Marigot and Beach Suggestions - 6 ships in port

Trying to figure out a beach to go to after the market in Marigot. Also, do we go with a taxi or a car? Maybe a private tour, but not one that will only have us at Marigot for 30 minutes. She likes to shop.

Don't want to go to Orient, looking for something a little smaller, but with facilities and restaurants. Maho is out, wife works near an airport, planes fly over her all day, so she just isn't interested.

What are costs for two to get to Marigot if we do taxi? What would you expect costs to be to get to beach and back to port?

Thanks for your suggestions, we've never been to St. Maarten.

Looking forward to reading the responses you get. On all previous trips we have never gotten over to Marigot and we're hoping to make it this time.

There will be 5 ships in port carrying a total of 15,487 when we visit.....

Trying to figure out a beach to go to after the market in Marigot. Also, do we go with a taxi or a car? Maybe a private tour, but not one that will only have us at Marigot for 30 minutes. She likes to shop.

Don't want to go to Orient, looking for something a little smaller, but with facilities and restaurants. Maho is out, wife works near an airport, planes fly over her all day, so she just isn't interested.

What are costs for two to get to Marigot if we do taxi? What would you expect costs to be to get to beach and back to port?

If it is just two of you and you're looking at a private tour, you can dictate how long you stay in Marigot -- or anywhere else, but you're probably looking at $250 - $300 for a tour.

Taxi rates are set and posted. I have them on my PhotoBucket because the official site is down regularly. :

th_Destinationsnew.jpg th_taxi-chart-1.jpg

(click)

gary

We stayed at Captain Olivers which is actually 1/2 on the Dutch Side and 1/2 on the French Side. The hotel used a beach called Dawn Beach. It was small but at the time had a restaurant associated with it. This might be what you are looking for. I think it is near Oyster Bay to help orient you.

I think Marigot and Oyster bay or on opposite sides of Phillipsburg. I personally think Marigot was overated. Silver Cloud docked at Marigot and we were put ashore via tenders. Of course that was better than competing with all the Phillisburg ships, but mostly sidewalk shopping. I would do shopping in Phillisburg after the beach where you are close to the ship.

Shellunderwater your itinerary idea is excellent. You will really enjoy Marigot, we spent time there both daytime and nighttime while staying on St Martin and enjoyed it.

For a nice beach after yes, definitely avoid OB and you'll want a nice beach near Marigot or on the way back to Philipsburg. I would consider Baie Rouge, and if you have time look at Friar's Bay and Happy Bay to the north ot Marigot. A stop in Grand Case would also be nice if time permits.

I would rent a car as SXM is extremely easy to drive.

Have a great day, and I applaud your ability to go where the crowd doesn't!

Looking forward to reading the responses you get. On all previous trips we have never gotten over to Marigot and we're hoping to make it this time.

There will be 5 ships in port carrying a total of 15,487 when we visit.....

15,487 lol :D. How did you come up with that number. Are you my accountant!:D

That is a big number. Good plan to head to Marigot and well, anywhere but Maho or Orient. If you rent a car you might want to head over to Grand Case for lunch and a swim after your visit to Marigot.

We stayed at Captain Olivers which is actually 1/2 on the Dutch Side and 1/2 on the French Side. The hotel used a beach called Dawn Beach. It was small but at the time had a restaurant associated with it. This might be what you are looking for. I think it is near Oyster Bay to help orient you.

I think Marigot and Oyster bay or on opposite sides of Phillipsburg. I personally think Marigot was overated. Silver Cloud docked at Marigot and we were put ashore via tenders. Of course that was better than competing with all the Phillisburg ships, but mostly sidewalk shopping. I would do shopping in Phillisburg after the beach where you are close to the ship.

Thanks for the info. Wifey actually likes market type shopping, rather than in stores. The sidewalk aspect seems interesting.

Yes, Marigot is an enjoyable town to ship in as compared to Philipsburg. We also enjoyed a superb lunch at the marina if you don't make it to GC. The imported cuisine of St Martin is really amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived