Campaign for free wifi on all RCCL ships?

At a recent trade event M. Bayley did mention that free internet was being considered for ships other than the Majesty.

Since Mr. Bayley took over, the new benefit for PC Members is free internet for the duration of the cruise which went into effect the beginning of April 2015. Don't know if he's responsible for this new benefit, but it sure is appreciated.:p

I don't want to use it and I don't want to pay for it in my cruise fare either. i think it would be a shame if everyone walked around the ship with their face in their phone like so many do on land.

I think that starting with Emerald+ Crown & Anchor members should be given 30 minutes of complimentary wifi on board any ship. Then the option to purchase it at a lower cost could be a good idea maybe?

There was a time when the benefit that NickTechTalk was common for C&A members as they reached certain levels. With Diamond status you got a few more minutes. For US, that was perfect....some internet connectivity time, to download email and make sure all was well at home.

Then these internet packages became available and CRUISERS showed how interested they were and willing to pay for it, and pay big bucks for it. So you can't blame Royal for seeing a cash pond that cruisers were willing to dip into.

It probably has become a very nice financial stream, because as JulieRose points out people on land can't get their face out of their phones on land and want to be that way on a cruise, which should be a vacation from you land pressures and stress. But that is a personal issue of mine.

I don't want the cost of internet services that will be given as free, however to be passed along in higher cruise prices to everyone. My DH and I only need 30-60 minutes for an entire week....being unconnected to the world is a great thing when we are on our cruise.

Let's put it this way, if the internet was "free" then many more would be forced to stay connected by their companies much like cell phones have interrupted prevously loved down time from the boss. With it costing money, companies have to decide whether it really is important to contact you during that week because if you are smart you make them pay. If it is your own company it is just the cost of doing business and written off. As others mentioned, the internet would slow considerably the more you use it. Yes, hotels have free wifi but they have far fewer people using it simultaneously so those of you "having" to use it should want it to cost a lot to discourage casual users who are bored.

IMO Free Wifi for all passengers just invites someone-- or probably many someones-- to clog up bandwidth taking a selfie every 30 seconds at the pool, bar, spa, flow rider, rock wall, Windjammer, Promenade, etc., etc., etc. Some folks I know do this on Facebook and it's "holy carp, when are you NOT eating??"

Unless there's enough of an upgrade where the amount of traffic won't appreciably slow down the connection, I actually like the current system. It's not the fastest, it's not the cheapest, but it HAS been worse. I use whatever C&A Discount I get to take the edge off the price.

The argument has been noted that "I go on a Cruise to get away from work." I get it On the other extreme: if you absolutely need to be connected 24/7, maybe you don't need to go on a cruise bad as you thought? There are a couple little functions I have to admit are beyond the capabilities of any co-workers, I could try to train someone and sweat whether they got it right, or just log in remotely, do them and enjoy the other 23 ½ hours of the day knowing they're sorted. It dramatically cuts down the level of bargaining and politics needed to get my week off... though after the 11 day on Radiance I was told "We managed, but it'll be a LONG time before you get more than a week off." Hopefully by Feb 2017.

Now here's one that'll bring out the pitchforks and torches: Free Internet... as a Suite Perk.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

Actually now that I think about it when I was on Independence of the Seas last week they had free wifi in almost every port, so unless you are at sea for days you would still be able to keep in touch at port. I even got back on the ship and had wifi from the nearest shop that had it.

IMO Free Wifi for all passengers just invites someone-- or probably many someones-- to clog up bandwidth taking a selfie every 30 seconds at the pool, bar, spa, flow rider, rock wall, Windjammer, Promenade, etc., etc., etc. Some folks I know do this on Facebook and it's "holy crap, when are you NOT eating??"

Good point ... probably the most relevant on the thread. We have neither the hardware nor the bandwidth to even come close. Perhaps in the future, but not now. Based on what I've seen, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'd rather no Wifi on a ship.

I was delighted being away for 10 days in May. Stayed totally away from the Internet, Facebook, and going's on in the world.

I go on Holiday to escape, not to sit on the Wifi

Right very true however some people want to get away from work/school, but still need to be able to keep in touch with important things (for example some people like to make sure everything is ok like banking info, sometimes home security and even some professional YouTubers who want to check on things here and there) I hardly doubt that they would ever just do away with it, because there are people who do buy the internet packages

I have done 14 NT cruises and made do with better wifi in ports. Tmobile offers free data and texting in over 120 countries and free wifi calling. On my next cruise there will be consecutive sea days so I can take a break from the internet and Facebook. Let those who want to pay the price for slow dialup speeds as long as it keeps my cruise fair down. I'll spend my OBC at Chops and wait to go online.

