach.

We took a taxi to Schwartz's and had a great sandwich and our first poutine. Unfortunately the weather was pretty cold, wet and windy so the horse drawn carriages stayed in the stable. We still enjoyed our visit and had a nice bus ride on the Montreal Express to Quebec.

Thanks for everyone's help in planning our visit.:)

We have to be off the ship by 9.

What places would you recommend at that time of the morning...going on until we need to be at the airport at about 1. Plane leaves at 4.

What service would you recommend to use, i.e. driver and??? We will need that to leave our luggage in the car.

I love Schwartz's and poutine and I love the bagels (forgot the name of the place). Just never had to plan something this early.

A driver and car is really a plus if you can recommend someone good.

Montreal has a brand new US departure terminal.. 2 hrs. is plenty of time.

• 2 months later...

Now that 2015 has arrived, I am sure some people are planning cruises to "La Belle Province" (Québec) and more specifically to Montréal.

This thread has lots of good info, but if you don't see what you're looking for...ASK AWAY !

:)

• Like 1

Do they have a fireworks display for Patriots day in Montreal (May 18th) ??

Typically NO LHT28. At least not in my neck of the woods...

There may be some areas that do...I will do a quick search and get back to you.

Usually, the big foreworks displays are on June 24th, known as "St-Jean Baptiste" day. Some areas (mostly West Island) also have fireworks on July 1st "Canada Day".

Every Summer in Montreal, we also have the International Fireworks Competition...displays are usually every Saturday & Wednesday night at Ile Ste-Helene. They can be seen from Old Montreal...but the best place is from the Jacques-Cartier bridge (slightly East of Old Montreal)...they close the bridge to traffic about 1 hour before the competition so people can walk up and stand on the bridge deck to watch the show...it's so close that depending on the prevailing winds that evening...it can become quite hazy with smoke up there :D.

After doing a quick search...I didn't find anything about fireworks on "Journée des Patriotes"...There are probably some towns that do have them...mostly in the Richelieu River valley I would presume (since that is where there is the most "Patriotes" history).

The Loto-Québec International fireworks competion is usually mid-June thru mid-August.

Edited by p_mori7

After doing a quick search...I didn't find anything about fireworks on "Journée des Patriotes"...There are probably some towns that do have them...mostly in the Richelieu River valley I would presume (since that is where there is the most "Patriotes" history).

The Loto-Québec International fireworks competion is usually mid-June thru mid-August.

Thanks for checking

We have fireworks here for Victoria day so thought maybe they did it for Quebec holiday

Lyn

Not really a Montreal question but we're planning to stay a few days in the Eastern Townships post cruise. Can you recommend a place to stay? We want to see Sherbrooke (Bishop's University) and Knowlton because of family connections to those places. Do you recommend staying in one location for the whole time and doing a day trip to the other? We will have a rental car.

Also, we will be driving from Montreal to the Eastern Townships on Patriot's (Victoria) Day. Is that advisable or should I plan to stay longer in Montreal and then drive on the Tuesday? Our return flights to Alberta have not yet been booked so we can extend the trip by a day or two, assuming I can extend our hotel reservation in Montreal.

Not really a Montreal question but we're planning to stay a few days in the Eastern Townships post cruise. Can you recommend a place to stay? We want to see Sherbrooke (Bishop's University) and Knowlton because of family connections to those places. Do you recommend staying in one location for the whole time and doing a day trip to the other? We will have a rental car.

Also, we will be driving from Montreal to the Eastern Townships on Patriot's (Victoria) Day. Is that advisable or should I plan to stay longer in Montreal and then drive on the Tuesday? Our return flights to Alberta have not yet been booked so we can extend the trip by a day or two, assuming I can extend our hotel reservation in Montreal.

AQ: Driving around on "Journée des Patriotes" is usually not a problem.

Knowlton is only 20-30 minutes away from Sherbrooke. It's an easy drive if you have a rental car.

In Sherbrooke, there is a quite decent Quality Inn & Suites 819-563-4755 and it's not too pricey. Added bonus, there is a very good breakfast/brunch restaurant right next door.

