Why Has Quantum Dissapointed Some?

Why are so many people assuming that there won't be a Royal Promenade? Did RCL announce that there wasn't a Promenade? There are still so many aspects of the ship that haven't yet been announced. If you look at the deck plans you will see that there is an opening in the center of decks six, seven and eight which is what you see on the deck plans on ships with the promenade. Also RCL adviced in a webinar with agents that the QOS would have a Promenade.

Maybe everyone should wait until all aspects of the ship have been disclosed before complaining about what she does or doesn't have. Just my opinion. :)

This is interesting. I read there is no Royal Promenade but apparently there was a webinar that indicated differently.

I really hope there is one onboard.

If you have any other info, would love to hear about it.

Thanks!

I had such a let down just few minutes ago. I called RCCL to book a cruise. I thought I did not know how to look at the deck plan but I understood that all that we love such the Royal Promenade, Promenade cafe, so many people's hang out, and Park Cafe, Central park and not even sure about the out door theater (didn't get to that) are not in this new ship. So I asked what does it have that I may like something like of the above and the Rep. could not come up with any thing other than two270 or something like that. Also the prices are expensive so I think I'm going to just wait for now. I just came back from a cruise with "next cruise" certificate ready to book. Also NJ I need to keep in mind the weather since we have to fly and don't need to deal with snow and plain delays

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. It probably does makes sense for you to wait it out and see if Quantum is a good fit for you.

So let's see....

1) Port of Origin is Cape Liberty - most of the cruises available for booking so far are from Nov - February. FRIGGIN COLD most of the time. Who wants to pack winter clothes for a Caribbean cruise? Seriously?

2) On the 7 or 8 day cruises - 4 days spent cruising without a destination - 40% -50% of the cruise just getting to and back from the Caribbean - for the same price as other cruises that offer more time at destinations.

3) Plenty of unknown about the entertainment, amenities (besides the new gimmick items), menus/food, onboard fees/costs.

So far WOW seems to mean Watch Our Wallets.

Maybe once Anthem is out (and hopefully ported further South)...we'll see better pricing - and also reduced pricing on the Oasis class ships as well.

I think we all got the hint that you are not impressed with the Quantum, get off the soap box about things being home ported further south. It almost feels like that every other word you post has that hidden message.

Go sail on other ships that are home ported in florida !!! I for one didn't think the pricing was all that bad and the money so of us are going to save by not having to fly, get a hotel, or even a rental car is even a bigger savings....

I think we all got the hint that you are not impressed with the Quantum, get off the soap box about things being home ported further south. It almost feels like that every other word you post has that hidden message.

Go sail on other ships that are home ported in florida !!! I for one didn't think the pricing was all that bad and the money so of us are going to save by not having to fly, get a hotel, or even a rental car is even a bigger savings....

I agree....I don't think pricing was too bad especially given the fact it's an eight day inaugural sailing over the holiday. :D:cool::)

So let's see....

2) On the 7 or 8 day cruises - 4 days spent cruising without a destination - 40% -50% of the cruise

just getting to and back from the Caribbean - for the same price as other cruises that

offer more time at destinations.

Maybe once Anthem is out (and hopefully ported further South)...we'll see better pricing - and also

reduced pricing on the Oasis class ships as well.

Anthem will takeover from Quantum and keeps going south for the time being

Quantum then heads North at least up to Portland (The Maniac one) .There is a press release

out there somewhere.

It does not make sense to me that beside a few months of the year that

the Quantum class will do warm weather ports. They have been designed

for cooler weather.

Incredible as it may seem there is more and more interest in, above and below 40 deg.

You know people want to go and see the End of the World happening, at the end of the World.

Even "The World" went around the Northwest Passage in 2012.

There's no doubt there's at least some kind of market for the current home port situation with Quantum. I sincerely hope your enjoy your scheduled cruise on this new ship.

Perhaps there will be some lessons learned, and Anthem will receive a modified approach.

All that said, it is not reasonable to assume that another substantial portion of the cruising market sees Quantum costing far more just to get to and from popular destinations. Yes - Quantum has some interesting new features - but not enough to offset paying for 4 days out at sea alone.

Since all this is new, it is reasonable to assume that things could still change in the future. RC has modified ports, destinations, itineraries, and other things with other ships in the past.

