Hats??

msdebbe

A "visor-style" hat works for folks with lots of hair, but I've ALWAYS had a whorl in my hair that leaves a spot on the back/top a tiny bit bare (more, now that I've passed year 60!).

Found a Scala hat years ago and it was the BEST purchase ever. It stays on my head and packs well - no matter what I've done to it, it has recovered. I don't roll it up, but lay it flat in the suitcase (it cradles my neti pot) nestled in other stuff. I've added a leather strap (craft/fabric stores have the thongs and closures) for windy conditions on a ship. And when we were in Cabo San Lucas last year, we found a shop with Scala hats! I was SO EXCITED. And bought a back-up. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE my Scala hat! And have done for YEARS.

Tilley Endurable. Won't win you any fashion awards but the air flow version is tops in both my and my wifes books. Company insures them against loss and they carry a lifetime warranty. They do not however come cheap. We each own two.

On a cruise I spied a great straw-like visor which can roll up-- it's going on my next cruise.

Also bringing a black and white wide-brimmed hat (crushable) and added a black grosgrain ribbon to it to use as a chin strap.

I also have a Tilley and love it but it is staying home this trip.

Foolishmortals:

Probably I am out of the fashion loop, as I don't know what a "cadet style hat" is. When I search online, the images show a brimmed cap with a flattened crown -- it resembles a baseball cap quite a bit. Is that what you are referring to?

http://www.hatnwear.com/images/Levis/Levis_CadetGreen03_01.jpg

Levis_CadetGreen03_01.jpg

Yes, it looks like that. Mine has an adjustable place in the back where you can stick a ponytail through. It's flatter on top and has a more rectangularish shape than my baseball cap which is rounded with mesh like material on the sides(similar to trucker style caps).

• 2 weeks later...

Between my dorky pink golf visor and tennis shoes, I am 5'2" of middle-aged squishy American. Sigh.

Last hat I bought (Carnival gift shop on their private island) had such a floppy brim that it practically touched both cheeks. Shade, yes, but not flattering in the least.

While I'm complaining about my lack of style, I also wish for shoes that protect and support my feet, yet aren't clunky, velcro or otherwise orthopedic looking. It would be nice if I could show off my once-a-year fancy-schmancy pedicure, and still not worry about stubbing my toes on the cobblestones while we trek through Rome in a day. I'm TOO YOUNG for orthopedics, and TOO CLUMSY for flip-flops or anything seriously cute.

I'd LOVE to be a little stylish on our European cruise, but I'm not even sure what style looks like. At least, what's right for my age, body type and budget!

In real life, I'm a statistician for an insurance company, and I work from home. Yoga pants, a hooded sweatshirt and socks are my uniform... Time to liven it up!

Foolishmortals:

Probably I am out of the fashion loop, as I don't know what a "cadet style hat" is. When I search online, the images show a brimmed cap with a flattened crown -- it resembles a baseball cap quite a bit. Is that what you are referring to?

http://www.hatnwear.com/images/Levis/Levis_CadetGreen03_01.jpg

Levis_CadetGreen03_01.jpg

Where I worked at a ski resort, we had a choice of a classic baseball-style cap or one like this. We called that one the "Castro" hat. Think of Fidel and you have the idea...

Between my dorky pink golf visor and tennis shoes, I am 5'2" of middle-aged squishy American. Sigh.

Last hat I bought (Carnival gift shop on their private island) had such a floppy brim that it practically touched both cheeks. Shade, yes, but not flattering in the least.

While I'm complaining about my lack of style, I also wish for shoes that protect and support my feet, yet aren't clunky, velcro or otherwise orthopedic looking. It would be nice if I could show off my once-a-year fancy-schmancy pedicure, and still not worry about stubbing my toes on the cobblestones while we trek through Rome in a day. I'm TOO YOUNG for orthopedics, and TOO CLUMSY for flip-flops or anything seriously cute.

I'd LOVE to be a little stylish on our European cruise, but I'm not even sure what style looks like. At least, what's right for my age, body type and budget!

In real life, I'm a statistician for an insurance company, and I work from home. Yoga pants, a hooded sweatshirt and socks are my uniform... Time to liven it up!

I have been where you are (except for the 5'2" part -- I'm closer to 5'6".) I too, worked from home, in a similar uniform (while homeschooling five sons.) Then one day it hit me: my boss came to my door to pick up an appraisal I had just proofread for him, looked at me and said, "You need to get out more." I took offense at the time for philosophical reasons, but later I realized he meant I looked like a wet sock. (He probably thought I had come to the door wearing my pajamas -- how could he have been able to tell the difference?)

For what it's worth, What Not to Wear changed my life. I am not saying that Stacy and Clinton provide ideas for a cruise wardrobe, necessarily (or at all), but they will convince you of the necessity and your ability to "liven it up," as you said. I recommend you watch the show, and shop, a lot! You don't have to buy a lot -- just shop a lot! Try everything on. You will get to know modern style (and the lack of it!) and what looks good on you, which is true style.

I still work from home -- still homeschool -- and do occasionally wear sweats or yoga pants (I am wearing the latter now) but the pants fit me well, and I have on a nice top and a good bra! I never, ever, go out in sweats, sloppy clothes, ripped jeans (don't own any) -- EVER! I try to spruce up for my public :) Same with cruising. Like you, while cruising (even on Carnival), I like to think of myself as at least a little stylish and maybe even somehow "elegant", and try to look better than decent while still being comfortable and appropriate. It is my pleasure!

