Live From - The Caribbean Princess TransAtlantic

ccrain

Some of the best Live From threads are where multiple people join in and give different perspectives of the ship. No searching between threads, its all in one place.

So don't just lurk, tell us all what you're up to!

LOL - OCPD-describes me to a T. Glad to see others have this disorder:o

Will be in FL before our S.A. 49er next Feb. on the Crown so thanks all for the tips on the hotel and eating spots.

Love 'live froms'- fascinating to see how differently we all cruise.

Thanks to all LF posters for using your internet time - I am sure we all get so much out of the posts-even the "lurkers";)

Enjoy your cruise-have a great time.

DH and I are on this cruise in one of the last minis on E deck. We love our cabin and extended balcony. Seas so far have been fairly calm, not too much rock and roll at the back of the ship. Internet service also has been very good. We are first time platinum and are pleased with the free internet. It was very easy to log in.

We want to thank Kathy for organizing the meet and greet, the up coming slot pull, etc., and for setting up a terrific webpage. Also, props to Dee for helping Kathy out at the M&G.

We have early traditional seating which is in the Palm dining room. Although we had requested a table for two, we are at a table for six. Our tablemates so far are a entertaining couple from Berlin Germany. The other couple hasn't shown up yet. Food has been very good. Tonight we had the lamb shank which was recommended by the Chef who happened to be in the Atrium earlier today. Peter, our server is very attentive.

We echo CCRAIN, embarkation was very smooth. We were on the ship by 12:15 and went straight to our cabin where we dropped off our eight bottles of wine, 12-pack of beer, and other carry on. Other unmentionables in our checked luggage also arrived intact.

We echo CCRAIN, embarkation was very smooth. We were on the ship by 12:15 and went straight to our cabin where we dropped off our eight bottles of wine, 12-pack of beer, and other carry on. Other unmentionables in our checked luggage also arrived intact.

Well we all know where to go for the party!

Others would be curious how you got all that booze on board in spite of the new policy. Did you not have any trouble?

The weather held for the day, but you can tell it’s getting cooler. There was no morning Zumba, just in the afternoon, so we woke late and went down to the IC to have coffee and a light snack (they have the egg mcmuffin sandwich) with Paul, update the CC website, etc. After that Judy went to the crafting class, plastic canvas needlepoint, while I did my duty and went running on the elliptical. Pretty fancy elliptical. No problem, plug in for IPOD, USB or just headsets for TV. Very nice Star Traks I believe, not PreCors. Fully equipped gym, as usual, not too crowded at 0930.

Pub lunch was in the Crown Grill. Judy had the bangers and mash, I had the Plowman’s Lunch. The bread pudding was disappointing as it was really scrambled eggs, not pudding, but the main courses were pretty good. Tee shirt shopping, all port tees and hats for Europe, was next on the priority list and then the most important time of day – power nap. Ah yes, vacationing once again. Sleeping with the door open, the fresh ocean breeze, the sounds of the sea, the scraping of chairs on the Riviera balconies above, the banging of the sliding doors, the manual PA system between Aloha and Dolphin balconies… you get the picture – but Judy had a great nap…

Lincoln was playing in the theatre for the afternoon movie. Skyfall was the MUTS movie. There was a variety show in the Princess theater with Dan West.

The CJS band had an early set at 5:15 in the wheelhouse, which we just had to attend and dance. A very good dance band. After which we did one of favorite light dinners. A white flight at Vines accompanied by two servings of Sushi and a greek salad from the IC. Nice, light, quick and very tasty. The sushi was fresh, the greek salad just perfect with a taste of wine. A couple of thing we learned around the 5th cruise is that you don’t have to eat everything in sight, its ok to be hungry, you don’t have to eat in the dining room every night and it’s ok to snack for dinner.

