Revamped Carnival Sunshine facing problems in maiden voyage

I'm usually on the cruiseline's side for the minor stuff..

But I just can't undertsand the mentality, that people should "know" that some work will need to be finished after a drydock and it is their fault for booking that cruise. (even though this was supposed to be the 3rd cruise after drydock)

I only "know" about how still tore up a ship can be after drydock, from watching that 5 part series about a RCCL total makeover (equivalent to this one) and from reading reviews in here from previous cruisers on other ships.

Unfortunately, out of the thousands of people who booked this cruise, maybe 10% saw that show, or spend any time on this site or any of the similar ones.

Now is it fair for any cruiseline, to charge the same price for a cruise after drydock, with multiple things to be finished, as the same cruise on another ship that is fully functional? (the cruiselines, aren't surprised by contractors running late, they know when they schedule the entireity of the things to be refurbished, that they won't finish on time. This time, they had two extra weeks, so it is even more inexcuseable. I'd hate to see what things looked like, if they had sailed two weeks ago.)

It is one thing for one of the kids club's to be down for finishing or one club (say piano bar) as that only impacts that select group on that cruise.

But for the water park to be closed the entire cruise, or the main pool to be closed, that is just unacceptable. (and what the hell does they are sailing in europe or the weather make it any better? May in europe is warm enough to swim.)

Or say a main dining room, or the lido buffett.

These things impact too much of the passengers, to require the passengers to pay a full fare and not at least give them some OBC for their troubles.

And to those stating that no hot water for a cruise is not an inconvience, you are out of your freaking mind.

Being forced from a main deck cabin, to the spa, for a shower everyday, or taking a cold shower, are both just ridiculous on your vacation.

I usually side with the cheerleaders, but on this topic, you guys are just completely out of touch with what is right.

Basically, some of you would invite Carnival to crap all over every vacation you paid for, and you would say it was perfectly fine.

Bill

While many feel there may or will be glitches on those first few cruises, they should work them out before that first sailing. Don't they do trial runs? Isn't that what a trial run is... to make sure everything is working? Oh well, don't really matter to me, this is one ship I won't be on... but it does matter to those who have booked and are looking forward to things such as waterworks, and hot water in the cabin.

Hopefully it is being over exaggerated.

John Heald did have a guest on the Sunshine write him because she didn't have functioning toilets or hot water in her spa stateroom. He did acknowledge, that to be a fact, so that doesn't sound like a good way for that guest to be starting her voyage.

And ?????? I believe all entities that deal with the public take on that responsibility. How many of them get lambasted by the media for minor problems ???

I am not sure what you mean by the "no matter what" comment. In an ideal world, nothing ever goes wrong, but we don't live in that type of environment.

I believe you are being very argumentative with your comments and they don't deserve further response.

Maybe CCL should have directed the shipyard to concentrate on staterooms and areas that are free for use by all guests. And worked on the bars and other areas that you must pay more for after they were complete.

I'm usually on the cruiseline's side for the minor stuff..

But I just can't undertsand the mentality, that people should "know" that some work will need to be finished after a drydock and it is their fault for booking that cruise. (even though this was supposed to be the 3rd cruise after drydock)

I only "know" about how still tore up a ship can be after drydock, from watching that 5 part series about a RCCL total makeover (equivalent to this one) and from reading reviews in here from previous cruisers on other ships.

Unfortunately, out of the thousands of people who booked this cruise, maybe 10% saw that show, or spend any time on this site or any of the similar ones.

Now is it fair for any cruiseline, to charge the same price for a cruise after drydock, with multiple things to be finished, as the same cruise on another ship that is fully functional? (the cruiselines, aren't surprised by contractors running late, they know when they schedule the entireity of the things to be refurbished, that they won't finish on time. This time, they had two extra weeks, so it is even more inexcuseable. I'd hate to see what things looked like, if they had sailed two weeks ago.)

It is one thing for one of the kids club's to be down for finishing or one club (say piano bar) as that only impacts that select group on that cruise.

But for the water park to be closed the entire cruise, or the main pool to be closed, that is just unacceptable. (and what the hell does they are sailing in europe or the weather make it any better? May in europe is warm enough to swim.)

Or say a main dining room, or the lido buffett.

These things impact too much of the passengers, to require the passengers to pay a full fare and not at least give them some OBC for their troubles.

And to those stating that no hot water for a cruise is not an inconvience, you are out of your freaking mind.

Being forced from a main deck cabin, to the spa, for a shower everyday, or taking a cold shower, are both just ridiculous on your vacation.

I usually side with the cheerleaders, but on this topic, you guys are just completely out of touch with what is right.

Basically, some of you would invite Carnival to crap all over every vacation you paid for, and you would say it was perfectly fine.

