Best Beach

baflagg

Hi All,

Anxisouly awaiting our Breakaway cruise on 6/30. We are not planning to do any excursions just whatever we can walk to and see around the dock.

The full day we are in Bermuda we'd like to spend it at the beach. What you would recommend for the best beach for 2 adults and a 6 1/2 year old? We'd like some place with chairs, umbrellas and food/drink options.

As far as transporation we are thinking we will just take a cab so we can go and return at whatever time we want. Does this make sense or would taking a bus be a better option?

Thanks for any info.

Actually, I would say that the beach at Fort St. Catherine, near St. George is the best on the island, but it is a long way from Dockyard. If there are heavy seas on the south shore (where Horseshoe and Elbow are), you should try Shelley Bay - just a bit east of Hamilton - and probably the most sheltered on the island - never rough.

I would second that Fort St. Catherine is one of the best. Doesn't seem to get crowded and you have the fort right next door. No changing facilities but they do have portable units there. Take the ferry to St. George's and walk into town to catch the town crier show. After the show, there is a free shuttle that will take you to the fort. The beach is right next to the fort. When you want to go back, there are generally some cabs that will take you for around 5 bucks. These cabs are the entrepreneurial workers that don't have a real cab so be a careful. We did it without problems.

Hi All,

Anxisouly awaiting our Breakaway cruise on 6/30. We are not planning to do any excursions just whatever we can walk to and see around the dock.

The full day we are in Bermuda we'd like to spend it at the beach. What you would recommend for the best beach for 2 adults and a 6 1/2 year old? We'd like some place with chairs, umbrellas and food/drink options.

As far as transporation we are thinking we will just take a cab so we can go and return at whatever time we want. Does this make sense or would taking a bus be a better option?

Thanks for any info.

Given the choice of Horseshoe Bay Beach and the beach at Fort St Catherine, I'm sorry but HSB would win out every time, JMHO.

Since HSB offers everything you are looking for, there is no need to look any further.

As for a taxi to HSB, the cost would be $25-30 for 1 to 4 passengers, weekday travel.

SBtS

Actually, I would say that the beach at Fort St. Catherine, near St. George is the best on the island, but it is a long way from Dockyard. If there are heavy seas on the south shore (where Horseshoe and Elbow are), you should try Shelley Bay - just a bit east of Hamilton - and probably the most sheltered on the island - never rough.

You may not know that all the facilities at Fort St. Catherine's beach were closed several years ago, as it was supposed to be part of the project (as yet unaccomplished) to redevelop the former Club Med property. As a result it's not someplace that anyone should even mention in same sentence as the words "best beach". My wife used to go there whenever we were docked in St. George's, but after the facilities closed she no longer felt comfortable there as it was largely deserted.

In any event, as you note it's a long way from Dockyard, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to go there from that perspective either.

You may not know that all the facilities at Fort St. Catherine's beach were closed several years ago, as it was supposed to be part of the project (as yet unaccomplished) to redevelop the former Club Med property. As a result it's not someplace that anyone should even mention in same sentence as the words "best beach". My wife used to go there whenever we were docked in St. George's, but after the facilities closed she no longer felt comfortable there as it was largely deserted.

In any event, as you note it's a long way from Dockyard, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to go there from that perspective either.

Granted there are not the "facilities" ( other than the portables), but the beach itself, soft sand, clear water, gentle waves and lack of crowds is what I was talking about when I said "best beach".

You can take an Express bus from the Dockyard to HSB, that would be your best bet. The ride is very scenic, there are changing rooms, rest rooms, and a snack bar where you can also enjoy a beer. Not only can you enjoy the pink sand and ocean water, but off to the right of the beach is a sheltered cove your 6 y/old may enjoy, adults too! Chairs and umbrellas are available for rent as I recall.

Archived