The theater was packed to the gills for the early show. Instead we went to the 8PM recorded music dancing in Explorer’s. OK, rant mode on. This is now the 3rd or 4th cruise in which the music dance mix played really sucks. The technology really is available to do a better mix than 5 salsa’s, 3 cha-cha’s, then repeat the same songs in the same order. We gotta write a note to Neal to get this fixed. Rant mode off.

We did go back to the Wheelhouse and met with Paul, Elizabeth and mom for some late night dancing and drinks. Dragged ourselves off to bed. No time change tonight, which is a good thing.

An interesting note. There are no videographers on this ship and no plans to add any once we get to the UK. Apparently Princess has not been recouping the costs of the videographers for some of these ships and trips and is cutting costs. First the PanRaven books, then the videographers – at least they tried.

04-29-2013

No time change! Hurrah! Up at a decent hour and off to coffee in the Piazza with Paul and crew. So lets preview the patter for the day at sea. Tonight is formal night, which having packed light, we will not be doing. It will probably be the last night for the open cabin door as the temperature dipped into the upper 60’s. The seas are a little rougher, but nothing major and nothing bad enough to put Judy on her back.

For those early risers there is a morning stretch and fab abs in the gym starting at 0700. Pilates and Yoga are pay classes. (The Caribbean has a thermal spa which for the crossing was $150 for the cruise.) There is the typical sale in one of the dining rooms starting at 1000 this morning for 3 hours. Probably getting rid of all the Caribbean stuff left over. There is a bridge lecturer on board giving daily lectures in the morning. The first trivia is a 10:30 with a Texas holdem tournament for the trivia challenged.

There is crafting class at 1130 that Judy will probably go to. Line dance is at 1230, but there is a lecture on Pearl Harbor and 9/11 given by Thomas Kimmel, the grandson of Admiral Kimmel, the commanding officer at the time of the attack. Sounds interesting.

Since tonight is formal night the waterfall is at 715 tonight with the main show being Doug Funk, comedian, at 8 and 10. At 815, Dan West’s show repeats in Explorers from last night.

It looks like we’ll do Zumba at 430, then dinner and a movie as the Life of Pi is on at MUTS at 7. Then we will make the late comedian’s show at 10. So not a lot of dancing tonight as there is other stuff to do. But just in case we are up late, there is dancing in Explorer’s and the Wheelhouse until late.

So that’s the plan, let’s see where reality takes us today…

This is an excellent "Live From." Your writing is superb, and you give us a great view of what life is all about aboard the Caribbean Princess's Transatlantic. Thanks for taking the time to bring us along. Tommy and I have never done a TA, but I think one might be on our radar in the future.

Thanks again.

Well we all know where to go for the party!

Others would be curious how you got all that booze on board in spite of the new policy. Did you not have any trouble?

Our friends boarded with you in FLL. New policy was not being enforced. In San Pedro, it appears as of now that the only time it was enforced at embarkation was on March 27th. While signs are still up from that trial run, no other ships have reported the new policy being enforced. There was a post that it was not enforced in San Pedro on the April 10th cruise on the Golden. It was being enforced in one or two Hawaiian ports however.

It's coming, but apparently not quite yet.

I too was up early this am and brought my coffee up on deck. I met a wonderful woman who is from Dublin and will be disembarking there so she has given me some great tips for getting around in Dublin.

I did not eat in the MDR last night but did have the lamb shanks in the Cafe Caribe and they were very good. The show last night was an instrumentalist and I wasn't interested so it was a milky way martini in Churchill's with friends and an early night. BTW ccrain, there are at least 7 or 8 people that I've met from CO Springs but we haven't met yet.

Had breakfast in Sabatini's this am and enjoyed it. Also hope to get up to the thermal suite today and get some use of that perk.

My internet connection speed is quite good in my room, almost as good as my DSL at home.

I did book the Sommelier's wine tasting tomorrow afternoon as I got a $5 off coupon. Will let you know how it is from a novice's perspective.

I concur with ccrain that the seas are pretty calm but the temperature is getting much cooler today.

All of the crew have been excellent and some special bar tenders/waitress in Churchill's have been outstanding.

