Please Help - Why do I want to go to St. Georges?

js

Thank you Charles. Also, are Tobacco and Horseshoe Bay Beach far from each other and approximately how long of a taxi drive is it to each from Kings Wharf.

THANKS!

Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay are not close.

A taxi ride from King's Wharf, Dockyard to HSB is about 20 minutes.

A taxi ride from King's Wharf, Dockyard to TB is about 50-55 minutes.

So a taxi ride from HSB to TB is about 30-35 minutes.

SBtS

What is the cost to take a taxi from to tb to kings wharf? We are a party of 9 .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My estimate for fares using standard rates for taxis carrying 9 passengers from Tobacco Bay to King's Wharf, Dockyard on weekday - taxi #1, 5 passengers $75; taxi #2, 4 passengers, $60.

My suggestion would be to take the taxis to Hamilton and then the ferry to the Dockyard, my estimate of fares for the taxis would be - taxi #1, 5 passengers $41; taxi #2, 4 passengers, $33. The total ferry fare for 9 passengers using $4.00 tokens would be $36.

Winsome Transport has a 15 passenger tour van which you might see if you could hire it, and there could be other tour companies that have that size van.

An even less expensive option would be to walk from TB to the St George ferry dock and board the St George <> Dockyard ferry.

The total ferry fare for 9 passengers using $4.00 tokens would be $36. 40 minutes after boarding the ferry, you'll be getting off at the Dockyard.

SBtS

Down on the circle by the cruise ship terminal in historic St George, we happened upon a wonderful gentleman, 83 years young, who will take you on a delightful carriage ride around St George with his beloved horses (who he takes swimming daily, weather permitting). This is a wonderful way to take in the sights and he could not be more accommodating and informative. He lived there all his life; his love of the island, the town, history and the flora and fauna shines through. Highly recommended.

Here's a thought..........skip St. Georges. If you or your kids are not into the history or sight seeing of the town its just wasted time and wasted time getting there and back. Do one beach day at Horseshoe and another a Church Bay. Church Bay is about 1/4 the size of HB, however it has fantastic snorkeling right off the beach. On the third day you can go on a snorkeling excursion in the AM or Noon trip from the dockyard.

Here's a thought..........skip St. Georges. If you or your kids are not into the history or sight seeing of the town its just wasted time and wasted time getting there and back. Do one beach day at Horseshoe and another a Church Bay. Church Bay is about 1/4 the size of HB, however it has fantastic snorkeling right off the beach. On the third day you can go on a snorkeling excursion in the AM or Noon trip from the dockyard.

After the third time going to Church Bay I gave up trying to go there to snorkel. Guess it was just bad luck but all three times I went there it was very rough. I am a very good swimmer and snorkeler, been snorkeling for 30 years, and have my own gear but it didn't look safe those times. I am sure it is not always that rough but that is something to consider. Tobacco Bay on the other hand is pretty much guaranteed to be safe snorkeling.

St. George is a World Heritage Site. It would be a shame for anyone to visit Bermuda and not visit St. George.

I've read Church Bay is great about 80% of the time. We were there two years ago and it was glass. The following day we did a snorkeling excursion and by the time we got to the reef is was too rough with 3-5 footers

Daniel Bay looks pretty.

Is it calm waters?

It looks very small. Is it larger than Tobacco with less people?

Thank you.

None has ever posted before about Daniel Bay that I recall. The Tripadvisor links provided for the beach and Kayaks have no reviews. I note that the person who put up the links is located in Bermuda and just joined Cruise Critic. I hope it is not someone violating the board guidelines who is associated with the businesses located there. Lacking any reviews here or on Tripadvisor I would be leery of going there based on HWD1962's pitch for the place.

