Campaign for free wifi on all RCCL ships?

If it were free for everyone to use, I'm guessing it would be amazingly slow.

It is already amazingly slow. And that's with the current high price tags.

It may be feasible some years down the road, but no way for now. Presently affordable technology is the bottle neck, not Royal's policies.

You also have to consider if free wifi is beneficial to the cruise lines even when technology becomes available and affordable. Cruise ships are not hotels. Cruise lines do not like it if everyone is cooped up in their room surfing the Internet. That would seriously hurt their on board spending. So unless you can think of ways to help cruise lines make money by offering you wifi, it still won't happen.

Edited by sail2sea

Why stop at free Wi-Fi? Why charge for soda? A lot more people drink soda than use the internet. Make soda free! And spa treatments should be free too. We all deserve a massage. So make it free. While were at it, alcoholic drinks should be free too. A lot more people drink those than use the internet. Oh heck, just make everything free, that way I don't have to keep track.

What's that? The cost of my cruise just doubled? That's OK, the OP will pay for everyone.

Enjoy

Ron

No desire for this. Personally I love disconnecting. On our last sailing when we pulled into San Juan and everyone's phones started working I hated it. The last thing I want is to hear everyone's Skype and FaceTime conversations.

Why stop at free Wi-Fi? Why charge for soda? A lot more people drink soda than use the internet. Make soda free! And spa treatments should be free too. We all deserve a massage. So make it free. While were at it, alcoholic drinks should be free too. A lot more people drink those than use the internet. Oh heck, just make everything free, that way I don't have to keep track.

What's that? The cost of my cruise just doubled? That's OK, the OP will pay for everyone.

Enjoy

Ron

Great ! Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion

:-)

Oh Lord, no. We all know how slow it already is. If everyone were on it downloading apps and streaming and ugh....no one would be able to use it for anything.

No. It is fine how it is. I don't know of a single company or industry that offers free satellite wifi.

It's much harder to find in Australia. You can't even get a "free" code with a coffee purchase in most places. They make you buy a plan.

Every McDonalds in Australia has free wi-fi as do a lot of coffee shops etc. Many libraries also. It is becoming more and more common for businesses to attract trade by offering free wi-fi.

And for other poster talking about wi-fi costs in hotels. In my experience the more expensive the hotel, the more expensive the wi-fi. Stay in a $59 per night hotel and get free wi-fi, stay in a $600 per night hotel and pay $30 for internet:eek:

Harris CapRock has completed installing advanced communication solutions across Royal Caribbean's cruise ships that will add high-bandwidth services onboard. The new upgrades will improve crew morale, guest experiences and company operational efficiencies.

Royal Caribbean awarded the contract back in May 2012 to improve the communications services onboard Royal Caribbean's fleet. Harris has upgraded these services across 33 ships, including sister companies Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises.

“The new high-performing communication service deployed across our fleet enables innovative information technology solutions that improve both the crew and the guest experience while also improving our operational efficiencies. Harris CapRock’s capability as a world-class communications systems integrator makes this possible through seamless service delivery backed by 24/7 monitoring to ensure communications are always on,” said Bill Martin, vice president and chief information officer, Royal Caribbean.

During the nine-month process, Harris CapRock performed a number of services including the de-installation and installation of more than 120 large antenna systems onboard the fleet. Each ship was equipped with Harris CapRock’s SpaceTrack™ stabilized antenna systems, which deliver more than five times the amount of bandwidth previously available. The solution combines Ku-band and C-band connectivity to maximize service availability and avoid downtime.

No desire for this. Personally I love disconnecting. On our last sailing when we pulled into San Juan and everyone's phones started working I hated it. The last thing I want is to hear everyone's Skype and FaceTime conversations.

*gasp* hadn't even CONSIDERED this!!! it drives me up the wall on land!

Plus, not having internet access forced me to check out the ship activities. Like the swing dance class (and buy a drink afterwards). Or the Thriller dance class (and buy a drink afterwards). If everyone was just sitting somewhere plugged in, people wouldn't buy as many drinks - which is the cruise industry's cash cow.

This would really add a lot to the cost of a cruise. Satellite time is not free...it's very expensive. If it were free, everyone would be using it, and they would have to have more transceivers. Instead of the 2-4 satellite balls (gimbaled dishes inside) the entire upper deck would be filled with them. There would probably be no sunny areas on deck. Cost of the cruise would easily be double the current prices.

