Royal Princess - Forward Staterooms

DUC950

Can anyone tell me what will be causing the obstructed view on the forward staterooms on the Lido and Marina Decks.
Go to the Princess website and do a dummy booking. You will see that the obstruction is a metal railing rather than glass and that the balcony can't be used when the ship is underway :( Edited by IECalCruiser

Go to the Princess website and do a dummy booking. You will see that the obstruction is a metal railing rather than glass and that the balcony can't be used when the ship is underway :(

First ever post, question! Have booked L107 on Scandinavia Russia from Copenhagen in May 2014. These forward mini suites seem much bigger than the other mini suites and are booked out on all the sailing dates. I grabbed this one when I could and read that the balcony is metal and not glass. However, the Princess sales rep I spoke to did not mention that you can't use the balcony when sailing. Does that mean you can't go out on it to look at the view, or is it just too windy to sit out. If that is the case it won't worry us as we only want to stand and look out. Sailing in May it will be still cold so not suitable for sun bathing.

This stateroom seems the first one booked and is booked out on all the itineries I looked at, so I am just wondering why. This will be our 3rd Princess cruise and we really don't know anything about the best cabins so I would appreciate any advice. Have been on Sun Princess and Caribean Princess so it will be lovely to be on a new ship.

Edited by 2gadabouts

First ever post, question! Have booked L107 on Scandinavia Russia from Copenhagen in May 2014. These forward mini suites seem much bigger than the other mini suites and are booked out on all the sailing dates. I grabbed this one when I could and read that the balcony is metal and not glass. However, the Princess sales rep I spoke to did not mention that you can't use the balcony when sailing. Does that mean you can't go out on it to look at the view, or is it just too windy to sit out.

The cabins with a foreward facing balcony (such as L103) are the ones where the balcony would be too windy to use when the ship was underway.

Because there is a barrier between your cabin's balcony and the balcony of the one forward from it, you would not be subject to the same high winds.

The forward cabin balconies can only be used in port and not at sea. I am booked in cabin L115 and my obstructed view was the metal plate railing running 3 ft up from top to bottom. You have a great view from the lido deck level standing up but not sitting down. A few of us have been keeping a eye on the latest photos of the ship and we have noticed from a couple of days ago that they have made some changes on our cabins. They seemed to have switched from that solid metal front back to the plexi see thru normal railing. We looked at both sides and that seems to be what has happened. We are keeping a sharpe eye out ! Bob

• 2 weeks later...
The forward cabin balconies can only be used in port and not at sea. I am booked in cabin L115 and my obstructed view was the metal plate railing running 3 ft up from top to bottom. You have a great view from the lido deck level standing up but not sitting down. A few of us have been keeping a eye on the latest photos of the ship and we have noticed from a couple of days ago that they have made some changes on our cabins. They seemed to have switched from that solid metal front back to the plexi see thru normal railing. We looked at both sides and that seems to be what has happened. We are keeping a sharpe eye out ! Bob

Hi I am just reading your post about forward facing balcony cabins. I am booked in L106. I paid a lot of money to have a big balcony that I could enjoy on sea days and now from what you are saying we can't sit out there. I wonder why the travel agent doesn't tell their clients that? I was really looking forward to that large balcony on sea days. I might have to change my room again! UGH! Please help!

Thanks!

First ever post, question! Have booked L107 on Scandinavia Russia from Copenhagen in May 2014. These forward mini suites seem much bigger than the other mini suites and are booked out on all the sailing dates. I grabbed this one when I could and read that the balcony is metal and not glass. However, the Princess sales rep I spoke to did not mention that you can't use the balcony when sailing. Does that mean you can't go out on it to look at the view, or is it just too windy to sit out. If that is the case it won't worry us as we only want to stand and look out. Sailing in May it will be still cold so not suitable for sun bathing.

This stateroom seems the first one booked and is booked out on all the itineries I looked at, so I am just wondering why. This will be our 3rd Princess cruise and we really don't know anything about the best cabins so I would appreciate any advice. Have been on Sun Princess and Caribean Princess so it will be lovely to be on a new ship.

There are questions about the layouts of L108/L106, L107/L105, M108/M106 and M107/M105 The deck plans show a different arrangement than the booking engine. The 107 and 108 cabins such as L107 should have a partition to protect you from the wind fairly well. I tend to think that the layout in the booking engine is incorrect and the deckplans is correct and that the 105/106 cabins are larger and the 107/108 cabins are smaller.

Hi we currently have M108 on Sept 27th sailing ,we originally booked M106 but when the deck plan changed we changed then it changed again .We have made numerous representations in regard to the conflicting information and in the end we stuck with

M108 and will see what we get I do not expect we will be doing much balcony lounging but it will be nice to get out their and see the view and it should be nice and private.

We are in M127 on 9th June. The 4 cabins forward of us say partially obstructed but the one forward of them again is a mini suite I think but not marked as anything unusual. I will try and post photos after that date.

Where can I see the photos you are talking about? I would love to see what to expect.

We are in M127 on 9th June. The 4 cabins forward of us say partially obstructed but the one forward of them again is a mini suite I think but not marked as anything unusual. I will try and post photos after that date.

Where can I see the photos you are talking about? I would love to see what to expect.

Hi caber!