In the meantime, hopefully those who have booked find themselves enjoying what they've paid for.

Clapping like a maniac and cheering! It's about time we Northerners got a new ship to sail on!

Anthem will takeover from Quantum and keeps going south for the time being

Quantum then heads North at least up to Portland (The Maniac one) .There is a press release

out there somewhere.

It does not make sense to me that beside a few months of the year that

the Quantum class will do warm weather ports. They have been designed

for cooler weather.

Incredible as it may seem there is more and more interest in, above and below 40 deg.

You know people want to go and see the End of the World happening, at the end of the World.

Even "The World" went around the Northwest Passage in 2012.

The Quantum will ( visit) in Portland Maine in the End of September - October 2015.

It's scheduled for 4 Visits. The Anthem will remain in Southampton.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/06/business/futuristic-quantum-class-cruise-ship-to-be-largest-ever-to-visit-portland-when-it-arrives-in-2015/

I guess I will have to wait to see if I am truly disappointed or not with the track/walk being on the top floor out in the open. I really loved the track on the Allure and Oasis being on the 5th floor out of the general public view.

If it rained we could still use it. And it wasn't in the direct sunlight.

I am not sure about leaving from N.J/NY area either. I liked being in Fla. in nice warm weather the day before our trip. We haven't decided to fly or drive.

What would be cost effective. Weather would be a problem flying or driving so

still don't know what to do. And not knowing what is safe to stay at a hotel and leaving our car there for a week.

At least a few trips will be posted before we go in late Jan. 2015.

But I will keep an open mind about the new ship . Just wish they would

post more information like what play they will have and other entertainment to expect.

I hope if they have the Brazilian restaurant that they have the full buffet they have with other restaurants throughout the U.S. We were really disappointed with the one on the Allure. I wouldn't waste my money on one again .

We are not disappointed. Different ships for different folks. We are not flowrider people but DH is stoked for the ripcord and the North start sounds fun to us. Maybe even one of those sunrise/sunset times. We like different things about all the classes of ships. Loved the little Empress. Fond Memories of Sovreign class. Radiance class is my favorite. Not crazy about NYC but it is okay to visit - just not in the winter which is why we booked April. Still cool/cold but maybe no snow.

For me, I think that I just had my hopes set too high that there would be more innovation regarding design (I still think the Oasis design with the neighborhoods was brilliant). I had it in my head that RCI said this ship woulf be a whole new way of cruising, and I interpreted that to mean changes in dining, rooms, etc.

I think I just expected too much.

Then, when they made their big reveal, they seemed to focus on more gimmicky stuff. Bumper cars! Floating in the air! The big arm thing! and I was like.... meh. This is what I waited for?

That said, as I continue to hear more, I get more excited. I agreed with another poster who said that the "multiple use" goal is smart. I think that two60 room is going to be really something else, and to some extent may take the place of the people-watching hub that was once reserved for the promenade. I am also excited with new room choices (singles, families) and have high hopes that a food revamp is still to be announced.

Will I miss The Boardwalk and the park? Yep. But onward and upward to new things. I'm keeping an open mind.

We are not disappointed. Different ships for different folks. We are not flowrider people but DH is stoked for the ripcord and the North start sounds fun to us. Maybe even one of those sunrise/sunset times. We like different things about all the classes of ships. Loved the little Empress. Fond Memories of Sovreign class. Radiance class is my favorite. Not crazy about NYC but it is okay to visit - just not in the winter which is why we booked April. Still cool/cold but maybe no snow.

I see you too are from Texas. Im glad Im not the only one doing this crazy thing, flying from Texas to NJ to cruise in the Caribbean. I cant say Im crazy about NYC either. I hope the ship is worth it. I did like Oasis, but reading here, people are acting like this ship is dissapointing and no better than Freedom, just a few new classes of categories of cabins.

I dont even know what the North start and sunrise/sunset thing is you are talking about. Heard the term, but dont know what it is yet. I came here thinking I would see some details about what these things are.

I would do the bumper cars. Are they free?

Is there a general link to information what these things are you mentioned? Hopefully more than a one line description.

