Why Has Quantum Dissapointed Some?

I was wondering why ‘Quantum’ has picked up some negativecomments, even from RCI fans, so I have given it some though.

Oasis really was a game changer. Being twice as big as manycruise ships out there, with a wide superstructure, RCI had the room toexperiment with new public spaces, the likes we had never seen before.

The split-superstructure allowed then to create CentralPark, the Boardwalk and the Aqua Theatre, with unique cabins overlooking thesefeatures. If that was not enough, allfavourites from the Voyager/Freedom classes were added: the royal Vikinglounge, the Royal Promenade (now wider, with some natural light), Studio B, andFlow-riders.

Oasis was a bit like a smash hit single: very difficult tofollow up!

RCI obviously want a range of ships. One size/type does notfit all and I guess they also cannot keep building bigger and bigger ships,forever. Some passengers regard ‘Oasis’as simply being too big. In addition Oasis was designed for the Caribbean; sheis also not suitable for operation everywhere.

The minute that I heard that Quantum would be smaller thanOasis (although she will actually be the second biggest cruise ship class inthe world) I knew that she would be a very different ‘beast’ from ‘Oasis’. Not having the split-hull design, there wasunlikely to be room for a Park, Boardwalk or Aqua-theatre. Would she even have a Royal Promenade or StudioB?

RCI could NOT easily wow us with vast new spaces, as ‘space’itself would be more limited on-board Quantum. What they have done is include some new innovations such as North Star and th esports-orientated RipCord and SeaPlex. Cleverly many ofthese features are on the upper decks so are not using up internal space.

However, I think that the main reason that some people havebeen critical is that many of the features revealed so far appeal to families, kidsand the young at heart. They do notnecessarily appeal to us ‘regular’ adults.

Don’t despair; there is a lot more to be revealed includingthe dining and entertainment options!

I was wondering why ‘Quantum’ has picked up some negativecomments, even from RCI fans, so I have given it some though.

Oasis really was a game changer. Being twice as big as manycruise ships out there, with a wide superstructure, RCI had the room toexperiment with new public spaces, the likes we had never seen before.

The split-superstructure allowed then to create CentralPark, the Boardwalk and the Aqua Theatre, with unique cabins overlooking thesefeatures. If that was not enough, allfavourites from the Voyager/Freedom classes were added: the royal Vikinglounge, the Royal Promenade (now wider, with some natural light), Studio B, andFlow-riders.

Oasis was a bit like a smash hit single: very difficult tofollow up!

RCI obviously want a range of ships. One size/type does notfit all and I guess they also cannot keep building bigger and bigger ships,forever. Some passengers regard ‘Oasis’as simply being too big. In addition Oasis was designed for the Caribbean; sheis also not suitable for operation everywhere.

The minute that I heard that Quantum would be smaller thanOasis (although she will actually be the second biggest cruise ship class inthe world) I knew that she would be a very different ‘beast’ from ‘Oasis’. Not having the split-hull design, there wasunlikely to be room for a Park, Boardwalk or Aqua-theatre. Would she even have a Royal Promenade or StudioB?

RCI could NOT easily wow us with vast new spaces, as ‘space’itself would be more limited on-board Quantum. What they have done is include some new innovations such as North Star and th esports-orientated RipCord and SeaPlex. Cleverly many ofthese features are on the upper decks so are not using up internal space.

However, I think that the main reason that some people havebeen critical is that many of the features revealed so far appeal to families, kidsand the young at heart. They do notnecessarily appeal to us ‘regular’ adults.

Don’t despair; there is a lot more to be revealed includingthe dining and entertainment options!

I agree, I was totally excited about the Quantum and especially sailing from my home state of NJ. I'm both excited and disappointed about different aspects of the ship (North Star, regular JS) but that won't keep me from sailing on her. Looking forward to RCI revealing more soon and getting more information about the different cabin types. We are sailing on Freedom of the Seas during the C&A Early booking. I want to make an appointment to talk to a vacation planner about all the cabin options and see what fits our needs most. Keeping my hopes up for sure! :p

With a new ship people always have a vision of what they are hoping to see on it. For some Quantum succeeds, and goes beyond what they had hoped for, others feel it doesn't offer the things they love about Royal Caribbean. Thus it's either excitement or disappointment.

I believe...just like Oasis, that even a lot of those that are disappointed with what has been revealed about Quantum so far will one day cruise it or Anthem. Once we see all the info including dining, entertainment etc and reviews start to roll in after the 1st sailings, many (not all) people will decided to give it a try, at least once.