The 'partial obstruction' of most of the side-facing balcony cabins forward of you is no longer there. They were converted from a steel balcony wall (which was the partial obstruction) to a glass wall (no longer obstructed). Here is an enlargement of the forward starboard side of the ship showing the cabins you are inquiring about. It's a bit hard to see but you can manage to visualize the dual glass panes of the sliding glass door on each balcony. The steel bulkhead appears to start on Marina Deck at cabin M107/L107 and continues forward across the front of the ship. LARGE VERSION HERE. This was originally posted yesterday on the Everything Royal Princess thread. Hope this helps! :D

8668101138_4ed39c5715_b.jpg

P.S. Here is a screen grab originally posted by IECalCruiser showing the confusion regarding the forward suites and the differences seen in the deck plan vs booking engine. Look at the bottom image at L106/108 and L105/107:

Lido+Marina+deck+forward+cabins.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

• 7 months later...
Hi caber!

The 'partial obstruction' of most of the side-facing balcony cabins forward of you is no longer there. They were converted from a steel balcony wall (which was the partial obstruction) to a glass wall (no longer obstructed). Here is an enlargement of the forward starboard side of the ship showing the cabins you are inquiring about. It's a bit hard to see but you can manage to visualize the dual glass panes of the sliding glass door on each balcony. The steel bulkhead appears to start on Marina Deck at cabin M107/L107 and continues forward across the front of the ship. LARGE VERSION HERE. This was originally posted yesterday on the Everything Royal Princess thread. Hope this helps! :D

8668101138_4ed39c5715_b.jpg

P.S. Here is a screen grab originally posted by IECalCruiser showing the confusion regarding the forward suites and the differences seen in the deck plan vs booking engine. Look at the bottom image at L106/108 and L105/107:

Lido+Marina+deck+forward+cabins.jpg

I have booked L108 next June given the size and layout of the cabin and that this is the only forward mini where you had access to the balcony on sea days. Today when I went on to the Princess site the description of these corner minis also now states that you can't use the balcony on sea days. On our cruise all of the corner minis have now become available except ours. Has anyone travelled in these minis and do you know if they have changed the rules with regard to balcony access? If this is true we will have to move as the most important part of the trip for me is getting out on the balcony as we arrive into a new port. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks. Anne

• 4 months later...

I noticed that several of you said you have a cruise coming up with one of these rooms. I am looking to book a balcony room with obstructed view on the Regal. It's room L 109.

So from what I got from the thread, the room will have a metal railing, and I will not be able to sit on the balcony during sailing? The room is only $799 and all the other balcony rooms are well over $900.

regal.jpg.62db334292a22bec40bb796718995f34.jpg

Edited by MsWeddingImage

I noticed that several of you said you have a cruise coming up with one of these rooms. I am looking to book a balcony room with obstructed view on the Regal. It's room L 109.

So from what I got from the thread, the room will have a metal railing, and I will not be able to sit on the balcony during sailing? The room is only $799 and all the other balcony rooms are well over $900.

No - I think you'll be fine to sit out on your balcony whenever you wish. Many posts indicate there are NO restrictions with regard to occupying your balcony. I also think your balcony will be pretty clear of obstructions. I think these rooms originally had a metal railing but were switched to a plexi-glass railing.

This cabin does not have a obstructed view . It has a glass railing like the rest of the cabins. They changed it last year just like they did on the Royal. I had L115 on Royal and it was fine. I got a great price just like you. They never adjusted the price after the change and still list it as obstructed. I just looked at a picture taken a few days ago it confirms what I am telling you. Have a good time!

This cabin does not have a obstructed view . It has a glass railing like the rest of the cabins. They changed it last year just like they did on the Royal. I had L115 on Royal and it was fine. I got a great price just like you. They never adjusted the price after the change and still list it as obstructed. I just looked at a picture taken a few days ago it confirms what I am telling you. Have a good time!

From the picture of an outside view, it appears L115's balcony floor is a little higher than the floor of L119 next to it. Is the height of the ceiling inside any lower than normal?

okay so they now switched us to a front room on marina deck #102. They say on the website you can not use the balcony on sea days. We have 6 days, I wish they would have said something. I may switch again or just cancel this cruise altother! The royal seems to be an awkard ship!

okay so they now switched us to a front room on marina deck #102. They say on the website you can not use the balcony on sea days. We have 6 days, I wish they would have said something. I may switch again or just cancel this cruise altother! The royal seems to be an awkard ship!

This is a great cabin. You most certainly CAN use the balcony during sea days. There have been numerous posts to this effect. I believe it's just if it gets abnormally windy that Princess will ask you not to use it. Keep this cabin!

Well travel agent was just on phone and definitely can not use the balcony on sea days. Also when couch is pulled out you can not even get on the balcony. It is definitely in writing. So now we are back down on emerald with an ubstructed view but with a pullout for our daughter and a queen bed! And mid ship!

My understanding is that those forward facing balconies are completely usable at your discretion. It is up to you if you want to use it or not while sailing. FWIW, I was just in L114, a side balcony 2 back from the mini-suite, there is an incline in the hallway probably equal to a foot or 18 inches.

Well travel agent was just on phone and definitely can not use the balcony on sea days. Also when couch is pulled out you can not even get on the balcony. It is definitely in writing. So now we are back down on emerald with an ubstructed view but with a pullout for our daughter and a queen bed! And mid ship!

Your TA is wrong. Can be used at your discretion.

I was just in L114' date=' a side balcony 2 back from the mini-suite, there is an incline in the hallway probably equal to a foot or 18 inches.[/quote']

Is the height inside the cabin normal, or is it reduced due to the incline?

From the picture of an outside view, it appears L115's balcony floor is a little higher than the floor of L119 next to it. Is the height of the ceiling inside any lower than normal?

The height is the same and the bottom of the balcony outside comes up about 6 inches and that is all. When I was on in Dec. the people in the cabins in front were using there balconys all the time and the only card in there cabin asked them to keep the lights down low because of the bridge area one deck below! We had no problems at all with our balcony view. I also have photos of my cabin !

Edited by fielddreamer