Upgrade AFTER final payment?

RickT

My wife and I are looking at an inside guarantee for $X. We'd be happy with the cruise but have often seen veranda cabins drop in price closer to the sailing date. While we'd be happy with the inside I'm wondering if we book the inside guarantee would we be able to upgrade to a veranda after final payment has been made.

In my mind I see two possible options, either of which would be fine if X would accommodate them.

1) Guarantee price stays the stay and a veranda offered for $Y. Upgrade should be OK if we pay difference between $X that we paid and $Y that the veranda is going for.

2) Guarantee price drops on inside. To upgrade to veranda we pay difference between lower price on our cabin and current price on veranda.

While both seem to make sense I'm not sure X would allow either.

Has anyone actually done this? I'll call X in the AM but I'm curious to see if anyone has done this. The reservation doesn't include any of X's offers since it's a guarantee cabin.

X will allow you to upgrade after final payment by paying the difference between what you paid and the price of the new, upgrade cabin. The new cabin must cost at least $1 more than what you paid. This applies to us passengers...not sure what other countries will allow you to do.

As far as I know, it doesn't matter if the price changes on the inside guarantee. You pay the difference between what you paid and the price of the balcony at the time of upgrade. My experience is as a U.S. customer.

On an upcoming cruise, we had a veranda guarantee. We had our choice of a C3 or Aquaclass guarantee when the prices on those dropped after final payment date to below the cost of our original stateroom.

Some friends who had an inside on the same cruise, upgraded to a veranda guarantee (got a 2 B) at no cost under similar circumstances.

Art

Thanks for the responses. I think I will be allowed to upgrade (and pay the difference) unless it's an Exciting Deals rate or any other rate that applies to new bookings only.

I'll have to decide if I take the chance. I'd rather be on the cruise then not on it... but would rather a veranda then an inside (and no, the oceanview cabins aren't worth the extra $ to upgrade to).

If I knew the possibility of a better fare on the veranda was slim I'd book the inside today but I reviewed the two cruises I took last year and confirmed I booked both after final payment when the prices dropped. I probably roll the dice and do the same thing this year and hope for the best.

Our last cruise we had booked OV. Price dropped on a balcony gty, assigned a low balcony. I had paid the difference. Later a high balcony dropped below what I paid. They let me upgrade to the higher balcony but I got no $$$ back. Loved the cabin. Well worth it.

Have a good cruise

When we booked our cruise we were given a guarantee room and I recently logged on and see we have been assigned a cabin. Does this mean that this cabin # is in stone or is there a possibility of an upgrade?

We tired to upgrade to a suite after final payment on our upcoming cruise when I saw that the price had dropped a lot, our travel agent called celebrity and was told no that's not allowed. So only US customers must be allowed to do this, that is very annoying :(

We tired to upgrade to a suite after final payment on our upcoming cruise when I saw that the price had dropped a lot, our travel agent called celebrity and was told no that's not allowed. So only US customers must be allowed to do this, that is very annoying :(

I am from the UK and have managed to upgrade to a suite from a balcony after final payment. Like you, I noticed the price had dropped dramatically so I called our TA straight away and managed to get a fantastic deal - much better than I thought it was going to be.

I do think some TA's are better than others, and even who you speak to at Celebrity can differ so if its something that you really want to do - persevere and keep trying.

We tried to upgrade months ago when the CC classes were low and were told we couldn't - so glad now......

• 2 years later...

:( I just tried this today and I am a US customer. My travel agent (first time using one) told me that they would not do the upgrade and that she called her rep to double check. :rolleyes: I think this is the last time I use a travel agent unless I have strong recommendations.

:( I just tried this today and I am a US customer. My travel agent (first time using one) told me that they would not do the upgrade and that she called her rep to double check. :rolleyes: I think this is the last time I use a travel agent unless I have strong recommendations.

They (the cruise lines) are changing the rules a lot lately it seems, but also I would have strong fears that the TA is telling you what they want to do, rather then what they actually could do if they tried. I may be cynical, and there are probably TAs out there that would do extra work so that they end up with similar/less commission overall, but it would take a very good price/discount/obc for me to hand over the management of my booking.

Edited by goodycruising

I have upgraded many times after final payment by paying the difference. I have upgraded as a single on exciting deals even though it says double occupancy and new bookings only. You have to be persistent and talk to captains club not the regular reps. My TA has also gotten similar upgrades for me when I have booked through her. A good agent can always get you an upgrade at least in my experience. If not get another agent. Also insist that they speak to the resolution desk if there is any problem.

We are sailing to Scandinavia and Russia this summer in assigned inside rooms. Last weekend I noticed a residency rate on balcony guarantees that was the same price we paid for our inside rooms and had my agent call in on Tuesday morning (holding my breath all weekend- a long one at that- was terrible!). It took all day, but both of our rooms (including a single occupancy) were upgraded and we now have our assignments- 2Bs! We were not charged anything to make the switch and Celebrity made a note of our connected reservations and gave us rooms that are directly across from one another, with a hallway in between. We are very happy with the outcome and would not hesitate to attempt an upgrade again in the future.

My advice- book a room at a location and price you're comfortable with and then watch the prices like a hawk. We've upgraded multiple times to "better" rooms but always approach our cruises with the attitude of, "An inside room is perfectly fine because we are on a cruise!" The balconies will be lovely, but we would have been just as happy sitting on a public deck watching the world go by.

Even in the US, it is like a lotto. After final payment, I kept checking the price. Whenever I see a big price drop, I would call in to my TA. One week I was told only an Aqua upgrade available with $xx, another week a suite upgrade available with $xxx, yet another week a veranda upgrade with $xx. And the price that you see on the internet (even X's own web site) is not the price point for existing booking to upgrade. Their upgrade offer is not transparent at all even if you want to pay the difference since their price point is not made public until you or your TA calls in to ask!!

We tried to upgrade several times on our current cruise and were unsuccessful. Many people in our roll call were able to do it, but we could not. It was very frustrating! I wish Celebrity would get their rules straight and treat everyone the same!

Tried to upgrade on my Century Cruise after final payment. Told categorically NO. Even pointed out to them I was willing to pay the difference, I wasn't after a free upgrade, and then they could sell off my verandah cabin at the current higher rate than I paid for it. It was a Win Win situation. But they still wouldn't do it. The only way was if they stripped me of all my perks and I paid literally the original Rack Rate.

So they lost out on me paying extra for a suite and then the extra they would have got for my well positioned verandah cabin. Instead they sold off the suites at a super discounted rate - weird.

Sometimes it is the rep that is the problem....if you get turned down...I would try call back and talk to someone else. Sometimes one will say no...and the other yes.

I am from the UK and have managed to upgrade to a suite from a balcony after final payment. Like you, I noticed the price had dropped dramatically so I called our TA straight away and managed to get a fantastic deal - much better than I thought it was going to be.

I do think some TA's are better than others, and even who you speak to at Celebrity can differ so if its something that you really want to do - persevere and keep trying.

We tried to upgrade months ago when the CC classes were low and were told we couldn't - so glad now......

Sometimes it is the rep that is the problem....if you get turned down...I would try call back and talk to someone else. Sometimes one will say no...and the other yes.

I believe I agree with this and had I not booked through a travel agent, I would have called back to ask again. Oh well, Lesson learned.