Bill

Could not have said it better, except I would be very upset if the piano bar was not open. I know that if I was told that my cabin was not ready and they were still remodeling it I would nor be a happy camper at all. I will bet also most of the people saying that it s not a big deal would also be upset. The people on this ship paid top dollar to go on this trip they deserve something. I for one would most likely exercised my vacation guarantee and just got off the ship.

Who the hell said the the water park would be closed for the whole cruise? The cruise just started.

It sounded to me like a water pipe burst which would require water in the area to be turned off while it was repaired. Who says it is not functioning now?

So much speculation and always to the negative side.

I can't wait to board in 11 days! :)

Who the hell said the the water park would be closed for the whole cruise? The cruise just started.

It sounded to me like a water pipe burst which would require water in the area to be turned off while it was repaired. Who says it is not functioning now?

So much speculation and always to the negative side.

I can't wait to board in 11 days! :)

It does state the the floors are not completed in waterworks and sports square in the pinned post at the top of the message board. It does not state how long it will take to finish the area just that it did not get done and is not open.

i am very disappointed to hear there are problems already.!! i know small problems are to be expected but these are not small problems.. with all the money we are spending i expect hot water and the water slides to work.. my children are looking forward to the new slides and its a big part of their vacation.. im at the point now that i dont care if we go or not.. they have messed up my precruise hotel, and transfers among other mess ups since the beggining.. thats small stuff but this is suppose to be a vacation...

Yeah Sargent Schultz

I have gotten on many ships that something was closed when we got aboard. Fixed next day. I wonder how many people wanted to ued the sports area and water park anyhow on the FIRST day.

I was booked on a cruise a number of years back that had just been completely refurbished and they told us before we ever boarded that they didn't expect everything to be right on maybe the first 5 cruises. They were right they ended up canceling the first 4.

I have never been on a ship that something didn't go wrong. And yes they do have people aboard to help fix the things that may go wrong.

IF EVERYONE IS SO UNHAPPY WITH CARNIVAL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, THEY HAVE PROBLEM TOO.

The thing is a refurbishment this size had NEVER been done before in the history of cruise ships. This was a big risk to take and although there's been a few issues, I can imagine alot worse scenarios.

I'm booked to go in the fall on the Sunshine and I'm sure everything will be running just perfectly and all of the staff doing an excellent job as I'm used to on Carnival ships.

I'm not too sure I would go on an inaugural cruise though no matter what cruise line it is. I just don't want to risk my one or two weeks a year on a less than fantastic experience.

I've always read not to book the first cruise after dry dock also. I would assume remodeling a ship is similar to remodeling a house, everything takes longer and cost more than you expected.

Hi Poptart, technically this was the 3rd scheduled sailing. They cancelled the first two. Not sure if there was time for people to cancel this one and still get money back, etc when word of the first two sailings were cancelled. I wouldnt purposely book the first sailing from DD either.

It seems like a better option to Carnival from sailing a not yet ready ship or canceling, would be to alert passengers to the issue and then give them the option!

You can't complain about a cruise without waterworks and an elevator down if you were given the choice to sail.

I agree with this statement. We are easy going people but I would not be happy if I was in a cabin with no hot water or unreliable air conditioning. My DH hates camping and I do not like paying big bucks for an experience I can get at my local state park a whole lot cheaper.

I would like to cruise with my grandchildren in the future and I would look for a ship with kid friendly features like the waterworks.

I don't expect life to be perfect.. believe me I know all about true problems.. but I do expect to receive value for my dollar. It always amazes me that people are willing to accept so much less from a cruise line than they do from a land based vacation.

I have a special needs daughter. She loves the waterworks. (used them on Dream and Breeze x 2) While I cruise for itinerary - and especially would be doing so on a Med (bucket-list) cruise - I would still be very disappointed if the Waterworks was not up and running- even on day one, which would be one of the definite days we would use it. That is salvation after a long day of running. While it is true most would not cruise the Med on a certain ship just for the waterpark, we might be one of the American exceptions!

I can't disagree with the people who are blaming Carnival because some of them are making good arguments--Carnival had an extra three weeks to get this ship done and the people who booked this cruise didn't book an inaugural cruise, and some of them may have purposely booked this cruise to give Carnival extra time to finish the work as inaugural cruises do seem to have a history of sailing before all the work is done.

But I also agree that it's also the shipyard's fault, not Carnival's. They had a deadline and then had an extension to get this done. And some problems won't be known until you actually use the product. When I bought our house, it was a new build, and we moved into it when it was done. Yes, there were problems that had to be ironed out once we moved in--no computer jack by the built in computer desk, wrong type of electrical outlet for the washer/dryer, but those problems were all relatively minor. And it sounds like the problems on Carnival are relatively minor as well.

Would I be annoyed if something on the ship wasn't perfect? Yes, probably. But then these types of problems could also happen on an older ship of any variety.

