EPIC - Bathrooms???

chelle74

We are thinking about booking the Epic in January. We will be traveling with our three kids and my MIL and will probably get two inside staterooms (one for MIL and kids, one for DH and myself). I'm looking at the floor plans, and besides the fact that the sf is less than the OF cabin we had on the Sun, it looks like the bathroom is basically open except for clear doors on the toilet and shower stalls. Is that right?? Will someone please describe, in detail, the layout of the bathrooms on the inside cabins?

Yes, that's pretty accurate but the doors are not exactly "clear" but are frosted. Here's a link to a utube video of an inside cabin:

Note that there is a curtain that can be pulled to separate (at least visually) the sleeping area from the shower/toilet area. You can probably do an internet search and find other pictures/videos.

There has been lots of discussion on CC about Epic's bathroom design. A forum search willl probably bring you more information than you ever wanted to know!

Thanks for the video link. I watched the one for the solo cabin as well... Weird that they would make the solo cabin toilet more private than a regular cabin toilet. I'm not as concerned about the shower. Just a really odd layout.

I was on the epic 10/11. Yes the door to the toilet and shower doors are glass but you really can't see through it. To me it was a tight fit and I am only 5'4" which bothered me more than the transparency. The mini suite bathroom is a bit bigger in size but the " noise" issue from the bathroom (if you get my drift) was more disconcerting than the visual issue. And I was sharing the room with my dh of 20 plus years.

That being said I just got used to it. There were more positive things about the ship which outweighed the negative of the bathroom.

Except for the tv's. Not much to watch at night but maybe that was because we were in the med. that really was more annoying that the bathroom. Not that I go on a cruise to watch tv but even the movies were limited. Sometimes i like to fall asleep watching a movie and that was not an option on the epic.

The Epic is the only one with that design. I had a spa deluxe balcony (same BR layout) with my DM. It was odd but we did fine. Its tricky when someone pulls the curtain for some privacy but you want to come in to the cabin or exit. You can to walk through. Also, if we needed "alone" restroom time we would just tell each other. I have sailed the Epic since and am booked again next year. Not ideal but they didnt disuade me.

I may be wrong but I believe that the Epic is the only ship NCL has with that design.

You are correct. We went to the Breakaway/Getaway presentation on our cruise in April and the cruise consultant did bring up the bathrooms and said they moved away from the European bathrooms that are on Epic and are back to an American-style bathroom on the new ships. A couple of people applauded but I wasn't sure what it was all about because I hadn't seen them.

My DH won't care one way or another. I, on the other hand, prefer total privacy, even after 8 years together. I don't think this will be a deal-breaker for booking the Epic, but I am concerned about it.

Quick question here. We took our first ever cruise this Spring on NCL and can't wait to do it again! Thinking about Epic next time, I understand the bathroom layout is unique. Would just be the two of us, married 25+ years. Is there some privacy to be had or are we talking about just a shower curtain? Thanks Jamie

You are correct. We went to the Breakaway/Getaway presentation on our cruise in April and the cruise consultant did bring up the bathrooms and said they moved away from the European bathrooms that are on Epic and are back to an American-style bathroom on the new ships. A couple of people applauded but I wasn't sure what it was all about because I hadn't seen them.

My DH won't care one way or another. I, on the other hand, prefer total privacy, even after 8 years together. I don't think this will be a deal-breaker for booking the Epic, but I am concerned about it.

The bathrooms on the Epic are defenitely not European. I have travelled a lot in Europe and I have never seen anything like that here. I have once had a bathroom similar to the bathrooms on the Epic but that was on a hotel in the US!

There is "some' privacy. The shower has a door. However, only the middle is frosted. So if you are really short or really tall your parts to be covered may fall out of the frosted range. The door to the toilet room is frosted. With the light on (especially if the room lights are off) you can see shapes in the that area. But its not see through. Also as mentioned there is a curtain you can pull to seperate the shower/ toilet area from the rest of the room which gives some privacy. This is as long as whoever you are travelling with doesnt need to get in/ out of the cabin as they would have to pass through the curtained area.

There is "some' privacy. The shower has a door. However, only the middle is frosted. So if you are really short or really tall your parts to be covered may fall out of the frosted range. The door to the toilet room is frosted. With the light on (especially if the room lights are off) you can see shapes in the that area. But its not see through. Also as mentioned there is a curtain you can pull to seperate the shower/ toilet area from the rest of the room which gives some privacy. This is as long as whoever you are travelling with doesnt need to get in/ out of the cabin as they would have to pass through the curtained area.

I don't think this is completely accurate. Except for the studios the shower is completely frosted.

The bathrooms on the Epic are defenitely not European. I have travelled a lot in Europe and I have never seen anything like that here. I have once had a bathroom similar to the bathrooms on the Epic but that was on a hotel in the US!

For the record, "European" was her word, not mine! When she said European, I thought that must mean they had a bidet in them, which would be pretty cool IMO.

The bathroom setup on Epic was almost exactly like all three hotels I've stayed at in Amsterdam, down to the fixtures. Last time I was in London my hotel had the sink open to the room but the toilet and shower were behind a door.

The shower is completely frosted, not partially, in balcony and mini-suite rooms

Quick question here. We took our first ever cruise this Spring on NCL and can't wait to do it again! Thinking about Epic next time, I understand the bathroom layout is unique. Would just be the two of us, married 25+ years. Is there some privacy to be had or are we talking about just a shower curtain? Thanks Jamie

As you come in the door, the shower is to your right and the toilet to your left..or vice versa. Both use thick frosted glass doors that slide open. The sink is a few feet further into the room on the shower side. There is a solid curtain that spans the room and separates this shower/toilet area from the rest of the stateroom.

Our family liked the setup. It allowed us to multi-task. We never had a privacy issue.

There are lots of pictures of these bathrooms around. Just do a google search on Norwegian Epic bathroom or similar

The bathroom setup on Epic was almost exactly like all three hotels I've stayed at in Amsterdam, down to the fixtures. Last time I was in London my hotel had the sink open to the room but the toilet and shower were behind a door.

Maybe it's Amsterdam style? I have been in Amsterdam but only over the day so I don't know how the hotels are there.

We are thinking about booking the Epic in January. We will be traveling with our three kids and my MIL and will probably get two inside staterooms (one for MIL and kids, one for DH and myself). I'm looking at the floor plans, and besides the fact that the sf is less than the OF cabin we had on the Sun, it looks like the bathroom is basically open except for clear doors on the toilet and shower stalls. Is that right?? Will someone please describe, in detail, the layout of the bathrooms on the inside cabins?

Just think of the stateroom as a large bathroom with a short bed in the middle of it.

I am thinking that the bathrooms on the Epic have generated maybe 10,000 posts over the past two(?) years since the Epic came out. Never saw anything so debated other than dress code or pool chairs.

And, as far as I can tell, there is somewhere near a mixed feeling both ways on this.

Having stayed on the Epic, I will say that while the restroom in the staterooms was awkward, it will not prevent me from sailing on the Epic again. It just requires a bit of coordination with your cabinmates. The cabins are already cramped enough, so this usually sorts itself out really quick.

Archived