Live From - The Caribbean Princess TransAtlantic

ccrain

05-02-2013

Yesterday was a very good day at sea. Not the perfect day we seek at least once per cruise, but pretty darn close. We only needed a few more dances, but it wasn’t to be. The highlight of the evening was Dan Riley’s music and comedy show. How many of you actually know the words to La Bamba? The actual Spanish? What they actually mean? I didn’t know the captain preferred marinara to soy sauce. I bet you didn’t either. He pretty much killed it. It was funny and just a great show.

This morning was beautiful. This crossing has been smooth and with great weather. It’s pretty amazing. Late yesterday afternoon, we looked out over the blue ocean and just marveled at the water, the weather, the fresh ocean breeze. It was just perfect cruising weather, not too hot, not too cold – just right.

I should mention that we have at least one person on board we’ve sailed with before. Nine is one of the ship’s photographers and she was on the diamond with us last year from Singapore to Vancouver. She’s from South Africa and we really want to see South Africa, but the ship’s almost always sell out as soon as they open and airfare to South Africa is a killer! But one of these days... Service has been great. The bar staff, the waiters and waitresses, all have been really, really good. Smiles all around, even now at 0700 in the morning after losing our 3rd hour of sleep. Our cabin steward is amazing. He’s been fantastic in keeping the cabin freshened and our laundry up to speed.

So after coffee in the Piazza, I went to the gym. It’s pretty cleared out by 0930. Judy, Mom and the gang went to the necklace jewelry craft class. Line dancing was fun and energetic and then Zumba in the late afternoon was a much needed pick me up. But we miss Kim – our line dance instructor from the last cruise. Her choreography was much, much smoother and more focused on exercising specific parts of the body and the musicality of the moves. We like a Zumba that’s more like dance than exercise. But once again, it really doesn’t matter. When you are on a cruise, you’re on vacation!

We did not do the dining room again. Just not enough time or stomach volume. Light meals are the rule into this long a cruise. We did hit the grill for lunch and the burgers and pizza were pretty good. For dinner it was a quick trip through Café Caribe and the only thing that appealed to me was a fruit salad. Judy had the steak and mashed potatoes. The steak was perfectly cooked, which is pretty good for a buffet.

Last night was also 50’s and 60’s night, which was a lot of fun – as usual. Hand jive, hoola hoops, dancing.

The patter for the day is highlighted by the crafting class. They are making the matching earrings and bracelet to the necklace of yesterday. There is a Brazilian line dance class. We have to do this since we’ve never done a class like this before. There is a beginners samba class today as well. We might try to make that as well. Zumba is at 430 again. MUTS is Robot and Frank, not sure what that is. At 915 is a 70’s night party and we lose another hours sleep tonight.

As on most of the SuperGrands, they have little vignettes in the Piazza from various performers. Princess used to, when we were on the Emerald in 2011, have special performers to do things in the Piazza. One was a juggler, and another was a hoola hoop champion. Now they use on-board talent to do these little shows. For example, there is the Diamond String Quartet, S-Sounds and the dance troupe vocalists doing Motor City today.

Tonight is also a comedy juggler in the theater, Aaron Bonk. Doesn’t sound familiar to us. We have seen several jugglers over the years. The best is the kid with the laser light gloves. Although he’s not a kid anymore! Princess Millionaire – a new gameshow for us is also on tonight along with a 70’s trivia, a name that tune. Paul Burton has been and is the Crooner’s bar piano player. He must be pretty good as they are putting out extra chairs for people to sit during his show.

Well, that’s it for now from the Caribbean Princess…now to go take on the day!

I am enjoying your live from blog...could you suggest a few places for a sail away gathering...we will be leaving from Southampton on Friday, August 16, 2013. We have not been on this ship before. Our meet and greet is scheduled in Skywalkers but not sure that is the fun place to gather for a sail away.

Thanks

I am enjoying your live from blog...could you suggest a few places for a sail away gathering...we will be leaving from Southampton on Friday, August 16, 2013. We have not been on this ship before. Our meet and greet is scheduled in Skywalkers but not sure that is the fun place to gather for a sail away.