While Oasis and Allure are surely a tough act to follow (understatement of the year), they're simply too big to operate very many places so kudos to RCI for building a smaller new build (rather than the general industry trend of bigger bigger bigger) that can operate more widely. They could have built another 200,000+ grt ship, redesigned it, and called it "Quantum," but when it was sent to Miami (if she could even fit there) or Ft. L to do the same ol' itineraries as Oasis, people would grumble about that.

I, for one, look forward to seeing them reveal THE OTHER HALF OF THE SHIP that they haven't even told us about yet!

I think that for me, part of the disappointment was the amount of time between announcing the name and announcing the features. For me, when they announced the name, I was insanely excited. I checked multiple times a day to see if they were finally announcing the features and whatnot. But a really long time passed between the two, and some of the allure of it wore off a bit. I was still excited, but not nearly at the same level as if they would have announced it maybe a week after announcing the name. I think that they blew the timeline.

Don't get me wrong... I will still do everything in my power to sail on her and I will have an amazing time. But it just doesn't have the same feel as when the Oasis came out.

I think the problem is that too many people wanted to see a Freedom class clone with all the Oasis features. This ship is only 14,000 GT larger than the Freedom Class. Think about that, the Freedom class was 16,000 GT larger than the Voyager class and all that added was a Flow Rider and H20 Zone. It was impossible for Royal Caribbean to fit 75,000 GT of Oasis features into this ship. That is why we got something new and unique. If you don't like the fact that X, Y, or Z aren't onboard, guess what the Freedom Class still exists at about the same size with all those classic features. Royal Caribbean is not taking anything away from anyone, they are just adding another design option. As a bonus if you hate NYC, as so many seem to on here, you will never even have to deal with her.

Sorry had to vent a bit, but I think it was accurate.

I, for one, look forward to seeing them reveal THE OTHER HALF OF THE SHIP that they haven't even told us about yet!

Same here. What disappointed me was, this is Project Sunshine. I expected the initial reveal to be synonomous with the project name....showcasing the Solarium, indoor pool, and other potential venues (in addition to Two70) supporting the Sunshine theme. I also expected the main show to be revealed, considering they focused so much on the Godmother.

HERE, HERE to all the many intelligent and insightful responses so far!

I side with much of what has been stated above me. People wanted much of what they fell in love with on the Oasis class AND MORE, but it needed to be on a ship that is small enough to venture into many more ports with a broader itinerary than the Oasis. You can't fit a 10 inch square into a 7 inch hole... the math doesn't compute. Some things had to give and that has people disappointed. The difference between the Oasis reveal and the Quantum reveal is that back then people were basing everything they expected/wanted to see in the Oasis off of the Freedom class and they were blown away over how much more was added to a ship of the Oasis class size. NOW, people are basing their expectations/wants off of what is found in the massive Oasis class ships and are disappointed at what has been removed or changed in lieu of a smaller ship. Hence, why many seem to be disappointed.

I will admit that I don't LOVE everything I've seen about the Quantum, but truthfully I can't judge those things that don't appeal to me until I either try them out for myself or at least read many varying reviews on people who have. The Northstar thing seems a bit weird, but when I see some of the CGI pictures of what it will look like from inside, I admit it's pretty cool and I suspect it will be a hit... more so than the 10 second zip line on the Oasis. I also don't really want to ride in a bumper car, but families with kids and teens will LOVE that feature and I realize that a ship must cater to all ages. I DO think that the roller rink and the circus school will be something that is well used (even more so than the ice rink) and YES we are giving up the ice shows (which were FANTASTIC on the Allure), but we still don't know everything that is to come regarding the Seaplex and what else it will offer (like the more to come area adjacent to it).

In fact, there is SO much we DON'T know about MOST of the ship.

People LOVE Quest... perhaps they will do some more fun, interactive Quest types of events in the Seaplex. We loved the Prohibition Party on the Allure, but hated the environment it was held in... I think the Music Hall will do SUCH A BETTER JOB holding this kind of event or something similar. Truthfully, that's what I really see about this ship that will be unique. There are SO many places to hold interactive or show like activities. Yes, we are losing the Aquatheater, but we are gaining Two70 which will have fun Blue Planet type of entertainment during the evening and that innovative projection system that will attract people nightly. I can really see them trying to get people to events, shows and activities on this ship and having a GREAT time. AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN THE ENTERTAINMENT RELEASED YET.

