Shame of Norwegian

BOBfromNJ

I off to teach my 4th year med students how to resection a bowel and save a life

You and DirtyDawg should get together : You can supply new bowels to people who demand them.

Plus seeing our economy is in the crapper . You two would make a good team. *LOL*

You and DirtyDawg should get together : You can supply new bowels to people who demand them.

Plus seeing our economy is in the crapper . You two would make a good team. *LOL*

But only if I could make money doing it! Funny, that's what RCI did. Good Capitalists that they are.

Sometimes demands (more like whining in this case) = opportunity = profits.

This wasn't charity on RCI's part - it was business.

That's personal responsibility.....playing a victim on TV to get something that wasn't even a necessity in getting their life back together...that's misguided entitlement.

I think that's exactly it, and personally I am tired of people using the word "compassion" & "have a heart" to manipulate and shame anyone with a different point of view. There is a huge difference between needing help with basic needs and the entire "woe is me" attitude so many in this country have developed. We see it everywhere, as if asking someone to do their job or take personal responsibility is taboo - we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Integrity, pride, work ethics, humility, shame, personal responsibility, lessons learned and so much more we try to teach our kids becomes white noise when the rest of the country says it is OK to be lazy, go into debt, blame everyone else, etc., because all you have to do is cry on social media, call a lawyer or the press and it will magically get fixed.

I think that's exactly it, and personally I am tired of people using the word "compassion" & "have a heart" to manipulate and shame anyone with a different point of view. There is a huge difference between needing help with basic needs and the entire "woe is me" attitude so many in this country have developed. We see it everywhere, as if asking someone to do their job or take personal responsibility is taboo - we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Integrity, pride, work ethics, humility, shame, personal responsibility, lessons learned and so much more we try to teach our kids becomes white noise when the rest of the country says it is OK to be lazy, go into debt, blame everyone else, etc., because all you have to do is cry on social media, call a lawyer or the press and it will magically get fixed.

Exactly, very well said.

Could not agree more .....:)

I had an old boss who used to say when someone was doing the "Woe is me " routine .

"You looking for Sympathy....its in Webster's Dictionary between Sh** and Syphillis."

Yes everyone makes a msitake , but some peoples mistakes encompess 20 , 30 years ...sometimes a lifetime. Some people are in mistake mode all their lives. We are just supposed to "have a heart" and write a check.

The compassion of some people on this bb is just amazing. :rolleyes:

How many of us here have ever failed to plan something properly and something bad happened. I'm not talking just about traveling, or cruising, but in life in general. In life, sh*t happens! If we were all perfect 100% of the time we would all plan accordingly, and never suffer any setbacks at all. But really, who on this bb is that perfect? Hey, I'm the closest to perfection of anyone I know, and I still screw up occasionally.:eek:

So they should have purchased travel insurance. I agree 100%. But, if this happened to me I would do all I could to try to fix it. I might have only a slight chance to actually succeed but I would, at least, try!

So, I for one applaud this family for trying ...and succeeding. And good on RCI for stepping up. You can't buy this type of good PR!

Just my 2 cents worth.

(but my 2 cents is worth a heck of alot more than your 2 cents;))

I thought you were supposed to actually learn from your mistakes. I guess this family only learned about "entitlements".

Post of the day!

I thought you were supposed to actually learn from your mistakes. I guess this family only learned about "entitlements".

Actually I think this family learned about business. They had something to sell and they found a willing buyer. They were willing to sell their "tale of woe" and RCI was willing to pay them for their own corporate greedy reasons. And Greed is Good!

I always think of entitlements as someone or some group getting special treatment or benefits at the expense of others i.e. the special group wins and the taxpayer loses. In this case there are only two winners.

Now, if this family wanted the State or the taxpayers to fund their mistake, I would agree with you and others on this board 100%. But that's not what happened in this case.

This case is like those tabloid magazines you find at the check-out counters. They maybe seemly and not something I would ever buy but I would, as a free market conservative, defend their right to sell that stuff and other people to buy it. If those magazines wanted the State or the taxpayer to fund their enterprise I would be the first to object.

Did this family send a letter to NCL? If they did, I'd be curious to see what it said. Maybe I'm the uncompassionate one, as I too have had plenty of adversity in my life. But, something just doesn't feel right about this whole story...as if there are pieces missing.

