What to do with 3 hours in Ketchikan?

emeltee

DH & DD1 are doing the Deadliest Catch excursion at 1:30 on our port day.

What can they fit in before they need to check in for their excursion? Will they have time to see any totem poles + eat lunch prior to check in? We arrive in port at 10am; check-in will be around 1pm.

There are totems in town if you don't have time to get to Totem Bight. Print the walking tour map; you'll have time for that and will see totems:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

Thanks for the link. Exactly enough to satisfy them.

Would it make more sense to find somewhere in town to eat or does it make any sense to go back onto the ship to grab something to eat before the excursion?

We have never cruised before, so I don't know how long it takes to get back on and off a ship.

On the Dock, near the Visitor's Center is a little shack that makes the best Deep Fried Battered Halibut and Fries. DW and I always stop and get an order. Over on Creek St. there is a little place that sells canned smoked salmon, salmon jerkey, etc. at a pretty good price. Not exactly excursions, but it is good eats. :)

Thanks for the link. Exactly enough to satisfy them.

Would it make more sense to find somewhere in town to eat or does it make any sense to go back onto the ship to grab something to eat before the excursion?

We have never cruised before, so I don't know how long it takes to get back on and off a ship.

Except that you save money, it never makes any sense to go back to the ship to eat once you are on land.

DON

Depends on where your ship is docked...you might be right downtown, which would provide you the opportunity to eat onboard. Otherwise, it is about a 10-15 minute walk. The fish shack is very good, but not cheap...be prepared to spend some money. There is a bridge over the river which is within walking distance from the main dock...look for the resident seal who likes to steal salmon from the fisherman! You can also easily walk Creek Street and get back to the ship in time for your excursion.

Depends on where your ship is docked...you might be right downtown, which would provide you the opportunity to eat onboard. Otherwise, it is about a 10-15 minute walk. The fish shack is very good, but not cheap...be prepared to spend some money. There is a bridge over the river which is within walking distance from the main dock...look for the resident seal who likes to steal salmon from the fisherman! You can also easily walk Creek Street and get back to the ship in time for your excursion.

DW and I split a large order and it really isn't that much, $12 last year and it is quite good, of course the ship is free, but the shack is worth a few bucks to us. :)

We had lunch last year at the Alaska Fish House and had great fish and chips. It's quite close to Creek Street, which someone mentioned earlier. Creek Street is lots of fun, and near the end there's a funicular that you can ride up to the Cape Fox Lodge. From there, find the trail that goes back down.

Price must have come down.....last time we purchased it was over $20/order...but I agree, it is very good!

Was there another Fish Shack on the docks to get Halibut? At $20/order we might have passed at that price, but Halibut can be expensive, so maybe not. I guess we'll take some extra $$$ just in case. ;)

There are totems in town if you don't have time to get to Totem Bight. Print the walking tour map; you'll have time for that and will see totems:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

Thank you for the maps!!! I'm hoping that the Duck Tour is in this area, so we can do that and also see totems without having to hire a taxi. We should have time to do both :)

Mmm, making my mouth water! We'll definitely stay in port to eat!

A few more questions: what do you gain out of going to the totem pole parks? I'll be with my 4yo (she's too young for the excursion) and I'm wondering if there is much more to gain for her at the parks.

Also, we'll be in town the 2nd week of July - will there be salmon running at that time? If there are, won't we be able to see them from town?

Also, is the only way to see the lumberjack show by getting tix through the cruiseline? I did a quick search and it seems that way. However, Princess only has tix for the show in the afternoon. Since I was planning on having DD2 nap, afternoon shows won't work for us. Not a big deal - I think we'll be happy enough to walk around town and chill.

Mmm, making my mouth water! We'll definitely stay in port to eat!

A few more questions: what do you gain out of going to the totem pole parks? I'll be with my 4yo (she's too young for the excursion) and I'm wondering if there is much more to gain for her at the parks.