I also think it's BRILLIANT that they are multi-purposing different venues. I know some feel that it cramps their style to have to schedule themselves around the availability of venues, but if you think about it, I think RCL has done their research... when are certain venues almost always EMPTY AND UNUSED and whenever that timeframe is, put SOMETHING ELSE there to attract people. By doing this, you are dispersing the crowd around the ship AND you are giving people a WIDER variety of things to do.

Take Central Park, for instance. It's almost always EMPTY during the day, but everyone LOVES it at night. Basketball courts are almost always busy at day, but empty at night. At sea, real estate comes at the utmost premium and ALL space must be used to the fullest... simplest solution... MULTIPURPOSE your areas. Well done RCL!

And as for the areas that have been "sacrificed" (VCL for one). I don't mean to upset or offend, but no matter how traditional or nostalgic a venue is on a ship, if it's hardly used, then CHANGE IT. How awesome that they didn't completely do away with the concept, but just revamped the venue to attract more people in an effort to make an empty, practically defunct space into an exciting place to be. Yes, the forward views swapped for aft, but you can still find those relaxing and awesome views in the Solarium and NOW there is a place to relax and enjoy those coveted aft views.

I think many of the naysayers will come around much like many of the NOOTS have. I'm just excited to sit back and wait for more reveals! I'm particularly excited to hear there will be many more specialty dining options as we LOVED eating in them each and every night while on the Allure. I'm excited to hear what they will be. I think something really different is coming down the pike regarding dining on this ship, perhaps something based off of NCL's freestyle dining (although I PRAY they don't do away with formal nights. I would love it if there were a formal dining room and a casual dining room... this way EVERYONE is happy :)).

I for one am a little disappointed that RCI have decided to scrub the royal promenade, as for all the other venues I have the same opinion as most on here, it's a new ship with new venues and new spaces. And just because I am personally disappointed with the removal of the royal promenade that doesn't mean to say that I am not looking forward to the release of Quantum of The Seas, because I am. And will certainly sail on her, probably not in her inaugural season, but I will get onboard at some point. I think something to remember is that everyone is totally entitled to their opinion and let's face it, RCI are never going to satisfy and impress everybody with every ship they introduce.

...I'm particularly excited to hear there will be many more specialty dining options as we LOVED eating in them each and every night while on the Allure. I'm excited to hear what they will be. I think something really different is coming down the pike regarding dining on this ship, perhaps something based off of NCL's freestyle dining (although I PRAY they don't do away with formal nights. I would love it if there were a formal dining room and a casual dining room... this way EVERYONE is happy :)).

That's what I'm waiting for as well. Don't see how the current deckplans could support a massive dinning room like on the Voyager class. I'm not a fan of freestyle but I would love a Disney Cruise Line style rotation. The Magic was our first cruise and that was a great compromise between the two styles.

I require just a few basic (fundamental actually) features for an enjoyable winter break cruise in the Caribbean.

Give me my wrap-around promenade deck to stroll or run a few circles and admire sea views from time to time.

Give me forward and aft looking observation decks to watch sea travel scenery.

Give me a separate open pool deck for adults.

Give me a balcony with no obstructions.

Give me overall good food and options for specialty dining.

Give me an extra treat - well equipped spa and gym.

Is it too much?

Is it something unique?

Give me just that and then add whatever you want, whatever "plex" you can imagine: seaplex, airplex, funplex.... I don't care about the rest.

It's up to me whether to join a crowd or enjoy my personal space on a cruise. This is my choice.

Choice = Class.

Less choice = Less class.

Ships like the Quantum destroy my personal space and limit my choice.

Please don't tell me "cruise on a different ship" - I know when and where to cruise and I am not asking for recommendations.

RCI Freedom class and Oasis class ships give me almost everything I want on a cruise.

What is the reason to cruise on the Quantum that limits my choice?

Answer: no reason. :)

It would be fine to take a 2 days cruise to nowhere from NYC to sample the new design.

But for a real cruise I would prefer a Royal Caribbean ship.

