Campaign for free wifi on all RCCL ships?

Just out of personal curiosity, this message string is titled "Campaign for free wifi on all RCCL ships?". You state you cruise to get away from electronics. Why in the world would you even bother to open this message string let alone provide a response that as no value to the topic (of course I am doing the same with this response :p).

Just curious.

Its just as valid to open it because you're AGAINST a campaign for free WiFi than because you're FOR one, isn't it?

Just out of personal curiosity, this message string is titled "Campaign for free wifi on all RCCL ships?". You state you cruise to get away from electronics. Why in the world would you even bother to open this message string let alone provide a response that as no value to the topic (of course I am doing the same with this response :p).

Just curious.

Stating one's reasons for not wanting to pay for someone else's "free" service seems like a pretty valid point to make on this thread.

My point was, and is, that if you're paying anywhere near the $1500 quoted by the other poster for a 100 Mbps line, you're more than likely overpaying significantly! I think that pricing estimate is way out of date.

I'd be willing to wager that the large strip hotels in Vegas have significantly faster internet service than a single 100 Mbps feed. But yes, they would fit into the extremely small percentage of businesses with the potential for 1000 simultaneous users. ;)

100 Mb/s could easily feed 1000 people, or a whole ship. Especially if they employed a caching server. Not if everyone wants to stream movies at the same time, but for casual use... email, checking a couple of sites, upload a few pics, etc... it would work.

But you have two problems. The first is, a ship cannot get metro Ethernet installed :-) It costs a lot more to provide bandwidth to a mobile platform than a hotel. The second is, where does that bandwidth actually go? What good would a 100 Mb circuit do for you if it went to a provider who only had 10 Mb/s to one other place? All bandwidth is not created equal, and there's a reason why premium providers can charge more for what looks like exactly the same product.

Let me first correct my own spelling error. To each THEIR own.

Now as far as it being 'free' think again. I don't want to pay for something I will not use. But sure as sh-t, you will be paying the freight for 'free'. Technology comes with a stiff price. I don't want to pay for it.

100 Mb/s could easily feed 1000 people, or a whole ship. Especially if they employed a caching server. Not if everyone wants to stream movies at the same time, but for casual use... email, checking a couple of sites, upload a few pics, etc... it would work.

But you have two problems. The first is, a ship cannot get metro Ethernet installed :-) It costs a lot more to provide bandwidth to a mobile platform than a hotel. The second is, where does that bandwidth actually go? What good would a 100 Mb circuit do for you if it went to a provider who only had 10 Mb/s to one other place? All bandwidth is not created equal, and there's a reason why premium providers can charge more for what looks like exactly the same product.

Duh, yes I know it costs a lot more to provide mobile (satellite) bandwidth. Second, I'm not aware of anyone selling 100 Mb service with a 10 Mb backbone connection, are you? Third, 5 years ago maybe $1,500/mo for a quality 100 Mb feed was reasonable, but today you'd be wildly overpaying.

(40 years in computer & network engineering and technical sales here.)

We don't want to subsidize this

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I don't use the kids club. I don't want to subsidise it. I didn't use the FlowRider. I don't want to subsidise it. I never had pizza at Sorrentos. I don't want to subsidise it.

We all subsidise things we don't use. You'd probably find you already subsidise a few things onboard that you don't even know about.

I don't use the kids club. I don't want to subsidise it. I didn't use the FlowRider. I don't want to subsidise it. I never had pizza at Sorrentos. I don't want to subsidise it.

We all subsidise things we don't use. You'd probably find you already subsidise a few things onboard that you don't even know about.

True, but free Wi-Fi isn't one of them, and won't be any time soon... :)

True, but free Wi-Fi isn't one of them, and won't be any time soon... :)

You probably find it is, the Internet service still has a cost if nobody uses it. The bridge team have access to it (through a seperate system, but the same connection) and as such the wifi fee is probably near 100% profit

We don't use the kids club either but it keeps the little rascals on the ship occupied and out of our hair. It is well worth the cost we all contribute to its operation.;):D

Hi all,

I think we should start a campaign for RCCL to set a cruise industry first by offering free wifi on all RCCL ships.

Wifi is quickly becoming apart of everyday life for so many people, for so many different reasons that it seems old fashioned to charge for wifi. It really would be WOW if RCCL offered free wifi.

It's just an idea.... :confused:

ALL cruise ships offer free WIFI.

But if you want to use that free WIFI to connect to the ship's internet server (which has a narrow bandwidth in most cases), you will have to pay.

While I don't think free internet is the way to go. Too many people, it would not be feasible. But lowering the cost of the internet would make sense.

I know many of you don't want or need the internet while on a cruise ship and I get that. I too will be using my upcoming cruise as an opportunity to disconnect, but there would be great peace of mind in the ability to use the wifi, when so inclined, to check in to see how things are going at home for the kids.

We don't use the kids club either but it keeps the little rascals on the ship occupied and out of our hair. It is well worth the cost we all contribute to its operation.;):D

Amen

Many people think that the limited bandwidth on a cruise ship is just for the pasenger WIFI internet connection.

But consider:

All incoming and outgoing corporate, passenger, and crew satellite calls use the same bandwidth.(Crew get substantial discounts and make plenty calls)

Those cell phone towers that let you make calls and text from your mobile telephone use the same bandwidth.

All corporate email traffic uses the same bandwidth. (As Hotel Manager I receive and reply to over 700 emails every day. 20 other officers have the same volume)

All crew internet traffic uses the same bandwidth (they receive a substantial discount and use it plenty).