But of course, the media needs to blow it out of proportion because it's Carnival--meanwhile, the FBI says they have arrested someone in western Minnesota with pipe bombs that could have been used at any time in a terrorist attack, and I tried looking at CNN for more information on this thwarted terrorist attack and found nothing.

But I also agree that it's also the shipyard's fault, not Carnival's. They had a deadline and then had an extension to get this done. And some problems won't be known until you actually use the product. When I bought our house, it was a new build, and we moved into it when it was done. Yes, there were problems that had to be ironed out once we moved in--no computer jack by the built in computer desk, wrong type of electrical outlet for the washer/dryer, but those problems were all relatively minor. And it sounds like the problems on Carnival are relatively minor as well.

Would I be annoyed if something on the ship wasn't perfect? Yes, probably. But then these types of problems could also happen on an older ship of any variety.

But of course, the media needs to blow it out of proportion because it's Carnival--meanwhile, the FBI says they have arrested someone in western Minnesota with pipe bombs that could have been used at any time in a terrorist attack, and I tried looking at CNN for more information on this thwarted terrorist attack and found nothing.

that analogy only works if you plan on having paying guests with you, a la bed and breakfast or the like.

should their room not be ready, or no hot water or toilets working,, your advertised pool not working, do you remain silent till they show up?

and then blame your contractor?

How long before this ship sailed did they know it would not be ready, one week.. two weeks... I feel people should have been informed and given the choice to sail. With time to cancel or reschedule their cruise, hotels, airfare.

Also, they do trial runs. Do they check everything during trial runs, or is that just like major things such as engines, etc? Just don't really know this.

Personally, I feel the thing about there will be glitches, is not a good thing. Test the ship. Take it out for a few days, if things aren't working.. fix them. If they can't be fixed in time, let the people know at least a week ahead of time. No vacation provider, hotel, airline, or cruiseline, should invite people aboard without letting the know ahead of time, that there are or may be issues.

I love cruising with Carnival and will continue to do so. I do not call myself a carnival cheerleader because I think it is a childish stupid term made up from those who don't like to cruise with Carnival. Or perhaps made up by some that do, but get sick of the ones that never have anything negative to say, and always jump on anyone who posts a negative comment. This is CRUISE CRITIC people. Post your opinions no matter what they are, good or bad, and anyone else can post theirs ,... they just need lay off of each other and agree to disagree

Bon Jour!!!

I find this conversation pretty interesting, actually, and with many more fact-based posts than most CC threads, IMHO.

I think there are good points on both sides of the issue.

The fact that most folks who booked this cruise picked an EARLY but not MAIDEN voyage hints that many are seasoned cruises, and made the decision to avoid the maiden voyage to avoid the very types of normal and 'minor' issues with which they are now dealing probably makes them more sensitive to the problems that they would have been had they not planned to avoid them in the first place.

Based on MOST of what has been posted so far, it SOUNDS as though most of the issues in the passenger staterooms were 'minor', and that most of the staterooms were returned to full service fairly quickly (they fed those impacted lunch and wine)

I don't suppose we'll have a really clear 'vision' of what took place until post-cruise when we get a good cross-section of passenger reviews.

In any case, as a paying passenger, I expect every cruise to include a fully-functional ship. Water (hot and cold) in my stateroom....... and even public attractions such as the Waterworks should be 'up and running' for at least the majority of the sailing (which still may be the case before this trip is over)

I also do understand Carnivals focus on completing as many interior public areas as possible......since those are seen/used by all passengers........while having a 'block' of cabins a few hours late for 'check in' directly impacts "only" those passengers.

We don't sail Sunshine until March, 2014.......... so really looking forward to the review and pictures by SS after his voyage.......

While I do feel for the folks who are onboard now, I hope that by the time their cruise is over they can have days and days of positive, happy memories to 'over write' the bad first impressions Carnival has created for them.

Bon Voyage!:D

How long before this ship sailed did they know it would not be ready, one week.. two weeks... I feel people should have been informed and given the choice to sail. With time to cancel or reschedule their cruise, hotels, airfare.

Also, they do trial runs. Do they check everything during trial runs, or is that just like major things such as engines, etc? Just don't really know this.

Personally, I feel the thing about there will be glitches, is not a good thing. Test the ship. Take it out for a few days, if things aren't working.. fix them. If they can't be fixed in time, let the people know at least a week ahead of time. No vacation provider, hotel, airline, or cruiseline, should invite people aboard without letting the know ahead of time, that there are or may be issues.

I love cruising with Carnival and will continue to do so. I do not call myself a carnival cheerleader because I think it is a childish stupid term made up from those who don't like to cruise with Carnival. Or perhaps made up by some that do, but get sick of the ones that never have anything negative to say, and always jump on anyone who posts a negative comment. This is CRUISE CRITIC people. Post your opinions no matter what they are, good or bad, and anyone else can post theirs ,... they just need lay off of each other and agree to disagree

Agree to disagree....... here> ? On 'Critic' Critic?