I fear your wish of showing off the pedicure while not stubbing those pedicured toes may be unattainable. Perhaps some pretty, comfortable sandals on board ship, and some boat shoes (a la LL Bean or Eddie Bauer) or some of the nice-looking "non-athletic" sneakers ashore? Keds are classics, and cute as a button with little white or colored ankle socks, if you like to wear socks. My favorite Keds are the mesh ones, as they are "closed toe" shoes, but so cool in the heat. I don't bother with socks.

Or what about flats? I know flats are sometimes completely non-supportive -- my feet often hurt more after a day in flats than a day in heels! But some flats are better than others.

Lots of people find low wedges to be the ideal compromise -- stable, comfortable, definitely of-the-moment stylewise. And many pretty colors and patterns. I myself hate how wedges look on my feet when I look in the mirror, but I always love them on other people's feet! Curious...

Go for it! It sounds like you can only go uphill from where you are. ;) Post pictures of your successes!

(Hmmm...sorry, perhaps we have gotten a little off the "hats" topic!)

SeaGoingMom -- Thanks for the words of inspiration! Boat shoes may just be the ticket for avoiding the 'sneaker' look.

I guess I was just grousing. I'm doing OK between my neck and knees, and just picked up a cute bucket hat with a medium brim, so now on to the shoes.

Thanks again!

Both SO adorable! Brava!

Thank you!

I also have this basic hat that I found packs and crushes and pops back into shape that matches the majority of the clothes I take on a cruise. Then, I have several "bands" and flowers and so forth that I can interchange with my wardrobe. One of my favorite embellishments is this ocean-print Coach scarf. Really fun!

But I also have a strand of conchos, shells, tropical flower/bird brooches, and other fun add-ons (all from Hobby Lobby (yeah 40 percent off coupon) that I change out and it makes an all-together different looking hat. So that's an option some of you might think of ... just get a plain hat you like the look of that matches most of your wardrobe ... and get some fun embellishments that you can change out on a whim. It's A LOT easier to pack a half dozen fun hat band type things than several hats!

7d0276a8b8b766837bb100655fd46ef1.jpg.4a0e83ab1a389b5d521379864154d05f.jpg

P1040169.jpg.eb91ddf349aa64f9ae65a6c552d02117.jpg

I'm bringing a very basic straw hat (wide brim, very practical) that's great for the beach or going ashore. It matches everything.

I also have a canvas "bucket hat" that matches some of my shorts outfits. It's very cute, but doesn't provide as much sun protection as the above-mentioned straw hat.

I also just purchased a baseball cap with a zippered pocket. I thought it might be nice to wear to the pool onboard since it would hold my seapass. Of course, it occurs to me that this was not my most practical choice because ALL my swimsuit cover ups have pockets. I would never store my ship ID in a hat for an island stop -- too easy to have it blow off -- so, again, this might not've been my wisest purchase ever.

I just got this one from Coolibar in the white and blue. I love that it has a brim all the way around and a ponytail hole, with a Velcro adjustment. The fabric is soft and silky and smooth as can be. It also folds completely flat. Definitely going to the Panama Canal with me in December. 50 SPF too.

http://www.coolibar.com/product/Reversible-Pool-Hat/156053.uts?keyword=pool%20hat

I just got this one from Coolibar in the white and blue. I love that it has a brim all the way around and a ponytail hole, with a Velcro adjustment. The fabric is soft and silky and smooth as can be. It also folds completely flat. Definitely going to the Panama Canal with me in December. 50 SPF too.

http://www.coolibar.com/product/Reversible-Pool-Hat/156053.uts?keyword=pool%20hat

Love the blue and white. I like that it comes down on the head so much - looks like it would be less likely to blow off.

Love the blue and white. I like that it comes down on the head so much - looks like it would be less likely to blow off.

It does fit down on the head and if you have long enough hair for any kind of a ponytail, that helps anchor it as well. I love that I can wear a hat and have my hair up off my neck. I hate that feeling in hot weather.

• 2 months later...
Thank you!

I also have this basic hat that I found packs and crushes and pops back into shape that matches the majority of the clothes I take on a cruise. Then, I have several "bands" and flowers and so forth that I can interchange with my wardrobe. One of my favorite embellishments is this ocean-print Coach scarf. Really fun!!

Hi,

Where did you get your hat? I am looking for a crushable straw hat that I can get wet, too. Love the design of your hat. I need something to wear on my cruise for port days and for the beach. I like the idea of changing the band, etc, to give it a different look.

I bought a sunhat on our last cruise with an open top, it was cute but when I saw pics of myself felt so old lol

Just bought this Coach reversible bucket at the Tanger outlet, luckily it was 50% off the already reduced price & compared to the original price it was a steal.

$T2eC16ZHJGMFFo(+jgDoBR9H-z,65w~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16VHJGYFFlKhOL+lBR9H-1SnlQ~~60_57.JPG?rt=nc

Then I saw this one on ebay really cheap and had to have it, it rolls up to fit easily in a bag when not in use. Will probably switch between the two.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-New-Fashion-Woman-Wide-Brim-Roll-Up-Sun-Straw-Beach-Hat-Visor-Cap-Foldable/230728844973?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D312886825960921741%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D400197585926%26

$T2eC16ZHJGYE9noojej+BR)++0lfN!~~60_3.JPG?rt=nc

This is the hat I bought at the craft show. It is made out of seagrass and is hand washable and crushable. You pull the cord to tighten it up on your head.

9432488528_a50124a743.jpg

I really like this, too! I'm going to look it up. I'm glad I found this thread. Thanks!

Archived