They is also a Delta hotel (pricier), the Sherbrooke convention center is there...can be noisy sometimes. 819-822-1989

There are MANY B&B's in the Eastern Townships...but I've never stayed in any...so cannot recommend any...they are pretty easy to find though...do a google search for "AUBERGE ESTRIE" or "AUBERGE KNOWLTON" or "AUBERGE SHERBROOKE"...then look at the reviews & websites.

Edited by p_mori7

I agree with p_mori7 when he says that driving around on Patriots Day should not be a problem. On the other hand, it is a long weekend (with people heading back to Montreal on Monday from their country houses in the Eastern Townships, visiting family etc). Therefore, traffic might be heavy heading back to Montreal in the evening although this is more of a problem in the summer or in fall (colours). So if you hate traffic like I do, I would consider staying one night in the Townships or heading there on Tuesday.

Here is a governmental tourism link to help you find accommodation:

http://Http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/cantonsest0.html

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there can any one suggest a reasonably price hotel near the Cruise Terminal we are cruising on Oceania's Marina on 18th May and need room for night of 17th

Joy

Some of us are staying at the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal

Lyn

Thanks for the advice, we did try this one a) no rooms b) rather expensive. Any other suggestions grately appreciated.

You could check on Trip advisor for something in your budget

I think most hotels in the area will be pricey

Embassy Suites

208 St-Antoine Ouest (West)

Montreal, QC., H2Y-0A6

514-288-8886

$135/night (pricing may vary...but even at $150 it's a great deal)

Includes free breakfast.

Hilton Honors members get free wifi.

VERY nice rooms.

SHORT cab ride to the Pier.

Walking distance to everything in Old Montreal.

Not too far to downtown Montreal.

METRO (subway) stop just a few hundred feet away.

We will be disembarking HAL Maasdam in Montreal on June 27 this year. We are flying back to the states that same day.

Maasdam docks at 0700. We will self disembark with luggage as early as allowed.

Do you think we would be ok with booking an 11:30 AM flight from YUL?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

We will be disembarking HAL Maasdam in Montreal on June 27 this year. We are flying back to the states that same day.

Maasdam docks at 0700. We will self disembark with luggage as early as allowed.

Do you think we would be ok with booking an 11:30 AM flight from YUL?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

June 27th is a Saturday...so it should be pretty quiet at the airport...I think you will be OK...remember...you will be clearing US Customs in Montreal before boarding the flight...so need to allow extra time for that...figure on being at the airport for 9am...the cab ride from the pier to the airport will be about 30 minutes.

Embassy Suites

208 St-Antoine Ouest (West)

Montreal, QC., H2Y-0A6

514-288-8886

$135/night (pricing may vary...but even at $150 it's a great deal)

Includes free breakfast.

Hilton Honors members get free wifi.

VERY nice rooms.

SHORT cab ride to the Pier.

Walking distance to everything in Old Montreal.

Not too far to downtown Montreal.

METRO (subway) stop just a few hundred feet away.

Thanks for this info. Regards Joy:)

• 3 weeks later...

We will be spending a few days prior to our cruise in Montreal, this May. I thought the afternoon we arrive we might just head over to the Underground Mall and look around and find a good spot for dinner.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites and it looks like it is very close.

Where would we actually enter the mall... what street? I did not find that info available -- I KNOW we can ask at our hotel -- I just like to have a heads up for my planning 'disorder' :rolleyes:

Also -- any recs for a place to eat -- mid priced or inexpensive that first night? Thought there might be a place in the mall - if not - somewhere within walking distance of E Suites.

One more question about the mall -- I know it is apparently huge -- is there transportation under ground there or is it only walkable?

I lied -- one more question :D --- I'd like to see the display of the church -- saw a photo of it -- that was sinking and the apparent reason the mall was first built?

THANK YOU!

Possibly referring to the Christ Church Cathedral, the tower of which was sinking on the south side by a century ago. While there is now part of the RESO under it, that came many decades after the sinking problem was addressed by replacing the tower with an aluminum replacement - the sinking tower has nothing to do with construction of the RESO.

Food-wise, I don't believe they open for dinner but a fabulous breakfast & lunch spot is just around the back of your hotel - Le Gros Jambon diner. Quirky decor, very 50s Americana, but fantastic food and nice folks. They're closed right now for renos, but the facebook page I linked should let you know when they're open again, hopefully in time for your May cruise.