Thanks

Outriggers is the most popular place to meet after muster. It's relatively compact and easy to identify CC people if they wear something distinctive like a set of beads or a CC hat or badge.

05-03-2013

Caribbean navigational tips – 1) The even side (port) has the orange striped carpets. 2) The aft elevators – Only the outside two elevators, far starboard and far port, go down to deck 6 and up to deck 18 and they each have their own call buttons! (The center two elevators only go from 7 to 15.) To call all 4 elevators you have to push 3 buttons, one each for the outside elevators, one for the two center elevators. 3) The CB has the extra Riviera deck, so deck 14 is Riviera and deck 15 is the Lido deck. Lots of people getting off looking for food on deck 14!

Ok we woosed out last night. Hit the wall. Spent. Done. Cooked. A combination of losing an hour, then having to lose another one in a row, we crashed, early. Did not make it to 70’s night and if it wasn’t for the muscle pain we would have slept like babies. Nat concentrated on arms during Zumba, combined with Brazilian line dance, and every muscle in our shoulders aches. So holding up Judy’s arm during dancing last night was pure torture.

The routine yesterday was pretty much same o same o. Coffee in the Piazza, a workout in the Gym, line dancing, zumba, dancing, bed... Two things yesterday happened that illustrate the desire of the crew to please.

In the first one we went to lunch after line dance to the Dining Room with Paul and Elizabeth. I really wanted a salad and the Caesar with chicken looked really good, so I ordered that plus ‘large plate with fires’. When the plate of fries arrived, it was the largest plate they have, but with a small handful of fries. We got the biggest kick out of it, point out the size of the plate, the amount of fries. The staff overheard us and immediately responded. First they asked me if I would like some more fries, then the head waiter came over to apologize for the misinterpretation – to which we all responded, we got exactly what the menu said – a LARGE plate with fries – and then the additional fries arrived, looked like an entire basket, which were enough to feed the whole table. That was funny as well. But then when dessert arrived, I had ordered ice cream, a scoop of Rocky Road and a scoop of vanilla, I got two scoops of each. I guess they wanted to make sure that we were happy!

By the way – the food was really good. Judy had the pasta putenesca and rigatoni in white sauce. Elizabeth had a lobster filled crepe thingy that was deep fried. Paul had the rigatoni as well.

The second thing was Nat, the ballroom dance, Brazilian line dance and Zumba instructor. Finally we had some decent canned music dancing last night. Even though he isn’t a DJ, he mixed the music well and when no one was dancing salsa, he stopped the music and went on to something everyone could dance to. But most importantly, he made a point of coming out in the audience and dancing with the older single women watching the proceedings. That was a very nice touch on his part.

Weather is still absolutely gorgeous. Blue sky, calm seas, perfect temps, 67 in the cabin this morning. It seems to be warming up a bit. Just spectacular.

We hit Café Caribe for dinner last night and had a dinner that was fantastic. It was German night with all kinds of sausages, meat pates, and some fantastic pickled beets, braised red cabbage and roasted sauerkraut. This is why we like to do the HC or Caribe more than the dining room. The chef has much more flexibility in the HC and it really showed. We could have really pigged out, pun intended, on all the pork available. But it was a fantastic meal.

A change in today’s schedule. Tonight is a formal night so Zumba is a 0930 this morning. No boring run on the elliptical for me! (Hopefully the ibuprofen starts working before then!) Arts and crafts this morning is a decoupage card. BTW, the teacher, Beverly, supplies the class with all the supplies necessary – at no charge. But its so popular she has to cut the class off at 100 each day. Judy, the family crafter, always tries to go to the Craft’s class. Mom and Elizabeth have been going as well. Paul and I have other interests…

Line dance is back at 1230. We are having the ultimate deck party sometime this cruise, so we are learning some of the party cruises in line dance class. A really good idea. Tango is the ballroom class. There has been two lecture series ongoing. Astronomy and Pear Harbor.

