Solstice from Sydney - French Polynesia - Hawaii pictures report (Apr 8-25, 2013)

thamanrp

Thank you everyone for your kind comments (it really helps!). I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the pics. Here are some of the answers to your questions...

I agree, your pictures are better than those on the Celebrity web site.

Can you describe your equipment and the settings, especially for the Sidney night ones? They are very impressive.

what camera are you using, I need to buy it lol
:DAwesome photo's thankyou for sharing, what camera have you got my hubby needs a new one before the next trip.

I have Nikon D600 and 14-24mm lens. But don't let this setup fool you. Most DSLR should be able to capture the same or similar results. It's just that they make it easier for me to get the result I want. As for the Sydney night shots, I shot most of them with a tripod between 1-3 seconds exposure. 5+ seconds for the silky water look/effect.

Wow!! Amazing photo! I especially love the night shot of Solstice and the Harbor Bridge.

Good eyes pdcat21! Celebrity actually contacted me and asked for permission to use that pic on their social media sites and possibly their brochure. So, if you see it on their site or brochure you know who took it :-)

I'm probably in the minority, but cutting down on the saturation/vibrancy in Lightroom/Photoshop of the pictures would make them more professional looking.

Aargau, I'm surprise to hear that you find them over saturated. Most shots were just RAWs and I only fixed shadows (+100), highlight (-100), black, and whites in Lightroom. That's it! I never touched the saturation or vibrance. I try to keep my shots as close to what I saw when I took the pics. I'm guessing you have Canon camera? Some people with Canon hates Nikon colors for some reason. I used to have Canon but switched to Nikon where there was a deal with this D600.

Where are all the passengers in these photos??

I took most shots around 4-5pm. People were either getting ready for dinner or at dinner.

Stunning photos, thank you for sharing. Looking forward to seeing your Hawaii shots.

I think I will disappoint you here. We have been to Hawaii a few times and I used to staion in Hawaii while I was in the military. So we took it easy in Hawaii but there are probably a few good shots.

really really good photos... I am amazed at interior shots, with all the highlight and shadow details, you sure you didn't bring in any strobes? lol. or was it HDR?

Make sure you don't give away your copyright to Celebrity when they use it for commercial usage. Ask for a free cruise or something lol.

Speak from someone just graduated from Art school major in commercial photography.

Thank you for all the comments. You all are way too kind. I wish I am a professional photographer. It's just a hobby for me. Most of the pics on the ship were handheld except the one by the pool where I used the rail to hold my camera, Nikon D600. The only HDR were probably the Solarium shots.

I didn't want to post too much of the Solstice shots but since you guys liked them...here are some more :-)

Cellar Master

600_2809.jpg

Oceanview Cafe - it's almost empty here during dinner

600_2840.jpg

Beverage Station

600_2833.jpg

Food are in stations so no long line

600_2738.jpg

600_2825.jpg

600_2826.jpg

Wonderful shots ... We did the back to back beginning on March 28 in Australia and ending in Honolulu on April 25th. I hope to also post a thorough review of all our days on Solstice including all the stops along the way but I am sure my shots will not match yours.... and I agree... I love Nikon! Thanks for taking the time.

After two sea days we arrived at Noumea. To be honest, we have never heard of Noumea before. After reading about it on Tripadvisor we thought about taking a ferry to Amedee Lighthouse. But we weren't too thrilled about seeing a bunch of snakes at the beach (plus it was $160+ pp). So, we took it easy at this port and took a hop on hop off bus to see the suggested beaches from Tripadvisor. The excursion from the ship would have cost like $40+ per person. The hop on hop off bus was only $5 per person. The buses run every 15 mins so it was very easy to get on and off. I'd suggest this choice for people who would like to save some money and still want to see a lot of Noumea. You can ask at the information center and they can point you where you need to go.

Here are some of the small collection of pics that we took:

Noumea Port

600_1287.jpg

Anse Vata Beach

600_1165.jpg

600_1178.jpg

You can take an excursion and go to this little island (motu). Some people on the ship we talked to said they had a great beach day there.

600_1179.jpg

600_1226.jpg

600_1234.jpg

Edited by thamanrp

Wow wonderful photos. We did B2B from Sydney to Mexico and are now in LAX waiting for our flight back to Sydney after spending some time in Las Vegas and San Francisco. The photos bought back lovely memories thank you so much.