Very frequent ships computer systems downloads use the same bandwidth.

On some lines, BGM and movies for the ship are downloaded on the same bandwidth.

Many thousands of daily Credit card transaction requests and clearances go over the same bandwidth.

Automated messaging systems from equipment on the bridge and in the engine room send and receive thousands of messages every hour over the same bandwidth.

Edited by BruceMuzz

Long ago most people thought it was impossible for heavier-than-air machines to fly.

Not so long ago most people said you couldn't land a human on the moon and return him safely to earth.

More recently people thought it was impossible to land a probe on a comet after a ten year, 6.5 billion km trip.

And who would ever have believed minuscule IQ'd Reality TV personalities would become rich and famous.:eek:

The one thing I've learned over the past few decades on this planet, NEVER SAY NEVER!

This logic is highly flawed. No one is saying that inventing WiFi is impossible. This poster said it will never be free.

The only way your logic fits with this comment is if "heavier-than-air machines" were free to fly on, taking a ride to the moon or a comet was free, or everyone could become a rich & famous TV personality just by asking.

Everyone believes (or should, because factually, it does exist) in WiFi. Everyone doesn't believe it should or will be free on cruise ships.

This logic is highly flawed. No one is saying that inventing WiFi is impossible. This poster said it will never be free.

The only way your logic fits with this comment is if "heavier-than-air machines" were free to fly on, taking a ride to the moon or a comet was free, or everyone could become a rich & famous TV personality just by asking.

Everyone believes (or should, because factually, it does exist) in WiFi. Everyone doesn't believe it should or will be free on cruise ships.

Sorry you missed the point of my post. The poster emphatically pronounced that WiFi will NEVER be free on cruise ships. NEVER is a very, very long time. :D

People who predict that something - anything will NEVER happen just guarantees that they will be wrong - eventually.;)

Free WiFi on ships is highly improbable in our lifetimes - but NEVER?

Edited by DirtyDawg

Sorry you missed the point of my post. The poster emphatically pronounced that WiFi will NEVER be free on cruise ships. NEVER is a very, very long time. :D

People who predict that something - anything will NEVER happen just guarantees that they will be wrong - eventually.;)

Free WiFi on ships is highly improbable in our lifetimes - but NEVER?

Just because you use the same word doesn't make your point more valid. I didn't miss it, it wasn't there.

You were talking about things that people never thought would be accomplished and connecting that to something that has already been accomplished, but isn't free. If you'd have made a connection to a list of things that are now free, but people never thought would be... gotcha.

e.g.

Remember when we all thought that text messaging was the most expensive thing ever, most people probably didn't think that would ever been unlimited and included in your cell bill... BOOM!

Remember when we all worried about calling friends in the next state over because of long distance, most people probably didn't think you could just call them and it would be as free as calling your next door neighbor... BOOM!

Remember when if you even knew someone who lived in another part of the world, you'd pay a fortune to call them, so you mailed them a letter (and pay and wait) instead, most people probably didn't think you could email them or Skype them for free, almost instant communication... BOOM!

Edited by poncho1973

I could not care less about wifi or the use of any device while on vacation.

If RCI does eventually provide free wifi, which I doubt they will, it might end up like Panera and other places that provide free wifi. People all but move in with their devices, books, etc. and buy a small drink and sit all day while those of us who come to eat have to wander around trying to find an available seat. Sort of like the all-day coffee drinkers situation in the Windjammer.

If it ever comes, it should be limited to people's cabins.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I could not care less about wifi or the use of any device while on vacation.

If RCI does eventually provide free wifi, which I doubt they will, it might end up like Panera and other places that provide free wifi. People all but move in with their devices, books, etc. and buy a small drink and sit all day while those of us who come to eat have to wander around trying to find an available seat. Sort of like the all-day coffee drinkers situation in the Windjammer.

If it ever comes, it should be limited to people's cabins.

Big like on the Panera comment. No idea how that can be good for business

• 7 months later...

I don't know if this will really be the start of a trend for Royal. In my mind they are doing this more because they re-deployed her after announcing her retirement from the fleet are giving her some new features including a waterslide, and giving cruisers this 'benefit'.

Time will tell if this shows up on other ships. Let's be honest, the fee they charge for internet is high, in my estimation. From our POV, being on vacation also means being LESS connected via WIFI, not the same as we are at home.

I would like a small number of minutes to be included as part of the cruise fare (or as a C&A benefit), just to simply download email and make sure all is well back at home....but that would only take 60 -90 minutes to be used throughout a weeklong cruise -- for us.

Edited by Paulette3028

Nice spot. It is the future of the world and free wifi worldwide will come it's only a matter of time.

I don't know if this will really be the start of a trend for Royal. In my mind they are doing this more because they re-deployed her after announcing her retirement from the fleet are giving her some new features including a waterslide, and giving cruisers this 'benefit'.

Time will tell if this shows up on other ships. Let's be honest, the fee they charge for internet is high, in my estimation. From our POV, being on vacation also means being LESS connected via WIFI, not the same as we are at home.

I would like a small number of minutes to be included as part of the cruise fare (or as a C&A benefit), just to simply download email and make sure all is well back at home....but that would only take 60 -90 minutes to be used throughout a weeklong cruise -- for us.

At a recent trade event M. Bayley did mention that free internet was being considered for ships other than the Majesty.