Journey - live

excitedofharpenden

[quote name='Bill Leiber'][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Hello Sue -[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Our 2014 itinerary line-up will not include Egypt. Well be following the political situation and will take a very conservative approach when we evaluate whether to include it in the future.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Best regards,[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Bill Leiber[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]__________________[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Chief Blogging Officer*[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Azamara Club Cruises [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3](*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
That's news to me, as far as I can see, our cruise leaving on April 15th 2014 will be visiting Safaga. So where will it be going Bill?
I really would be interested in knowing :confused:

[quote name='lady peacock']Hi Everyone

We were in the port of Columbo in Sri Lanka (Costa Atlantica) the same time as the Journey.

Having spent a wonderful holiday aboard the Journey, all I want to say is why on earth have they painted the hull :rolleyes:

I prefered the Journey totally white.[/QUOTE]
Funnily enough I was talking to Captain Johannes yesterday about this. On some itineraries it is very difficult to get the ship in for hull paintwork attention and the rust was very noticeable on the Antarctic voyage. They took a few external shots of the ship from zodiacs and the hull looked a bit tatty. This was one of the reasons they changed colour as it is much easier to hide the rust and the captains were keen to do it. One of the other reasons was undoubtedly to distinguish the ship from others of the same ship, but different lines. Example today is that one of the Oceania ships is in front of us in the canal. I actually prefer the (very) dark blue hull.

Nearly through now. Lots of flies outside.

Phil

[quote name='Glenndale']That's news to me, as far as I can see, our cruise leaving on April 15th 2014 will be visiting Safaga. So where will it be going Bill?
I really would be interested in knowing :confused:[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Hello Sue and Glenndale -[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I'm very sorry for responding with the wrong information. The Azamara Journey will be visiting Dubai, Luxor and Petra in April 2014 and I will be checking with our itinerary planner to reconfirm and to find out about 2015. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]In my effort to respond swiftly, I did not review the actual itineraries and misspoke. I apologize for this stupid mistake.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Sincerely, [/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Bill Leiber[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]__________________[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Chief Blogging Officer*[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Azamara Club Cruises [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3](*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Hello Sue and Glenndale -

I'm very sorry for responding with the wrong information. The Azamara Journey will be visiting Dubai, Luxor and Petra in April 2014 and I will be checking with our itinerary planner to reconfirm and to find out about 2015.

In my effort to respond swiftly, I did not review the actual itineraries and misspoke. I apologize for this stupid mistake.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Bill,

Per the itinerary online the April 15 cruise does not go to Dubai. Perhaps Dubai is offered as an excursion from another port, but fyi Dubai is not listed on your website, unless the itinerary has changed and the website needs to be updated.

Can you ask your itinerary planner if an Amazon cruise will be offered in 2015?

Funnily enough I was talking to Captain Johannes yesterday about this. On some itineraries it is very difficult to get the ship in for hull paintwork attention and the rust was very noticeable on the Antarctic voyage. They took a few external shots of the ship from zodiacs and the hull looked a bit tatty. This was one of the reasons they changed colour as it is much easier to hide the rust and the captains were keen to do it. One of the other reasons was undoubtedly to distinguish the ship from others of the same ship, but different lines. Example today is that one of the Oceania ships is in front of us in the canal. I actually prefer the (very) dark blue hull.

Nearly through now. Lots of flies outside.

Phil

Now it all makes sense and as ever we need the wisdom of a Captain to keep us in line!

I bet you are not wanting the adventure to end, sounds like its been wonderful and though from time to time, your report thread sometimes went off track, thanks for your diligence in coming back so we could hear the scoop

Bill,

Per the itinerary online the April 15 cruise does not go to Dubai. Perhaps Dubai is offered as an excursion from another port, but fyi Dubai is not listed on your website, unless the itinerary has changed and the website needs to be updated.

Can you ask your itinerary planner if an Amazon cruise will be offered in 2015?

Hello Jade13, Sue, Glenndale and other readers -

I have learned more information about this 2014 voyage from our itinerary planner.

First, based on the initial question from Sue prompted from information shown on a travel agent's website, he cautions that the most accurate itinerary information will be found on our website. Once we publish our voyages, we really have no control over who copies its information for distribution nor can we control any updates to all these unofficial sites in case something does change.

Usually, we publish itineraries about 17-18 months prior to the beginning of the calendar year and even longer before the operation of some of these voyages. For example, we opened 2014 in early August of 2012. Therefore, changes on all voyages can occur and our own web site is always official and up to date based on the latest confirmed information.

We were never to call at Port Said on this voyage which is why we never mentioned Cairo anywhere. Suez on the southern end of the canal and Port Said on the northern end of the canal, are sometimes shown as reference for entering/exiting the canal. The political situation in Cairo is too unstable and fluid to risk a call there.

We do not see this situation changing for 2015 and we are not planning to include a visit to Cairo neither via Alexandria nor Port Said in 2015. Safaga, for Luxor, is quite different from Cairo and due to Luxor's dependence on tourism, it is usually not a hot bed for any kind of protests.

With respect to Dubai being included on this voyage, it will be offered as an excursion from Fujairah, which is part of the United Arab Emirates. We have successfully operated this tour in the past. Similar to the fact that we do not offer a shuttle bus from Civitavecchia to Rome or from Livorno to Florence. there will be no shuttle bus from Fujairah to Dubai; a drive of about 1.45 hrs; each way. However, there will be a shuttle bus from the pier to the town of Fujairah.

As "Jade" accurately commented, "per the itinerary online the April 15 cruise does not go to Dubai. Perhaps Dubai is offered as an excursion from another port, but fyi Dubai is not listed on your website, unless the itinerary has changed and the website needs to be updated."