Im starting to think Im sorry I came to this forum to read about the ship. So many negative posts. I was excited and all I read about here is how the ship doesnt meet expectations. I think Ill quit reading here so it doesnt spoil my fun.

I see you too are from Texas. Im glad Im not the only one doing this crazy thing, flying from Texas to NJ to cruise in the Caribbean. I cant say Im crazy about NYC either. I hope the ship is worth it. I did like Oasis, but reading here, people are acting like this ship is dissapointing and no better than Freedom, just a few new classes of categories of cabins.

I dont even know what the North start and sunrise/sunset thing is you are talking about. Heard the term, but dont know what it is yet. I came here thinking I would see some details about what these things are.

I would do the bumper cars. Are they free?

Is there a general link to information what these things are you mentioned? Hopefully more than a one line description.

Im starting to think Im sorry I came to this forum to read about the ship. So many negative posts. I was excited and all I read about here is how the ship doesnt meet expectations. I think Ill quit reading here so it doesnt spoil my fun.

It's best to ignore those posts. Very little has been released about this ship. Some people just feel the need to have something to complain about. We read the same type comments about the Oasis in the early stages.

It's best to ignore those posts. Very little has been released about this ship. Some people just feel the need to have something to complain about. We read the same type comments about the Oasis in the early stages.

I know you personally are so helpfull. I dont come to the RCL threads very often, I just dont feel comfortable here. The last time I came here was when C&A put the wrong code for a June promo on my booking and I had to come to CC and it could have been you and another who figured out what they should have put in to get it fixed. so thanks. You saved a booking for me once before.

My roll call people are all excited so I came here to see more about the ship.

I am just surprised how many Debbie Downer posts there are. I thought people would be all excited the way they were for oasis, but apparantly not. Heck, my roll call people are already volunteering their cabins for the cabin crawl. lol

thanks for your words .. I was just so surprised. Its the first time to come here and read about the ship and the attitude was so different than on my roll call.

I am just surprised how many Debbie Downer posts there are. I thought people would be all excited the way they were for oasis, but apparantly not. Heck, my roll call people are already volunteering their cabins for the cabin crawl. lol

thanks for your words .. I was just so surprised. Its the first time to come here and read about the ship and the attitude was so different than on my roll call.

It is surprising and unfortunate, but as gator said, not unprecedented. Don't let them spoil your fun.

I know you personally are so helpfull. I dont come to the RCL threads very often, I just dont feel comfortable here. The last time I came here was when C&A put the wrong code for a June promo on my booking and I had to come to CC and it could have been you and another who figured out what they should have put in to get it fixed. so thanks. You saved a booking for me once before.

Stick around. There are plenty of us that are excited about this ship and cruising in general. :)

I agree as the others have stated ignore the naysayers. The roll calls are filled with excited cruisers that have already begun planning activities for a ship that over a year and a half from making her debut.

For RCI to immediately decide to build a 3rd ship before the first one has been completed should be a clear indication people are very interested to sail on one of these ships. :cool::)

Sometime ago in the meet and mingles on the EOS, it was said that there would be a sunshine class which would include covered pools as Carnival and Cunard have out of New York Harbor. Shur enuf as near as I can determine, there will be covered pools on the QOS. I liked the "free" covered pool on the Queen Victoria, but, alo and alas, the same pool on the Queen Elizabeth was on a extra charge basis. I wonder if there will be so many people opting for the covered pools on the QOS that there will be an extra charge?

The ship has gotta fit under the Verrazano Bridge and, hopefully, into some ports that the Allure cannot fit into. I think the size is a good compromise, but was probably determined by the size of the river that connects the shipyard to the sea in Germany. So gone is the RVL and the Royal Prom in order to accommodate all the people that make the ship profitable.

It was a typo North start should have been North Star. This is the big long "arm" that will reach up and out over the ocean with room for 14 people to sit and look out. It will be free except for private parties and some sunrise/sunset times that might include food or snacks is what I have read. I hate heights but I think this will be really cool.

We really do not need bells and whistles - we like all of royal ships. We are looking forward though to a longer cruise out of a US port. 7 days just isn't long enough for us!

Obviously different people like different things. There are plenty of folks who still book the vision class even though those ships are older and don't have the wow factor.

I agree. Our roll call is awesome!

Archived