Just got back from the NCL Dawn to Bermuda, and we were one of the crazy ones who did St. George's by Ferry on our last day in port. It actually wasn't crazy at all. Our last day was on a Tuesday. We took the first ferry out of the dockyard at 9:15am, pulled into St. George's by 10am, and then took a $7 taxi ride straight to Tobacco Bay. We were the first ones there, but the people who decided to walk from the ferry instead were only about 10 mins behind us. The bay was at low tide while we were there, but the water was wonderful, we saw lots of fish further out against the rocks (also the tide pools on the right are swarming with fish), and the rocks were fun to take pictures around. My teenage cousin had a blast jumping off of the deeper rocks further out. After a bit of swimming my mom and I walked just down the road to Fort St. Catherine and toured there for about 45 mins then walked back to the beach. The beach at Fort St. catherine was completely empty. Tobacco Bay only had about 30 people at the most while we were there. When we decided to pack up there were no taxi's waiting, but a guy in his car offerred to drop us off back in town for $7 (worked him down from $12). The last ferry back to the Dockyard on a tuesday was at 2:15pm. We did a quick souviner run through St. George's then got to the ferry yard just before 2pm. Got back to the Dockyard by 3pm, did a last round of souviner seeking in the shops then back onto the ship well before all aboard at 5pm.

This actually worked out super well for us, as we had done a quick St. George tour by car the day before, so we had already gotten a lay of the town layout, the church, the unfinished church, where Tobacco Bay was, etc. The walk from town to the beach is totally doable, but we just didn't want to waste any time, and the taxi was super cheap.

None has ever posted before about Daniel Bay that I recall. The Tripadvisor links provided for the beach and Kayaks have no reviews. I note that the person who put up the links is located in Bermuda and just joined Cruise Critic. I hope it is not someone violating the board guidelines who is associated with the businesses located there. Lacking any reviews here or on Tripadvisor I would be leery of going there based on HWD1962's pitch for the place.

gggrrrr, thanks so much! Thanks for the heads up.

Back to planning :)

Just got back from the NCL Dawn to Bermuda, and we were one of the crazy ones who did St. George's by Ferry on our last day in port. It actually wasn't crazy at all. Our last day was on a Tuesday. We took the first ferry out of the dockyard at 9:15am, pulled into St. George's by 10am, and then took a $7 taxi ride straight to Tobacco Bay. We were the first ones there, but the people who decided to walk from the ferry instead were only about 10 mins behind us. The bay was at low tide while we were there, but the water was wonderful, we saw lots of fish further out against the rocks (also the tide pools on the right are swarming with fish), and the rocks were fun to take pictures around. My teenage cousin had a blast jumping off of the deeper rocks further out. After a bit of swimming my mom and I walked just down the road to Fort St. Catherine and toured there for about 45 mins then walked back to the beach. The beach at Fort St. catherine was completely empty. Tobacco Bay only had about 30 people at the most while we were there. When we decided to pack up there were no taxi's waiting, but a guy in his car offerred to drop us off back in town for $7 (worked him down from $12). The last ferry back to the Dockyard on a tuesday was at 2:15pm. We did a quick souviner run through St. George's then got to the ferry yard just before 2pm. Got back to the Dockyard by 3pm, did a last round of souviner seeking in the shops then back onto the ship well before all aboard at 5pm.

This actually worked out super well for us, as we had done a quick St. George tour by car the day before, so we had already gotten a lay of the town layout, the church, the unfinished church, where Tobacco Bay was, etc. The walk from town to the beach is totally doable, but we just didn't want to waste any time, and the taxi was super cheap.

Hi. Thank you VERY much for posting your experience at Tobacco Bay.

I am thinking this will be our first beach day and do Horseshoe Bay beach our last day since we will be closer to Kings Wharf. I see you mentioned tide pools. Are there many of them at Tobacco Bay? My sister will have 3 little kids with her and hoping they can play in the tide pools. We want to rent chairs/umbrella and eat. Can we do this at Tobacco and did you enjoy your time there?

Thanks so much.

