Info for rental car at cruise terminal in San Francisco?

We are on the upcoming Navigator cruise from Miami to San Francisco. We are spending one night in San Francisco before returning home and would like to do a little sight seeing. Does anyone know if you can get rental cars near the cruise terminal?

Most of the major car rental companies have locations on Fisherman's Wharf, on or very near Beach Street. About a 10-15 minute walk from the ship's dock.

Just Google "car rental San Francisco", go to the map and zoom in on the Fisherman's Wharf area to see them all, with phone numbers.

j

29/402

We are on the upcoming Navigator cruise from Miami to San Francisco. We are spending one night in San Francisco before returning home and would like to do a little sight seeing. Does anyone know if you can get rental cars near the cruise terminal?

If you're only spending one night you may wish to forgo the car rental and just use a taxi or car service. You could end up spending most of the night looking for parking depending upon where you're going.

I agree that depending on what you want to do, a car might not be the best idea. Driving in downtown SF would be pretty horrible I think, and with all those crazy hills, parking is a nightmare I think. We stayed downtown and took the trolleys, tram and bus wherever we wanted to go. Plus cabs. Of course if you want to get out of the city, perhaps a car would be the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

For one night, I would not rent a car. Taxis and the cable car are plenty to get around in SF. If you were staying longer, and wanted to go to napa or monteray, there are plenty of car rental agencies close by. But really not needed for one night.

Remember, there is www.zipcar.com that they rent out cars by the hour. Some of the younger generation in SF City use this a lot and they don't even need to have their own transportation/vehicle.

That's fine for getting out of town but just like a rental you're still going to have to deal with in town traffic and parking (more realistically lack thereof).

Remember, there is www.zipcar.com that they rent out cars by the hour. Some of the younger generation in SF City use this a lot and they don't even need to have their own transportation/vehicle.

That's fine for getting out of town but just like a rental you're still going to have to deal with in town traffic and parking (more realistically lack thereof).

I believe that zipcar is NOT designed to get out of town--if i t's like the system we have here, it's designed for short trips, an hour or two. After that it gets more expensive than simply renting a car for the day.

As for parking, think about parking on a 45 degree hill!

I believe that zipcar is NOT designed to get out of town--if i t's like the system we have here, it's designed for short trips, an hour or two. After that it gets more expensive than simply renting a car for the day.

As for parking, think about parking on a 45 degree hill!

I'm not sure about the rates but I do see more zip cars outside San Francisco than in.:cool:

The pier is at the Embarcadero area. There is public transportation right across the street from the passenger terminal. Very easy to go places that way. There are taxi's, a cable/trolley car stystem, busses and even BART is close.

Archived