Is the North Star growing on you?

The North Star feature is really starting to grow on me. When I first saw it, I thought it was the most ridicules looking thing and concept. What in the world was RC thinking about? But the more I think about it, the more appealing it becomes, especially for photo possibilities. Now, I can't wait to get on with my DSLR, and telephoto lens. Can you imagine the amazing point of views it will allow?

I THINK IT IS still the most ridicules looking thing and concept.:eek:

they didnt even make it appealing looking. And what happens if you are on it and there is a mechanical problem. 15 people stuck in a bubble for days no food and water or bathroom = yikes. so many other things they could have put on the ship to appeal to people. like a sunning carousel. loungers that are up on the top deck that rotate slowly so you get and even tan. Kind of like the restaurant in epcot that rotates. They would have had alot of sunners enjoying that one. i think that the north star isa once and done thing. once you did it no reason to try again - and not sure i would try in first place.

I don't really like the concept, seems like they could've done something better. I also don't want people to be able to look into my balcony all day.

I also wonder if it'll be free, if so, how long will lines be? I could see having to wait in line forever, only to be very let down.

Nope. Thought it was ugly and unbecoming of an RCL ship on day one. Still think that. Now, if you put a Bar in there and make it a pseudo VCL, then we're talking. Still would look like crap though.

It will be interesting to see if this thing is even usable at all while underway at sea. I imagine without some kind of gyro-leveling and/or a heavy duty hydraulic shock absorber, people up there will be rockin' whenever the ship is in moderate seas or winds. If you thought you were susceptible to seasickness before, wait till you get swinging around up there in high seas.

Personally, it is not growing on me and I'm thinking it will be, at best, a novelty similar to the rising-tide bar... less the bar.:rolleyes:

For me it is an eyesore. I would have rather RCI left it off.

I can see inherent engineering problems with speed and wind speed... but I agree, the views would be outstanding.:D

I think it is an eyesore as well.

I also wonder how reliable it will be, relating to repair and maintenance as well as safety. If the rising tide bar comes to a stop, no big deal. The North Star on the other hand is a bit bigger situation if you are at the full outstreached location.

Now as for the views, would you be able to see onto peoples balconies as well as into cabins? :eek:

Andrew

The North Star feature is really starting to grow on me. When I first saw it, I thought it was the most ridicules looking thing and concept. What in the world was RC thinking about? But the more I think about it, the more appealing it becomes, especially for photo possibilities. Now, I can't wait to get on with my DSLR, and telephoto lens. Can you imagine the amazing point of views it will allow?

No, its not. In theory, I love it. While I was on my recent Cruise, there was a special on the Royal TV channel that talked about the Aerostat, the failed balloon that they were looking at adding onto the Oasis ships. I think it would have been a blast to go up it, but the throughput is so slow and it would have been hampered by all kinds of weather.

But, I don't see this being successful when the ship is at sea and moving. The stresses on the arm will be enormous, there will probably be limited conditions when it can be used. And most ports are not the most attractive part of the islands. What are you really going to see while docked in Falmouth or St Thomas that you can already see from the top decks?

And at only 15 people per 'ride' and only 4 rides per hour when in use, I don't see how they can get all the people who will want to ride it through in one cruise.

For me I wonder what the power consumption is, and the time it takes for this thing to go up and out over the water. What are the hours of operation for this thing? I think it's the goofiest thing I've ever seen on a ship yet. I also think that Princess did it right by having the glass floor walk. If I decide at 3am to take a stroll I can still stand above the sea. I think it's too gimicky and I think it will be the next handle bar to be removed.

Just my thought.

Q

To avoid the peeping tom(s) problem, 15 of them, it's possible the capsule might not do full rotation except while over the top of the ship.

It is just one more carnival ride, along with the merry-go-round on the Oasis class, going toward a full set of carnival rides on a future ship. I've always hoped ships would remain ships, not become cities. For me, not something good looking forward.

Archived