This brings me back to the initial statement the our website is THE source for accurate itinerary information. Our website presents this voyage with the title: "17 Night Emirates, Luxor & Petra Voyage." The itinerary line is shown as: FRI 18-APR Fujairah, United Arab Emirates.

I added to the confusion, however, when I responded with the statement, "The Azamara Journey will be visiting Dubai, Luxor and Petra in April 2014 ..."which I sourced from the title information published in our 2014 Destination Guide. Also, the itinerary line is shown as: FRI/ 18-APR Fujairah (Dubai), United Arab Emirates.

Our marketing team will be considering what changes to make to our website so that viewer will understand that visiting Dubai is an option from Fujairah. It's similar to our showing "Piraeus (Athens)" and "Civitavecchia (Rome)."

Jade, we will not be including the Amazon in 2015.

I hope this information clears up the Egypt and Dubai situation. I know that it has for me!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)2

Thanks Bill there certainly seems to be a lot of confusion however I understand that you do not control what others publicize..however I would hate people to be mislead and the site I mentioned is a MAJOR discounted Vacations website.

I am totally new to Azamara so feel like a total newbie altogether. When will we know about the AmAmazing evening I keep seeing mentioned..or if the details are already available where will I find them?

Sue

I think some ships hire Israeli Mossad/former Mossad.

I was on Oceania and they had Israeli guards on board from Singapore to Athens.....we had no blackouts then....2006

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

And felt perfectly safe the entire time!

It was great meeting Phil and finally putting a face to 'Excited' - now I know why he calls himself that....(sorry, Phil, couldn't resist).

The trip was absolutely wonderful and we were sorry to have to disembark yesterday. The irony is that, having never felt in danger on the ship, we were mugged in Athens....

So, for those of you who are thinking of this particular itinerary but are worried about possible attacks, stop fretting and get booking!

Elaine

Elaine, it was great meeting you and so many other CCers, but I'm really sorry to hear you were mugged in Athens. I hope you are ok. I got back yesterday evening and am pretty tired from travelling and what with sorting out the house which is in chaos from home improvements started whilst I was away I'm not in the mood to do a final as it's taking me a while to find kettle, toaster, cutlery. I need Journey's lunch buffet again.

Phil

Welcome home Phil and thanks for all your updates along the way. It sounds like a great trip.

I do not envy you the chaos post kitchen refurbishment, its going to be worse at lunchtime, the nice little man is not going to find your wine glass never mind top it up ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Glad you had a great trip Phil. We just booked our first two cruises on Quest, a B2B at Christmas/New Year's. :)

Ed, that's great to hearicon14.gif Given your broad range of cruise experiences I'll be interested to know your thoughts when you get back.

Beachb, the only known way I have found to beat the post cruise blues is to have another booked. Looking forward to September :)

Phil

Ed, that's great to hearicon14.gif Given your broad range of cruise experiences I'll be interested to know your thoughts when you get back. Phil

Thanks for the nice words Phil. Well, we are sorta making the rounds on the "R" class ships. We sailed on Renaissance and Oceania on them. We leave next Tuesday to sail on Pacific Princess. And then we sail on Azamara at Christmas. I guess there worse things to "have" to do. :D

Thanks Phil for your live review.

We were on the Mariner of the Seas heading to Dubai while you made your Northbound transit to Santorini so we crossed paths in the canal on the 12th May. Captain Johannes gave us a salute to which Captain Flemming replied (several times !!!).

WZ thought that you might like to have a photo of the Journey's maiden transit of the Suez Canal in her new livery :)

8998566005_5e5925822a_c.jpg

Our itinerary included Safaga (for Luxor and the Valley of the Kings) and Aqaba (for Petra). Petra will remain in our memories forever. I do hope that Azamara keeps their itinerary for next year. If the Journey had stopped in Aqaba and Safaga on her Northbound itinerary this year, we would have booked the cruise in a heartbeat....... especially with Captain Johannes at the helm :)

For information, even though the Mariner is a considerably larger vessel, presence on verandahs was not permitted from sunset to sunrise and, of course, curtains had to be closed and outside lights off. Outside decks were also closed. This was perfectly acceptable to us and we did not expect a disclaimer on the website.

All the best

B&T

For information, even though the Mariner is a considerably larger vessel, presence on verandahs was not permitted from sunset to sunrise and, of course, curtains had to be closed and outside lights off. Outside decks were also closed. This was perfectly acceptable to us and we did not expect a disclaimer on the website.

Obviously we are talking only about the days when the "safe haven" measures were in force.

B&T

Thanks Phil for your live review.

We were on the Mariner of the Seas heading to Dubai while you made your Northbound transit to Santorini so we crossed paths in the canal on the 12th May. Captain Johannes gave us a salute to which Captain Flemming replied (several times !!!).

WZ thought that you might like to have a photo of the Journey's maiden transit of the Suez Canal in her new livery :)

Our itinerary included Safaga (for Luxor and the Valley of the Kings) and Aqaba (for Petra). Petra will remain in our memories forever. I do hope that Azamara keeps their itinerary for next year. If the Journey had stopped in Aqaba and Safaga on her Northbound itinerary this year, we would have booked the cruise in a heartbeat....... especially with Captain Johannes at the helm :)

All the best

B&T

Thanks too B&T. I caught a shot of you also, slightly cut off because it was so bright I couldn't really see the display. I was front and centre of the ship, one deck up from the bridge, but you can't see me;):

DSCN0956_zps6d5b611f.jpg

I did a couple of short movies with the dueling horns too. Always fun (hope they work):

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/excitedofharpenden/media/DSCN0954_zpsc16b4c3d.mp4.html

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/excitedofharpenden/media/DSCN0955_zpsfe82f797.mp4.html

Phil

Archived