My suggestion would be, that based on your own research, if you think this is a good idea, start your own cruise line. If it's as doable as you say, then it would certainly be a popular line.

Harris CapRock has completed installing advanced communication solutions across Royal Caribbean's cruise ships that will add high-bandwidth services onboard. The new upgrades will improve crew morale, guest experiences and company operational efficiencies.

Royal Caribbean awarded the contract back in May 2012 to improve the communications services onboard Royal Caribbean's fleet. Harris has upgraded these services across 33 ships, including sister companies Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises.

“The new high-performing communication service deployed across our fleet enables innovative information technology solutions that improve both the crew and the guest experience while also improving our operational efficiencies. Harris CapRock’s capability as a world-class communications systems integrator makes this possible through seamless service delivery backed by 24/7 monitoring to ensure communications are always on,” said Bill Martin, vice president and chief information officer, Royal Caribbean.

During the nine-month process, Harris CapRock performed a number of services including the de-installation and installation of more than 120 large antenna systems onboard the fleet. Each ship was equipped with Harris CapRock’s SpaceTrack™ stabilized antenna systems, which deliver more than five times the amount of bandwidth previously available. The solution combines Ku-band and C-band connectivity to maximize service availability and avoid downtime.

Thanks for this. In a previous post i have explained how it would be possible.

Assuming that the ship has 4.8GHz of bandwidth which can be supplied by a leading satcoms company and also assuming that 5000 passengers and crew are using the Internet at the same time, it would mean they would be receiving just under 1mb of Internet speed. It's highly unlikely that 5000 people will be using the Internet at the same time.

That said it is more likely that at any given time about 20% of the aforementioned 5000 passengers and crew will be online at once, this will give a broadband speed of 5mbs per person which is more than adequate!!!

That sounds great, along with the new unlimited plans they've been trying out on a few ships. I don't mind paying for internet access if it's not too expensive. I think I read that on recent Allure sailings it was ninety-nine dollars for unlimited access on a week-long cruise. I'd be very happy with that.

I think I'm in the minority here; I spend a lot of time relaxing in my cabin or on my balcony, watching the ocean and reading or browsing the internet. It may not be everyone's idea of a perfect vacation but it works for me.

Besides, if we all spend our cruising time in different ways and at different venues, it makes it better and less crowded for everyone :)

And for other poster talking about wi-fi costs in hotels. In my experience the more expensive the hotel, the more expensive the wi-fi. Stay in a $59 per night hotel and get free wi-fi, stay in a $600 per night hotel and pay $30 for internet:eek:

That has been my experience also.

Thanks for this. In a previous post i have explained how it would be possible.

Assuming that the ship has 4.8GHz of bandwidth which can be supplied by a leading satcoms company and also assuming that 5000 passengers and crew are using the Internet at the same time, it would mean they would be receiving just under 1mb of Internet speed. It's highly unlikely that 5000 people will be using the Internet at the same time.

That said it is more likely that at any given time about 20% of the aforementioned 5000 passengers and crew will be online at once, this will give a broadband speed of 5mbs per person which is more than adequate!!!

So, once again you are suggesting that the cruise lines upgrade their Internet access and charge less. Of course they would just charge everyone $10 more per day to make up for the loss revenue. They could also charge everyone an extra $10 per day and give away the soft drinks. And they could charge everyone an extra $40 per day and given away the the t-shirts. And they could charges an extra $40 per day and give away the photographs. I'm sure there are other things they could give away for "free" by charging everyone for it.

Have you priced the luxury lines lately. You know, the ones that claim everything is included. Those lines charge three times what Royal Caribbean charges. The meals on board are not "free", they are included. The cabin is not "free", it is included. When you buy a car, the engine is not "free" it is included. When you buy a TV that offers PIP (picture in a picture) the second tuner is not "free" it is included.

In short - there is no "free" lunch.

Marriott (and I think other chains too) will waive the internet charges once you get to the second or third membership rewards tier :)

Big deal. I am tried of being asked to pay as much per day to gain Internet access as I do at home for a month. Basically I don't do it. If the hotel is going to charge me a high price for the room and then an outrageous price for Internet access, I'll just skip the Internet access.