Tonight has a new gameshow – “I can Do The IPOD Trivia”. Dan West is back with a new cabaret show. Paul has been making money at the Texas Holdem Tournaments. Mom’s been investing. He came in second yesterday. There is dancing in the wheelhouse, explorer’s and fusion. They still allow smoking in Skywalkers, so we won’t be going up there – it gets way too stuffy. MUTS is “Trouble with the Curve”. We might go see that since it is formal night.

Well that’s about it. Now to see if we can survive Zumba this morning….

Hi ccrain!

I am totally enjoying your cruise with you even though I am not moving. We were on the CB cruise just before yours and hated to disembark:(. One of our M&G couples, Ivor and Jackie were continuing on with you. They are from the UK and flew in to sail back. We really envied them. I hope your good weather continues.

Sail on . . .

Losing an hour every other night and sometimes 2 nights in a row has been rough. I was exhausted yesterday and did not get to post. I went to the Crown Grill again last night and really enjoyed it. The staff in there is excellent and I had the rib eye steak and some lobster tails. The lobster tails were much bigger than what we had in the MDR tonight.

Tonight was the Captain's Circle cocktail party for many of us. I do not know what #1 & #2 were in terms of days as they did not announce it. Here is the breakdown of CC members on the cruise:

499 gold

379 Medallion

813 Platinum

318 elite

I don't know what the cut off is for the top 40 luncheon. It is actually a cocktail party this trip in Skywalkers' on Monday evening. I will be attending with 333 days.

Tomorrow is our first port and i have an early tour booked with our roll call. Try to post again tomorrow evening. :)

05-03-2013

Caribbean navigational tips – 1) The even side (port) has the orange striped carpets. 2) The aft elevators – Only the outside two elevators, far starboard and far port, go down to deck 6 and up to deck 18 and they each have their own call buttons! (The center two elevators only go from 7 to 15.) To call all 4 elevators you have to push 3 buttons, one each for the outside elevators, one for the two center elevators. 3) The CB has the extra Riviera deck, so deck 14 is Riviera and deck 15 is the Lido deck. Lots of people getting off looking for food on deck 14!

Ok we woosed out last night. Hit the wall. Spent. Done. Cooked. A combination of losing an hour, then having to lose another one in a row, we crashed, early. Did not make it to 70’s night and if it wasn’t for the muscle pain we would have slept like babies. Nat concentrated on arms during Zumba, combined with Brazilian line dance, and every muscle in our shoulders aches. So holding up Judy’s arm during dancing last night was pure torture.

The routine yesterday was pretty much same o same o. Coffee in the Piazza, a workout in the Gym, line dancing, zumba, dancing, bed... Two things yesterday happened that illustrate the desire of the crew to please.

In the first one we went to lunch after line dance to the Dining Room with Paul and Elizabeth. I really wanted a salad and the Caesar with chicken looked really good, so I ordered that plus ‘large plate with fires’. When the plate of fries arrived, it was the largest plate they have, but with a small handful of fries. We got the biggest kick out of it, point out the size of the plate, the amount of fries. The staff overheard us and immediately responded. First they asked me if I would like some more fries, then the head waiter came over to apologize for the misinterpretation – to which we all responded, we got exactly what the menu said – a LARGE plate with fries – and then the additional fries arrived, looked like an entire basket, which were enough to feed the whole table. That was funny as well. But then when dessert arrived, I had ordered ice cream, a scoop of Rocky Road and a scoop of vanilla, I got two scoops of each. I guess they wanted to make sure that we were happy!

By the way – the food was really good. Judy had the pasta putenesca and rigatoni in white sauce. Elizabeth had a lobster filled crepe thingy that was deep fried. Paul had the rigatoni as well.

The second thing was Nat, the ballroom dance, Brazilian line dance and Zumba instructor. Finally we had some decent canned music dancing last night. Even though he isn’t a DJ, he mixed the music well and when no one was dancing salsa, he stopped the music and went on to something everyone could dance to. But most importantly, he made a point of coming out in the audience and dancing with the older single women watching the proceedings. That was a very nice touch on his part.

Weather is still absolutely gorgeous. Blue sky, calm seas, perfect temps, 67 in the cabin this morning. It seems to be warming up a bit. Just spectacular.