Also, we'll be in town the 2nd week of July - will there be salmon running at that time? If there are, won't we be able to see them from town?

Also, is the only way to see the lumberjack show by getting tix through the cruiseline? I did a quick search and it seems that way. However, Princess only has tix for the show in the afternoon. Since I was planning on having DD2 nap, afternoon shows won't work for us. Not a big deal - I think we'll be happy enough to walk around town and chill.

Go onto their website directly for the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show....You can purchase your tickets there and have a choice of times. Shows start (depending on your port date) at 8-8:30am & 11:00am. No need to buy them thru the ship. Also great halibut-n-chips right next door at the Alaska Fish House..walk-up window and inside or outside seating..I also believe our tickets came with a coupon for a free beer (to go) near by..one of us went and got the beer while the other ordered...Easy and quick.. Enjoy.

Also, is the only way to see the lumberjack show by getting tix through the cruiseline?

We took the public bus to Totem Bight Park and the adjoining Potlach Park. I do not think the 4 year old will be too excited to see the totem poles. But, maybe she will. Only you could answer that question. They ae very large and they are set out in big grassy areas with good views of the water. I think the 4 yo will enjoy the freedom to run in the park. [ a good place to get the energy out] Also, in both parks there are a few buildings and such to go inside and move around.

Also, you can stop at the Walmart on the way back [or there] and pick up anything you need. We did not stop there--but, it was very popular.

Ketchikan is very walkable. You will find plenty to do if you just walk along Creek Street.

Another thing we looked into [before we decided to take the bus to the parks] was a Duck tour. You can get a good overview of Ketchikan this way and Duck tours are great for kids. The guides tell corny jokes and the passengers are encouraged to quack. What 4 yo would not like that?:p They said they had a covering to keep you dry if it rains--which it does a lot in Ketchikan.

Have a fun trip!:D

We took the public bus to Totem Bight Park and the adjoining Potlach Park. I do not think the 4 year old will be too excited to see the totem poles. But, maybe she will. Only you could answer that question. They ae very large and they are set out in big grassy areas with good views of the water. I think the 4 yo will enjoy the freedom to run in the park. [ a good place to get the energy out] Also, in both parks there are a few buildings and such to go inside and move around.

Also, you can stop at the Walmart on the way back [or there] and pick up anything you need. We did not stop there--but, it was very popular.

Ketchikan is very walkable. You will find plenty to do if you just walk along Creek Street.

Another thing we looked into [before we decided to take the bus to the parks] was a Duck tour. You can get a good overview of Ketchikan this way and Duck tours are great for kids. The guides tell corny jokes and the passengers are encouraged to quack. What 4 yo would not like that?:p They said they had a covering to keep you dry if it rains--which it does a lot in Ketchikan.

Wanted to add about the duck tour .... our friends took one in Seattle with their 3 and 7 years old. Both kids LOVED it. They were given duck beak shaped whistle (duck calls) to blow throughout the trip.

How long is the Duck tour and is it easy to by ticket on the spot. Or do we need to purchase early?

Also, anyone know if salmon will be running and be seen from creek st the end week of July?

How long is the Duck tour and is it easy to by ticket on the spot. Or do we need to purchase early?

Also, anyone know if salmon will be running and be seen from creek st the end week of July?

http://www.alaskaportreviews.com/Ketchikan.htm

http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-536348-dinner-julia-july-night-port-salmon-ship-bob (trip review for July)

http://www.akduck.com/

90 minutes

I think you are too early. We were there the last week of July last year and they weren't really running yet. There were a few if you really looked. There was a young man renting fishing equipment near the end of Creek Street and he told us that they'd probably be in "next week". There are various factors involved, but I think mid-July is generally way too early.

We have a salmon hatchery in the town where I live in WA and I know that our salmon run varies depending on weather, rainfall, etc. We have a BIG festival the first weekend of October and they are usually running strong by then, but occasionally they are still sparse until later in the month.

Archived