More later........:D

You said you were under the old suite policies so you had internet included. I am in a PS on the June 5th CB British Isles and I wondered if I get the unlimited Suite based internet we used to get or not?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, the original poster was spyro1952 but would love any clarification from anyone..

Originally Posted by spyro1952

I'll post later on this afternoon, the activities and what's on for shows, etc. I am not doing the B2B so I get off in Southampton and fly right home. If you have any questions, please let me know. I am under the old suite perks so my internet is free and I'm certainly going to take advantage of that.

You said you were under the old suite policies so you had internet included. I am in a PS on the June 5th CB British Isles and I wondered if I get the unlimited Suite based internet we used to get or not?

Thanks for your help.

Not Woobstr112G, but the answer to your question depends on when you booked your cruise. If you booked the cruise in a suite prior to the change in policy (July 15, 2012), you should get free unlimited internet. If you booked after, you do not get that suite benefit. If you are Platinum or Elite in the Captain's Circle, you will get the appropriate number of free minutes instead. Just a word of advice about getting the free internet if you are eligible - I would recommend bringing a copy of your booking form showing the date you booked your cruise.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not Woobstr but the answer is 'it depends'. When did you make your reservation? If it was before the new (not improved) policy was announced last summer (sometime in July), you are grandfathered and will receive the benefit. I am in that situation (also the British Isles cruise but in August) so I sent an email to Princess Customer Service to get it in writing in case I am charged for the minutes.

I received the following response within an hour (and have already placed it in my important cruise papers folder :D:

RE: reservation number

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Because the above referenced Suite booking was made prior to July of 2012, you will be able to enjoy free internet for this Aug 16, 2013 sailing of Caribbean Princess.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Capriccio, that was good advice about bringing a confirmation from Princess about being grandfathered in. Last summer after the change (I also don't see it as an improvement) on one cruise that we did I had to bring my copies of the e-mail I received from Princess about being grandfathered in down to Passenger Services 3 times before they finally got my account straight. On the next cruise several weeks later on a different ship, we had no trouble whatsoever.

I had been monitoring the threads here on CC and came to the conclusion that Princess had not rolled out the new policy in FLL. We flew in on Friday and stayed at Hyatt Place which is within a very short walk to Total Wine and Publix where we picked up the wine, beer, etc. We were prepared to pay the $15. per bottle corkage fee and surrender the rest, but it wasn't necessary, they weren't checking for alcohol.

We woke up late this morning and had coffee and a ship mcmuffin at the I cafe. I have an old coffee card which I am using for specialty coffees and we purchased a new card so we can get fresh brewed. After breakfast it was off to bingo (I didn't win) and some reading on the balcony. Seas are a little rougher and temps are lower so time on the balcony is diminishing.

We participated in formal evening tonight. I had the beef tenderloin, which was excellent and DH had the fish dish. After dinner we went to the champagne waterfall event and had some cheap champagne. Then it was off to Explorer's lounge to see the Dan West show that we missed last night because there were no seats left by time we got there. We're glad we missed it last night because tonight we were up close. He was great.

So far, every Princess employee that we have personally encountered has been absolutely outstanding.

04-30-2013

My thanks to all the fellow travelers posting their experiences as well. Live froms have been a valuable source of information for me as I research itineraries and ships to cruise on.

Its funny that there are several of us from COS on the ship. We did meet another couple from COS during muster drill. Small world indeed.

The weather hasn’t changed much. Nice and cool. 67-68 in the cabin with the door open. Seas are on the low side of moderate. Not really too bad. The air is brisk, but no chill to the bone. Actually quite nice.

A couple of things. I have to echo my fellow traveler. Service has been impeccable. We had lunch in the HC yesterday and in the space of 4 minutes had 4 different wait staff show up to ask us for our drink order, which we had already given to the first one. Likewise bar staff has been prompt with the water and refills. No hesitation. Always a smile. Food in the HC for lunch was good yesterday. The cold salads are really good, but alas everything has mayo in it. Even the vinaigrettes. So Judy is having a hard time finding a decent salad. The gluten free options have really expanded over the years with at least one or two desserts and one main. As has already been stated the shanks for lunch were quite good.

