Campaign for free wifi on all RCCL ships?

Only way i see this happening is if they start losing business to an upstart competitor who offers it first.

I would settle for reasonably priced unlimited packages rather than the exorbitant, archaic, per minute 90's AOL/Prodigy plans that they offer currently.

Has any major cruise line ever started including something at no additional cost that they previously had charged separately for?

I thought I read the rock climbing wall was originally a fee based item.

Edited by EVALUATOR

Has any major cruise line ever started including something at no additional cost that they previously had charged separately for?

Disney originally charged for soda cards (like most other lines) but went to free soda after enough customers comments.

Exactly- the inference was that we weren't aware of that- Duh!!! However, as I am not a taxpayer in Belgium, France and Germany it actually was free in public places like malls etc:D

I agree 100%. But if you spent money anywhere in these countries you paid taxes, hotel, restaurant, or whatever. If there is one thing we agree on, somebody paid for that free internet access.

Comparing the price on a cruise ship to the 2-3 cents product price increase you might pay for free internet access in McDonald's is certainly not a fair comparison. Increasing your hamburger price to recoup the internet access cost, is just added into labor, taxes, utilities, etc...

I don't know if internet access is a profit center at RCCL? But I suspect they at least break even. I do know on the Allure the low price weekly access fee attracted a lot of customers. There were many more cruisers using the internet than I had even seen on any other cruise. The other large issue I haven't seen discussed is cost per MB, Does RCCL pay for MB's or bandwidth, or both?

My OP subject opinion. If you want internet access on a cruise ship you should pay extra for it.

Not at all interested. We turn our phones off and put them in the safe. We don't bring a computer with us. If we need one, then we will pay for our usage.

If you need WiFi, pay for it.

Same here. I actually love the fact that the entire family unplugs for the week. If someone needs to check in at work/home, they just pay for the usage.

...and it's already amazingly slow. Give me back my luggage tag mailers before 'free' wifi. :D

Hehehehe...love it! Amen to that! IMO, the world has become too addicted to their electronic devices. Have you ever sat in a restaurant and looked around? Everyone awaiting their table is on their cell phone texting away, etc. There is no interaction with each other or communication. It's very sad. My kids act like they don't know how to live without their phones.

I agree with other posters....if you have to have it that bad then just pay for it....I don't want to pay for everyone else's "free wifi"....I just want my vacation! ;)

I prefer the "unplugged" feel of NOT having internet to completely disconnect. If it was available, I would likely just throw a "picture of the day" once a day on Facebook for family to see or something like that. Certainly won't be carrying the Galaxy all over the ship!

JM

Hi all,

I think we should start a campaign for RCCL to set a cruise industry first by offering free wifi on all RCCL ships.

Wifi is quickly becoming apart of everyday life for so many people, for so many different reasons that it seems old fashioned to charge for wifi. It really would be WOW if RCCL offered free wifi.

It's just an idea.... :confused:

completely impossible to implement from a purely logistical point of view. the technology does not yet exist that can support thousands of people surfing the web at once while underway.

it's too slow as it is now with just those people who feel the money is well spent( and those with the high enough status to get some free minutes).

last cruise( over christmas) it was down for a good 2/3 of the cruise .. and this was EN, a relatively small ship of the Fleet.

maybe we need to quit being so cheap as to demand every thing free after getting our cabin for a song and free drink package and OBC and free Grats.

completely impossible to implement from a purely logistical point of view. the technology does not yet exist that can support thousands of people surfing the web at once while underway.

it's too slow as it is now with just those people who feel the money is well spent( and those with the high enough status to get some free minutes).

last cruise( over christmas) it was down for a good 2/3 of the cruise .. and this was EN, a relatively small ship of the Fleet.

maybe we need to quit being so cheap as to demand every thing free after getting our cabin for a song and free drink package and OBC and free Grats.

Wish I got my cabins for a song with free drinks and OBC !!!!!!!!!!!

Is it really free?

We all get it. "Free" just means that it is included in the price you've paid - no extra charge. That doesn't change the fact that many hotels do, indeed, offer Wifi at no extra charge. Why? Because it is quite inexpensive to provide this service at a land-based hotel.

Hi all,

I think we should start a campaign for RCCL to set a cruise industry first by offering free wifi on all RCCL ships.

Wifi is quickly becoming apart of everyday life for so many people, for so many different reasons that it seems old fashioned to charge for wifi. It really would be WOW if RCCL offered free wifi.

Kinda like asking for free specialty restaurants. Not likely to see that either. What I would like to see is them reduce the price of making a call home. We were on the Carnival Destiny a few years ago and they ran a special for like a buck a minute or something. We made a quick call home a couple times. That would be something they could do and probably make money on it. I would bet hardly anyone would call home on a ship now.

Sorry - I can't, and don't want - to support this campaign.

My husband is a computer nerd and college professor and is PLUGGED IN way too much as it is. I think the fact we have to pay for internet on board, is the only reason he actually shuts down the computer!

I'm fine with paying for limited use pkgs or whatever. Then I know for sure he will enjoy some of his vacation off-line!

Ann

I am with Texas ann, I am normally an Internet junkie with a laptop or iPad, I found myself going to ship events and reading books and switching off from the net and email. What you will get is people in the restaurants and in the music venues staring at their iPhones. There is also a bandwidth cost to the cruise line which would make the cruise more expensive for everyone.

My vote is no to included wi fi on the ships.

LOL. Voting makes no difference. As stated previously, the technology is not available to make it work for that many people. Everyone can "vote" as much as they want, but it won't change the facts. And, I'm referring to everyone who votes "yes".

Edited by BND

LOL. Voting makes no difference. As stated previously, the technology is not available to make it work for that many people. Everyone can "vote" as much as they want, but it won't change the facts. And, I'm referring to everyone who votes "yes".

Can dead people vote like they do in Chicago? :confused:

You are thinking of Florida and since RCI is located here...maybe so. :rolleyes:

Gina

About 1.8 million dead people listed as active voters.

By Dennis Byrne, February 14, 2012 at 12:49 pm

But hey, not to worry, it's "not evidence of fraud."

The Pew Report doesn't say how many dead people are voting in Chicago, although that's a legendary activity here.

http://www.chicagonow.com/dennis-byrnes-barbershop/2012/02/about-1-8-million-dead-people-listed-as-active-voters/

Edited by Cuizer2

Hi all,

Comparing ship based wifi to land based is comparing apples and corn. The ship gets it's internet service through a satellite system, not from your usual providers on land - That's why it's more expensive. So, until the satellite providers reduce their fees, free isn't going to happen.

Lydia

• 5 months later...
As I am a Grad school student I would love free wi fi

Our last family vacacy my oldest was a grad student & she wouldn't have been able to come along if it wasn't for interent on the ship. She used mine & her dads diamond mins, hers, plus a free hour gift win, Plus an additional hour we paid each day! (it was a 12 night cruise) It was an awful expense, but I wanted that one more trip all together with my girls. That was one of my favorite trips of my life. I wish RCCL would at least offer a bit more free min like celebrity or azamara.