We hit Café Caribe for dinner last night and had a dinner that was fantastic. It was German night with all kinds of sausages, meat pates, and some fantastic pickled beets, braised red cabbage and roasted sauerkraut. This is why we like to do the HC or Caribe more than the dining room. The chef has much more flexibility in the HC and it really showed. We could have really pigged out, pun intended, on all the pork available. But it was a fantastic meal.

A change in today’s schedule. Tonight is a formal night so Zumba is a 0930 this morning. No boring run on the elliptical for me! (Hopefully the ibuprofen starts working before then!) Arts and crafts this morning is a decoupage card. BTW, the teacher, Beverly, supplies the class with all the supplies necessary – at no charge. But its so popular she has to cut the class off at 100 each day. Judy, the family crafter, always tries to go to the Craft’s class. Mom and Elizabeth have been going as well. Paul and I have other interests…

Line dance is back at 1230. We are having the ultimate deck party sometime this cruise, so we are learning some of the party cruises in line dance class. A really good idea. Tango is the ballroom class. There has been two lecture series ongoing. Astronomy and Pear Harbor.

Tonight has a new gameshow – “I can Do The IPOD Trivia”. Dan West is back with a new cabaret show. Paul has been making money at the Texas Holdem Tournaments. Mom’s been investing. He came in second yesterday. There is dancing in the wheelhouse, explorer’s and fusion. They still allow smoking in Skywalkers, so we won’t be going up there – it gets way too stuffy. MUTS is “Trouble with the Curve”. We might go see that since it is formal night.

Well that’s about it. Now to see if we can survive Zumba this morning….

Sounds like another great day. Thanks for checking in and hope you enjoyed your formal night.....:):):)

Bob

They still allow smoking in Skywalkers, so we won’t be going up there – it gets way too stuffy.
Smoking in Skywalkers? That's a disappointment. I was planning on parking there for our Norway cruise in June. :-( Thanks for the great tips on elevators.
I don't remember there being smoking in skywalkers:eek::eek: Thats normally where I hang out and would not be if it was smoky:eek::eek:
There is one small section in Skywalkers where smoking is permitted.
Smoking has always been allowed in Princess "night clubs" such as Skywalkers. We haven't been on the CB, but on the Golden last September, there were only eight tables with ashtrays, all on the far port side. We don't go to Skywalkers in the evening, but often spend time there during the day. People don't make a special trip all the way up to Skywalkers during the day to "grab a smoke" when there are areas much closer to their cabins. We have been in Skywalkers on the Grand (pre-Skywalkersectomy), Golden, Star and Sapphire and never had a problem with smoke during the day or during the 5:00-7:00 Elite/Suite/Platinum Lounge time.

05-04-2013

The Azores. We actually did some work here a couple of years ago, but I didn’t go on that trip, but one of my coworkers pronounced the island absolutely gorgeous. Today’s update will be short as we have a full day of excursioning around this including a pineapple plantation, the volcanoes, lunch and a couple of photo stops. We are 6 hours ahead of Colorado time right now. Its almost 0600 in the morning as we get our morning coffees. As with the Diamond last year, they have closed the buffet from midnight to 0500. With the international café on this ship open 24/7, finding food is not a problem, nor is finding coffee in the morning.

Well we survived Zumba yesterday morning and I was so motivated I went and did a workout and elliptical run in the gym afterwards anyway. Lunch at the HC was very good with the cold salads remaining as my favorite. Judy can’t have any of them because most contain mayonnaise and she is allergic to a protein created in an egg and oil emulsion. The chicken adobo was fantastic.

One nice side benefit of the morning’s workout was a completely delicious afternoon power nap. The kind of nap in which you sleep deep and wake refreshed looking out the windows into the blue sky, feeling and tasting the refreshing sea breeze wash over you – just loving this lazy day at sea.

We did a little dancing at the Wheelhouse with drinks prior to going to the movie. MUTS was “Trouble with the Curve” – a completely formula driven movie in which all loose ends are tied up happily ever after in the last 10 minutes, and liberty and justice prevails. But it was far better than dressing up for dinner in a stuffy tuxedo.