So Paul and I did go to Tom Kimmel’s lecture on the parallels between Pearl Harbor and 9/11. His talk mainly centered on the political parallels – there were none! He contrasted the ‘rush to judgment’ of his grandfather (Admiral Kimmel) to the complete lack of accountability to members of the Bush and Clinton administration. For those of us that followed the 9/11 commission’s work, and are familiar with the scapegoating of Admiral Kimmel, there was really nothing new or headlining in his talk, but his family’s bitterness is completely understandable.

Without morning Zumba, we have shifted our schedule to start in the Piazza early with computer log in, coffee and talking with Paul. About 0900 I run up to the gym and do a workout while Judy finds something interesting to bide her time. Crafting, puzzling, playing games on her IPAD. Since yesterday was formal night we did do Zumba as planned at 430. It was ok. We’ve had two of the best Zumba instructors the last two cruises (Paul in November of 2011 on the Grand and Kim in April of 2013 on the Diamond), better quite frankly than the Zumba videos, so Nat has a really hard row to hoe. After the Zumba class we did dinner and a movie upstairs and watched the Life of Pi. An interesting movie, somewhat strange, great CG. The acting, considering the cast for most of the movie was one guy and a bunch of hand puppets (later CGed in), was pretty good. Dinner was pizza from the Deck 15 pizza place. A little disappointing. A lot of grease and burned crust. Still, after a Zumba class and a light lunch, it, and a beer, went down quite well.

After the movie we had dessert in Café Caribe. A good selection and sweeter than the lunch time desserts. At 10 we went to see Doug Funk the comedian. To say he bombed would be gracious. It got so bad one lady in the front row was asking him about the ship’s schedule and would he be on Liars Club. Then he gave us a preview of his improv show and redeemed himself. He invited up a member of the audience, Will, who’s job was to make the sounds to the story the comedian was telling. About the time Doug was walking over Chihuahuas to his helicopter, we were practically on the floor laughing. So the show was not a total waste. In fact I want to go see his improv show.

So now onto today’s activities. Today is Elizabeth’s birthday. So we are going to Sabbatini’s with Paul and Elizabeth for her birthday. That will pretty much blow the evening, but we have not tried the new menu and are anxious to see what its like. There is only two trivias today, which for a day at sea, I know the trivia people would have their pitchforks and torches out!

So Tom Kimmel has another lecture at 1300. Do you want to dance is the production show tonight and we will be down front and center. This is one of our favorite shows. Dancing after dinner looks like great choices with CJS band and S-Sounds.

So, we will head out for the morning, after two cups of coffee, and see what happens!

Good morning. The one hour ahead thing is now getting to me. I didn't get to bed last night until about MN which means it was 1 am. Very slow to get started this am.

I did not participate in the formal attire last night and ate in Cafe Caribe with friends. Had delicious shrimp and scallops sauteed in light oil and garlic. Dessert was also very good. I found service there to be extremely good and they can not do enough for you.

I know when this ship is full it can feel a bit crowded but this trip seems there is plenty of room, some lines for pub lunch at peak times, the tour desk, future cruise desk but that's about it.

To the OP, please take Ann's advice and email customer service if you booked before 7/15/12. If you are entitled to free email, you certainly want to have it in writing.

Loving breakfast in Sabitini's, best french toast I have ever had on a Princess ship. This afternoon my big event is the sommelier's wine tasting. More later hopefully..........:)

Enjoying your "Live From". We live in COS (northeast) and it's nice to hear from fellow citizens from Broncos country. (My wife is a Steelers fan but she isn't reading this!)

