Transatlantic in September

patjeblauw

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Given that weathermen can't accurately predict the weather for tomorrow, no one can answer that question. It could be warm and calm or you could have a hurricane (I hope that's not true).

Very unusual to have an eastbound Transatlantic sail from Ft Lauderdale at the height of hurricane season (Oasis is heading for drydock). My guess is it will be extremely hot and humid at sailaway--especially for someone who just flew in from the Netherlands. And be prepared for lots of rain in the N Atlantic. Hopefully it will be sunny and mild, but it could be almost anything.

Very unusual to have an eastbound Transatlantic sail from Ft Lauderdale at the height of hurricane season (Oasis is heading for drydock). My guess is it will be extremely hot and humid at sailaway--especially for someone who just flew in from the Netherlands. And be prepared for lots of rain in the N Atlantic. Hopefully it will be sunny and mild, but it could be almost anything.

September is the height of hurricane season, so you just have to hope that you don't hit one on your way. Not saying it will happen, but September is a very busy time for tropical storms.

We did a WBTA in 2010 Barcelona-Port Canaveral Sep18-Oct3. We had absolutely gorgeous, calm, still seas and weather the whole trip.

Yes, that is most likely not the norm, but that's what we had.

thanks for your answers!! I am aware that it is hurricane season but I was just curious if anyone had sailed during that time of year and what kind of weather they had. Having been on over more than 30 cruises I know you can expect almost everything when it comes to weather ;-)

Saw the post regarding hurricane season and that it is UNUSUAL to see an east bound cruise at this time. I'm considering signing up for a westbound cruise leaving 9/25/13 (London to NY) with several interesting stops but wondered whether this was an okay time to take this trip. The timing is good for other things we want to schedule this fall, but wondered if it would be a mistake to book this trip. Appreciate thoughts and advice from those with experience or knowledge on this subject.

Saw the post regarding hurricane season and that it is UNUSUAL to see an east bound cruise at this time. I'm considering signing up for a westbound cruise leaving 9/25/13 (London to NY) with several interesting stops but wondered whether this was an okay time to take this trip. The timing is good for other things we want to schedule this fall, but wondered if it would be a mistake to book this trip. Appreciate thoughts and advice from those with experience or knowledge on this subject.

I assume this cruise would be via Faroe Islands/Iceland/Greenland/Canadian Maritimes. This one is at the top of my list; friends of mine have gone and there have been many live-from's of similar sailings on here. In a nutshell, expect many days where the thermometer barely gets above freezing and real possibilities of one or more ports being missed due to rough seas.

Archived