Whales?

shofer

Have there been any whale sightings yet in Alaska? We are leaving for Anchorage on 5/15 and board the ship on 5/20. Got a whale watching tour booked for Juneau.

In 2003, we did this cruise and only saw one whale on a tour but lots of them from the ship as we progressed south toward Vancouver. Sure would like to have a good sighting of a pod if possible.

I did a whale watching tour in Hawaii in January, 2006 in Maui and saw lots of them at that time.

Sue

I'll be cruising in July and I love to look for whales from the ship. Is it likely that I'll see some? If so, is there an area that is more likely than others? I'll be on a 14 day back to back cruise from Vancouver to Whittier and back. Thank you.

I'll be cruising in July and I love to look for whales from the ship. Is it likely that I'll see some? If so, is there an area that is more likely than others? I'll be on a 14 day back to back cruise from Vancouver to Whittier and back. Thank you.

There are many areas. Snow Passage you need to find out when transiting. Northbound, usually later afternoon out of Ketchikan.

Real early into Juneau, and Glaicer Bay, meaning, ideal an hour prior to dawn- northbound, southbound out of Glacier Bay- staying out several hours.

IF you are serious- then you need a forward viewing, and plan on investing- hours and you then need to be happy with a couple minutes of viewing. Necessary are a good pair of wide angle binoculars. I am in this mode every trip, frankly few other people are as intent.

Got an e-mail from one of the vendors we use in Hoonah/Icy Strait and she said "There are 3 whales today feeding right in front of the downtown city float." So wish I could have been there to see the whales.

Got an e-mail from one of the vendors we use in Hoonah/Icy Strait and she said "There are 3 whales today feeding right in front of the downtown city float." So wish I could have been there to see the whales.

Don't you have the option for a few weeks of migration boat tours? Pretty much the tail end now, but, I've gone to San Francisco in this time frame, and went out several times with decent sightings. Hawaii is the most concentrated well worth the time in Maui. Tours are cheap, and it is a simple matter of seeing them everyday from shorelines with a good pair of binoculars. Add to the mix, the hot spot out of Gloucester, where I'm also at every summer. Again, cheap boat tours and ease of going out twice per day, always at least 6 trips. :)

Don't you have the option for a few weeks of migration boat tours? Pretty much the tail end now, but, I've gone to San Francisco in this time frame, and went out several times with decent sightings. Hawaii is the most concentrated well worth the time in Maui. Tours are cheap, and it is a simple matter of seeing them everyday from shorelines with a good pair of binoculars. Add to the mix, the hot spot out of Gloucester, where I'm also at every summer. Again, cheap boat tours and ease of going out twice per day, always at least 6 trips. :)

Which tours do you use in Glouster? What month is the best for whale sightings in summer?

Thanks,

Judy

Yes, I guess we could consider San Francisco if we were going to make a weekend trip there. Unfortunately, my husband's work schedule keeps him so busy that we hardly have time to "just get away." Hence, we lump vacation time together once a year. We are hoping that when his retirement comes around in a couple of years we can do more traveling without constraints.

Yes, I guess we could consider San Francisco if we were going to make a weekend trip there. Unfortunately, my husband's work schedule keeps him so busy that we hardly have time to "just get away." Hence, we lump vacation time together once a year. We are hoping that when his retirement comes around in a couple of years we can do more traveling without constraints.

I'm very thankful, I have always had a lot of vacation time, 8 paid weeks off per year, and unlimited "swap" time- and used every day of it, traveling. No plans on ever cutting back.

Which tours do you use in Glouster? What month is the best for whale sightings in summer?

Thanks,

Judy

I have been going out for at least 10 years with Cape Ann Whale watch, and Yankee Fleet. But have gone out with several others over the years. Key is Gloucester is FAR more viewing compared to Boston- which boat tours, require at least an extra 45 minutes in transit time.

There are many areas. Snow Passage you need to find out when transiting. Northbound, usually later afternoon out of Ketchikan.

Real early into Juneau, and Glaicer Bay, meaning, ideal an hour prior to dawn- northbound, southbound out of Glacier Bay- staying out several hours.

IF you are serious- then you need a forward viewing, and plan on investing- hours and you then need to be happy with a couple minutes of viewing. Necessary are a good pair of wide angle binoculars. I am in this mode every trip, frankly few other people are as intent.

Thanks. I am looking forward to trying to catch a sighting from the ship. I've seen whales a couple of times and hope for more. Yes, I do need a good pair of binoculars. Thanks for the tips.

Archived