BTW, we're expecting another wintery blast tonight and tomorrow (Wednesday). Forecast is for snow and a high of 37, low of 21. Yuck!

bob123

05-01-2013

What a beautiful morning at sea. Temperature in the cabin this morning was a refreshing 66F. We’ve still been sleeping with the door open. On the Aloha deck, you don’t get a lot of sea sounds, more wind than anything, but the fresh air and the rocking motion is really wonderful. Up early for COFFEE! Its funny that we develop routines on a cruise, but each cruise has a different routine. On this one, its coffee and chit chat and computer work in the Piazza until about 0930, to let the gym clear out, then a workout in the gym.

Yesterday was pretty much to plan. We did make line dance class since we were going to miss Zumba, and we did go to Sabatinis for dinner with Paul and Elizabeth, and we did make the late showing of “Do You Want To Dance”. Dinner was wonderful with great food and service. The umpteen course menu has changed quite a bit, but the guys still fill the table with all kinds of goodies. I just told Milo – give me your best shot, pick the meal and pick the wine. He liked that challenge and did very well. The mushroom tart was very good, as was the calamari. The pasta was good, although a white sauced pasta with ham is not our favorite. Next time I will try the marinara based sauce.

As with the prior Sabatini menu, do not eat it all! The multi-dish appetizers and pasta course was followed by the main course of lobster, with a lobster risotto and a covering of lobster bisque sauce. And then an accompaniment of New York strip steak to roundout the surf. Perfectly cooked, tasty, beautifully presented and served.

Dessert was like the appetizer course. Lots of different desserts all over the table. Judy went ga-ga over the semi-fredo. The sabayon was sweet, the napoleon crispy, yet smooth. All of it was really, really good. Well worth the price of admission.

Then it was time for a little dancing in the wheelhouse then off to the theater to watch the show. The vocals were good, but once again the choreography is dated. Fun to watch, good music, lots of energy, but in this age of television ‘so you think you can dance’ and ‘dancing with the stars’, the audience expectations are a lot higher than they were even a few years ago. I realize the difficulties and logistics involved in producing shows, but the head entertainment office needs to freshen up the shows and turn the dancers loose…

We did not lose an hour last night, which was a good thing as we finally got to be a little before midnight. Long day at sea, but a great day at sea.

So the plan for the day. The weather and seas are still cooperating. Very mild motion, very temperate weather. Tonight’s must see is Dan Riley, the guitar comedian that was in the opening show. Two shows, 7 and 815, so we’ll try and make the 815. Dancing is at both the wheelhouse and Explorer’s with the 50’s and 60’s night at 915. So our night will be full of fun.

MUTS is the Bourne Legacy and Doug Funk has a rerun in Explorers. The afternoon movie in the theater is Flight, while Dirty Dancing is on at MUTS. The arts and crafts today is a pearl and crystal necklace – and will probably be SRO for sure. Line dancing is at 1230, ballroom at 230 and Zumba at 430. Don’t know if we will make that or not. Probably will since there is nothing pressing.

There is an egg drop challenge on the ship that should be interesting to watch. Princess pop choir is on this cruise and there are two trivia’s a day.

So that’s what the patter looks like for the day. Let’s see what the day brings…

Enjoying your "Live From". We live in COS (northeast) and it's nice to hear from fellow citizens from Broncos country. (My wife is a Steelers fan but she isn't reading this!)

BTW, we're expecting another wintery blast tonight and tomorrow (Wednesday). Forecast is for snow and a high of 37, low of 21. Yuck!

bob123

Actually this is quite good news since my lawn needs water!. We did not wet out the sprinklers before we left knowing that if we did, you guys would get 2' of snow. With snow coming, I'm hoping the kids still keep the place watered and alive!

Yes, woke up to about 3 inches of snow in Arvada, CO! Sure wish we were on a ship somewhere warm!

We too love transatlantic cruises, but we like going west instead due gaining time instead of losing time. However, I would take being on a ship anywhere right now!

Thanks for the live reports. I love these things....I get to live a little through your vacations!

Archived