Rough Seas- what's the worst?

ihavecats

Several years ago, leaving Qaqortoq, Greenland, we were supposed to go to St. John's, Newfoundland. Ship was going 1/20 of proposed speed. Captain said there was no way we could negotiate the harbor entrance (if we ever got there on schedule in the first place). There was no sideward motion, but it was necessary to wait for the ship to be on the downward side of the wave before racing down the corridor. We never get sea sick, so enjoyed quiet dining in an almost deserted dining room!

Margaret

Is there a reason why cabins on deck 10 were being flooded, we happen to have our cabin on deck 10!:(

Thank you

They flooded because the waves were so high. Here is a link to a Youtube video that shows them.

Took a cruise with the kids on the old Sovereign of the Seas in May 2008 Cape Canaveral to the Bahamas. The last night we were feeling the effects of a 7.9 earthquake all the way in China. The suitcases that are placed in the hallway the night before were banging back and forth all night!

My worst sea was a North Sea ferry hull to zeebrugge. Fortunately managed to purchase sea sickness medication in Brugges for the return trip and slept through it on the way back.

Same here...Dec 1994. Dover to Zeebrugge. Return trip was much better. Not sure what the sea state was but the waves were crashing over the bow. My poor DW was in the bathroom pretty much the whole trip.

My wife and I were crossing the Drake Passage on the Azamara Quest (30,000 tons) from Antarctica to Argentina January 2013. Had a window table at the Prime C specialty restaurant on the top deck as the ship sailed through hurricane force winds (105 mph) and mountainous seas. The ship would roll into a trough and we'd be looking UP onto the wave crests.

The public areas of the ship had been secured around 9:30pm due to shifting furniture and fixtures. After literally leaving the restaurant on our hands and knees, spent a fairly pleasant, if interesting, night being rocked to sleep in our veranda stateroom as the ship rode out the storm quite nicely. Good ship. Great crew.

Regards.

Bill Walker

• 2 weeks later...
Took a cruise with the kids on the old Sovereign of the Seas in May 2008 Cape Canaveral to the Bahamas. The last night we were feeling the effects of a 7.9 earthquake all the way in China. The suitcases that are placed in the hallway the night before were banging back and forth all night!

Someone told you that ... and you believed it ?! :D:p

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, some impressive stories!

Worst I've been on have been tropical storm related.

One night on the Nordic Empress, they had to close all decks & exterior access. We were seriously rocking and rolling. Walking was difficult. No damages (broken plates, toppled bottles etc were reported though)

The most recent was on the Majesty traveling from CocoCay to Key West. We sailed overnight from Nassau, and I was watching them bring a tenders to the boat. I knew two things then. The first - we weren't going to get to spend the day on CocoCay and second, we were going to have a rough day at sea.

We rocked and rolled all day. Wind was terrible too. We tried to enjoy the pool, but the wind kept whipping water out of the pool and it stung when it hit. We were also rolling to the point water was slopping out of the pool!

We went to the Schooner lounge with all of the windows to have a few drinks & watch the waves. We were sitting at the bar talking to the bartender since the bar was mostly deserted when the wind changed or the captain had to turn broadside to the wind or something. We felt the ship start to list, and the bartender's eyes got real big as we tilted to the point he closed the cage on the liquor storage. We turned to see out and we were listed over to the point you could only see water, you could no longer see the horizon line. We stayed listed over like that for a while too.

JM

My personal worst was 15-20' seas for a day or so on Voyager. Just enough to make walking a little difficult, but it was kind of like getting drunk without the high cost ;) I don't get sick easily, any higher or longer I might have.

The worst I've experienced was last October as we sailed back to Port Canaveral through Hurricane Sandy in the Bahamas. All outside decks were closed off for the last day and a half of the cruise. The sustained relative wind speed was above 70 MPH for 36 hours straight (the highest I saw it was 96 MPH). Seas were 20-25 feet. We sat up in the Viking Crown Lounge and watched the sea spray hitting the windows. One night we were rocking so bad I was very concerned about my kids being thrown out of their bunk beds. We surrounded them with extra pillows to try to keep that from happening. The noise of the big waves slapping the hull up in the main theater sounded like thunder.

Anyone on the IOS just now?

I just happened to look at the ship`s position, currently between Las Palmas, Canary Islands and Funchal, Madeira in 70mph winds/Beaufort Scale 11.

WAS thinking of Canary Islands as next cruise.....:eek:

One cruise was really rocking. Cabin closet doors would open and then slam shut, making sleep difficult. They still had a show in the theater but the performers sat down, and the curtain before the show was really swaying left and right. The crew put barf bags all over the ship just in case, but I don't recall any actually being used.

But I guess the very worst would be the passengers on the SS Poseidon. Their whole world got turned upside down. :eek:

Edited by Jimnbigd

Anyone on the IOS just now?

I just happened to look at the ship`s position, currently between Las Palmas, Canary Islands and Funchal, Madeira in 70mph winds/Beaufort Scale 11.

WAS thinking of Canary Islands as next cruise.....:eek:

My Mom is on Indy I will try and get in touch with here and see whats happening I know she wont like it lol:eek:

The absolute worst for me was back in 1981 on a little tub going round the greek islands when there was an underwater earthquake :eek:

Never experienced anything like it - no stabilisers and no health and safety. There were huge speakers toppling over, banks of glass shelves filled with glasses fell and shattered, people were throwing up everywhere. It was grim. :(

We were meant to visit three islands and they couldn't dock anywhere so the captain had the bright idea of taking us up the Corinth Canal :cool:

There was a mutiny on board and the captain saw the error of his ways and took us back to Athens. :rolleyes:

One cruise was really rocking. Cabin closet doors would open and then slam shut, making sleep difficult. They still had a show in the theater but the performers sat down, and the curtain before the show was really swaying left and right. The crew put barf bags all over the ship just in case, but I don't recall any actually being used.

