Live From - The Caribbean Princess TransAtlantic

ccrain

Can't believe its been over a year since our last cruise. How time flies...but due to my last 35 days cruise we now have a new policy at work - I now am the proud prime cause of two new policies at work - everything over five consective days must be approved by your supervisor, in writing, and with HR and the Group President must be notified. So I had to cancel a couple of cruises in late 2012 and the around the horn cruise in January 2013. But I snuck this one in to my last supervisor prior to him leaving, so we are officially gone cruising, drinking, dancing and relaxitating for 32 days....We are booked on the following cruises as well for a 27 day B2B.

We're Charles and Judy from Colorado Springs, CO where it snowed on Tuesday, with hundreds of flights cancelled at COS and DEN. That's why we fly in a day or two early. Two days in this case, and just to make absolutely sure this time we flew through Houston instead of Denver or Chicago. Part of my OCPD (Obsessive Cruise Planning Disorder) affliction.

We've never done a TA before and we've never been to Paris, Normanday, Azore, Ireland or Scotland. So in keeping with our new found desire to see and meet different cultures and locations, we picked this cruise, as well as to spend some time with Paul and Elizabeth, our cruise friends from years past - we finally managed to get on the same ship together!

In keeping with my past threads, I will try and answer questions as we go and give you our perspective of the ship, the crews, passengers, food, entertainment. In addition we are signed up for a lot of excursions. We try and book princess excursions for every new port were in, and then do things on our own the next time. This cruise offers that opportunity in Dublin and Cobh, although we are going to split up the first time in France with Judy going to Versailles with Elizabeth while Paul and I go to Nomandy.

So anyway, we are staying at the Marina Hilton in FLL - used all my remaining HH points on this cruise. Had a relatively uneventful flight to FLL. Bags were already waiting for us. A quick cab ride to the hotel and then a very expensive, but oh so tasty, sushi and sashimi and mai tai dinner at China Grill in the hotel. Good thing it was 1/2 price happy hour!

The Hilton Marina is an older hotel on the waterway just on the other side of the 17th street drawbridge from the Princess docks. (Quite honestly I chose this hotel because it had the lowest point cost and does have a quick shuttle to the port.) The rooms are adequate, the location and views great, but its not a budget hotel for sure...The last time we stayed here we walked to downtown, to the park up the coast, its easy walking to a lot places. The water taxi stops here as well, but we never had a chance to use it last time because they were always full. (Must have been during spring break.) This time with only one day we plan to go to the beach to the Walgrens close by and then to a seafood dinner. There are several top 50 FLL restaurants close by to choose from. Hopefully they are cheaper than China Grill!

So hopefully the internet gods will cooperate on this ship and I will be able to update as we go. its going to be a very busy itin once we get to the other side of the pond, lots of excursions, lots of sights to see, lots to report.

So climb aboard - let's have some fun...

Hi Judy and Charles,

I have missed you! You will love the trans-atlantic. Hope the internet works for you.

Sally

With all those ships on the West Coast, we might be seeing you sooner than later! The Sapphire has to get to Singapore from the West Coast in 2014 and we're really interested to see how she gets there...

With all those ships on the West Coast, we might be seeing you sooner than later! The Sapphire has to get to Singapore from the West Coast in 2014 and we're really interested to see how she gets there...
You were one to two cruises ahead of us on the Golden in '09 and the Star in '10 and we learned from your "Live From" threads. We are also awaiting news on how the Sapphire will get to Asia. Information should be released to TAs shortly and cruises should go on sail on May 28th. Might meet you on board next year. Have a great cruise. We have friends on your cruise in a Window Suite.

There are several top 50 FLL restaurants close by to choose from. Hopefully they are cheaper than China Grill!

More resonable alternatives in order of distance Bimini Boat Yard good drinkes Food ok. Southport Raw Bar peel and eat shrimp easy on wallet.My first choice Ernies BBQ on US 1 a bit far been there since I was in high School:)

There are several top 50 FLL restaurants close by to choose from. Hopefully they are cheaper than China Grill!

More resonable alternatives in order of distance Bimini Boat Yard good drinkes Food ok. Southport Raw Bar peel and eat shrimp easy on wallet.My first choice Ernies BBQ on US 1 a bit far been there since I was in high School:)

OK, so we've been to Thailand, on a Princess Cruise, and they led us through a street market with all kinds of wonderful smells - and then fed us mashed potatoes...

So we read the on-line reviews and headed for CoCo's just south of 17th street. Easy walking distance. Our first taste of Thai food, and it was incredible.

The Papaya salad was spicy and refereshing all at the same time, the Octopus Ceviche had a hint of ginger and spice and was on par with the Papaya salad, but the Red Curry with squid and Green Curry with Scallops stole the show. We've never had curry like this before and while I can't say it was authentic, it was foodgasmic good. Service was great, the food superb, the company witty, charming, beautiful (Judy - not me) and we got to experience a completely different flavor profile.

What's not to like?

Wow! Looking forward to going along with you on this adventure! We just left the Caribbean Princess last week and are really excited for you! The ship looked to be in great shape and the crew was well versed in their day to day activities. Will be glued to your live from, have a wonderful voyage!

Cheers!

Ken

Archived