Solstice from Sydney - French Polynesia - Hawaii pictures report (Apr 8-25, 2013)

thamanrp

Yes, even though the official language is french in Noumea, it is still very easy to get around, they do have someone who can speak english in the information centre. :D

New Caledonia is a french overseas territory for those that don't know..in the same way as Tahiti is with a big european (french) population (Noumea is the capital). About 3 hours from Australia and between Australia and Fiji.

Still have vivid memories of visiting several years ago and watching a squad of uber fit French Foreign legion (or their equivilant of marines) training along the beach carry heavy napsacks running through the sand. I'm sure some of the girls would have loved it...they were topless. :rolleyes::p

I didn't want to post too much of the Solstice shots but since you guys liked them...here are some more :-)

I think you can post as many more of the Solstice or the ports you stopped in and we will all gladly view them. :)

Stunning photos - I wish I had half as much skill.

After Noumea we had 5 sea days. With so many days between ports we were so ready to get off. Since we like to be on our own time and schedule, we opted for a rental car in Papeete. I hate to be on a tour specially when I like to take my time in each location for a photo op. We rented a car through Avis. They have a shuttle to take you to their downtown Papeete office. But since we were off the ship early we didn't see any shuttle. The office was only 5-10 mins walk from the ship so it's not too bad. The rate for a 24hrs rental was $120 for automatic Ford Fiesta (they only rented 24hrs minimum in Papeete). If you plan to rent a car please book and reserve in advance. They get completely booked and you won't be able to get anything once you are there.

We drove around the island and returned the car right before the Avis downtown Papeete office closed (6pm). The ship didn't leave until midnight so we could have returned the car later at the airport. But we would then have to pay for the airport drop off fee and a taxi ride back to the ship. I'd say the most beautiful part of the island was the south eastern part where the Vairao beach is. Don't miss that. Here are some of the pics from Papeete. Enjoy!

Arriving at Papeete - tug boat welcoming/leading with the water spray

600_1527.jpg

600_1528.jpg

Moorea, our next port, in the background not so far away

600_1530.jpg

Papeete port

600_1532.jpg

600_1534.jpg

600_1537.jpg

600_1660.jpg

The beach right by the blowhole (wife, in pink top, waiting patiently while I kept running off and taking picture)

600_1697.jpg

600_1712.jpg

Damaged road next to the Blowhole

600_1704.jpg

Blowhole - it's actually pretty loud here when the wave pushed out/up the trapped air inside the rock

600_1705.jpg

Drove up the hill for a good 30-40 mins in a rough road and rental car for this lookout view of Tahiti Island (suggested by tourist office). Not worth it actually. Probably look nicer in the morning with the sun in the back (instead of directly overhead).

600_1720.jpg

Vairao Beach area - I highly recommend to come to this part of the island

600_1727.jpg

Calm and clear water

600_1736.jpg

Scenic along the route

600_1744.jpg

600_1745.jpg

Again, thanks everyone for all the compliments. It's much easier to take nice picture when the places or scenery are already beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your pictures. Could you tell me the cabin category in your picture?

We stayed in the Aqua class room (thanks to the military discount) but I believe all the balcony rooms would look like that except for some the sofa might be by the balcony instead.

I think you can post as many more of the Solstice or the ports you stopped in and we will all gladly view them. :)

Thanks TobyKnits. I just didn't want to make you all tired of the pics of Solstice where you have been on or seen it already :-)

Great Photos. I loved my 2 Solstice cruises and going on Reflection in 12 days hope she is as good as the Solstice. I love all the Sydney Photos they remind me what a beautiful harbour we have. :D:D

It was because of thamanrp's pics, that made us book our cruise on the Solstice for next yrs transpacific..after we saw his pics we booked it an hr later..

Celebrity should have you as their PR..;)

Yes, just send the commission to .....:rolleyes:

Again, thanks everyone for all the compliments. It's much easier to take nice picture when the places or scenery are already beautiful.

We stayed in the Aqua class room (thanks to the military discount) but I believe all the balcony rooms would look like that except for some the sofa might be by the balcony instead.

Thanks TobyKnits. I just didn't want to make you all tired of the pics of Solstice where you have been on or seen it already :-)

Don't worry - I don't think any of us who have cruised on her ever tire of pictures of the beautiful Solstice.

Since you say you were in Aqua I have to ask if any of the fabulous staff we had in Blu in February were still there? Specifically, Marian (asst. Maitre D'), Ketut (waiter), Anita & Rajeev (asst. waiters) and Sanjay (wine steward).

We've been on many cruises and this group definitely stand out as the best!

I'm probably in the minority, but cutting down on the saturation/vibrancy in Lightroom/Photoshop of the pictures would make them more professional looking.

That is your comment?

I thank the OP for posting the photos.

These days most cameras take pretty good quality pictures (still need a great photographer with a good eye) without having to rely on photoshop to adjust.

Thank you for the wonderful photos. We will be on the Solstice transpacific cruise in October and so particularly interested. I know you hired a car in Papeete but did you notice if there were tours to join/taxis to hire near the docks? It is very difficult to find any tours to book privately.

Looking forward to seeing more photos.