Road to Hana recommended stops

jeo_la

I know there are several areas we can stop on the road to Hana, I would like to hear where everyone stopped and what great places are not to be missed for our June trip

The pictures don't work anymore but this link lists all the highlights for you to choice from, even gives the mile markers if you are driving.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/maui/rthp1.htm

Bill

You also may want to head to your library and take out Fodor's Hawaii, they have a detailed Road to Hana write up, that may offer you points of interest you wish to stop at.

It took me two trips to get to Lindbergh's grave. As a hint, going past Hana, you have to look for the small, faded church sign on the left, then you've found it. :)

"Maui Revealed" guidebook provided me with the best info along the RTH & elsewhere in Maui.

We enjoyed all of the stops along the way including those slightly off the road such as Keane (including freshly baked banana stand), Wai'anapanapa (black sand & lava tubes), O'heo Gulch (AKA 7 Sacred Pools) & Lindbergh's grave in the small Palapala Ho’omau Church cemetery in Kipahulu which is as far as most go unless driving around the barren southern end of Maui to Upcountry.

Hope I'm not out of line here, but having spent a lot of time on Maui over the past 25 years, I can't imagine going to Hana when you have just one day in Maui. It takes all day. There are so many things to do. I'd rather spend the day visiting a few beaches, driving north, going to Iao Needle or the upcountry, shopping and eating in Lahaina.

Jim

• 3 months later...
I'm also questioning whether it is worth it to do the "road to Hana" since we only have one day. I also get car sick easily. Is this going to be a problem if we decide to do this trip?

My wife is very prone to any type of motion sickness & was okay on the RTH. She takes meclizine (much less expensive generic Bonine) when on the water or in the air...and even on a drive with many curves. ;)

While the suggestion to not do it in a day would be best it's still enjoyable to do in a day. Even with an overnight on a cruise many who don't get there often want to experience as much of the Valley Isle as possible. I've lived in Maui & have only done it in a day not wanting to pay for a Hana hotel. My longest trip to Hana began with a Haleakala sunrise then a drive along the barren southern end & less traffic driving from Hana back home.

Archived