“cruise-sized” ports

AFuncruiser

For our family, lots of shops right at the port is a plus. My father in law is in a wheelchair and he enjoys cruising. He can get off the ship for a while and browse and people watch with my mother in law while the rest of us explore. We try to find things he can do away from the port, but that's not always possible.

I don't think anybody is complaining about there being shopping in general. It's more that it is almost like all the ports are buying the same port from Ports-R-Us.

Compare it to driving down an interstate somewhere in the states. You get off at one exit and there's a McDonald's, a Burger King, a Cracker Barrel, etc. You get back on and go to the next exit and find the same thing. You go two states away and again the same thing.

I'm not sure when you last visited Belize or Costa Maya, but the cookie cutter has made it's way to both of these ports.

I've only ever been to two ports in the Caribbean that don't have the cookie cutter port areas. One was in Guatemala, which I don't think any cruise lines visit anymore. Other was Dominica, which was an absolutely spectacular place to visit!

How about Progresso?

Any more cruising we do out of Fl is strictly for relaxation on board ship. Since I live at the beach in Fl the ports don't have a beach attraction for me. If you are coming down from Maine or Michigan or anywhere there is no ocean and a lot of snow during the winter I can understand the excitement just like mountains are a nice change of environment for me. Also the great majority of the ports have the same tired jewlery, T-shirt, liquor, and cheap trinket stores. I expect to see Wal-Mart and a Jiffy Lube among them in the near future. I'm not saying they are bad just boring once you have been unless you like the repetition.

Now if the cruise is in Europe or some exotic place then the ports are not as artificial and there is opportunity to explore more unique venues.

Cheers!

I'm a little beside myself on this one... I don't like seeing the DI or Del Sol shops at every stop either, BUT would you rather it be a Wal-Mart or McDonalds? I'll take the DI or Del Sols any day as we don't have them here. I buy a magnet for my tool box, make my way past the shops, and then head to beaches or excursions. I don't cruise to shop.

Belize... cookie cutter?! Yea, theres trinket shops that sell corny souvenirs, but not anywhere near the extent of other ports. Unless things have changed that much in 5 months.

OP, i do understand what you are saying, the point is there are the same shops in every port now, used to be all local vendors that would hand make each item, i have some nice carved items from back when the port at roatan was not one big chain mall. So like others have said, i now don't buy much...just walk by and head out to an excursion.

Looking at the OP's cruise history, I took it as he was noticing how the ports have physically changed. After 47 cruises, I'm sure he has noticed more stores and restaurants pop up in the area where the ships dock. Maybe he was thinking back to when people could get off the ship and see the island, not a shopping district.

OP--if that's not what you meant, sorry for putting words in your mouth. I didn't take it as a reason not to visit those ports, just a commentary on how things have changed over the years.

If you've got a pair of functioning feet, use them! I was on the same itinerary as you a month ago and we found something interesting everywhere. Did you walk around Basseterre, St. Kitts? On the surface it's not the most beautiful little city but it is very interesting just to get our and see where and how people live.

I don't even like to catch a cab "inside the wire" of the cruise terminal area. You'll usually get a better rate outside and as long as it's a licensed cab, every bit as good (maybe just not as politically connected as the people "inside".)

I hate the homogenization and Americanization of many of the islands but if you expend a little energy you can easily find unique and interesting places.

Basseterre-247.jpg

Roman Catholic Cathedral at the Eastern end of Basseterre

If you've got a pair of functioning feet, use them!

I was on the same itinerary as you a month ago and we found something interesting everywhere.

Did you walk around Basseterre, St. Kitts? On the surface it's not the most beautiful little city

but it is very interesting just to get out and see where and how people live.

I don't even like to catch a cab "inside the wire" of the cruise terminal area.

You'll usually get a better rate outside and as long as it's a licensed cab,

every bit as good (maybe just not as politically connected as the people "inside".)

I hate the homogenization and Americanization of many of the islands

but if you expend a little energy you can easily find unique and interesting places.

As someone who has lived his life in the Caribbean islands

and yet has a double-life as a cruiser as well, I must agree with you!

Inside the wire, it's all quite contrived to Get Your Dollar.

Step outside the wire (using your head and street smarts)

there are several unique and interesting things to be found in all Caribbean ports of call.

At Basseterre St.Kitts I stumbled across Sahaley's -an old store which is a blast from my past!!

Barbados too had a Sahaley's store:

I remember my mother going there back in the 50s and 60s, but that's gone now.

The name was familiar, but the store itself was somewhat museum-like to my eyes

-the way things used to be in the West Indies, half a century ago!

Also at Basseterre are two Cathedrals, Anglican and Roman Catholic: we've now visited both

including me finding my way into the little room behind the big ole church organ in one of them, to see all the workings!

Where else can you do that??

ChurchOrgan-889.jpg

Organ in the Anglican Cathedral at Basseterre: this is just the front bit!

Venture forth. Beyond the wire!

I'd love more ideas like this for every port, if anyone is willing to share. In Nassau, we gave ourselves an historical walking tour from a map that was available online and then took the water taxi to Paradise Island and walked to the Cloisters. In Roatan, we took a private Bodden tour that hit some "tourist" spots but also let us see various aspects of real life on the island, including giving donations to an orphanage and a beach much different from the Carnival beach.

No matter where you go, cruise or not, you will see American stores and fast food, but so many unique things too. We saw Wal-Mart and Burger King in Costa Rica far from any cruise port, but we followed the locals and ate at a small out of the way, outdoor bar with children running around and a begging dog.

Archived