Is the North Star growing on you?

The North Star feature is really starting to grow on me. When I first saw it, I thought it was the most ridicules looking thing and concept. What in the world was RC thinking about? But the more I think about it, the more appealing it becomes, especially for photo possibilities. Now, I can't wait to get on with my DSLR, and telephoto lens. Can you imagine the amazing point of views it will allow?

For me, the vote's still out on that one.....I can see inherent engineering problems with speed and wind speed...and...I might be a little apprehensive about getting in it, but I agree, the views would be outstanding.:D

YES! It's growing on me! At first I thought it was totally stupid, but then I've seen some of their PR photos and have to admit the aerial photos and views from the inside of it look awesome. It's still a bit of an eyesore to me overall, but the photo ops might end up completely swaying me in the long run. :)

For me, the vote's still out on that one.....I can see inherent engineering problems with speed and wind speed...and...

Seems a little crazy to me for the above reasons.

It is a bit like films , music etc

"Good as the most silliest person Involved"

I've enjoyed the view from the London Eye!

I've enjoyed being at the top of the Empire State building!

I've enjoyed climbing the crown of the Statue of Liberty!

I've enjoyed standing at the top of the Eiffel Tower!

And I look forward to enjoying the view from the North Star on the Quantum!

The North Star feature is really starting to grow on me. When I first saw it, I thought it was the most ridicules looking thing and concept. What in the world was RC thinking about? But the more I think about it, the more appealing it becomes, especially for photo possibilities. Now, I can't wait to get on with my DSLR, and telephoto lens. Can you imagine the amazing point of views it will allow?

No, it's not growing on me.

The crane with a capsule is an exciting addition - that's my impression from the first glance. No need, no space to grow.

Seems weird too me, in the sense that it's on the top deck and if you're walking around the eye is hovering above you.

I'm hoping that the engine or mechanisim to move it around isn't loud. I'm sure it'll be state-of-the-art.

I'd go on, happy to hear that it will be wheelchair-accessible for my Dad.

I think the views will be amazing, but I think it is an eyesore. It isn't really growing on me.

If it is operational while at sea (which indications are they intend it to be), it sure is going to ruin a few balcony club member's days! :D Probably not quite the view most will be expecting from the North Star!

I'm not a fan of the North Star really. I agree it does look like a crane was left on top of the ship. I just think it will be down more than up with all the high winds we experience normally being at sea. What comes to mind is the Aqua Show and how they have to continually cancel it due to high winds for the divers. Thinking it may be the same thing here but who knows?

I really hope it tests negatively during the trials and they remove it. If they leave it on the ship, well.....I know I probably won't try it. I guess we will have to wait and see how it all pans out. Should be very interesting. :rolleyes:;)

Does the arm rest anywhere when not in use? Or is it forever sticking out? What if the arm mechanism gives?

I am sure the view will be great and it will be pretty cool to ride.

Overall the verdict is still out but I have say that thing is just ugly. A pig tail.

I've enjoyed the view from the London Eye!

I've enjoyed being at the top of the Empire State building!

I've enjoyed climbing the crown of the Statue of Liberty!

I've enjoyed standing at the top of the Eiffel Tower!

And I look forward to enjoying the view from the North Star on the Quantum!

IMO, lifting people up a few decks on a crane arm pales in comparison to your other examples.

I admit that it will provide you with amazing views of THE SHIP, is that what it is intended for?.....but what would be the difference of the view of the sea than looking straight off of the ship? Middle of the ocean is middle of the ocean, no?:)

I read that it will be used while in port. Those are the views I most look forward to.

Maybe they haven't disclosed the real Wow feature. The arm could telescope out and an extra joint will allow the North Star to reach down to the terminal building at Cape Liberty. Then, you could avoid the bus ride (for a modest fee).:D

Maybe they haven't disclosed the real Wow feature. The arm could telescope out and an extra joint will allow the North Star to reach down to the terminal building at Cape Liberty. Then, you could avoid the bus ride (for a modest fee).:D

Haha. I would pay extra for that.

Good idea, Keasel. :/

Truthfully, when I first saw it, I thought it was the stupidest idea a cruise line has ever thought of for an "amenity" on a cruise ship. And guess what? I still do. It's not growing on me.

All I can think is how much did this thing cost to engineer and build; and is it free to ride or will there be a charge to offset the undoubtedly exorbitant cost to develop this crazy feature. Wonder where that money could have been spent instead.

Secondly, considering the seas between NJ and the Caribbean, this feature has the potential to be as much of a waste on a cruise ship in the stormy, windy, choppy northerly Atlantic as the Lawn on the Solstice Class Celebrity ships. That means that potentially for the 5 or 6 sea days on a 12-night cruise, this thing will not be used. Waste.

I believe Royal will think better of this feature for future ship builds and not include it.:(

Archived