Since the alarm was set for 0530, we trundled off to bed to get things laid out for in the morning, do laundry, charge all 539 electronic devices, pack the ouch kit, the survival kit, the emergency kit, the electronics kit, the backup electronics kit – you get the idea…I still remember camping as a kid with the clothes on my back, an ice chest, a sleeping bag, a flashlight and a couple cans of pork and beans and Vienna sausage – boy do times change.

Tonight is going to be a challenge. As usual two really want to see things are scheduled. MUTS has the Hobbit and the show is Caribbean Caliente. We’ve not seen the Hobbit and Caliente is one of our favorites. The Hobbit is just a few minutes short of 3 hours, and Caliente is tonight only with three shows. So in order for this to work, we must hit the 6PM Hobbit showing – meaning Pizza and beer for dinner – and then hit the 10PM showing of Caliente. After a full day of touring, seeing all of the Hobbit and/or the show will be a miracle. But we learned long ago on these cruises that you just can’t do it all.

Tomorrow will be an overview of what we saw during our tour in the Azores.

I am enjoying the posts from the Caribbean Princess. As we are cruising on this ship later in the year it is very interesting to read of your experiences. I was wondering if the wine packages were on offer on this liner? Thanks for your posts.

Smoking has always been allowed in Princess "night clubs" such as Skywalkers. We haven't been on the CB, but on the Golden last September, there were only eight tables with ashtrays, all on the far port side. We don't go to Skywalkers in the evening, but often spend time there during the day. People don't make a special trip all the way up to Skywalkers during the day to "grab a smoke" when there are areas much closer to their cabins. We have been in Skywalkers on the Grand (pre-Skywalkersectomy), Golden, Star and Sapphire and never had a problem with smoke during the day or during the 5:00-7:00 Elite/Suite/Platinum Lounge time.

We are also there during the day and for the 5-7 Elite/Suite/Plat lounge time so maybe that is why we have never noticed :)

I enjoyed the One5 club on the Grand since the Skywalkers-sectomy:D:D:D

05-04-2013

Since the alarm was set for 0530, we trundled off to bed to get things laid out for in the morning, do laundry, charge all 539 electronic devices, pack the ouch kit, the survival kit, the emergency kit, the electronics kit, the backup electronics kit – you get the idea…I still remember camping as a kid with the clothes on my back, an ice chest, a sleeping bag, a flashlight and a couple cans of pork and beans and Vienna sausage – boy do times change.

At least with all this new tech stuff you don't need a can opener:D:D:D

The Azores is a beautiful Island :)

05-04-2013

The Azores. We actually did some work here a couple of years ago, but I didn’t go on that trip, but one of my coworkers pronounced the island absolutely gorgeous. Today’s update will be short as we have a full day of excursioning around this including a pineapple plantation, the volcanoes, lunch and a couple of photo stops. We are 6 hours ahead of Colorado time right now. Its almost 0600 in the morning as we get our morning coffees. As with the Diamond last year, they have closed the buffet from midnight to 0500. With the international café on this ship open 24/7, finding food is not a problem, nor is finding coffee in the morning.

Well we survived Zumba yesterday morning and I was so motivated I went and did a workout and elliptical run in the gym afterwards anyway. Lunch at the HC was very good with the cold salads remaining as my favorite. Judy can’t have any of them because most contain mayonnaise and she is allergic to a protein created in an egg and oil emulsion. The chicken adobo was fantastic.

One nice side benefit of the morning’s workout was a completely delicious afternoon power nap. The kind of nap in which you sleep deep and wake refreshed looking out the windows into the blue sky, feeling and tasting the refreshing sea breeze wash over you – just loving this lazy day at sea.

We did a little dancing at the Wheelhouse with drinks prior to going to the movie. MUTS was “Trouble with the Curve” – a completely formula driven movie in which all loose ends are tied up happily ever after in the last 10 minutes, and liberty and justice prevails. But it was far better than dressing up for dinner in a stuffy tuxedo.

