Internet on the Breakaway

nycmode

Hi all, I know there's a cost to web access on the Breakaway ... any ideas on how fast the speed is? I remember using the internet on the Jewel 2 years ago and it was slooow. Did they do anything to improve the speed on the Breakaway?

They can only pull so many cable lines behind the ship to access the internet. And then that ship has even more people onboard using the internet.

can not imagine it will be much different - but I have no idea

I will say it's about the same as on other ships. For the first couple of days, we thought the speed was better than normal, but as the cruise progressed, we found the internet really getting bogged down (perhaps as more people were using it???).

During the week TA I uploaded 60MB of photos on my blog in 100 mins, I thought it was better than on the Epic.

Much of the "perceived" and actual speed is tied to how many are using it at any given time. The pipe is only so wide and when it fills, it fills.

Yeah, just wondering if there was more bandwidth on the new ship, maybe some new technology gizmo would give us more speed :D

Thanks for the tips! I might just go sans internet for 2 days until I get to Bermuda :) I'll um, read a book!

Yeah, just wondering if there was more bandwidth on the new ship, maybe some new technology gizmo would give us more speed :D

Thanks for the tips! I might just go sans internet for 2 days until I get to Bermuda :) I'll um, read a book!

What is the free wifi availability like in Bermuda?

Do most of the bars offer wifi?

What is the free wifi availability like in Bermuda?

Do most of the bars offer wifi?

No. The only bar where I found free WiFi was Flanagans in Hamiltion. 15 minutes.There is free WiFi at the library in Hamilton. Most WiFi in Bermuda is not free. At the Dockyard there is WiFi you can purchase. Even though it is not free you might find it is a better service and better deal than the ships the days docked in Bermuda.

No. The only bar where I found free WiFi was Flanagans in Hamiltion. 15 minutes.There is free WiFi at the library in Hamilton. Most WiFi in Bermuda is not free. At the Dockyard there is WiFi you can purchase. Even though it is not free you might find it is a better service and better deal than the ships the days docked in Bermuda.

Besides the free wifi at the Hamilton library, IIRC, there was a single free internet computer at the Hamilton main post office. To my surprise, it was not in use when I arrived there...

Does MyFi work in Bermuda? I'm sure it will probably be expensive, but either way if it does work I might use bring that with me when I go on the ship ...

I think that term gets used for many things, but if it is a mobile hotspot.. keep in mind it has to connect to the internet somehow before it will work.

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Laszlo, that's reasonable for 72hrs. Do you know if it is accessible on the ship or do they block it?

Thanks

Tony

Sorry, can't answer that one.

Where, specifically is this available for sale?

I believe its like others I have used. You turn on your wifi and the internet service will pop up on a web page asking you if you want to use it. You'll then put in your CC info. Thats my guess

EDIT

On the link to the web site their is a screen shot of the home page, you can see the sign in and password. Their is a place on the right sign to click and sign up for service

My guess is that Ship to Shore Satellite link is bought by NCL in 64 or 96 kiloBit channels from the Satellite provider. The ship probably has a 1 Megabit total capacity which it sells the spare bandwidth to passengers.

Why not more bandwidth? Well your ship is not the only boat on the ocean. Figure 500 large ships each trying to use 1Mb each is 500megabits hitting the satellite and eventually you run out Radio Spectrum available to move your Facebook updates.

You can practice being offline for a week before cruising and may find the Earth will not crash into the Sun while you are relaxing on the high seas.

Archived