Daniels Head Beach Park.......see link

http://maps.google.com/?ll=32.305162,-64.879364&spn=0.005432,0.00809&t=h&z=17

I'm not sure what is going on there if anything. Its part of the "9 Beaches Resort" http://www.9beaches.com which is still being rebuilt. Our guide drove us by the place 2 years ago. Their looked to be a guy who had a small stand renting beach chairs etc.... Nice beach, calm water, looked to be some locals

Hi. Thank you VERY much for posting your experience at Tobacco Bay.

I am thinking this will be our first beach day and do Horseshoe Bay beach our last day since we will be closer to Kings Wharf. I see you mentioned tide pools. Are there many of them at Tobacco Bay? My sister will have 3 little kids with her and hoping they can play in the tide pools. We want to rent chairs/umbrella and eat. Can we do this at Tobacco and did you enjoy your time there?

Thanks so much.

No tide pools suitable for children but it is very shallow to start out and many children play there. Take a look at these pictures.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tobacco+bay+bermuda+photos&qpvt=tobacco+bay+bermuda+photos&FORM=IGRE

As another poster has said, I would recommend going to St. George on the day your ship arrives, or the next day. This way you all can have a relaxing visit in St. Georges without the worry of missing the ship.

Be sure to visit the quaint shops, the perfumery, take the train-trolley tour, and watch the noon dunking.

Tobacco Bay beach is very nice. We always went there when the Majesty docked in St. Georges.

Has anyone been to Achilles Bay Beach? Can you walk from Tobacco Bay to Achilles Bay and then visit Fort St. Catherine? My husband, son and I will be on the Breakaway the first week of September and I thought we could take the ferry over to St. George during a port day and walk from there. Thanks so much for all your help.

Has anyone been to Achilles Bay Beach? Can you walk from Tobacco Bay to Achilles Bay and then visit Fort St. Catherine? My husband, son and I will be on the Breakaway the first week of September and I thought we could take the ferry over to St. George during a port day and walk from there. Thanks so much for all your help.

Yes. That is a beautiful walk we always do. You can also walk one more mile to glass beach @ Alexandra Battery it is worth the effort .;) Here is a link = http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000276.htm

Yes. That is a beautiful walk we always do. You can also walk one more mile to glass beach @ Alexandra Battery it is worth the effort .;) Here is a link = http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000276.htm

And if you do go to Alexandra Battery Beach for sea glass, for best selection, time your visit there to be there at or near low tide.

SBtS

I haven't seen anyone mention the beaches at Cooper's Island Nature Reserve in the east end before. If you want beautiful beaches, that's the place. Would need to get a taxi there and book a time to be collected for return. Is just past Clearwater and Turtle beaches in St. David's.

You'd be dropped at the entry gate and then have about a 5 minute walk to the first beach. Amazing place for beaches and just walking through nature.

Trying to attach a photo of one of the beaches there but not sure I'm doing it correctly.

Nope, photo didn't attach. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Sorry.

To post photos, open an account at a photo hosting site such as Photobucket. Now upload the photo(s) you want to display to the site. For Photobucket, click on each uploaded photo(s), and you'll get something that looks like this (other sites should be about the same):

Example01.jpg

Copy (left click on the URL) the IMG code and just paste (without the *'s) it into your post anywhere: [*IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/SailBadtheSinner/example.jpg[*/IMG]

SBtS

Thanks. If you go to google images and type in Coopers Island Nature Reserve, there are a lot of photos to give an idea of the beaches and other parts of the area.

to post an image from another site:

• Right click on the image (must be at the original location of image, not Google)
  • Select from the Drop Down Menu - Copy Image Location,
  • If you were copying the image to a Cruise Critic forum thread, select Post Reply,
  • In the Reply to Thread message box, from the posting toolbar, select (from the 2nd row of the toolbar) - Insert Image (5th icon from the right end of toolbar), and Paste the URL you copied in step 2 (above) in the area provided
  • hit OK
  • image location has been copied

Easy Peasy :D !

cooperspt1.jpg

SBtS

Archived