Well, I agree with you 100% in that regard. Sharing of differing views and opinions can be fun, entertaining and even enlightening, but there does seem to be a pattern with some CC posters that they seem to feel a need to 'defend' their opinions................and 'disprove' another's opinion.

Everyone has an opinion, and the fact is that it is THEIR right to form their opinion........... no matter how many 'facts' you can throw at them to 'prove' them wrong.

This is America, still. Last time I checked we (Myself included) still have the RIGHT to be WRONG in our opinions.

:p

I have no knowledge of shipbuilding/renovating in general or what happened in this particular case; therefore, I won't try to allocate actual blame. But, in the end, Carnival is responsible for providing the product they advertised, with all the features they advertised. And they should have been moving mountains to make this the p.r. win that they really needed.

This IS a big deal to those who paid a lot of money to cruise and they have every right to be upset and disappointed. When I cruise without my children, I don't care much about the special amenities on board, but when I cruise with the kids, I choose the ship based on the activities on board, specifically the sports deck and waterworks. The first day of a cruise, especially a port intensive cruise, is the best time to take advantage. It is NO fun for parents to explain to their children, who are on their dream vacation too, that ALL the things they were most looking forward to on the first day are closed. And for all the people who say that ports can be missed so you should only book based on the ship experience, you can't now say that these cruisers should only care about the ports and not what's onboard the ship. Cruising is a balance of ports and ship, regardless the destination, especially for families.

I am hopeful that the closures were a one day thing and the hot water, toilet, and elevator issues are truly minor, quick-fix issues.

The vast majority of people on board did NOT book an "inaugural" cruise, and even if they did few would have the knowledge that there are often minor issues because that has never gotten much publicity before. Carnival must do what it can to show that it cares about making its guests happy, not merely getting them on board. I love Carnival cruises and their great value for the money. I have two future cruises in the early planning stages and dreams of several more. But I will lose my love for Carnival if I feel that they put customer service last, just as I refuse to fly Spirit regardless of their prices and refuse to shop at Walmart even if they're the only place that has what I want. If they continue to have problems, I will continue to make excuses for them because I love to cruise Carnival, but at some point ...

On a Caribbean cruise out of New Orleans, I'd agree with your argument. But on a European sailing in the Mediterranean??? I doubt there's a single person on that ship that said: "lets pay thousands of dollars to fly to Europe and take a Mefiterranean cruise so that we can experience the ship's water park!"

Not every passenger is American

true, but i'm sure not every on the ship flew from america

Exactly.

We booked the ship, not the ports. The draw for us, with two teenagers is the water park and the sports deck. I want activities on the ship, the ports don't really matter.

I am cruising with my partner and 2 girls aged 5 & 2 from the UK. The ships attraction to us is the waterpark. Every time I get my laptop out in the house, they want to watch the video of the virtual tour to watch the waterpark bit. This will be a huge factor if this is not sorted by our sailing (June 7th). I agree with minor things like unfinished painting, some fixtures not in place in public areas, etc. but if the water park is closed then we are going to have 2 very unhappy girls and the holiday will turn into a nightmare and I didn't pay the money I worked hard for, for this kind of service.

I really hope they can sort it for the passengers already on board and give a small gesture to the inconvenienced as courtesy considering $50 credit would not cost them that due to mark up on items they sell.

Sorry but the people on here who are saying that people will moan about anything are very selfish and wrong. Just because the waterpark or sport deck does not interest you, doesn't mean the people who are 'upset' about the closure are moaners! I wonder how these few people would react if their favourite part of the ship was closed, think they would have a different outlook then!

Sorry for the ramble, rant over!

I am cruising with my partner and 2 girls aged 5 & 2 from the UK. The ships attraction to us is the waterpark. Every time I get my laptop out in the house, they want to watch the video of the virtual tour to watch the waterpark bit. This will be a huge factor if this is not sorted by our sailing (June 7th). I agree with minor things like unfinished painting, some fixtures not in place in public areas, etc. but if the water park is closed then we are going to have 2 very unhappy girls and the holiday will turn into a nightmare and I didn't pay the money I worked hard for, for this kind of service.

I really hope they can sort it for the passengers already on board and give a small gesture to the inconvenienced as courtesy considering $50 credit would not cost them that due to mark up on items they sell.

Sorry but the people on here who are saying that people will moan about anything are very selfish and wrong. Just because the waterpark or sport deck does not interest you, doesn't mean the people who are 'upset' about the closure are moaners! I wonder how these few people would react if their favourite part of the ship was closed, think they would have a different outlook then!

Sorry for the ramble, rant over!

I agree, there seem to be far too many Carnival apologists on this board.

Archived