But I guess the very worst would be the passengers on the SS Poseidon. Their whole world got turned upside down. :eek:

Do you pack duct tape now? ;)

My Mom is on Indy I will try and get in touch with here and see whats happening I know she wont like it lol:eek:

Just done another weather check, and dont panic..there appears to be a fault with the website...all is calm, light winds and calm seas...sorry to be alarmist.:o

I've had a few "busy" crossings of the Bay of Biscay.....which I love....but the worst storm we encountered was Oct '09; going from Barcelona to Monaco, when we were caught up in an autumn storm from the Pas de Lyons....we made it to port, but heard of several cruise ships which either stayed at sea or never left port.

The worst seas I ever had was on a Trans Atlantic cruise from Venice to New York on the Norwegian Gem. About 3 days from New York, we ran into a Northeaster Storm. Waves were up to 70ft, balcony cabins on Deck 10 we getting flooded, the restaurants were closed almost 2 days, everything had to be room service, we were confined to our cabins for 2 days. What a wild ride.

We were on this cruise and of the 30+ cruises we have been on this was the worst storm we have ever encountered. The ship was rocking and rolling big time. We were just coming into the Lido for breakfast when THE BIG WAVE hit. There were people laying on the floor, some with serious injuries (broken arm and another with a leg injury) and anything that was not nailed down had been tossed to the other side of the ship. And yes, the waves were crashing on our 10th floor balcony. Throughout the day you would hear things crashing and things breaking. Lots of sick people. It was an experience!

We had force 10 winds while cruising Drake's Passage. And it snowed.

I did a crossing on Seabourn, on one of their small ships, and we hit the tail end of a hurricane in the far North Atlantic. The waves managed to break the satellite dish off the top and it broke the windows on the forward suites. The waves were forty feet high. We had to cruise backward for more than a day so that the waves slammed the back of the ship rather than the front. It was totally nasty. We pulled into NYC with a very damaged ship.

I was on the Sensation this past April, and the sea was really choppy. It was kind of choppy the first night, then calmed down somewhat for the next 2 days, then on the last day at sea, got really bad. People were walking in zigzag patterns, I could feel the motion even in the midship MDR, and one time, I saw a tray of silverware tumble off a waiter's cart. When watching the Punchliner comedy show, I could see the entire audience heave back and forth with the ship (I sat in the back).

I got motion sick only twice in my whole life, so I found the motion very soothing, but a lot of people onboard thought differently. And for at least two days after debarkation, I had massive landsickness. The floor under me kept moving, like I'm still on the ship. Since I had a whole free weekend before returning to work, I didn't care. But it'd be a problem, I'm sure, if I had to go to work next day.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

We've had rough (well, pretty rough) seas on 2 different cruises. The first one was on our Alaska cruise. They closed the outside decks and the Captain made an announcement requesting "no high heels for dinner, ladies".

Sign on the door to outside decks:

34fiu8m.jpg

The second one was on our WBTA. The night we left Madeira, and crossed into the Atlantic was pretty rocky. Even the crew members were wearing their sea bands.

March 2012 on the Radiance of the Seas, heading east across the Tasman sea from Hobart towards the New Zealand fiords - first night we had 16-20 foot waves and gale force winds: rocking, rolling, thumping, jolting, booming, cabinet doors opening & closing (should have brought that duct tape!), not much sleep all night long. Being from earthquake country, it felt like a continuous 3.5 quake for most of the night.

About a week later, heading west from Wellington, NZ, to Sydney: an ugly storm front hit us mid-afternoon, again fierce rocking and rolling. At one point, there was a horrendous "Slam"; the Captain very quickly announced we had been hit by a 117mph wind gust causing the ship to temporarily list 4 degrees. Pretty scary for about 2 hours, then back to relative calm.

We cruised from LA to Hawaii some years ago. Apparently we were skirting a hurricane or something, but hubby didn't tell me at the time. The rocking of the ship was so intense that one night during dinner we hit a HUGE swell and it literally sounded like the propellers were coming straight up out of the water. My face fell blank...which really freaked out our poor table mate across from me (Note: they never did come back to the table after that, I apparently was one of THOSE people in her eyes that night. Oh well...)

I went, quite honestly, into a panic attack and had to get back to my room. So as I drunk-walked it to my cabin, pulling my keycard out and hanging on to walls with tears streaming down my face, (hubby stayed in the dining room with the kids) the magnetic clasp on my evening bag erased my key card. (I had no idea that was even a possibility) so I did the only thing I could think of at the time, I sat on the floor in front of my stateroom and cried like someone killed my puppy. Lucky for me, eventually a crew member with a key was passing by and let me in the room out of sympathy.

Truth be told, it was allllllllll hubby's fault. ( ;) ) If he had told me about the weather we were skirting, I probably would have opted for room service that night in (perception-wise) the safety of my cabin.

Not sure I would react the same way now. Granted, panic attacks are fairly commonplace for me, but I think it was partly ignorance of the storm as well as fear for my (then young) children.