OK but what if it was you who didn't insure your property, or forgot and let the policy lapse. Would you at least try to fix the situation, or would you meekly accept your fate? So what if your kids couldn't go to college.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fix" the situation. If you mean "fix" it at the expense of taxpayers then that's not "fixing" it at all. That's just being a loser and one of millions of "moochers" in this country. If you mean taking responsibility for your own negligence (allowing policy to lapse) and living in a small apartment to save money, etc. so your kid could go to college (I would save for my own retirement first, though), then that's "fixing" it. Pushing off the burden to taxpayers is "fixing" nothing except flushing this once great country further down the toilet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fix" the situation. If you mean "fix" it at the expense of taxpayers then that's not "fixing" it at all. That's just being a loser and one of millions of "moochers" in this country. If you mean taking responsibility for your own negligence (allowing policy to lapse) and living in a small apartment to save money, etc. so your kid could go to college (I would save for my own retirement first, though), then that's "fixing" it. Pushing off the burden to taxpayers is "fixing" nothing except flushing this once great country further down the toilet.

But in this case that family did not push the burden off to taxpayers. They found a free market 'fix' to their problem. Frankly, that is taking responibility for their negligence.

But in this case that family did not push the burden off to taxpayers. They found a free market 'fix' to their problem. Frankly, that is taking responibility for their negligence.

No its not....thats letting RCCL take responsibility for their negligence:rolleyes:.

Please see the entire email - other poster was talking about allowing home insurance to lapse - we were talking about a different scenario. Even under these facts, however - don't you think RCL passes on these types of costs to other cruisers? I bet they do.

Let me toss out some questions about this scenario.

Did the subjects of this fiasco have their house and contents insured ?

Who were the two "guests" who were included ?

What was their financial status ? ( The reason for this is some comments about K Sheehan's wealth. He also lost his home.)

This thread has restored my faith in humanity because of some who have suffered losses and stepped up to handle it and moved on.

The years have caused me to question some of the things I see and have made me a little less sympathetic to what I call "beggers".

Example -- I was in my car in a supermarket parking area and a young lady with a baby was hitting on every shopper asking for money for food for the baby. I may have gotten there near the end of her quest, but saw her receive several dollars from people, then she went to a new Cadillac Escalade and drove away. Disgusting to say the least. I reported her to the local police, and haven't seen her since.

Back to the subject of this thread. Question what you see and hear before you open your wallet or sympathize with losers. It could be a scam .

No its not....thats letting RCCL take responsibility for their negligence:rolleyes:.

No. RCCL is profiting from this. This is simply a PR/Marketing expense for them, just like radio, TV, or print ads. RCCL was more than happy to take advantage of the situation because it will make them more money.

No. RCCL is profiting from this. This is simply a PR/Marketing expense for them, just like radio, TV, or print ads. RCCL was more than happy to take advantage of the situation because it will make them more money.

They may be profiting but they are also taking on the responsibility of providing a cruise to the people who did not get insurance. There is nothing you can say that will convince me that those people took PERSONAL responsibility to replace what they lost by not purchasing insurance....they turned that responsibility over to RCCL who gladly took it on as a publicity stunt...

There is no free lunch. Somebody always pays.

Of course they do....but when RCCL gave them that cruise out of their pocket then they took on the responsibity for the people who got out of paying for a makeup cruise they were rightfully responsible for when they refused to purchase travel insurance;).

Please see the entire email - other poster was talking about allowing home insurance to lapse - we were talking about a different scenario. Even under these facts, however - don't you think RCL passes on these types of costs to other cruisers? I bet they do.

I am sure there is a local community college in your area where they offer Business 101 or Marketing 101 courses. There are also some very good text books which address the issue of whether Marketing Spend is an expense or an investment and the ways company's use their marketing spending to actually improve their productivity and profitability which allows companies to keep prices low.

I am sure there is a local community college in your area where they offer Business 101 or Marketing 101 courses. There are also some very good text books which address the issue of whether Marketing Spend is an expense or an investment and the ways company's use their marketing spending to actually improve their productivity and profitability which allows companies to keep prices low.

Understand that. I went to college too. I just think the correct slant of the story could have been that these poor folks lost their house, but thankfully can rebuild BECAUSE THE HAD INSURANCE! But they also lost their cruise BUT DIDN'T HAVE INSURANCE! Lesson learned: buy insurance. AND NCL IS NOT THE BAD GUY IN THIS. READ THE CONTRACT!

Oh wait! RCL drives up on a white horse and gives them a cruise. But has to put down NCL, their competition as a byproduct.

I don't like politicians or businesses who advertise negatively about their rival rather than on their own attributes. So, guess what? This marketing ploy didn't work on me.

Archived