I side with much of what has been stated above me. People wanted much of what they fell in love with on the Oasis class AND MORE, but it needed to be on a ship that is small enough to venture into many more ports with a broader itinerary than the Oasis. You can't fit a 10 inch square into a 7 inch hole... the math doesn't compute. Some things had to give and that has people disappointed. The difference between the Oasis reveal and the Quantum reveal is that back then people were basing everything they expected/wanted to see in the Oasis off of the Freedom class and they were blown away over how much more was added to a ship of the Oasis class size. NOW, people are basing their expectations/wants off of what is found in the massive Oasis class ships and are disappointed at what has been removed or changed in lieu of a smaller ship. Hence, why many seem to be disappointed.

I will admit that I don't LOVE everything I've seen about the Quantum, but truthfully I can't judge those things that don't appeal to me until I either try them out for myself or at least read many varying reviews on people who have. The Northstar thing seems a bit weird, but when I see some of the CGI pictures of what it will look like from inside, I admit it's pretty cool and I suspect it will be a hit... more so than the 10 second zip line on the Oasis. I also don't really want to ride in a bumper car, but families with kids and teens will LOVE that feature and I realize that a ship must cater to all ages. I DO think that the roller rink and the circus school will be something that is well used (even more so than the ice rink) and YES we are giving up the ice shows (which were FANTASTIC on the Allure), but we still don't know everything that is to come regarding the Seaplex and what else it will offer (like the more to come area adjacent to it).

People LOVE Quest... perhaps they will do some more fun, interactive Quest types of events in the Seaplex. We loved the Prohibition Party on the Allure, but hated the environment it was held in... I think the Music Hall will do SUCH A BETTER JOB holding this kind of event or something similar. Truthfully, that's what I really see about this ship that will be unique. There are SO many places to hold interactive or show like activities. Yes, we are losing the Aquatheater, but we are gaining Two70 which will have fun Blue Planet type of entertainment during the evening and that innovative projection system that will attract people nightly. I can really see them trying to get people to events, shows and activities on this ship and having a GREAT time. AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN THE ENTERTAINMENT RELEASED YET.

I also think it's BRILLIANT that they are multi-purposing different venues. I know some feel that it cramps their style to have to schedule themselves around the availability of venues, but if you think about it, I think RCL has done their research... when are certain venues almost always EMPTY AND UNUSED and whenever that timeframe is, put SOMETHING ELSE there to attract people. By doing this, you are dispersing the crowd around the ship AND you are giving people a WIDER variety of things to do.

Take Central Park, for instance. It's almost always EMPTY during the day, but everyone LOVES it at night. Basketball courts are almost always busy at day, but empty at night. At sea, real estate comes at the utmost premium and ALL space must be used to the fullest... simplest solution... MULTIPURPOSE your areas. Well done RCL!

And as for the areas that have been "sacrificed" (VCL for one). I don't mean to upset or offend, but no matter how traditional or nostalgic a venue is on a ship, if it's hardly used, then CHANGE IT. How awesome that they didn't completely do away with the concept, but just revamped the venue to attract more people in an effort to make an empty, practically defunct space into an exciting place to be. Yes, the forward views swapped for aft, but you can still find those relaxing and awesome views in the Solarium and NOW there is a place to relax and enjoy those coveted aft views.

I think many of the naysayers will come around much like many of the NOOTS have. I'm just excited to sit back and wait for more reveals! I'm particularly excited to hear there will be many more specialty dining options as we LOVED eating in them each and every night while on the Allure. I'm excited to hear what they will be. I think something really different is coming down the pike regarding dining on this ship, perhaps something based off of NCL's freestyle dining (although I PRAY they don't do away with formal nights. I would love it if there were a formal dining room and a casual dining room... this way EVERYONE is happy :)).

I agree with you completely. Exactly what I would have said if I wanted to type! Can't wait to book it!

Great post!

I may be in a minority but I am disappointed that the traditional Royal Promenade on the newer ships will apparently will not be on the Quantum. That has been one of my favorite people watching place. Also my experience is that it was the most used space on the ship.

Apparently one of the disappointments according to a consensus of 60 cruiser's is Royal Caribbean's decision to base the ship in Bayonne, N.J. Those 60 people seem to think that it is a mistake to homeport the ship there and it will not be an economic success from Bayonne. I tend to think there are about 50+ million people out there that might beg to differ. And I am one of the 50+ million.

Take Central Park, for instance. It's almost always EMPTY during the day..

Where does this information come from?

Central park:

Park cafe (Lunch)

Giovanni's (Lunch)

An open version of RCI Royal Promenade

A convenient way along the ship instead of hallways.

ALL space must be used to the fullest

I can expect that from a cruise line bean counter but not from a consumer.

So-called "underused" space is an asset.

There must be places on a cruise ship where people can come to get rid of crowds, to enjoy privacy and the ship.

This is the way how these places are used.

• 1 month later...
Where does this information come from?

Central park:

Park cafe (Lunch)

Giovanni's (Lunch)

An open version of RCI Royal Promenade

A convenient way along the ship instead of hallways.

I can expect that from a cruise line bean counter but not from a consumer.

So-called "underused" space is an asset.

There must be places on a cruise ship where people can come to get rid of crowds, to enjoy privacy and the ship.

This is the way how these places are used.

Honestly, Central Park is one of my favorite places! Sure - sometimes there is not a ton of traffic, but it is definitely used throughout the day as posted above! My thoughts are that if some of the spaces aren't used as much as could be, they can have some things offered that might bring people in....but then again, it sure is nice to find some quiet spaces to meet friends or just hang out!! ;)

I require just a few basic (fundamental actually) features for an enjoyable winter break cruise in the Caribbean.

Give me my wrap-around promenade deck to stroll or run a few circles and admire sea views from time to time.

Give me forward and aft looking observation decks to watch sea travel scenery.

Give me a separate open pool deck for adults.

Give me a balcony with no obstructions.

Give me overall good food and options for specialty dining.

Give me an extra treat - well equipped spa and gym.

Is it too much?

Is it something unique?

Give me just that and then add whatever you want, whatever "plex" you can imagine: seaplex, airplex, funplex.... I don't care about the rest.

It's up to me whether to join a crowd or enjoy my personal space on a cruise. This is my choice.

Choice = Class.

Less choice = Less class.

Ships like the Quantum destroy my personal space and limit my choice.

Please don't tell me "cruise on a different ship" - I know when and where to cruise and I am not asking for recommendations.

RCI Freedom class and Oasis class ships give me almost everything I want on a cruise.

What is the reason to cruise on the Quantum that limits my choice?

Answer: no reason. :)

It would be fine to take a 2 days cruise to nowhere from NYC to sample the new design.

But for a real cruise I would prefer a Royal Caribbean ship.

Well said i agree with you. :)

So let's see....

1) Port of Origin is Cape Liberty - most of the cruises available for booking so far are from Nov - February. FRIGGIN COLD most of the time. Who wants to pack winter clothes for a Caribbean cruise? Seriously?

2) On the 7 or 8 day cruises - 4 days spent cruising without a destination - 40% -50% of the cruise just getting to and back from the Caribbean - for the same price as other cruises that offer more time at destinations.

3) Plenty of unknown about the entertainment, amenities (besides the new gimmick items), menus/food, onboard fees/costs.

So far WOW seems to mean Watch Our Wallets.

Maybe once Anthem is out (and hopefully ported further South)...we'll see better pricing - and also reduced pricing on the Oasis class ships as well.

I personally don't like how the superstructure is narrower than the hull. This is something I love about RCI over other cruise lines. Also not having a royal promenade seems crazy, that is something very unique to RCI that is really cool, fun and impressive and they are getting rid of it. It also seems like deck after deck of nothing but cabins, Oasis and Freedom have very few decks with nothing but cabins on them.

BTW: I am fairly excited about the stuff that has been announced so far, it just seems like they are getting rid of many uniquely RCI items that were well enjoyed (and I don't mean the viking crown).

I had such a let down just few minutes ago. I called RCCL to book a cruise. I thought I did not know how to look at the deck plan but I understood that all that we love such the Royal Promenade, Promenade cafe, so many people's hang out, and Park Cafe, Central park and not even sure about the out door theater (didn't get to that) are not in this new ship. So I asked what does it have that I may like something like of the above and the Rep. could not come up with any thing other than two270 or something like that. Also the prices are expensive so I think I'm going to just wait for now. I just came back from a cruise with "next cruise" certificate ready to book. Also NJ I need to keep in mind the weather since we have to fly and don't need to deal with snow and plain delays

Why are so many people assuming that there won't be a Royal Promenade? Did RCL announce that there wasn't a Promenade? There are still so many aspects of the ship that haven't yet been announced. If you look at the deck plans you will see that there is an opening in the center of decks six, seven and eight which is what you see on the deck plans on ships with the promenade. Also RCL adviced in a webinar with agents that the QOS would have a Promenade.

Maybe everyone should wait until all aspects of the ship have been disclosed before complaining about what she does or doesn't have. Just my opinion. :)

Archived