Tonight is going to be a challenge. As usual two really want to see things are scheduled. MUTS has the Hobbit and the show is Caribbean Caliente. We’ve not seen the Hobbit and Caliente is one of our favorites. The Hobbit is just a few minutes short of 3 hours, and Caliente is tonight only with three shows. So in order for this to work, we must hit the 6PM Hobbit showing – meaning Pizza and beer for dinner – and then hit the 10PM showing of Caliente. After a full day of touring, seeing all of the Hobbit and/or the show will be a miracle. But we learned long ago on these cruises that you just can’t do it all.

Tomorrow will be an overview of what we saw during our tour in the Azores.

Enjoy the Azores. Absolutely beautiful place to visit. The crater lakes was a favorite stops for us.....:):):)

Bob

Last night was the second formal evening. We attended the Captain's Circle reception. In today's Patter they acknowledge the most traveled passengers who have sailed 674 days. At dinner we had the lobster (very small) with Louisiana style crab cake. We didn't detect much crab, nothing like Maryland style which is what we are used to. Entertainment in the theater was another Den West show. He's very good on his instruments, but second time around a little repetitive.

Today was Ponta Delgada. We took the Princess Ribeira Grande and Pineapple Greenhouse excursion. Our guide was very good and we learned alot about the Azores. Unfortunately, it was cloudy up on the mountain and although we saw the crater lake, we didn't see much else. Just a warning to not buy pineapple liquor from the greenhouse gift shop--it's much cheaper in town and around the dock. After the tour we ate lunch on the ship and headed back out. We picked up some local wine & beer at the market across the main road from the dock and then enjoyed a draft beer at a cafe before returning to the ship. Beer and wine sailed through screening.

To answer the question about wine packages, yes they were available, we bought the 10-bottle package upon boarding and also bought the coffee card. I was assured that they would not enter the transaction into the system until we were out of FLL tax jurisdiction. However, we were charged FLL tax on a couple of sailaway beers.

This evening we experienced the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. Since we're the last covered mini on starboard side it was a little bit windy to start out but as soon as the ship passed the island and headed north, the wind diminished. The service and food were outstanding. We had the surf and turf and the filet was huge and perfectly cooked. We've decided it's just coffee for breakfast tomorrow. I may never eat again....

Since we missed the 8:15 Caliente show, we waddled around to a couple of the lounges and listened to a couple of bands. Then we caught the 10:00 Caliente show. It was entertaining.

We're looking forward the the next 3 days at sea.

05-05-2013 – Back at Sea Again

The Azores – In one sentence – Hawaii meets old Europe. The classic European architecture, rock walls and farmer’s fields that have been around for centuries meets tropical flowers, trees and an incredibly fertile soil. We did Tour 100A, the long one. We arrived at the Princess Theater about 8, and got back around 4:15. A real nice sampling of the island. We did a pineapple plantation, which is a set of greenhouses, a small town, the rim of the eastern crater, down to the lake in the crater for lunch, a walk through the botanical garden, a walk around the fumaroles and mud springs, a drive along the northern and southern coasts.

Lunch was a vegetable soup, some roast beef with potatoes and veggies, and a slice of local pineapple, with some nice table wine – white or red – as much as you wanted to drink. The local pineapple was the highlight of the meal. Unlike Hawaiian pineapple, which when fresh and ripe is like candy and very, very sweet, this is more tart and acidic and less sweet. Very different, very good.

Our tour guide was knowledgeable, energetic, enthusiastic – a real treat. She was definitely very, very proud of her island and wanted to show it off to everyone, and show us off to all the people we would meet. We like tours like this.

As according to plan, we got back in time to grab seats at the Hobbit. I thought it would be crowded, but it wasn’t. So it was Pizza and a bucket of MGD for dinner. The pizza was a four cheese, a margherita and a pepperoni. Good princess pizza. The movie, while long, was good as a movie. For those of us who grew up on the Hobbit and the D&D games it spawned, shades of all nighters rolling dice during college, the movie was not as true to the book as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but forgetting that it was an entertaining and good movie. So good, we will see it again on the next part of the cruise if we have time.