If a hotel charges for internet I wont pay as it forces me to explore the town and find a local cafe and meet locals.

Just my 2 cents

Right very true however some people want to get away from work/school, but still need to be able to keep in touch with important things (for example some people like to make sure everything is ok like banking info, sometimes home security and even some professional YouTubers who want to check on things here and there) I hardly doubt that they would ever just do away with it, because there are people who do buy the internet packages

Oh no no I'm not saying get rid of it at all :) I know some people use it for work etc.

Me personally though wouldn't be happy if the price of an RCI Cruise went up because they were giving me free internet, which I'd never use

We were on a RCI cruise a while back where there was a medical emergency and the ship had to turnaround and go back to Nassau to evacuate someone from the ship. We were told that we would arrive 3 hours late in Miami, so many people would miss their flights. They opened up the wifi for free so people could re-book flights, and the bandwidth stopped working because there were people using the free internet for facebook and email. I was trying to rebook my flight and it took me 3 hours because the bandwidth came to a screeching halt.

Free wifi is not a good idea unless they have the bandwidth to support the traffic (which most ships don't have, especially when at sea).

Oh no no I'm not saying get rid of it at all :) I know some people use it for work etc.

Me personally though wouldn't be happy if the price of an RCI Cruise went up because they were giving me free internet, which I'd never use

Yes I totally agree with you, but then it wouldn't be so free would it haha [emoji4]

Hi all,

I think we should start a campaign for RCCL to set a cruise industry first by offering free wifi on all RCCL ships.

Wifi is quickly becoming apart of everyday life for so many people, for so many different reasons that it seems old fashioned to charge for wifi. It really would be WOW if RCCL offered free wifi.

It's just an idea.... :confused:

Why??? I would much prefer they follow Celebrity, Princess and NCL and include the beverage package. Way more value for the $$$ for anyone that wants even a few drinks on the ship plus water and soda

To download new books some need wifi. I have a 3G kindle that works in other countries - And even on board when the cellular signal is good enough.

I make sure to stock up my nook with books BEFORE I leave for a trip. The last thing I want to do is spend time shopping for new books while on vacation.

Majesty will get an upgrade to free high speed internet capable of downstreaming video. It would be good to keep in touch with our cat sitter and do FaceTime with friends not on the cruise. Of course it will be included in the price, but so is "free food" and "free entertainment".

To be honest I don't think free wi-fi is needed if at all aboard, I get on,put my passport,money,other valuable items and my mobile in the safe and don't see then again until I disembark..

I have no idea what's going on back home and that's how I like it.

Makes my cruise last longer and I like to see what's happened when I come back..it's like I've been to another planet lol..

To be honest I don't think free wi-fi is needed if at all aboard' date=' I get on,put my passport,money,other valuable items and my mobile in the safe and don't see then again until I disembark..

I have no idea what's going on back home and that's how I like it.

Makes my cruise last longer and I like to see what's happened when I come back..it's like I've been to another planet lol..[/quote']

Agree 100%. I wouldn't use free WiFi.

Nor do I want to be on a ship where everyone else is walking around totally engrossed in their smartphones, oblivious to their surroundings because they're too busy "conversing" with people who aren't there. I see enough of that sort of disrespectful behavior on land, thank you. :(

Hi all,

I think we should start a campaign for RCCL to set a cruise industry first by offering free wifi on all RCCL ships.

Wifi is quickly becoming apart of everyday life for so many people, for so many different reasons that it seems old fashioned to charge for wifi. It really would be WOW if RCCL offered free wifi.

It's just an idea.... :confused:

taking the loss of revenue out of the equation. Not that I dont like the idea in and of itself, but with the current state of technology, it would still be a mess. They simply would not have the bandwidth to deal with that many users. ( especially if they were streaming movies. In fact. in the post about the freedom fire, they talk specifically about this. They said they gave them free internet after the fire, but that it was almost unusable because so many people were on it.

Every hotel I stay in offers free wifi. This is both in Canada and the US.

I don't know about Europe as it has been a couple of years since I was there 1980-1990. Wifi was new and everybody charged. Most places it did not work overseas so did not use it.

Edited by CaptData