The we went to see Caliente, our favorite of the production shows. Good vocals, great dancing, a real treat. The cut to 35 minutes is noticeable as they cut out some of the dancing that rounds out the performance, but overall, we really enjoy this show and wish they would make more like this.

So today’s patter highlights – Zumba was at 0900, which we slept through – hey we’re on vacation! (But its back at 430, so we’ll make that one.) The port talk is at 1015 with Le Havre, the craft class is at 1115 with a ‘whimisical Greco’. Something we’re not too sure what it is. Astronomy lecture at 330. The egg drop challenge is at 230, ballroom is the meringue part II. Tonights entertainment is Snow White and Huntsman at MUTS, Dain Cordean, a comedy/magician is the headliner tonight in the theater. Tonight is the hoe down in Fusion, so we will be there line dancing.

Well, that is the plan for the day..

Process note. We have to turn our passports in to our room steward tonight for immigration purposes. We were surprised they did not collect them when we checked in. A lot of people have been concerned about this, but it is standard operating procedure for some itineraries.

There is one small section in Skywalkers where smoking is permitted.

When we were on the CB in Jan, there was no smoking in Skywalkers. There are a couple of places one can smoke. One area was on selected nights in the Casino and the other on one small area on the Promenade Deck. I held my breath when strolling in that area. Yuck!

When we were on the CB in Jan, there was no smoking in Skywalkers. There are a couple of places one can smoke. One area was on selected nights in the Casino and the other on one small area on the Promenade Deck. I held my breath when strolling in that area. Yuck!

As they allow fewer and smaller places for smokers, the more smokey and disgusting they get. I'm surprised anyone who dislikes or reacts badly would stroll in that area!

As they allow fewer and smaller places for smokers, the more smokey and disgusting they get. I'm surprised anyone who dislikes or reacts badly would stroll in that area!

I agree with your statement. 99% of the Princess ships are non-smoking now. It is very easy for anyone to avoid the smoking areas of the ship but still people will complain, as always, because they want the whole ship. If and when ships become non-smoking, the same people will find something else to complain about because that is all they seem able to do.

Just do not go to the very limited smoking areas on the ship and you should all be fine. Very easy to do! But some people will always want to complain about something, and this is the easiest... Next, it will be people who drink alcohol, eat too much or too little, too much perfume, etc.

Our tour guide was knowledgeable, energetic, enthusiastic – a real treat. She was definitely very, very proud of her island and wanted to show it off to everyone, and show us off to all the people we would meet. We like tours like this.

We've only been to the Azores once, on our TA on the Star back in 2010, and the thing we talk about to this day was how friendly the people were. We didn't do any tour, just walked around the town on our own, stopped for lunch and a beer (or two ;)). Everywhere we went, the people were incredibly friendly and VERY, VERY proud of their town.

We look forward to going back one day. :)

I too was up early this am and brought my coffee up on deck. I met a wonderful woman who is from Dublin and will be disembarking there so she has given me some great tips for getting around in Dublin.

I did not eat in the MDR last night but did have the lamb shanks in the Cafe Caribe and they were very good. The show last night was an instrumentalist and I wasn't interested so it was a milky way martini in Churchill's with friends and an early night. BTW ccrain, there are at least 7 or 8 people that I've met from CO Springs but we haven't met yet.

Had breakfast in Sabatini's this am and enjoyed it. Also hope to get up to the thermal suite today and get some use of that perk.

My internet connection speed is quite good in my room, almost as good as my DSL at home.

I did book the Sommelier's wine tasting tomorrow afternoon as I got a $5 off coupon. Will let you know how it is from a novice's perspective.

I concur with ccrain that the seas are pretty calm but the temperature is getting much cooler today.

All of the crew have been excellent and some special bar tenders/waitress in Churchill's have been outstanding.

More later........:D

Going on BI on June 5 and reading your posts with great interest. Thanks for taking the time to make them. If you have an opportunity, could you post some of the hints for Dublin that you heard? We plan to DYI Dublin. Thanks!

Archived